Project Metagame Workshop

Gen 6 MEGAS ARENA
Premise:
Gen 6 OU but there is no limit to how many Megas you can transform to per battle
Potential bans: normal OU bans
Strategy: Have fun

Gen 9 TERA FEST
Premise:
Gen 9 OU but there is no limit to how many Teras you can transform to per battle
Strategy: Don't have fun

Sneak Peek
Premise: When your pokemon is sent out, it gets a 5th move that is copied from your opponent’s 4th moveslot, which stays until your pokemon switches out. That 5th move will have the same amount of remaining pp as your opponent’s 4th move.
Strategy:
- Since the opponent gets access to your last move, you will have to make sure that anything you put in the 4th move slot can’t be abused by your opponent.
- It’s probably a bad idea to put powerful set up moves like shell smash there as they allow opposing mons who don’t normally have access to those to use them.
- Baiting switches from the opponent is important in this format to potentially gain a certain move from a certain mon.
- Pokemon that can function well with only 3 moves could be good here as they could run a useless 4th move and won’t have to give the opponent a viable move.
Questions:
What should happen if your mon already has the move in your opponent’s 4th moveslot?
If a mon runs out of pp on their 4th move, what should happen when an opposing mon switches in?
This seems quite interesting. Your fourth move slot would have to be chosen wisely.

One issue I find in this is that your fourth move can just be something you are immune to or resist, which is quite common in just standard tier sets. Something like Ice Spinner Quaquaval can use it in its last slot, Iron Moth can use its a move it resists in the fourth moveslot etc.

Maybe there are some sets where you would need to change the moves but I feel like this meta might lack the teambuilding side of things if you are careful enough. Gameplay wise, since the opponent’s move changes when you switch out, as long as you make their fifth move unabusable to you specifically, its pretty much just regular play. They would click their moves instead of clicking the gained move.

As for your questions:
If the move is already in your moveslot, then I think you could just add the PP together.

If the opponents run out of PP on their fourth move, it’ll just give you a move with no PP then.

Gen 6 MEGAS ARENA
Premise:
Gen 6 OU but there is no limit to how many Megas you can transform to per battle
Strategy: Have fun

Gen 9 TERA FEST
Premise:
Gen 9 OU but there is no limit to how many Teras you can transform to per battle
Strategy: Don't have fun
OMs are only Gen 9 based, so no Gen 6 stuff. Mix and Mega already exists as well.
Tera Fest seems too similar to Tera Switch I feel.

Maybe you could try to come up with a more interesting format and make sure that it uses Scarlet/Violet battling mechanics and it isn’t too similar to an existing OM!

Sneak Peek
Premise: When your pokemon is sent out, it gets a 5th move that is copied from your opponent’s 4th moveslot, which stays until your pokemon switches out. That 5th move will have the same amount of remaining pp as your opponent’s 4th move.
Strategy:
- Since the opponent gets access to your last move, you will have to make sure that anything you put in the 4th move slot can’t be abused by your opponent.
- It’s probably a bad idea to put powerful set up moves like shell smash there as they allow opposing mons who don’t normally have access to those to use them.
- Baiting switches from the opponent is important in this format to potentially gain a certain move from a certain mon.
- Pokemon that can function well with only 3 moves could be good here as they could run a useless 4th move and won’t have to give the opponent a viable move.
Questions:
What should happen if your mon already has the move in your opponent’s 4th moveslot?
If a mon runs out of pp on their 4th move, what should happen when an opposing mon switches in?
This seems quite interesting. Your fourth move slot would have to be chosen wisely.

One issue I find in this is that your fourth move can just be something you are immune to or resist, which is quite common in just standard tier sets. Something like Ice Spinner Quaquaval can use it in its last slot, Iron Moth can use its a move it resists in the fourth moveslot etc.

Maybe there are some sets where you would need to change the moves but I feel like this meta might lack the teambuilding side of things if you are careful enough. Gameplay wise, since the opponent’s move changes when you switch out, as long as you make their fifth move unabusable to you specifically, its pretty much just regular play. They would click their moves instead of clicking the gained move.

As for your questions:
If the move is already in your moveslot, then I think you could just add the PP together.

