Project National Dex POTW #31: Mollymt1

Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by Jho and Jordy
hosted by omicorio, pannuracotta

Welcome to National Dex POTW! In this project, I will interview one prominent and influential player every week. Players often keep to themselves, with this fun project, we hope to make players more recognizeable; they will be asked about their thoughts on the metagame, what they do outside of Smogon, etc.

Interviews:

Last edited by a moderator:
The player featuring this week will be none other than Sevelon!

Can you give us a quick overview of what you do outside of Smogon?

Currently i’m in my senior year of high school and i plan to go to college for biochemical engineering and german, and i also work part time at a steel factory.

Can you give us a quick summary of what you’re most known for in National Dex?

Aside from being a room mod and a council member, i think a lot of people know me for my hot takes, which includes using shelmet in the big 5 meta and innovating golurk and mega steelix for uu. a lot of people also seem to think i only play stall, so there’s that too i guess.

How did you get into National Dex?

I got interested in natdex when i found out you guys were suspect testing genesect, since i had played a ton of bw and i hadn’t been able to use genesect in a non-ubers format in a pretty long time. after i got reqs for that, the people in the community were pretty hospitable and seemed to enjoy my presence, so i stuck around and ended up really enjoying the tier (mega blastoise nonwithstanding).

What are your thoughts on the current metagame?

Though i do enjoy the current metagame, i feel like cinderace is very constraining, but a little more manageable with the dracovish ban now that hippowdon is a feasible pick again. dragapult is also super irritating, especially if you expect dragon dance and your mega tyranitar gets u-turned on or will-o-wisped, so it’s also very constraining. hopefully dlc2 won’t break too many pokemon, but im not really holding my breath.

What are your favorite Pokemon and what is your favorite playstyle to use?

I really enjoy mega latias right now, i feel like it being able to blanket check so many pokemon and also check boots bulk up cinderace is really valuable, and consequently i enjoy playing stall since i feel like it always has an out against a particular threat, especially with the mons you have available. one such mon that i quite like for that is gastro acid pyuk for manaphy / reuniclus / gliscor / clefable.

Would you mind sharing a team you have been liking recently?

:gallade-mega::heatran::gliscor::tapu-fini::dragapult::tangrowth:
(click here)

So pretty much i quite like gallade’s wallbreaking ability and nearly uncontested coverage, fini + tang + heatran + ground is also one of the more consistent cores right now imo, and though it’s a little cinderace weak we ball anyway. Also dragapult is broke so it’s the speed control :x.

How has your experience as a manager in NDPL been?

It’s been loads of fun, i’ve really enjoyed interacting with everyone and getting to know them outside of smogon, since they’re all really talented players and great presences as a whole. Hopefully we get the win this week after that stareal vs chazm game; unfortunate does not begin to describe that sequence.

Do you have any advice for players trying to get into National Dex?

Don’t be afraid to ask for advice; we have a very enthusiastic and interactive base of players who are more than willing to help you out with getting started. I can also give people some teams if they need, ive built far too many for pl.

Who do you rate as a player in National Dex? Any top players you look up to? Maybe some up and comers?

I rate Chazm and faded love very highly in terms of playing skill, also i appreciate that ndpl is showing us some more up and coming natdex players, such as devin, Yami, and Maki.

What are you most excited for with the DLC's release?

I’m excited to see tapu koko be solid again and to be right about calyrex being a piece of garbage.

Any closing words?

stream adf samski

I would like to thank Sevelon for his time, and if there's any questions, feel free to ask him in this thread!

