Project National Dex POTW #31: Mollymt1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pannu

beyond the farthest stars
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
is potw dead
Nope!

Welcome back to POTW, its-a me pannuracotta and i shall be interviewing semi-recently appointed forum mod, room mod, and overall contributor to the community (hence the badge); Aurodian!
1629598528809.png

Hey Auro, whats up?

Not much, just eating dinner and laddering a little. How about you?

I'm good, trying to get some c&c work done and procrastinating going to bed. Whats good with you outside of Smogon atm, school started yet?

Not yet, waiting on what my results are and see where i go from there with regards to college, otherwise my life is pretty boring atm, can't even find a job or hang out with irl friends cause of COVID

Ah, sadly relateable, gl with college!, speaking of getting c&c work done, you were (kinda) recently added to the NDQC team as well as some other promotions in terms of auth, both on smogon and ps!, mind telling us a bit about what you do in mons?

yea, as of right now my main tiers are SM OU, SM Cap, ORAS Cap, and more importantly Natdex, at which i become a moderator for the forums and the room, as well as contributing to natdex and sm c&c. Overall its been a nice experience so far, moderating is always fun for me and c&c work is a nice and fun way to burn time, shame we're almost done :(( Overall though I'm pretty happy with the work and the people I work with currently in Natdex and SM OU and hope to continue with them.

CAP, the greatest metagame of all time, you should do oldgen CAP analyses once we open them up. Speaking of natdex, howd you get into it?

so true, I was originally a CG OU player mostly, but back in Home Meta in early 2020 where the meta was god awful, I decided to start investing in Natdex a little bit and had fun in it since not gonna lie, a partial part of my attraction to mons is Mega evolution lol. I was also the madman who voted Do Not ban on the mega metagross suspect and generally was pretty mediocre at mons til around fall 2020 where i started to get a bit better with playing and building, though come release of crown tundra i turned my attention away from Natdex for a bit since SS OU seemed interesting, and after the Magearna and Cinderace bans I lost interest in the meta again and started to come back to Natdex, this time focusing more on contributing through hosting tours, projects and getting into c&c work, til eventually i was promoted to moderator. But yea thats my story anyway.

Mega Evolutions are doope, theyre def a big reason i prefer nd to ss. Say, how do you feel about the Community as a whole?

I've liked the friends I've met so far, but for the overall community, I would say though that its rather underwhelming at times, seeing as our commuity isnt the greatest competitive wise save a few, really restricts the potential the meta can overall have, which is unfortunate but so it goes

the skill ceiling can be underwhelming at times yeah, the tight-knit feeling the community as a whole has is really great though. Hows the state of the tier right now, in your opinion?

I think its fine, pretty stable for the most part, though it would be cool if we had magearna still around since building can feel a bit tedious sometimes with certain styles, but I overall enjoy playing it

After having built so many teams having to think about all, what, 6? Different viable Mage sets, i definetly dont miss it. Are there any mons atm you feel are in particular overlooked / underrated by the community?

I think Gking is the biggest victim of this, AV is a solid Spdef sponge that provides a lot to a team thats not passivity, cm sets are also pretty baller though i havent experiemented with that one as much, I also think speed control options like Scarf Tapu Lele and Scarf Kartana are also overlooked and underrated severely, while yea they are certainly not as great as they were previous gen due to the general meta shift, they r still cool options to explore on certain teams and can provide a lot and dont deserve as much hate as they get

I knew i wasnt the only one who liked scarf kart. Now, any pokemon you feel are overhyped atm?

My main qualms are probably Landorus-T and Corviknight. Landorus-T is generally pretty well prepared against on most to all teams, it does offer a lot of roles to a user but i think scouting these sets become relatively easy pretty earlier on in a game, and only so much role compression it can achieve and even with a rise of stuff like gren and vile upon the mage ban, just more ways for teams to pressure lando and disable it from having its ways in battles. Corviknight on the other hand, i feel sometimes people treat it as a god, basically using it to invalidate niche sets or niche mons, there are certainly ways to abuse corv, and a lot at that, I wont deny the mon has godly resistances, immunities and overall role compression but there are ways around it and preventing it from being well, corv, while making these underwhelming options still work, just requires a bit of an overview on playing rather than in the builder, my take on it anyway.

Yeah, these birds do be omnipresent, Almost like doves. Any certain types of builds and pokemon you personally like to use a lot?

Ive been a fan of CorvPexGking cores, a rather nice defensive core and lets u get away with a lot for the other 3 members. I've also been messing around with Power up Punch mega Lopunny on HO and BO and its been pretty nice overall, making mlop a more breaking factor rather than anti offense speed control option, and pulls off this role exceptionally well with its speed tier

mfw gravity lando. Mind sharing a team featuring that core?

