Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Team 1 was built around this specific heatran set that I was about to post in underrated sets but apparently it's locked right now fsr. I got the idea for this set from ou, where modest heatran is used to trap toxapex while also dealing with gliscor with firium z. I have hp electric for mantine so that I can consistently set up rocks vs 2 very difficult matchups for steel; flying and water.

G1: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-813410299
I knew my av celesteela would be my main counterplay to nidoking combined with hazards. Potential wincons were scizor (once toxapex is trapped) and bisharp. However on turn 17 I recognise that sweeping with scizor might be a little difficult and I needed all my other pokemon more, so I sacrificed it in exchange for more chip on nidoking, leaving it with only 2 more switchins with hazards up. If he defogs, I can get in bisharp. Unfortunately he turned out to be sub gengar so I couldnt sweep, but I still save bisharp for later because I recognise that it is now my main wincon. After he lets it die, the game became simpler since it was only a matter of time before bisharp won.

G2: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-813415065
In the initial stages, I recognised that if ferrothorn dies I can win with nihilego. Therefore I kept doubling into terrakion predicting it. However the whimsicott was a big problem so I kept trying to predict it, but chait did well to keep it alive. If I had known whimsicott was scarf then the game might have been simpler, but I made some plays predicting a different set. On turn 17 and 18 I realise that venusaur is a great setup opportunity for minior so I don't knock it out with ttar. On turn 20 I didn;t know whimsicott was scarf so I predict him to use tailwind and shell smash again so that I can outspeed tapu bulu. In hindsight tapu bulu was always going to get at least 2 kills with choice band attacks backed by tailwind, so idk how winnable this game really was for me.

G3: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-813420238
This game was pretty straightforward until turn 20. I decide to switch out here because after 2 bunkers I am in range of greninja ice beam. Chances of getting that is actually more than a burn chance, so I go to hawlucha and sky attack, killing off greninja. Unfortunately I get burned and lose the game.

Honestly that was a pretty shitty series LOL didnt even explain the games and just brought whack teams
anyways, still gonna rep the lgbtq community
kevinelf, roman, room voice iexca
I don't see how the teams were 'whack' just because they weren't the same 4 types you spam every game. Rock is a genuinely good type imo (same with grass), and in g3 I knew he wouldn't bring fairy and that team can take every other matchup. I feel that a lot of players think you should only use the top tier types to be successful, but I want to make it clear that this is not true. The top tier types are at the top for a reason, but every type has a niche that you can make shine if you build the team well enough. I think this was shown in these games because personally I felt that we both played pretty well and showed off our respective builds, but if you disagree then that is fine too. I would love to hear more about your opinion on why the games were so bad.

Voting for paleo, harp, vodoom

Last edited:

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Team 1 was built around this specific heatran set that I was about to post in underrated sets but apparently it's locked right now fsr. I got the idea for this set from ou, where modest heatran is used to trap toxapex while also dealing with gliscor with firium z. I have hp electric for mantine so that I can consistently set up rocks vs 2 very difficult matchups for steel; flying and water.

G1: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-813410299
I knew my av celesteela would be my main counterplay to nidoking combined with hazards. Potential wincons were scizor (once toxapex is trapped) and bisharp. However on turn 17 I recognise that sweeping with scizor might be a little difficult and I needed all my other pokemon more, so I sacrificed it in exchange for more chip on nidoking, leaving it with only 2 more switchins with hazards up. If he defogs, I can get in bisharp. Unfortunately he turned out to be sub gengar so I couldnt sweep, but I still save bisharp for later because I recognise that it is now my main wincon. After he lets it die, the game became simpler since it was only a matter of time before bisharp won.

G2: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-813415065
In the initial stages, I recognised that if ferrothorn dies I can win with nihilego. Therefore I kept doubling into terrakion predicting it. However the whimsicott was a big problem so I kept trying to predict it, but chait did well to keep it alive. If I had known whimsicott was scarf then the game might have been simpler, but I made some plays predicting a different set. On turn 17 and 18 I realise that venusaur is a great setup opportunity for minior so I don't knock it out with ttar. On turn 20 I didn;t know whimsicott was scarf so I predict him to use tailwind and shell smash again so that I can outspeed tapu bulu. In hindsight tapu bulu was always going to get at least 2 kills with choice band attacks backed by tailwind, so idk how winnable this game really was for me.

G3: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-813420238
This game was pretty straightforward until turn 20. I decide to switch out here because after 2 bunkers I am in range of greninja ice beam. Chances of getting that is actually more than a burn chance, so I go to hawlucha and sky attack, killing off greninja. Unfortunately I get burned and lose the game.

