Other Most overhyped or underated aspect this gen so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember people saying how special attackers would be much weaker with nerfs on surf, ice beam, t-bolt, fire blast, draco meteor, etc., but they're really only 5-10 points difference and you hardly notice. Only exception being Hidden Power, which effectively went from 140 to 120 when it's against something where it's 2x effective.

Also diggersby tho. Sorry. But that whole thing was stupid.

Malamar was pretty hyped up as well. It just isn't fast enough or have enough special defense or recovery, and its stabs are weaker than superpower.

Cheesy weather teams like drizzle swim spam are pretty underprepared for, they're still viable despite the weather nerf. Also some of the other ubers who dropped down, like Manaphy and Tornadus-T, who still work great but get kind of forgotten.

I would say, this generation had more underhype than overhype. My thoughts thereon:

Megas: Remember, how M-Kangaskhan game out of nowhere and savaged the metagame? People did not see that coming. Even M-Garchomp was dismissed as a worse Garchomp, even when they play totally differently. Really, the only bad megas are M-Alakazam and maybe M-Abomasnow.

Fairies: There was a lot of overhype in the first few months, but really, except for a few of these (sorry Salamence and Hydreigon), it's hard to answer 600 BST monsters with just a new type. But even among these we had severely underrated things like Clefable, for which we had to take two months to realise, how good it is, and which people were writing off as an inferior Sylveon at first (which was more overhyped if anything!) I also remember, how people were writing off Azumarill as crap... and then it instantly jumped into top 15 in 1850+ OU stats.

Weather: A lot of people think, that the weather nerf means the death of weather teams, but people do not prepare themselves for weather HO. Then there are things like Manaphy, which are still as devastating as ever.

Other things: Talonflame. Oh god, Talonflame. Remember how people were making fun of you for being "LOL ROCK'S GREATEST HITS"? And now people are hating you for being revenge-killer extraordinaire. Some people are never pleased. On that note, M-Pinsir. (Not M-Charizard though because well, it's Charizard.)

Some things I think were overhyped: Malamar (its stats aren't very good and its Contrary gimmick isn't good enough to make an OU-team), Greninja (it's a nice revenge-killer and all, but it's terribly brittle and not very powerful even with Protean. also rapid spin lol), Goodra (most because of the stupid "muh goomy is le life xD" but as a special tank, I've found it not very hard to break down)

I also wouldn't say, Aegislash and Lucario were overhyped. The SD+King's Shield sets are pretty bad, but nowadays have most people caught onto how good the mixed sets are. Same goes for M-Lucario and the discovery of its disgusting special-sweeping set, and a few people, who are even using mixed sets. In hindsight seems the hype fairly justified.

Last edited:
Aegislash was completely overhyped. It's fun to watch people use the King's Shield/Swords Dance/Shadow Sneak/Sacred Sword set and eventually find out how terrible it is at sweeping and wallbreaking.

Overhype: Aegislash... especially the King's Shield sets.
Underhype: Aegislash... especially its special attacking movepool.

Overhype: Greninja. Where's my rapid spin?

Underhype: Does anyone remember how Talonflame went? Talonflame is undergoing a bit of a hypefest, but lets be honest... it deserves it. When Talonflame first came out, early in the game, no one seemed to care. Brave Bird? Off of 81 attack? Yeah right... 4x weakness to Stealth Rocks? Oh... how wrong we were.

Overhyped: megas (most pokemon hit harder with a life orb than their mega-evos)

Still massively overhyped for some ridiculous reason: greninja

Under hyped: Klefki/whimsicott

Non-Mixed Aegislash and Sticky Web were completely overhyped. It didn't take long for everyone to realize that sticky web doesn't get good enough distribution to be as viable as the other hazards, and mix Aegislash is ultimately superior, due to shadow sneak's low BP and the nature of Stance Change.

Underhyped: Mega Lucario and Mega Kangaskhan are ridiculous threats that weren't discussed at any point before now.