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
what is ur favourite pizza topping?

what songs have u been listening the most to?

who is the most fun mon that has been unbanned in natdex and why is it genesect?

on a scale of 1-10, how heat is golurk actually?

with ur anime pfp on discord, do u officially consider urself an eboy?

do u agree that dark mode on discord, ps and smogon is the most optimal colour of choice?

do u also agree that move orders that don't have hazards or setup moves as their first moveslot is cringe?

who do u think is worse for the meta, zygarde or mega metagross?

why are cats infinitely better than dogs?

hot take: anime over adf samski

thanks for coming to my TED talk

Avery

Banned deucer.
what is ur favourite pizza topping?

what songs have u been listening the most to?

who is the most fun mon that has been unbanned in natdex and why is it genesect?

on a scale of 1-10, how heat is golurk actually?

with ur anime pfp on discord, do u officially consider urself an eboy?

do u agree that dark mode on discord, ps and smogon is the most optimal colour of choice?

do u also agree that move orders that don't have hazards or setup moves as their first moveslot is cringe?

who do u think is worse for the meta, zygarde or mega metagross?

why are cats infinitely better than dogs?

hot take: anime over adf samski

thanks for coming to my TED talk
Barbecue chicken and pepperoni

Recently its 1) pressure in my palms 2) dat $tick 3) pizza shop extended

Uhhhh genesect because u turn bot is mad fun but rock polish douse drive is the most fun set i've ever used

i'm an eGIRL

Dark mode is the best color anyone who opposes is beyond wrong (Guardsweeper)

I agree, also the order of moves on corv / zapdos is atk atk roost defog

Zygarde without a doubt however toxic metagross was stupid

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO AGREES cats are the best animal ever domesticated. cute, playful, calm, absolutely perfect

ADF samski is so good please stream

2nd Blood lol

1. Favorite Mega?
  2. Favorite Starter?
  3. Favorite Format beside NatDex?
  4. Fav type?
  5. Fav Pokemon in general?
  6. Why did you innovate Golurk ( I love him and want something good to say about him)?
  7. Favorite/Best Golurk Set?
  8. Burgers or Pizza?
  9. Early morning or late night?
  10. Fav Legendary
Thanks!
1 Mega Absol
2 Chimchar
3 Galar RU is actually such a great format, everyone should play it
4 Dark
5 Bisharp
6 Golurk got poltergeist and all of the sudden had perfect coverage with good ass atk
7 Choice band
8 Pizza
9 Late night
10 Dialga

Whats in your opinion is the funniest pinned message in your discord server?
50681D23-52EA-4826-B0C3-DACFF5DF38DF.jpeg

1. Thoughts on me preferring doggos over cats?
  2. Thoughts the gif/links in my signature?
  3. Correct way to pronounce gif?
  4. Do you think Koko will be quickbanned in dlc2?
  5. Do you think Lele will be quickbanned in dlc2?
  6. Do you think the Latis will be top tier in dlc2?
  7. Thoughts on 3 attack roost zapdos is the current meta?

Avery

Banned deucer.
  1. Thoughts on me preferring doggos over cats?
  2. Thoughts the gif/links in my signature?
  3. Correct way to pronounce gif?
  4. Do you think Koko will be quickbanned in dlc2?
  5. Do you think Lele will be quickbanned in dlc2?
  6. Do you think the Latis will be top tier in dlc2?
  7. Thoughts on 3 attack roost zapdos is the current meta?
1 You're wrong first of all but dogs are cool too
2 Too many to click
3 gif
4 No it'll be an A- mon I feel
5 Yea but we'll see
6 Latias is already top tier but the coverage will probably be somewhat influential despite its lower base power
7 9/10 times I prefer defog but I do like zapdos being able to threaten pretty much every core

1. favorite niche mon
2. worst fighting type mega
3. thoughts on aegislash
4. why in your opinion is aauha the GOAT of natdex

Avery

Banned deucer.
what's been your favorite part of natdex?
why does the Gaygency provide?
coolest battle you've had
how has being an egirl treated you? Any simps?
angriest you've gotten over mons
tell us the truth; did council only let u in to promote the STALL AGENDA?
1 The community is amazing and I really enjoy interacting with everyone
2 We provide because the people cannot provide for themselves
3 I cant find a replay for g1 vs Funbot in week 2 of spring ssnl so have this banger instead - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1153519365
4 It's been fun, yes simps have pm'd me on discord
5 I got so mad over hax that I tore down my curtain rod
6 Of course you fools '-'

