My First Warstory (Cliche Title for a story with a twist!)

Yeah. Other than the random Blisseys and Celebis I've seen carry Stealth Rock, I can usually tell if a Pokemon has it. If SR is out in play, I usually wishpass to negate the loss. Obviously a rapid spinner is better, but I play with a team of favourites. They just happen to really work together as a team.

Butterfree hardly counts as a 4x weak seeing as it's usually crippled after the first turn anyway >_>; Just not in this case.
It seems like a good team. Not sure how Raichu fairs, but I have used Milotic, Umbreon and Dragonite myself and they did very well. I guess Butterfree doesn't really have to worry about SR, but if it U-Turns out it could have some troubles. Although, it would probably be owned by most leads anyway, lol.

Wait a second, so are these stories made up by people or are they actually what happened? Because ShadowNinja just used it in the way of fiction, not documentary.

And, 100th post, I'm getting there.
Lol, I ment I'm going to try and make one entertaining. My friend and I had a great battle earlier today. I'm typing up what happened and trying to make it entertaining.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Bellyzard really came through for you. And its been so long since I saw a Butterfree competitively battling.

ET is a (BAN ME PLEASE).

Good battle, and butterfree is awesome. Stun/sleep/u-turn/aerial ace?

I lost to this in the tourney, partially due to my bad luck, and partially due to complete suprise.

When I first saw the teams, I registered three things-

1. Oh god this team is so SR and Sandstorm weak
2. ET has two pokemon with Sandstream and I really doubt that nothing else knows SR
3. Wouldn't it be great if those standards got owned?

Ah well, I was half right. Everyone is just saying the same thing, at how surprised they were to see Zard and Free kill Blissey and co. To be fair though, Firestorm did have a tremendous amount of luck on his side when battling Cressalia. I really do admire that Salac Berry twist though, good thinking.

All I've got to say is you've got some stones to use Bellyzard without even a rapid spinner. <3 Bellyzard but I think he's just too difficult to wield anymore.

I was about to complain you violated sleep clause, until I realised that it was Blissey you sent to sleep first not Hippo lol.

Congrats and everything. Also D/C'ing during a battle really annoys me for two main reasons. Firstly, if you D/C after the battle has ended it still doesn't record a loss. Secondly, NO ONE ELSE CAN EVEN SEE YOUR RECORD. Does it really matter to yourself that much that you lost your second battle and it tells you that? If you only cared about your image then just lie to people...

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
akayfortyseven said:
You can see someones record in the 'lobby' iirc, by selecting them and going to 'records'.
That is only their record against you, on that specific friend code.

Nice, both pokemon I've been seriously considering raising, basically to use as you did.
Probably won't though, trying some other stuff out now.

Anyway, his leading with Hippowdown screwed over the whole match.

It's not a good lead pokemon - Butterfree is not a fast pokemon and and normal teams lead pokemon would have outsped it, and probably OHKO'd it.

Congrats on the win though, Butterfree and Charizard FTW, but leading with such a slow pokemon is what lost the game for him really.

I mean seriously, what's it supposed to do as a lead? XD

Nice, both pokemon I've been seriously considering raising, basically to use as you did.
Probably won't though, trying some other stuff out now.

Anyway, his leading with Hippowdown screwed over the whole match.

It's not a good lead pokemon - Butterfree is not a fast pokemon and and normal teams lead pokemon would have outsped it, and probably OHKO'd it.

Congrats on the win though, Butterfree and Charizard FTW, but leading with such a slow pokemon is what lost the game for him really.

I mean seriously, what's it supposed to do as a lead? XD
Set up Sandstorm? Using Tyranitar as a lead on Sandstream teams is spelling its doom, a ton of common leads have fighting-type attacks.

Though, on this team, using Hippowdon/Sandstorm was kind of stupid... If you're going to use Sandstorm for your team you should include Pokemon that take advantage of it, like the landshark and Cacturne (I've used Cacturne to some extent, it's not actually all that bad).

Edit: Strange, I thought I had already offered congratulations for such a great match. Since I haven't: Congratulations for the win! Your usage of Butterfree and Charizard was genius, although it's a shame your Raichu never came out. What was its moveset?

Hippowdown as a lead is just dumb it's too slow to do anything, so what if it starts a sandstorm?

It's basically asking for something to pwn on in and set up.

Hippowdown as a lead is just dumb it's too slow to do anything, so what if it starts a sandstorm?