Biggest overhype seemed to be Sticky Web. Heavy Offense is over! According to everyone. And then they realized how sacrificing a team member to use it, Defog, Rapid Spin, and Flying/Levitate immunity meant it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Man, people thought that EVERY team would use it and that it would replace Stealth Rock, but thanks to its distribution, it hasn't. Unless something like Scizor gets it then its as gimmicky as Trick Room

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Biggest overhype seemed to be Sticky Web. Heavy Offense is over! According to everyone. And then they realized how sacrificing a team member to use it, Defog, Rapid Spin, and Flying/Levitate immunity meant it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Man, people thought that EVERY team would use it and that it would replace Stealth Rock, but thanks to its distribution, it hasn't. Unless something like Scizor gets it then its as gimmicky as Trick Room
In LC, pawniard gets a free +2 whenever sticky web is up. Its pretty hilarious and has killed SW's already low usage in that tier.

I feel like sticky web came in the wrong gen, it may have been a little better if defog had not been buffed.

The move being tied to suicide leads only would probably have killed it last gen, this gen Defog + Excadrill being freed from ubers were just the final two nails in a coffin that was practically pre-built.

Another poke that i agree was was extremely overhyped even to now is greninja who may be extremely diverse but is extremely frail and lacks power even with its stab attacks

Yeah, it's funny looking at the Sticky Web thread (heh, that's a pun) and reading all of the "Galvantula is going to change the way the game is played" posts.

As for Goodra, I think its main problem is how outclassed it is by Latias, which has Defog, fabulous base 110 Speed, a great Fighting resistance, Healing Wish, and not one, but TWO reliable recovery moves. Seriously, it gets Roost AND Recover. Goodra is jealous. Also, I don't know why anyone hyped Noivern at all, it's so obviously outclassed by just about every other OU Dragon.

Over hype: DEFOG
So many people were like "Hyper OFfense is Dead! Stealth Rocks Are Dead!
Yet here we are, rocks are on every team, spikes are common, and Deoxys Hyper offense is the most common (and IMO best) playstyle

And Mega Pinsir is straight up amazing

Yeah, it's funny looking at the Sticky Web thread (heh, that's a pun) and reading all of the "Galvantula is going to change the way the game is played" posts.

As for Goodra, I think its main problem is how outclassed it is by Latias, which has Defog, fabulous base 110 Speed, a great Fighting resistance, Healing Wish, and not one, but TWO reliable recovery moves. Seriously, it gets Roost AND Recover. Goodra is jealous. Also, I don't know why anyone hyped Noivern at all, it's so obviously outclassed by just about every other OU Dragon.
Noivern is an excellent revenge killer for anything in the tier, gets infiltrator, u-turn, switcheroo, and Hurricane. I don't think Noivern's very good, but it's not outclassed.

Greninja was never about power. Greninja is not meant to sweep teams and playing it that way is playing it wrong. It's meant to switch-in, use its base 122 speed to its advantage, and then play mindgames with the opponent. It's got a pretty wide movepool which it can easily take advantage of, as well as a typing that can be quite literally anything you want it to be. And then, when you're threatened, you U-turn out. Sure it'll go down in usage because it doesn't fit every team archetype, but it's also not something I felt was overhyped by most players, other than those who saw Protean as a tool of offense, rather than momentum.

Over-hyping and Under-hyping; eh?

Over-Hype
- Greninja:

Sorry; but I just do not think this thing is as good as people give it credit for. It's frail; it dosen't hit that hard; Protean can easily be used against it; it lacks recovery and usually runs a Life Orb as well; so it's not living very long. Priority is more common than ever and with Greninja being very frail it can't take many hits from it.

I'm not saying it's the new Electivire; not by any means. But it's not as good as people are claiming.

- Talonflame

See Greninja. It's not bad. By no means is it bad. But it's not as good as people say it is. It takes 50% from SR alone. It has weaknesses to three very common attacking types [Water; Electric and Rock] to the extent it is harder to list pokemon that cannot OHKO Talonflame on the switch-in. Brave Bird has recoil. Then there's a potential Life Orb on top of all that; and the fact that Tyranitar hard counters Talonflame; can set up rocks; pursuit it; or even DD on it!

I've never really had a problem against Talonflame. At best it seems to 2-for-1 with a sacrifice to get it in. Of course it stops sweeps where others may have failed; but it's not some godly bird.