1. favorite niche mon
2. worst fighting type mega
3. thoughts on aegislash
4. why in your opinion is aauha the GOAT of natdex
1 Amoonguss
2 Mega Heracross
3 I don't like any defensive set except maybe sub mixed rn, but CB is ok imo and SD is pretty good
4 Flaming hot takes

pannu

beyond the farthest stars
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
opinions on me making you add "seve" to ur highlights
similar to kates question, whats your favourite (natdex) battle that someone else has played but you really liked?
Minecraft base reveal?
is pannuracotta top 5 natdex players y/y

Last edited:

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Favorite music genre?
Best Smogon thread?
In general, what do you build the most?
Should I move to Chicago?
What‘s your favorite type of humor?
Why did you think “Big Fish” was a good name for the Dracovish suspect?
Is there any Pokemon in particular you really hate for personal/competitive reasons?
Favorite YouTuber/YouTube video?
Favorite social media website in general?
How hot are you on a scale of 1-10?

Avery

Banned deucer.
opinions on me making you add "seve" to ur highlights
similar to kates question, whats your favourite (natdex) battle that someone else has played but you really liked?
Minecraft base reveal?
is pannuracotta top 5 natdex players y/y
1 I hate "seve" but fuck it we roll with it
2 https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldexuu-1201585346
- disclaimer the somewhat offensive signs are done by my friend not me
4 I've asked you about your pl record like three times you haven't told me yet

Favorite music genre?
Best Smogon thread?
In general, what do you build the most?
Should I move to Chicago?
What‘s your favorite type of humor?
Why did you think “Big Fish” was a good name for the Dracovish suspect?
Is there any Pokemon in particular you really hate for personal/competitive reasons?
Favorite YouTuber/YouTube video?
Favorite social media website in general?
How hot are you on a scale of 1-10?
1 Hip hop / rock
2 https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/i-want-to-battle-yall´s-leader.3665835/ https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ons-and-their-busts-actually-serious.3610762/ - both of these are amazing
3 Stall and balance, but I'm building more offense lately and its pretty enjoyable
4 Not if you'd like to keep your possessions
5 I find offensive jokes hilarious, unfortunately many people don't so I don't use those kinds of jokes often
6 Dracofish big and hit hard like big fish
7 FUCK sigilyph and I mean that with a passion. CM shift sets don't die, regular CM is phenomenal, and specs tinted lens can blow you away. Thank god its banned from RU now so I'll never have to deal with it again
8 TheRussianBadger is great because his style of humor mirrors my friend group, in particular this video -
9 Instagram is far and away my favorite
10 My face reveal is in krooks discord you can decide for yourself

What is the best rock type and why is it lycanroc?
Who is the best natdex player and why is it me?
What is the best topping on pizza and why is it pineapple?
What is the best game besides pokemon and why is it league?

Avery

Banned deucer.
What is the gaygency
the chicago krookodile and any honorary krooks

What is the best rock type and why is it lycanroc?
Who is the best natdex player and why is it me?
What is the best topping on pizza and why is it pineapple?
What is the best game besides pokemon and why is it league?
1 it’s megatar so we don’t autolose to dd pult
2 yami is the best player alive
3 pepperoni > pineapple > everything else
4 it’s minecraft, admittedly i’ve never played league but jho doesn’t stop playing it therefore it must be ok

The player featuring this week will be none other than National Dex UU's very own tier leader, N_Mareanie!

1603565617564.png

Would you mind telling us a little about what you do outside of Smogon?

I'm currently in college studying communication, which takes up most of my time really. outside of this i just kind of like to hang out with friends, watch anime or youtube or just play some fuck around games like gta or among us. Oh and i write / draw when i have the time to, which hasnt been much lately unfortunately.

What are you most known for in the National Dex community?

I'm guessing most people know me for being founder and current tier leader of national dex uu (goat tier btw), but some ppl might know me from earlier of being part of natdex VR council and certified aegislash hater.

What do you like most about the National Dex format as a whole and how did you get into it?