If the opponents run out of PP on their fourth move, it’ll just give you a move with no PP then.
As far as I can tell from the premise, you actually keep the 5th move you got from your opponent until you switch out, not they do. This means that leaving Focus Blast as Choice Scarf Gholdengo's 4th move sounds all fine and dandy until Gholdengo is forced out by an opposing Meowscarada and Meows now has a Focus Blast to play with (say, against your Kingambit that you switch into their Meowscarada). Trick might be the better option in that 4th moveslot, especially since Gholdengo is immune to Trick, although that Walking Wake your opponent sent in to revenge out your Gholdengo in desperation looks pretty dandy Tricking away its Choice Specs. ...At the rate we're going, maybe Make It Rain is the best option for that 4th moveslot after all - pretty much the only Pokemon who actually actively want that move are Magnezone and Lucario (post-HOME, Heatran, Magearna, and Goodra-H also want that move). Just try not to attract mons that Iron Valiant otherwise performs well against.

Sneak Peek
Strategy:
Questions:
Problem with this idea is that everyone will put their least useful move (or move that requires something) in the 4th slot, making it so the 5th move is rarely useful.
Like if you have Polteageist, why would you ever put anything other than Stored Power in the 4th slot? Or if you have a Pokemon that use Multihit sets like Cloyster, Breloom, or Maushold, why put anything otherthan those multihit moves in the 4th slot?
This sounds like it just be vanilla OU but you try to minimize being slightly inconvienced.

DosDogs

I like Cross Evolution
is a Pre-Contributor
Its been a week since my last idea so here is a twist on my old idea. Is this whole idea just too close to OU? It would be nice to know if it is...

Hero's Journey
(Not sure the name is still accurate but I think so)
What is every Pokemon became a "Hero" after switching out? In this OM Pokemon get limited boosts after reentering battle. When a mon reenters battle it gains the following boosts: every move ignores accuracy check, all their attacks get a 1.3x boost, and every mon heals 1/8 of their HP at the end of a turn. This effect runs out after 4 turns in battle. | Questions here; should a mon be able to Hero more then once, if the boost runs out and it switches out then back in should it get the boost again? Should the move boost be larger or smaller /heal boost be larger or smaller, I don't want one to be super prominent? I was also thinking about making it so the boost runs out after 4 moves that effect the opponent, similar to VoltTurn, but that seems too complex and not very good reasoning in, but like, it would nerf protect and buff set up. Also is this too complex, its not the simplest but its also not hard to remember? |

Rules
Mechanic: A mon gains 3 boost for 4 turns upon reentering battle; move power 1.3x, no accuracy check, and restores 1/8 of their health each turn.
Clauses: Standard OM, Sleep moves clause, Evasion clause, Min Source Gen=9
Bans/Stuff to be looked at: Kings Rock, Baton Pass, Shed Tail, Chi-Yu, Koriadon, Miraidon, Chein-Pao, Arena Trap, Shadow Tag, Palafin, Houndstone, I was thinking that moves like Dynamic Punch and Zap Cannon might be too powerful, but they take up a whole move slot so I doubt it. Protect could be very strong, but that may mean I need to lower the amount healed, actually protect is going to be used on everything, hmmm.

Strategy
OU based meta. The game will revolve around momentum and making the most of hero form while its active, moves like U-turn are going to be utilized, but also moves like Dynamic Punch can be used due to no accuracy check. OHKO potential is raised due to a virtual Life Orb boost, but every mon has two leftovers basically, so if you don't deal devastating damage then the bulky mon will just heal it off with protect. Moving mons is important but so if catching your opponents switches, getting a read on if/who your opponent switches into could be game-changing. Big BP moves are gonna get stronger and bulky mons get 4 free turns of passive healing.

Q&A
Q: How will I be able to tell if a Pokemon is in Hero form.
A: The Pokemon will have a text box or symbol similar to MnM or tera

My main goal is to make a meta that is based of getting a boost from reentering battle, any suggestions on how would be much appreciated. (No stat boosting, tried that)

Its been a week since my last idea so here is a twist on my old idea. Is this whole idea just too close to OU? It would be nice to know if it is...