:mawile-mega: :tapu-koko: :corviknight: :landorus-therian: :toxapex: :slowking-galar: - one featuring corvpexgking ignore that it gets smoked by gravity lando and yea overall SD Grounds r the main problematic thing, mostly i try to play progressively with mmaw and koko so they dont have an opportunity which has worked out fine for me mostly so far, though team is still in testing periods

:mew: :lopunny-mega: :volcarona: :gyarados: :kommo-o: :weavile: - one showcasing Mlop w Power up Punch, this one has been p good but mostly for laddering purposes with the ladder tour, god knows how it performs in tournaments, the lead should probably be a ground since electrics kinda go in but im too stubborn :x and hasnt proven to be a big problem yet, other big issue is chomp getting up rocks, which can be a pain to kill and cutting into vile, but ive been able to get past it slimly

SD grounds are the best invention of mankind, s/o landorus glisc chomp exca diggesby. Any last things you wanna leave us with? no persona related comments allowed.

hi omicorio

Thank you to auro for their time, feel free to ask them any questions in this thread

Nope!

Welcome back to POTW, its-a me pannuracotta and i shall be interviewing semi-recently appointed forum mod, room mod, and overall contributor to the community (hence the badge); Aurodian!
View attachment 366530

Hey Auro, whats up?

Not much, just eating dinner and laddering a little. How about you?

I'm good, trying to get some c&c work done and procrastinating going to bed. Whats good with you outside of Smogon atm, school started yet?

Not yet, waiting on what my results are and see where i go from there with regards to college, otherwise my life is pretty boring atm, can't even find a job or hang out with irl friends cause of COVID

Ah, sadly relateable, gl with college!, speaking of getting c&c work done, you were (kinda) recently added to the NDQC team as well as some other promotions in terms of auth, both on smogon and ps!, mind telling us a bit about what you do in mons?

yea, as of right now my main tiers are SM OU, SM Cap, ORAS Cap, and more importantly Natdex, at which i become a moderator for the forums and the room, as well as contributing to natdex and sm c&c. Overall its been a nice experience so far, moderating is always fun for me and c&c work is a nice and fun way to burn time, shame we're almost done :(( Overall though I'm pretty happy with the work and the people I work with currently in Natdex and SM OU and hope to continue with them.

CAP, the greatest metagame of all time, you should do oldgen CAP analyses once we open them up. Speaking of natdex, howd you get into it?

so true, I was originally a CG OU player mostly, but back in Home Meta in early 2020 where the meta was god awful, I decided to start investing in Natdex a little bit and had fun in it since not gonna lie, a partial part of my attraction to mons is Mega evolution lol. I was also the madman who voted Do Not ban on the mega metagross suspect and generally was pretty mediocre at mons til around fall 2020 where i started to get a bit better with playing and building, though come release of crown tundra i turned my attention away from Natdex for a bit since SS OU seemed interesting, and after the Magearna and Cinderace bans I lost interest in the meta again and started to come back to Natdex, this time focusing more on contributing through hosting tours, projects and getting into c&c work, til eventually i was promoted to moderator. But yea thats my story anyway.

Mega Evolutions are doope, theyre def a big reason i prefer nd to ss. Say, how do you feel about the Community as a whole?

I've liked the friends I've met so far, but for the overall community, I would say though that its rather underwhelming at times, seeing as our commuity isnt the greatest competitive wise save a few, really restricts the potential the meta can overall have, which is unfortunate but so it goes

the skill ceiling can be underwhelming at times yeah, the tight-knit feeling the community as a whole has is really great though. Hows the state of the tier right now, in your opinion?

I think its fine, pretty stable for the most part, though it would be cool if we had magearna still around since building can feel a bit tedious sometimes with certain styles, but I overall enjoy playing it

After having built so many teams having to think about all, what, 6? Different viable Mage sets, i definetly dont miss it. Are there any mons atm you feel are in particular overlooked / underrated by the community?

I think Gking is the biggest victim of this, AV is a solid Spdef sponge that provides a lot to a team thats not passivity, cm sets are also pretty baller though i havent experiemented with that one as much, I also think speed control options like Scarf Tapu Lele and Scarf Kartana are also overlooked and underrated severely, while yea they are certainly not as great as they were previous gen due to the general meta shift, they r still cool options to explore on certain teams and can provide a lot and dont deserve as much hate as they get

I knew i wasnt the only one who liked scarf kart. Now, any pokemon you feel are overhyped atm?