I love natdex because i love that every single pokemon is available as well as past mechanics such as mega evolution, which is my fav mechanic of all time. not to mention i absolutely love the community, everyone is very nice and cool to talk to. I got into it because i wanted to immediately play with every pokemon from past gens, and generally love higher power level tiers, which is the reason why i jumped immediately to natdex.

Since you mostly play National Dex UU, what Pokemon from the DLC are you most excited to see drop to UU? And what about Pokemon that got new tools?

I'm extremely excited for galarian moltres to drop. It's really sad that it didn't get roost, but the design is still fire and i can see dual dance dual stab sets putting work. Galarian slowking is also exciting as an addition (also please drop melmetal and tapu koko <3) when it comes to new movepool additions, dd + wingbeat mega aerodactyl is definitely the one that stands out the most. Extremely crazy sweeper which puts in lots of work literally every game. Other than that, im loving sand rush dracozolt, and shoutouts to flip turn swampert.

What is your favorite Pokemon and kind of archetype to use in National Dex UU?

My fav mon in UU rn has got to be zeraora. I love voltturn offense and i personally think it's one of the strongest playstyles right now, and i think zeraora offers a lot to that specific playstyle, and is generally very solid because of elec immune, knock, high speed tier and volt.

Would you mind sharing an example of such a team?

:mienshao::zeraora::slowking::rotom-wash::moltres::jirachi:
(click here)
This is a classic example of just ''click momentum and win''. it's rlly effective and i like it a lot.

:diggersby::zeraora::slowking::scizor::rotom-heat::cobalion:
(click here)
I also had this team which was definitely more effective, but diggersby is banned (good riddance).

:cobalion::skarmory::zeraora::starmie::obstagoon::urshifu:
(click here)
This has been my fav voltturn lately.

How was your experience in NDPL as a player and co-manager?

I loved participating in ndpl, despite the disappointing performance of myself. I think it was rlly fun seeing ppl experiment in natdex uu, and had a lot of fun co-managing and talking to people i'd generally never rlly talk to otherwise.

Any last things you want to leave us with?

#FreeStaraptor

I would like to thank N_Mareanie for his time and feel free to ask him any questions in this thread!

Last edited:

Avery

Banned deucer.
hi mareanie uwu

what’s your top 5 shiny pokemon

what are your thoughts on spectrier / glastrier / regieleki / regidrago if they were to fall to uu

do dutch people really exist? why?

what kind of music do you enjoy most

what’s the most fun tier you’ve ever played (natdex aside)

hope you’re having a good one, take care

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
What are your thoughts on Sword and Shield in general?
Did you like DLCs or do you prefer 3rd versions?
Do you have hot anime takes?
What bothers you the most about NatDex UU right now?
Did the Skarms deserve to go 1-4 in NDPL?
Do you think the Golurk hype is justified?
Favorite food?
Favorite music genre?
Do you prefer reading manga or watching anime?
Do you think we will see an N_Toxapex?

Should I keep Mega Ray as my profile pic?

What if Glastrier and Spectrier dropped to UU?

Do you think the ladder will ever allow Melm or Koko to drop to UU?

Is Regieleki gonna be the new Volcanion?

What do you think of the gif/links in my forum signature?

Is Mareanie your favorite Pokémon?

Batzi

“I’m Cosmo Kramer, the Assman!”
is a Tiering Contributor
Thoughts on if ghost horse drops to UU?

How do you manage playing a tier where it takes 5 mins per waiting time?

Who do you think is better: skarm or celesteela?

Favourite rock band?

Favourite sporting team?

Top 5 aot characters?

Who are some of the best nduu players in your opinion?

