Other Most overhyped or underated aspect this gen so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some things that i have felt were extremely overhyped or underated this gen such as a new mega or pokemons appearence or maybe even new mechanic changes. No matter the case this is place to post the aspect's that you felt were overhyped or underated this gen so far. An example of such post would be.....

Crobat

Who in my opinion was a pokemon who seemed really good due to the defog buff and the infiltrator buff. Also its blistering speed in combination with taunt haze and other support moves allowed him in theory to be a great utility poke. Though in practice crobat isnt actually that good due to being weak to stealth rock its self massive 4mss and lacking offenses without a boosting item.

An example of underated aspect would be....

Mega heracross

Now many peope believed that mega cross was gonna people substantially weaker or worse then
Regular cross and where that may be true in some cases such as sweeping or revenge killing mega cross is definetely a better wall breaker and bulky attacker furthermore he can break sashes too and overall was just rather underated.

This is an example of a proper post in this thread have fun posting and this is smogon's favorite cat signing off.

Edit: wow thanks guys never imagined the thread would get this much success.

Last edited:
Honestly? There really hasn't been much this gen. All the ones people looked at and thought "ooh!", namely Greninja, Talonflame, and Aegislash, all have performed really well in OU, and all the Megas are really solid. We haven't really had a Darmanitan this gen.

On a similar note to Crobat, I'd go with Noivern. I saw it a fair amount at the beginning of the gen as an attempted revenge killer with its nifty ability and crazy speed, but even with Specs it just doesn't hit hard enough. Haven't seen one in a while now.

I'd say Fairies in general were also kind of overhyped, certain ones are great but most are pretty meh. Dragons have definitely dropped in popularity and power, but I don't think that really had much to do with Fairies except in Hydreigon's case.

I don't know how I feel about this thread knowing that the generation is only two months old, but Klefki, like Whimsicott, is another prankster pokemon that yet again has been overhyped, as if though everyone failed to realize its lack of an offensive presence. Not that Klefki is equivalent to Whimsicott -- it has prankster dual screens which is amazing, and if you're a horrible human being, Swagger + Thunder Wave + Foul Play. That being said, I think it's got niches that warrant its use, but not niches that deserve consideration on any and every team.

I don't think Crobat is bad or overhyped really. I think it'd be much more solid if Pokebank didn't exist, since it'd put a lot of desirability on Defog users.

I don't know how I feel about this thread knowing that the generation is only two months old, but Klefki, like Whimsicott, is another prankster pokemon that yet again has been overhyped, as if though everyone failed to realize its lack of an offensive presence. Not that Klefki is equivalent to Whimsicott -- it has prankster dual screens which is amazing, and if you're a horrible human being, Swagger + Thunder Wave + Foul Play. That being said, I think it's got niches that warrant its use, but not niches that deserve consideration on any and every team.

I don't think Crobat is bad or overhyped really. I think it'd be much more solid if Pokebank didn't exist, since it'd put a lot of desirability on Defog users.
Whimsicott should be considered overhyped because it sucked. Swag Play is a legitimate strategy that gets more hate than it deserves.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Uh, I think it's still too early to tell. That's a question for the middle or the end of a generation or right before the next game comes out. We still have people arguing about who gets what and a few important items are yet unreleased that can drastically change a Pokemon's performance (namely gems and Soul Dew).

I think Goomy/Goodra was a bit overhyped early on prior to its in-depth analysis. However, the root of it mostly applies more from a popularity standpoint; seems as though that almost everyone was raving about Lord Savior Goomy and God the Father Goodra, but a closer look of the Pokemon reveals its shortcomings. Well, it did won the hearts of many, but he just kinda fell short competitively. Stats had great potential with a nice movepool to boot. Lack of speed, boosting moves, and reliable recovery hurts it though. It can run a mix set, but it doesn't have enough wallbreaking prowess. The best set for Goodra now is arguably the Assault Vest Tank.

I think as of now, Goodra is in middle grounds amongst his Dragon brethren. It isn't bad in particular, but it doesn't stand out that much either. I just think that Goodra came in late; I think it would have done better in the previous generation. With Permanent Rain, he can make use of Hydration more effectively and reliably. I imagine a HydraTank and HydraWall to be staples.

Oh, and I would've also said Rapid Spin Greninja. IF IT EXISTED. Farewell to my premier OU rapid spinner. D;

Last edited:
TBH the only thing it lacks is recover.
or a better typing

YAS. PREACH.