- The Fairy Type in general

So; everyone said Fairy would end Dragon and everything like that? Well; we are seeing a little less Dragonspam; but I'd say that's more down to dragons lacking priority to out-priority Talonflame; and the existance of Ageislash than the Fairy-type. The only *good* Fairy types are Klefki [Who dosen't use it's Fairy STAB most of the time] and Azumarill [Who usually Aqua Jets].

- Sticky Web
Turns out it's not really worth it with so much Priority around and Galvantura generally being a liability.

Under-Hyped
- Mega Kangashkan
Sooooo many people ignored this thing when it first came out. So many. This thing managed to get quickbanned. Mega Kanga slipped under the radar completely for a good 3~4 weeks; when; IMO; it was more broken than Mega Gengar was.

- Klefki
Not sure why people suddenly stopped using this thing. Swagger; Foul Play; Sub; runs a Torment set better than Heatran ever could; Spikes; Thunder Wave a great typing; Hell; I even saw a CroKey once that was pretty awesome. Priority Dazzling Gleams from Sleep Talk anyone?

- Mega Tyranitar

I'm saying this as a personal under-hype too. Mega Tyranitar is actually scarier than I gave it credit for. I never realised how bulky this thing is; especially under the sand. Setting up Dragon Dances is a literal cakewalk. Base 95 Sp.Atk makes MegaTyraniboah a legitimate threat as well; especially since Base 154 Atk dosen't exactly need investment to kill most things in a single blow. [Not like you need to OHKO with 100/150/120+Sand Defenses]

You can even keep this thing healthy quite easily with Wish support.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Mega kanga only slipped under the radar for like 2 weeks due to Parental Bond not being implemented in PS

The second it was actually fully in people figured out how good it was lol

Over hype: DEFOG
So many people were like "Hyper OFfense is Dead! Stealth Rocks Are Dead!
Yet here we are, rocks are on every team, spikes are common, and Deoxys Hyper offense is the most common (and IMO best) playstyle

And Mega Pinsir is straight up amazing
Wut... it isn't overhyped at all... Defog is becoming more and more common on teams and is anything but overhyped for the versatility of options it provides.

How about underhyped: Mandibuzz for every part of last gen and still most of this gen. You STILL can't kill it.

I've called greninja the rhyperior of gen 6 but that's a bit misleading. While both were massively overhyped, people are actually using greninja. As it's objectively underwhelming in every area, I can only chalk it up to new car smell.

But damn...I forgot about sticky web. The words 'sticky web support' got really friggin annoying and I haven't seen every-friggin-pokemoning on that level since magnezone.

Reference:
"Dude, you're totally wrong about [insert crappy pokemon name here]. With three layers of spikes, rocks, wish support, magnezone support, dual screen support and 6 dragon dances passed to it, it sweeps whole teams!"

"Every. Friggin. Pokemon."

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Underhyped:

Assault Vest in general. I feel like I haven't seen as much talk about that as I should have. AV turns a lot of bulky monsters into EVEN BULKIER monsters.

Overhyped
Fairies were a bit Overhyped.
Mawile, especially. My current favorite Fairy still has a good check in Earth Power and Fire Blast, both of which Hydreigon and Noivern (latter especially) can inflict a good amount of damage if Mawile and even M-Mawile have uninvested EVs in SpDef or w/o AV.
Also, Lucario's Special Offense set can do quite some damage with Aura Sphere.

Underhyped
Unburden Slurpuff w/ Belly Drum and Sitrus Berry
One of the Genwunners' main targets for bad pokemon designs, Slurpuff can get a good niche with BD.
It's only problem is its shallow (actually virtually non-existent) physical movepool.
With only Play Rough at Maximized Attack, it can be walled by a few highly defensive Pokémon.

Another Underhyped thing is Rototiller.
It's usage in Doubles needs some more testing, but I see it being deadly when used with Chlorophyll Venusaur, Chlorophyll Shiftry, Rotom-Mow, Sceptile, Virizion, orr Trevenant on the field.

Also diggersby tho. Sorry. But that whole thing was stupid.
I disagree. People have really been hating on Diggersby, but he's really good. I run him as a Scarfer with U-Turn/Return/Earthquake/Wild Charge, and he's a monster with this set. It's one of the hardest hitting scarfed U-Turners out there, and he can really clean up late game. People have dismissed him since Azumarill got his buff, but even though he'll probably only hit UU, he's going to make waves there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)