When are you ranking mglalie
1:
1. Eren Yeager
2. Eren Yeager
3. Eren Yeager
4. Eren Yeager
5. Eren Yeager

if we're not being factual though:
1. Eren
2. Hange
3. Mikasa
4. Levi
5. Gabi

i think all characters are insanely good though and love zeke, armin, yelena, onyan, annie, pieck, falco and even other side characters like nile and pyxis
god why is it so good

2:
ofc s/o to !!11!1!! and Niadev here, but i think other players like raj, lily, and drud deserve solid recognition, though i think a lot of ppl are extremely solid

3:
when melmetal and tapu koko drop

hi mareanie uwu

what’s your top 5 shiny pokemon

what are your thoughts on spectrier / glastrier / regieleki / regidrago if they were to fall to uu

do dutch people really exist? why?

what kind of music do you enjoy most

what’s the most fun tier you’ve ever played (natdex aside)

hope you’re having a good one, take care
hi sev OwO

1:
1. Shiny Mega Gardevoir
2. Shiny Giratina / Giratina-Origin
3. Shiny Primal Kyogre / Primal Groudon
4. Shiny Mega Gengar
5. Shiny Yveltal

2:
Spectrier - should be solid honestly. our ghost resists are relatively lacking + z-mud shot genuinely doesn't sound bad. u outspeed weavile meaning it can't rlly pursuit trap you, and if ur sub nasty u beat krook as well. im excited for it!

Glastrier - 30 speed turned me off a lot but it has extremely solid bulk + high attack, as well having ice + fighting coverage, as well as swords dance, meaning i don't think it'll be the worst. ill have to see though, 30 speed just doesnt sit right with me...

Regieleki - if we ban every ground type in the tier ill use it. if that isn't the case, good luck. we have too many good grounds (pert/seis/gastro/megalix/krook/mamo/hippo/rhyp) and those are already kinda mandatory, so eh. the speed is cool though

Regidrago - no

3:
they do and they will colonize your house

4:
i generally don't listen to any exclusive genres, but i tend to listen the most to metal i suppose

5:
gen6pu and gen7ru. absolutely fire tiers and gen7ru is the only true balanced meta that exists.

thank you, have a nice one yourself :)

What are your thoughts on Sword and Shield in general?
Did you like DLCs or do you prefer 3rd versions?
Do you have hot anime takes?
What bothers you the most about NatDex UU right now?
Did the Skarms deserve to go 1-4 in NDPL?
Do you think the Golurk hype is justified?
Favorite food?
Favorite music genre?
Do you prefer reading manga or watching anime?
Do you think we will see an N_Toxapex?
1:
horrible games, disgrace to the franchise. garbage story, garbage mechanic in dynamax, money grabbing games is the nicest things i can say, not a single form of love was put in these games. worst 60 bucks spent in my entire life.

2:
competitively wise: DLCs. i like things shaking up once in a while.
but as a fan of the games i like 3rd versions generally more considering they expand more on story and lore (not like those are good anymore though lol)

3:
i do not. all my takes are factual and correct

4:
final_5c116a45e849bc001245aa88.jpg

5:
no, but we did it on purpose so the rest of the teams got a fair chance this time. we'll be back stronger than ever next time

6:
the first month, now it's bad. i am sorry.

7:
tuna pasta is the best shit ever

8:
metal

9:
generally reading manga cause i think anime adaptations are generally worse, but there are some rlly good anime out there as well

10:
absolutely not.

Should I keep Mega Ray as my profile pic?

What if Glastrier and Spectrier dropped to UU?

Do you think the ladder will ever allow Melm or Koko to drop to UU?

Is Regieleki gonna be the new Volcanion?

What do you think of the gif/links in my forum signature?

Is Mareanie your favorite Pokémon?
1:
no, calyrex-shadow has taken over the throne. step aside buddy

2:
glastrier is ugly and slow, but it got epic coverage so ill use it
spectrier runs like a cartoon character and has dogshit coverage, but has epic speed so ill use it

3:
no, but ill force them to

4:
as long as aim doesnt use regieleki in natdex we should be good

5:
EPefUfEU4AAvM1l.jpg

6:
nope, but i like it!

Thoughts on if ghost horse drops to UU?

How do you manage playing a tier where it takes 5 mins per waiting time?

Who do you think is better: skarm or celesteela?

Favourite rock band?

Favourite sporting team?
fast and is ghost, should be epic

2:
i just vibe to music while waiting, but i generally ask ppl to test things with me + host tours in the natdex OMs room. also ofc NDPL is a thing where u can play and also watch replays

3:
skarmory

4:
Skillet

5:
myself trying to submit my assignments on time (I dont watch sports)

Sorry for being a little late on this, the player that was supposed to feature last week is none other than National Dex's very own leader, Jho!

