Metagame NP: NU (beta): Welcome to the NU Age (Combusken Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
I for one am willing to surrender to our new leader Archeops.

Seriously though Sycther is gonna be pretty fun and also a good Sawk check:
252 Atk Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Sawk: 332-392 (113.6 - 134.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (of course you need rocks or spikes whhich are easy to get up with our new overlord QWILFISH) It also lives every thing but stone edge:
252 Atk Sawk Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Scyther: 128-152 (45.5 - 54%) -- 43.4% chance to 2HKO. But its gonna need some support from non-boomburst Chatot or something.

Also I can see Chatot putting in work, in can get in on Venomoth Chatter it up and confusion hax away.
I can see people running Nin-Mar or Gore-Mar too. This meta also seems to have a lack of ways to remove hazards since the two birds need Dream World and 6th gen egg moves to do well. I can see Armaldo becoming a popular spinner with the new buffed knock off.

Haha time for nu. The meta is looking quite good honestly from the unofficial matches we've been doing in the NU room. A surprisingly good physical wall and defogger is Pelipper. Who knew the big guy would have a nice niche. It can even run u-turn well. Seismitoad is back and doing as good as always, I'm finding him particularly relevant as the meta is. I honestly might put a fucking Rindo berry on him because of all the HP Grass I've been seeing.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Seriously with all the good Ghost-type Pokemon in this tier... you want to use DUSCLOPS? Here's a list of Pokemon you should consider before even glancing longingly at Dusclops' horrendously misshapen body:

-Mismagius
-Spiritomb
-Doublade
-Gourgeist-XL
-Golurk
-Gourgeist-S
-Drifblim
-Misdreavus
-Rotom-N
-did I mention Mismagius and Spiritomb because they're kind of big deals.
-Haunter
-Lampent
-Dusknoir if you REALLY have to.

You don't even know how happy I am to have Sandslash back in NU (I miss you gen 4) where he is not outclassed by literally everything, and it now gets Knock off, so spinblock it might be painful, looking forward to play this tier :D

Raseri, you missed Hitmonchan on the banlist. (although he'll probably drop eventually)

Had good times in BW NU, and this looks like it's gonna be a fun tier this gen as well. IMO, Venomoth will probably be the first thing to go (whether it's quickbanned or suspected), as it can pass a QD to just about anything with a respectable special movepool (Sceptile, Jynx, Magmortar, Mismagius, Virizion, etc.) or just use it itself and abuse Tinted Lens. Of course, BP will still be around with the likes of Gorebyss and Ninjask in NU.

Speaking of Mismagius and Virizion, those guys were UU last gen. Xatu, too. How the mighty have fallen. Also, Gourgeist had a lot of potential, shame he ended up here. Most of the other drops make sense. Overall, it looks like fun, and I might actually get to playing it soon with finals being almost done.

EV

Banned deucer.
Venomoth got you down? Noctowl has some bulk, Insomnia, Whirlwind, solid recovery with Roost, Defog, and Air Slash/Night Shade as needed. Maybe too situational for the rest of the tier, but until the moth flies away to RU or whatever, it could work.

+1 4 SpA Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Noctowl: 69-81 (17 - 20%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Noctowl: 176-208 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Not saying Venomoth will likely bother to attack, so once it Baton Passes just hit Whirlwind (as long as it doesn't pass to Xatu or something.)

OH MY GOD IT'S HAPPENINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

EDIT: My contribution:
Kecleon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Rock Slide

I'm curious about how the newcomers Pyroar and Malamar will do in NU this gen. Pyroar seems to be an interesting special sweeper, while Malamar still has his usual Contrary gimmicks.

Let me just say that chatot's boomburst hits like an absolute truck.
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 136-160 (46.5 - 54.7%) -- 65.6% chance to 2HKO (and that's SpD)
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 177-209 (60.6 - 71.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 3 layers of Spikes
I find that while frail it will be a giant threat paired with sawk who can eliminate ghosts and steels for chatot to punch holes in with boomburst.
Also before you bring up mushy: +2 252 SpA Life Orb Chatot Boomburst vs. +1 252 HP / 16 SpD Musharna: 320-378 (73.3 - 86.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Let me just say that chatot's boomburst hits like an absolute truck.
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 136-160 (46.5 - 54.7%) -- 65.6% chance to 2HKO (and that's SpD)
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 177-209 (60.6 - 71.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 3 layers of Spikes
I find that while frail it will be a giant threat paired with sawk who can eliminate ghosts and steels for chatot to punch holes in with boomburst.
Also before you bring up mushy: +2 252 SpA Life Orb Chatot Boomburst vs. +1 252 HP / 16 SpD Musharna: 320-378 (73.3 - 86.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
What are you setting up on with Chatot?

And why aren't you using Heat Wave against a Ferroseed?

Like it sounds alright, but Nasty Plot seems really hard to set up. I'd probably use Specs or like Boomburst/Chatter/Heat Wave/Encore or U-turn @ Life Orb or smthn.