My main qualms are probably Landorus-T and Corviknight. Landorus-T is generally pretty well prepared against on most to all teams, it does offer a lot of roles to a user but i think scouting these sets become relatively easy pretty earlier on in a game, and only so much role compression it can achieve and even with a rise of stuff like gren and vile upon the mage ban, just more ways for teams to pressure lando and disable it from having its ways in battles. Corviknight on the other hand, i feel sometimes people treat it as a god, basically using it to invalidate niche sets or niche mons, there are certainly ways to abuse corv, and a lot at that, I wont deny the mon has godly resistances, immunities and overall role compression but there are ways around it and preventing it from being well, corv, while making these underwhelming options still work, just requires a bit of an overview on playing rather than in the builder, my take on it anyway.

Yeah, these birds do be omnipresent, Almost like doves. Any certain types of builds and pokemon you personally like to use a lot?

Ive been a fan of CorvPexGking cores, a rather nice defensive core and lets u get away with a lot for the other 3 members. I've also been messing around with Power up Punch mega Lopunny on HO and BO and its been pretty nice overall, making mlop a more breaking factor rather than anti offense speed control option, and pulls off this role exceptionally well with its speed tier

mfw gravity lando. Mind sharing a team featuring that core?

:mawile-mega: :tapu-koko: :corviknight: :landorus-therian: :toxapex: :slowking-galar: - one featuring corvpexgking ignore that it gets smoked by gravity lando and yea overall SD Grounds r the main problematic thing, mostly i try to play progressively with mmaw and koko so they dont have an opportunity which has worked out fine for me mostly so far, though team is still in testing periods

:mew: :lopunny-mega: :volcarona: :gyarados: :kommo-o: :weavile: - one showcasing Mlop w Power up Punch, this one has been p good but mostly for laddering purposes with the ladder tour, god knows how it performs in tournaments, the lead should probably be a ground since electrics kinda go in but im too stubborn :x and hasnt proven to be a big problem yet, other big issue is chomp getting up rocks, which can be a pain to kill and cutting into vile, but ive been able to get past it slimly

SD grounds are the best invention of mankind, s/o landorus glisc chomp exca diggesby. Any last things you wanna leave us with? no persona related comments allowed.

hi omicorio

Thank you to auro for their time, feel free to ask them any questions in this thread

Goat

hello auro
1 what is the best pokemon and why is it mudkip?
2. am i cool?
3. do you agree with my username?
4. do you support return to monke?
5. nothing, have a good day!

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
1. Do you think this is going to be the only generation a natdex metagame is going to exist?
2. I know you are a stall hater (booo), so what is the bulkiest archetype you would call good?
3. If you could suspect anything, already in the tier or from Ubers, what could it be?
4. Do you think it would be a good idea to put pelau in a baguette ???
5. What would be your main critique about Smogon in general?

Steorra

nya smells
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Discord Leader
baguette

1.whats your fav mon
2. Whats your fav food/dish
3. Why isnt pannu banned from nat dex room???
4. Whats your fav mega evolution
1) Pretty tied between Mega Lucario, Mega Mawile and Ash-Greninja but if i had to pick one probably Mega Lucario due to its concept of aura and being the founder of mega evolution, one of my favorite mechanics in pokemon.
2) Waffles and Lime Water is probably one of the best meals Ive ever had.
3) pannuracotta explain
4) well this is awkward... guess read 1)

what is your favourite Pokémon to use
Mega Mawile. Really nice mon to pilot, been using it since SM OU and still love building and playing with it to this day. (R8 PERDEMOS)

hello auro
1 what is the best pokemon and why is it mudkip?
2. am i cool?
3. do you agree with my username?
4. do you support return to monke?
5. nothing, have a good day!
1) It is Mega Lucario and because it is not mudkip.
2) well, are you?
3) idk what it means
4) I do
5) u too

have you received the paychecks i’ve been mailing you the courier keeps giving me some half assed excuse and i’m growing concerned
no I have not, the couriers have told me that they are holding them hostage til you make forum mod transparent on the cord.

where would you rank hail . Ox the Fox and I need to know
Everytime Ive fought Hail Ive had a Gastrodon so my image of it isnt high, but if i had to pick a ranking based on how i think it could be, I'd say B or B+ is a nice place for it, more suitably B.

what’s your favorite sort of bread
Baguette

1.What do you think is the most underrated mon in nd ou and why.
2. Do you think cb or lo sd rila is better overall, or do you think they're both bad.
3. What is your least favorite matchup to go up against, (can be playstyle, specific mon or specific set).
1) This question was asked in the POTW but its gking, too lazy to give reasoning just read the potw.
2) I think SD LO is better, has a nice role on HO and heck Id put it elsewhere as well over banded. Banded just feels very restricting in use due to it being, well a grass type locked into a grass type move... and overall feels like it provides nothing to a team. Still think LO rilla is neat tho
3) Stall because its mostly boring and not even entertaining to fight as its usually i immediately win or i immediately lose, leading to a rather quick game.