I don't see how the teams were 'whack' just because they weren't the same 4 types you spam every game. Rock is a genuinely good type imo (same with grass), and in g3 I knew he wouldn't bring fairy and that team can take every other matchup. I feel that a lot of players think you should only use the top tier types to be successful, but I want to make it clear that this is not true. The top tier types are at the top for a reason, but every type has a niche that you can make shine if you build the team well enough. I think this was shown in these games because personally I felt that we both played pretty well and showed off our respective builds, but if you disagree then that is fine too. I would love to hear more about your opinion on why the games were so bad.

Voting for paleo, harp, vodoom
You're my hero.

https://pokepast.es/f4f4a07b74b2650c Teams I used games 1 and 2, The water team isn't mine so I'm not gonna post and I don't like it much anyway. I think gengar is fun to play with and I used a sub z set in this one which was accidentally modest.

G1: I think I played game 1 pretty badly considering I had nido and sub fight z gengar but lycan played well. I lead gengar trying to catch the heatran thinking it'd be balloon rocks. Turn 25 I thought about subbing again which probably looks like a lot better play considering volt into cele seems obvious but if the focus blast had hit I think I would've won. I predicted volt on the nido which didn't work and I lost that. Should've definitely kept the nidoking healthy, the bullet punch was pretty obvious.

G2: Pretty straightforward MU, had to keep ferro alive so nihi didn't run through/so i didn't have to rely on stun spore hitting but other than that tailwind + band bulu was probably always gonna be too much for rock.

G3: Turn 2 I thought he'd double on me going to pex so I stayed in and lost the tie. I realized hawlucha and kommo would be problematic, and hawlucha definitely was. I got the 30% on lucha at the end and nicked the win.

Cool teams Lycan not sure I deserved to win but always fun playing you. Hoping for some good ones in the upcoming weeks.

NuttyRabbit

Banned deucer.
https://pokepast.es/f4f4a07b74b2650c Teams I used games 1 and 2, The water team isn't mine so I'm not gonna post and I don't like it much anyway. I think gengar is fun to play with and I used a sub z set in this one which was accidentally modest.

G1: I think I played game 1 pretty badly considering I had nido and sub fight z gengar but lycan played well. I lead gengar trying to catch the heatran thinking it'd be balloon rocks. Turn 25 I thought about subbing again which probably looks like a lot better play considering volt into cele seems obvious but if the focus blast had hit I think I would've won. I predicted volt on the nido which didn't work and I lost that. Should've definitely kept the nidoking healthy, the bullet punch was pretty obvious.

G2: Pretty straightforward MU, had to keep ferro alive so nihi didn't run through/so i didn't have to rely on stun spore hitting but other than that tailwind + band bulu was probably always gonna be too much for rock.

G3: Turn 2 I thought he'd double on me going to pex so I stayed in and lost the tie. I realized hawlucha and kommo would be problematic, and hawlucha definitely was. I got the 30% on lucha at the end and nicked the win.

Cool teams Lycan not sure I deserved to win but always fun playing you. Hoping for some good ones in the upcoming weeks.
Can you explain the spreads on both your Poison and Grass teams? Some of them are rather different from your standard spreads for those pokemon. I feel like if you at least explained this we'd get more insight into the teambuilding aspect of things, which is almost as important as the battling aspect.

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Due to scheduling conflicts, TheThorn has been subbed out for Eien. Therefore, the new match for this week is Harpp vs. Eien! Please contact each other as soon as possible, and if you guys need an extension, please let me know so I can grant you an extra day or so.

edit @below: per request of Eien, I will grant an extension for Thorn as well. TheThorn, please make the attempt to reschedule and battle Harpp within the next couple of days (extending through Tuesday), we really want to see you battle!

Please note that if there isn't a battle today, it will not affect the nomination stage, so the nomination stage for week 3 will start up at midnight tonight, regardless of no battle due to the extension. Thank you all for your patience!

Last edited:

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As aforementioned earlier; Harpp and Eien have been granted an extension for their battle, but this won't affect week 3's nomination stage.

So, to keep things on a timely schedule as we wait for the battle, Week 3 voting is up! We're changing it up this week, as the tier will be Monothreat! The nomination deadline is the usual time, Thursday at 11:59 PM Gmt -4. For this week's winners, you'll be building the following types: Electric, Psychic, and Rock.
proof: https://prnt.sc/l3egnz

My votes go to Ticken, Moosical, and Sirskit~

Edit: Eien has been subbed for TheThorn, so it will be Harpp vs. Eien. Because of scheduling blunders and conflictions (or a lack thereof), they've been given till this Sunday (if the Monothreat match comes first, so be it. Hell, it'll be two games for one this week.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)