Hero's Journey
What is every Pokemon became a "Hero" after switching out? In this OM Pokemon get limited boosts after reentering battle. When a mon reenters battle it gains the following boosts: every move ignores accuracy check, all their attacks get a 1.3x boost, and every mon heals 1/8 of their HP at the end of a turn. This effect runs out after 4 turns in battle. | Questions here; should a mon be able to Hero more then once, if the boost runs out and it switches out then back in should it get the boost again? Should the move boost be larger or smaller /heal boost be larger or smaller, I don't want one to be super prominent? I was also thinking about making it so the boost runs out after 4 moves that effect the opponent, similar to VoltTurn, but that seems too complex and not very good reasoning in, but like, it would nerf protect and buff set up. Also is this too complex, its not the simplest but its also not hard to remember? |

Rules
Mechanic: A mon gains 3 boost for 4 turns upon reentering battle; move power 1.3x, no accuracy check, and restores 1/8 of their health each turn.
Bans/Stuff to be looked at: Kings Rock, Baton Pass, Shed Tail, Chi-Yu, Koriadon, Miraidon, Chein-Pao, Arena Trap, Shadow Tag, Palafin, Houndstone, I was thinking that moves like Dynamic Punch and Zap Cannon might be too powerful, but they take up a whole move slot so I doubt it. Protect could be very strong, but that may mean I need to lower the amount healed, actually protect is going to be used on everything, hmmm.

Strategy
OU based meta. The game will revolve around momentum and making the most of hero form while its active, moves like U-turn are going to be utilized, but also moves like Dynamic Punch can be used due to no accuracy check. OHKO potential is raised due to a virtual Life Orb boost, but every mon has two leftovers basically, so if you don't deal devastating damage then the bulky mon will just heal it off with protect. Moving mons is important but so if catching your opponents switches, getting a read on if/who your opponent switches into could be game-changing. Big BP moves are gonna get stronger and bulky mons get 4 free turns of passive healing.

Q&A

My main goal is to make a meta that is based of getting a boost from reentering battle, any suggestions on how would be much appreciated. (No stat boosting, tried that)
I’m not sure about no accuracy checks that seems quite random in my opinion. Even the HP healing. It should be one consise and easy to remember premise. Now since eveything gets an offensive boost I fear that it’ll turn into snowballing quite quickly. 1/8 HP isn’t enough to counterbalance this.

I think the main thing with Palafin is that it only had that ability. This caused to to be incredibly broken compared to other pokemon. Making every pokemon like this doesn’t change much as shown in your previous premise, but now just boosting offense will become too offensive based.

Maybe try a different idea rather than switching out and gaining a certain boost as I feel like it is just going to be quite stale. Maybe you could do something with moves, types or something else instead. This causes you different from what your opponent can do which induces interesting strategies in teambuilder and gameplay, which is one of the most important parts of an OM.

DosDogs

I like Cross Evolution
is a Pre-Contributor
I’m not sure about no accuracy checks that seems quite random in my opinion. Even the HP healing. It should be one consise and easy to remember premise. Now since eveything gets an offensive boost I fear that it’ll turn into snowballing quite quickly. 1/8 HP isn’t enough to counterbalance this.

I think the main thing with Palafin is that it only had that ability. This caused to to be incredibly broken compared to other pokemon. Making every pokemon like this doesn’t change much as shown in your previous premise, but now just boosting offense will become too offensive based.

Maybe try a different idea rather than switching out and gaining a certain boost as I feel like it is just going to be quite stale. Maybe you could do something with moves, types or something else instead. This causes you different from what your opponent can do which induces interesting strategies in teambuilder and gameplay, which is one of the most important parts of an OM.
Thanks, I will brainstorm a few ideas but here are a few that comes to mind real quick,
The forth move slot can be any move, barring like z-moves and stuff, but you can only use it after switching out. This seems bad and a few variations would be a 5th move, also seems bad, anything with changing types seems a little too close to tera switch, like you gain your tera type after switching out, which is just tera dono but different. Maybe moves get a specific secondary effect based on what your highest stat is? thats just complicated Forte. I need a new gameplay/teambuilder effect to change, one that hasnt been done yet, its time to dig deep for mechanics

Problem with this idea is that everyone will put their least useful move (or move that requires something) in the 4th slot, making it so the 5th move is rarely useful.
Like if you have Polteageist, why would you ever put anything other than Stored Power in the 4th slot? Or if you have a Pokemon that use Multihit sets like Cloyster, Breloom, or Maushold, why put anything otherthan those multihit moves in the 4th slot?
This sounds like it just be vanilla OU but you try to minimize being slightly inconvienced.
This is true for some mons like the ones u mentioned above, but not all mons can do that as none of their moves are very situational. Take a look at this great tusk set for example. Any physical attacker can switch in and benefit from one of these moves, and rapid spin is useful for hazard removal.
Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 9.10.33 PM.png

The mons u mentioned above will probably get increased viability due to them being able to run situational moves, as an important factor of this metagame is making sure as few mons get benefitted from your 4th move as possible, which isn't easy to do for a lot of mons.