1. Do you think this is going to be the only generation a natdex metagame is going to exist?
2. I know you are a stall hater (booo), so what is the bulkiest archetype you would call good?
3. If you could suspect anything, already in the tier or from Ubers, what could it be?
4. Do you think it would be a good idea to put pelau in a baguette ???
5. What would be your main critique about Smogon in general?
1) Its hard to say but i hope not, have had loads of fun here so far and hope to continue in this tier, could see it as a 50/50 possibility.
2) Semi stall ig? My main issue with stall is that in this metagame you cant really manage to cover everything well and stall will always have a defensive hole you can abuse, semi stall ties in a more offensive flavor to it and attempts to remedy some of these issues much better.
3) I would suspect Mega Garchomp out probably, tho its not high in my priorities really, more a courtesy suspect. I'd say free mage but its too soon, only other mon id like to see given another chance is torn t due to how its seen to perform in ss ou, might be similar here who knows.
4) No.
5) Guess how tours and the rest of the community feel so disengaged (see:ou), probably other internal matters as well but not really something i think about often

also this is my 700th post so thats cool

spell

Death and I
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
we back, this time with our most recent Seasonal Winner, Mollymt1!
528612.jpg

Hey Molly!

Hi Omi : )

Hi :) How are you keeping up

I’m doin okay, classes just started this week. Hbu?

Classes just picked up for me again so i've been focusing on that

Oh I hope they r goin well

Now that you've introduced yourself, time to get to the more important Q's... What do you enjoy doing outside of Smogon and tournaments?

Well I just started my sophomore year in college, at a small pilot school. I usually spend my days flying , working out and going out with friends on the weekends haha

Another smogonite who goes to pilot school... amazing..
You recently won ND Seasonal (grats!), how did you get here and (if you can) how did you prep for the later opponents in your run?

Thanks! Well my first tournament I joined was the winter ssnl and i did okay so I really wanted to take myself farther in the spring one. When I was prepping for games I like to make a lot of teams and use different styles because it makes it harder to be cteamed. I’d watch some of their replays and just use whatever I thought could give me the upper hand tbh

Yeah you're definitely one of the hardest people to read, your team choices can vary incredibly even in a single set which is really cool. What is your teambuilding process like? Do you have a more complicated checklist than simply Steel, Gren Check, Ground immune/elec immune etc

I usually take a Pokémon I think is solid and then try find a good partner. The rest of the team I’ll try to cover weaknesses and popular mons like gren clef kartana latis tran lop and chomp.

I see

You're known for your unorthodox picks, which of those do you think is the most splashable/worth a shot? Additionally, what do you think are the most overrated mons a person can add to a team

Mdia is a pretty cool underrated mon. No one specifically prepares for it in the builder so it can be dangerous. As for under-under rated mons shiftry in the sun is kinda cool hehe. +2 solar blade + heat wave doesn’t have a ton of switch ins. I think clef pex corv lati fat are simply not good. There’s a lot of strong breakers such as mawile and kartana that just get free kos

Speaking of Lati, do you think people overprep/overly scared of it when in the builder?

I see weavile a lot these days especially cause of the new SD set so id say it’s naturally checked by most teams in current meta

What do you think is your most consistent team?

:mawile-mega::heatran::tapu-fini::landorus-therian::tangrowth::weavile:

I started building around 4a mawile with Tran and the rest of the team kinda just built itself

Ah, love 4a maw dude...
You are pretty popular in the community, which parts of it do you enjoy and who do you think helps you out/pushes you forward the most?

Ikr mawile so cool. It’s fun playing ladder and seeing Hi Molly a lot lol but can also get annoying. I made 2 friends when i first started playing Clawed Winter and Peap they have definitley pushed me forward the most < 3

NDPL is expected to start this month, do you plan on playing? What do you think this tournament will look like for your Pokémon Battling Career™️?

As of now I’m done with tournaments. I’m pretty satisfied with myself atm in pokemon x ) maybe in the future we’ll seeee

anything else you'd like to say before we end?

Hm I encourage ppl to explore underused Pokémon and styles because there are hidden niches out there and this was so fun thanks for the interview

least I could do :) have a nice day

If you have any questions for Mollymt1, leave them here! Thank you for joining Molly :)

Kyo

In Limbo
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
National Dex Leader
Aegislash is a mon that I feel like I rarely ever see despite it being ranked. Recently had banned user and menace to society Yugon put me on to a pretty nice Aegi set. Have you used Aegislash much? What sets have you found success with?

sup mollymilgoat i have some questions

1. How did you get the name "mollymiltoast"?
2.Do you think nidoking and galar moltres deserve a rise out of the UR group?
3.What is one of the best plays you have ever made in a tournament battle?
4.Whats your favourite song?
5.Do you play any sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)