It's basically asking for something to pwn on in and set up.
It's slow and strong, exactly like Tyranitar. I don't exactly see the difference except that one has a glaring X4 weakness to the most common attack type in the metagame.

The point of using Hippowdon is to set up Stealth Rock/attack for SE damage with its huge attack stat, if I'm not mistaken. It learns all the elemental fangs and Crunch, Earthquake and Stone Edge, so it can hit pretty damn hard. The only thing I could see OHKOing it are Special sweepers like Starmie (not a common lead) hitting with a super-effective attack.

The problem though, is that most leads are faster than Hippowdon and if he happens to be up against one that has Hypnosis or a sleep move, then fat Hippo is basically screwed a turn and you have to switch out. Statusing moves are not at all uncommon. Lucario that are Special based leading also gives him problems. That's why Hippowdon is decreasing in use

However, if Hippowdon had set up Stealth Rock, then FS88's team could have faced the prospect of losing switching a lot in battle. The reason why it is ideal not to have more than 2 pokemon weak to Stealth Rock on your team

The problem though, is that most leads are faster than Hippowdon and if he happens to be up against one that has Hypnosis or a sleep move, then fat Hippo is basically screwed a turn and you have to switch out. Statusing moves are not at all uncommon. Lucario that are Special based leading also gives him problems. That's why Hippowdon is decreasing in use
Yeah, I was thinking about faster guys that can put you to sleep, but if the point is to get Sandstorm up, then Hippowdon's already accomplished its job.

Personally I would likely switch to a Pokemon that could absorb a status (maybe Blissey, though on a Sandstorm team that's iffy...) and save Hippowdon for further use. I'm not an expert on Sandstorm teams, but that's what seems to work.

Maybe it's just my team then, I know for sure that Hippodown poses absolutely no threat, and such a slow pokemon = other team loses.

Basically what happened in this fight, lol.

Now that I look at it, EeveeTrainer's team is slow as hell. The only decently Speeded pokemon on his team is Starmie, and even that get's outspeeded by Weavile, who kills his entire team once Skarmory is dead

Hey guys! Do you know what's coming next? I know what's coming next! If you don't know what's coming next, then pay attention because once Charizard uses substitute, it's time to hit the panic button! (or bring out your damn Ice Shark, Extremespeed, etc)

Should I post our GAF match?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OK, guys, Blissey is not a Sleep absorber. I'll say that again. Blissey is not a Sleep absorber. Blissey gives Sleepers a free turn. Say they have out Breloom and you know they're using Spore. You switch in Breloom to take it. Then you switch out Blissey as they Focus Punch. Then they just use Spore again. Rinse and repeat. If you have a Salamence and they aren't dumb, they may just Spore your Blissey again as you switch to it, if they want to kill it so much. Or worse, Breloom uses Sub as you bring in Blissey, then Spores, then Focus Punches as you switch out. It's not behind a Substitute (blocking Intimidate), and can Spore your Salamence or whatever, and then Focus Punch or Sub again.

Curious as to what Butterfree does exactly, as all I saw it do was Sleep Powder and Sunny Day.

I'm not exactly sure what the hell ET was trying to do either, he just seemed to switch around his Pokemon and not really do anything. Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you pull back a Skarmory against Butterfree? Why not switch to Hippo after a Belly Drum to at least kill off the Sunny Day, instead of making both Blissey and Skarmory take sacs?

Curious as to what Butterfree does exactly, as all I saw it do was Sleep Powder and Sunny Day.

I'm not exactly sure what the hell ET was trying to do either, he just seemed to switch around his Pokemon and not really do anything. Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you pull back a Skarmory against Butterfree? Why not switch to Hippo after a Belly Drum to at least kill off the Sunny Day, instead of making both Blissey and Skarmory take sacs?
Butterfree is strictly a support-type of Pokemon, sort of like Smeargle+Ingrain(+BP+Substitute) on a Baton Pass team. Firestorm played it perfectly, using it to status his opponents, provide a Sunny Day boost to Charizard+screw up Hippowdon and Tyranitar's Sandstorm, and U-turning into another Pokemon when needed.

Good point about ET not switching in Hippowdon to ruin the Sunny Day for Charizard's rampage (or anything else), though. He could've easily KO'd it with Sandstream alone if he were able to keep most of his Pokemon alive long enough for it to wear down Bellyzard. Ah well, that's idiocy/panicking for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)