Also just confirming that you do keep the move you got from your opponent until you switch out
Ty to everyone who gave feedback

BoingK

back to the lab again
is a Pre-Contributor
hiya, am thinking of submitting tier shift, since no one has done so already. the main gist of tier shifts seems to be ok to me but my experience of it last generation suggested that the lower tier mons were dominating the format because a +10 base stat increase in every stat was absurd. I was thinking that changing this to +5 per stat (excluding hp) per tier might be a better idea, or perhaps scaling up base stats. Which one sounds better?

for each stat excluding hp:
new stat = old stat * (1 + 0.05 * number of tiers underneath ou) (stat is rounded to nearest whole number)
example: bisharp is currently uu, with stats 65/125/100/60/70/70
it is one tier under ou, so it's new stats become: 65/131/105/63/74/74

if we were to use +5 per stat per tier, bisharp would become 65/130/105/65/75/75
with +10 per stat per tier, bisharp becomes 65/135/110/70/80/80 (which i think is fairly unhealthy)

also does my banner look good
tiershiftbanner.png

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader

Hero's Journey

Rules

Strategy

Q&A

Try to keep it limited to a single change/mechanic, it would need to fit too perfectly in a concept to have multiple rules in a format. Like, how does any of that relates to the original premise?
hiya, am thinking of submitting tier shift, since no one has done so already. the main gist of tier shifts seems to be ok to me but my experience of it last generation suggested that the lower tier mons were dominating the format because a +10 base stat increase in every stat was absurd. I was thinking that changing this to +5 per stat (excluding hp) per tier might be a better idea, or perhaps scaling up base stats. Which one sounds better?

for each stat excluding hp:
new stat = old stat * (1 + 0.05 * number of tiers underneath ou) (stat is rounded to nearest whole number)
example: bisharp is currently uu, with stats 65/125/100/60/70/70
it is one tier under ou, so it's new stats become: 65/131/105/63/74/74

if we were to use +5 per stat per tier, bisharp would become 65/130/105/65/75/75
with +10 per stat per tier, bisharp becomes 65/135/110/70/80/80 (which i think is fairly unhealthy)

also does my banner look good
View attachment 507773
Not really a fan of making the formula more complex, so would prefer the flat +5 on all stats but HP. You are free to propose and discuss your formula during the submission, tho.
Nice banner.

I was watching the Let's Go Pikachu Eevee LC Candy metagame, and around turn 400 I thought to myself "Y'know, it's so cool all moves have different PP, and the stronger and better the move is the smallest the PP is". And then I had the idea for an OM! I tried looking around and I didn't saw it in the "commonly suggested OMs" or anything similar, so here it is'.

PP Mons! (Better name pending)
Metagame Premise: Rather than taking damage your pokemon's moves lose PP - and if your mon uses Struggle, it gets KO'd!

Here's how it'd work:
Whenever your pokemon would take damage they would, instead, lose PP on their rightmost move that still has PP instead, losing 1 PP for each 1% of damage that would be taken.

For example let's say you're playing and, for some reason, you have a Pikachu and they have an Eevee, and their Eevee uses Tackle:
0 Atk Eevee Tackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 55-66 (26 - 31.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

For the sake of simplicity let's say it rolled 30% damage and your Pikachu's set is Fake Out, Body Slam, Protect and Discharge, in that order.
Rather than taking damage Pikachu would lose PP - in this case, Pikachu should lose Discharge PP. Discharge has 24 PP, Protect has 16, Body Slam has 24 and Fake Out has 16. Pikachu needs to lose 30 PP and it starts from the rightmost move: In this case, Discharge.

Since Discharge has 24 PP and Pikachu needs to lose 30 then it loses all the Discharge PP. That's still not enough for the 30 PP it needs to lose so it moves to the next move, right-to-left: Protect. Protect has 16 PP and it loses 6 PP (Since Pikachu needs to lose 30 PP and lost 24 from Discharge it needs to lose 6 from the next move). That means, after the attack Pikachu lost all of Discharge's PP, some of Protect's PP and the last two moves are untouched.