Ok chatot aside poliwrath will not leave the mark on the meta like alomomola did but it can be a very effective pokemon, it's rest talk set just refuses to die allowing it to burn and phase for days.
also:
Gogoat @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide/milk drink/brick break

Last edited:
Qwilfish is also another good option this gen not just because of Intimidate but also its access to Spikes. It can set up pretty easily on thing like Scyther, Choice-Fighting-types (Sawk, Ape, etc.), and even Granbull. Spinning and Defog are semi-prevalent, but it has Pain Split to recover a bit and give it a chance to set up Spikes again if they're blown away.

This gen's NU just looks super offensive and scary, but in mostly good ways. Hopefully Venomoth will be gone soon because everyone loves to use the noticeably broken things while they're still here.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

So yea, this thing has INSANE physical bulk, it just laughs at most physical mons and uses them to set up. It gets STAB priority, which is always awesome and it's even better when it's the best offensive typing in the game. It also has awesome defensive typing, can't get toxic'd and resists SR, so wearing it down isn't as easy as it usually is with NFEs. Even tho Shadow Sneak is weak as ass it doesn't matter because Doublade can just go +6 and then it packs some solid punch and allows this badass thing to clean up teams like it's no big deal. Knock Off sucks, but who cares, its defense is sky high even without it.

Also it is a complete stop to Durant, which is obviously incredible, because Durant is amazing and not that easy to deal with.

Yeah, plenty of things are scary in new NU.

Venomoth is obviously broken.

I'm not that worried about Virizion, since its special set sucks with Bug/Flying being very common in NU and its physical set cannot run Substitute unless it wants to be walled to hell and back by half the tier. And Doublade walls it regardless.

Actually, I think Sawk is more dangerous because of that huge attack stat and way better coverage, and with the Knock Off buff there's nothing that can counter it outside of Granbull.

But at this very moment I'm more concerned about the bug in Showdown that causes Firefox to crash whenever I attempt to add a Pokémon to my team.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm not sure that Gogoat will be particularly effective right now. Between the immensely strong Fire-types we have (Typhlosion, Pyroar; both reminiscent of Charizard in BW) and both Virizion and Sceptile as fast, "better" Grass-types, it'll be hard for Gogoat to get a word in edgewise. Plus, its typing is just not great against the threats I'm seeing people use, and stuff like Gourgeist-XL are better answers to Virizion and co. Not to say that it'll be garbage, but yeah I don't think it's worth going for right now.

One Pokemon I'm pretty pumped to try out is Crustle. A hazards-stacking set is pretty plausible and gets some opportunities to set them w/ Sturdy + unique typing that lets it grab layers vs Normals, and a Shell Smash set that reams the Grass- and Fire-types everyone's been using.

Yeah, plenty of things are scary in new NU.

Venomoth is obviously broken.

I'm not that worried about Virizion, since its special set sucks with Bug/Flying being very common in NU and its physical set cannot run Substitute unless it wants to be walled to hell and back by half the tier. And Doublade walls it regardless.

Actually, I think Sawk is more dangerous because of that huge attack stat and way better coverage, and with the Knock Off buff there's nothing that can counter it outside of Granbull.

But at this very moment I'm more concerned about the bug in Showdown that causes Firefox to crash whenever I attempt to add a Pokémon to my team.
Virizion actually laughs at Bug/Flying types thanks to HP Rock, its problem is more in reliance on Focus Blast for fighting STAB.
Sawk can run Poison Jab to try and get past Granbull, but it's an awkward move to get locked into.

Also I have no problems on Firefox, it's probably a problem on your end.

HP Rock and Focus Blast means it still gets walled by Golurk, and HP Rock and Leaf Blade means it gets walled by every single Steel in the tier.
And Doublade does just not give a damn at all even if it runs all three moves, but then Virizion has to sacrifice Substitute.

With the physical set, the same problem occurs; five moves - Swords Dance, Substitute, Close Combat, Leaf Blade and Stone Edge, and four moveslots.

Missing Close Combat means Steels wall you, missing out on Leaf Blade means Golurk walls you and missing out on Stone Edge means all Bug/Flying types wall you.

Missing out on Substitute means you get revenged by Swellow and random Scarfers with 103+ Attack (assuming Adamant and 252 EV's) carrying un-STAB Aerial Ace. However, this does mean Primeape's Aerial Ace is too weak (and Leavanny - the first to reach the benchmark - has better things to do).
Pyroar would also scare Virizion with a STAB Fire Blast and Granbull - despite slower - can take any hit even at +1 and then OHKO with Play Rough.

Last edited:
Arg, so many great mons to choose from >,< don't know where to start, but I think I have to make at least 100 teams for all my ideas. some pokemons i think looks interesting atm would be Granbull: great typing, based coverage in earthquake and a perfect Sawk counter. Im very excited about Gogoat too. recovery, great movepool, high stats and a good abilities. terrible typing. Hariyama and all the sets it can run seems scary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)