1604316426475.png

What do you do outside of Smogon?

Outside of smogon I am an accounting and (soon to be) Computer Science graduate w an unhealthy addiction to League. Chances are If I'm online I'm in a TFT game. Recently I've been enjoying Genshin a lot too.

What are you most known for inside the National Dex community?

I would guess I'm most well known for being one of the Tier Leaders and Room owners of NatDex. I got into National Dex in around Decemeber/January ish as I was wasn't really a fan of the SS metagames and was looking for something different to play. I bounced around trying to learn ADV and DPP for a little bit before finding and sticking to National Dex since then since gen 6 and 7 are some of my favourite gens competitively and National Dex was really similar to those.

How did you get into National Dex?

The format reminds me of the best parts of the ORAS and USM metagames which are both my favourite generations competitively. I feel like Mega Pokemon are a big allure of National Dex and it was no different w me, I think Megas are the best thing that gf added to the series and was really sad to see them not in Gen8.

What do you like the most about the format and community?

What I enjoy about our community is how tightknit it seems and there is an air of fun-ness about it whenever you see names like sev and s&L and gomi and salad and everyone else chatting in the discord or the room. There's very little hostility in this community which is something I really enjoy.

How do you feel about the state of the National Dex metagame right now? Any Pokemon that stick out as issues to you?

I don't think I've hidden the fact that I don't like the current state of the National Dex metagame; I find it incredibly boring. 9 times out of 10 you have these blissey balance wars that come down to CM Clef vs CM clef or CM Lati vs Cm Lati etc or you have Dragapult sweeping unimpeded and theres not a whole lot of in-between. I think the biggest curator of this is Dragapult currently since it skews matchups so heavily.

Are there any Pokemon you don’t think are rated enough / rated too highly?

Unsurprisingly I think Suicune is better than people give it credit for currently - it thrives in these really fat metagames but does fall down very easily to most of the offenses that people are using right now. Other than Suicune I think non-Mega Tyranitar deserves a lot more usage because its really good. Something that I think is a little overrated right now is Mega Lopunny. Its pretty good don't get me wrong but I think it struggles quite a lot in a metagame where Toxapex, Clefable, Zapdos, Slowbro, Gliscor, and even Reuniclus are prevalent.

What is your favorite Pokemon and kind of archetype to use in National Dex? And would you mind sharing a team that reflects that?

Well my favourite Pokemon in general is Roserade which is unfortunately unviable. Mega Altaria is a mon i also quite like but is rarely ever useable in a Metagame at the power level of NDOU; back when it was good during the Urshifu metagame I really enjoyed using it though, specifically this team which I spammed a lot.

:zapdos::altaria-mega::alomomola::chansey::quagsire::ditto:
(click here)

My favourite Pokemon to use in the current metagame is for sure Hex Dragapult. While not quite as potent as DD Dragapult in a lot of situations I quite enjoy the playstyle of slowly making progress by forcing status through lures / tspikes for Dragapult to go in later. I used a build like this in seasonal recently.

:toxapex::landorus-therian::ferrothorn::latias-mega::clefable::dragapult:
(click here)

As part of the winning NDPL team, how was your experience as a manager?

NDPL was honestly such a fun experience, my entire team clutched up and I'm really glad I drafted each and everyone one of them as they contributed to a really great team atmosphere which evidently paid off in the end. Honestly I didn't have to do too much as a manager everyone was really motivated to prep and build for each other without me so I was basically just morale support and a little bit of help in prep ahah.

Are there any upcoming things from National Dex that people should be excited about?

Upcoming things to look forward to are the Blaziken, Zamazenta, and Naganadel unbans, as well as the recent suspect test that was alluded to in the latest council minutes post

Any last things you want to leave us?

S/o to the pexes once again I look forward to the next tour yall were great. The above was also a joke we are not unbanning them.

I would like to thank Jho for his time and feel free to ask him any questions in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)