I agree. Recover would definitely be a fine addition to Goodra's sets. I was hoping it'd get it upon release of PokeBank. Oh but no; research said it didn't acquired Recover as an Egg move when bred with Milotic.

My faith is slowly dying.

Who the heck is overhyping Crobat? That thing has gotten very little fanfare.
At the start of this gen everybody was just oh my god crobats gonna be the best utility poke ever with defog and haze with its speed but it was not even that good this gen anyways.

At the start of this gen everybody was just oh my god crobats gonna be the best utility poke ever with defog and haze with its speed but it was not even that good this gen anyways.
Lol so you actually wanna talk about what people said 2.5 months ago (and was never brought up since) when no one knew anything about the game?

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
this has been more a generation of underhype - one need only glance back a few months to see threads theorymonning MegaKangaskhan's impact on UU (even RU!). And people still belittle MegaHeracross!
what are you saying. SD+KS Aegislash is a better sweeper. Aegi for Uber pls
/sarc

Crobat still does the job better for my team than any alternatives I could find. Defog, U-turn and Taunt on top of being the fastest thing to get them all in one moveset.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I find Mega Garchomp to be over hyped. Everyone praised it in the early stages of XY as well as prior to (some even said it would be quickbanned like Mega Gengar). However it is sadly disappointing. There are better stall breakers out there because they hit just as hard, while also being faster (Charizard Y for example, or Kyurem-b). I just don't find it a mon that deserved all the hype.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
i recall the exact opposite; everybody claimed that MGarchomp was trash and that the loss of a speed tier made him an inferior option to his non-mega form.

Aegislash's SD set was overhyped but now that people are using more specially orientated sets, I think the hype for the 'mon as a whole is proving itself justifiable.

Assault Vest perhaps got a bit too much credit at one point as did the Fairy-type; turns out Dragons have carried on with their business relatively unfazed.

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
Well if you are using MChomper like a regular chomp or a CharX/Kyu-B you're doing it wrong. with those awesome defenses it's a fucking tank that hits back like a nuke. you can even chuck in Draco Meteor/Fire Blast to go mixed to absolutely destroy all physical walls in the tier.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Personally what I really overhyped was SD Aegislash. I just thought it would be batshit insane being able to SD twice with very little effort, only to realize that even then, it's shadow sneak is actually still pretty weak.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Well if you are using MChomper like a regular chomp or a CharX/Kyu-B you're doing it wrong. with those awesome defenses it's a fucking tank that hits back like a nuke. you can even chuck in Draco Meteor/Fire Blast to go mixed to absolutely destroy all physical walls in the tier.
actually I dont see how mega chomp doesnt play like kyube. Both are mixed attacking wall breakers with similar speed tiers. Kyube's got that STAB ice beam and more power if it elects life orb, staying power with lefties. Mega chomp however has STAB EQ and also fire blast things kyube would kill for. They're both hard to switch into and monstrous.

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
Actually you're right. Scrap Kyu-B. My mind didn't seem to process any other set than the standard scarf set.

Crobat has been perhaps my MVP this gen; I don't know what you guys are on about. Defogging left and right. Brave Birding everything to hell in late game. Especially Gengars (even behind their subs). U-Turning for momentum. Good typing for switching in on many attacks. It's an amazing, incredible poke. I say it's underrated.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Mega luke was so broken on paper man

So broken

So fast, so strong, adaptability

He just falls so short of that mark man

The big overhype of the gen

Pinsir is mad underhype tho. Instantly dismissed when bug/flying, and he's actually really good lol

Mega luke was so broken on paper man

So broken

So fast, so strong, adaptability

He just falls so short of that mark man

The big overhype of the gen

Pinsir is mad underhype tho. Instantly dismissed when bug/flying, and he's actually really good lol
oh god phew i thought you were gonna doge for a second

I agree with Mega-Pinsir, though. It and, to a lesser extent Mega Charizard Y, have "Volcarona syndrome" in the sense that people verbally shit on it or just dismiss it as sucking because x4 weakness to SR. SR weakness isn't bueno, guys, but don't for a second think that it's the only factor in what makes or breaks a Pokemon - Ho-Oh would dominate Ubers without it [it's already amazing], and Volcarona and even Dragonite {for Multiscale} are in a similar boat.

Also: Rapid Spin Greninja. Need I say more?

greninja's "egg moves" said:
Rapid Spin - Bred from Squirtle, Wartortle, and Blastoise
some guy's signature said:
READ MY LIPS THE NINJA CANNOT SPIN
greninja thread's op said:
GRENINJA DOES NOT LEARN RAPID SPIN
thx obama serebii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)