If a pokemon doesn't have enough PP to lose and the damage isn't yet fully paid (for example, if in the example above the Pikachu didn't had any PP for Protect, Body Slam or Fake-Out) then it faints. Easy!

Healing works exactly like damage, but from the left to the right.
When you use Soft-Boiled or Leftovers kicks in you gain PP equal to the amount of HP you'd have healed (in their cases, 50 PP and 6 PP, respectively). It then goes to your leftmost move that doesn't have full PP.

Together, these 2 rules have many, many interesting implications:
  • Your move order is now fundamental to your mon: A move in the leftmost slot will stay with your mon until death while the rightmost slot is going to be gone rather quick into the match.
  • You can now use your fourth moveslot defensively now! Sticking in Growl or Tackle as your 4rth move is a very real strategy now since they give you 64 and 56 PP, respectively, giving you a ton of bulk.
  • Offense now gets new troubles to deal with as when their attackers get damaged they'll slowly lose more and more coverage options, losing their 4rth move, their 3rd move and eventually even their 2nd move, slowly losing options as the game goes on.
  • Stall also gets new problems to face: Recover only has 8 PP. That is really not good and means a major loss of bulk if you decide to run Recover - altho Recover might have to be banned. Recover, Tackle, Stealth Rock Harden Garganacl is 144, an increase of bulk of 44%, and Recover will always refresh its own PP and be the last one to go down. However this set is extremely passive and prone to stuff like a setup sweeper or even a Disable mon, so who knows.
Great Tusk, once again, wins the moveset lottery. Rapid Spin has an insane 64 PP, and Bulk Up has 32 PP. Together that's 96 PP, almost a full Tusk worth of HP. Add in 24 PP of Brick Break and you have basically a 20% more bulky Tusk, and that's not even counting the last move. Terrifying, but exciting.

Revival Blessing could be very strong, since it's now possible to gain PP back via Leftovers. Using it does mean, however, that your maximun bulk is essentially cut in 1/4rth, since it's only 1 PP. A mon being capable of using Revival Blessing every turn sounds horrifying but the lower bulk could make it overwhelming, but only time will tell.

Recover could also be terrifying with its ability to stall and recover its own PP but I think trying to win via endless battle clause like this would be way too silly, and too open to setup sweepers. Plus, it giving only 8 PP means a noticeable decrease in bulk so it's possible even with the extra healing they go down too fast.

Overall, I really can't tell what will be good or bad in this meta - mons get a ton of HP but many stall tools - Recover, Rest, etc don't have much PP, making me wonder the bulkiness of stall. Plus Rapid Spin has 64 PP, being the literal best move for increasing your HP. Having one of the best anti-hazard moves also give you great bulk is great for preventing Stall to get out of control, specially with Great Tusk around.

In general, here's my questions to the community:
  • Would stall be too strong in this format?
  • Is it interesting enough to be considered as an OM? Has it been done before?
  • And of course, what would be a better name than just "PP Mons" since it sounds a bit silly when said out loud :P
What does everyone think'?

DosDogs

I like Cross Evolution
is a Pre-Contributor
I was watching the Let's Go Pikachu Eevee LC Candy metagame, and around turn 400 I thought to myself "Y'know, it's so cool all moves have different PP, and the stronger and better the move is the smallest the PP is". And then I had the idea for an OM! I tried looking around and I didn't saw it in the "commonly suggested OMs" or anything similar, so here it is'.

PP Mons! (Better name pending)
Metagame Premise: Rather than taking damage your pokemon's moves lose PP - and if your mon uses Struggle, it gets KO'd!

Here's how it'd work:
Whenever your pokemon would take damage they would, instead, lose PP on their rightmost move that still has PP instead, losing 1 PP for each 1% of damage that would be taken.

For example let's say you're playing and, for some reason, you have a Pikachu and they have an Eevee, and their Eevee uses Tackle:
0 Atk Eevee Tackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 55-66 (26 - 31.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

For the sake of simplicity let's say it rolled 30% damage and your Pikachu's set is Fake Out, Body Slam, Protect and Discharge, in that order.
Rather than taking damage Pikachu would lose PP - in this case, Pikachu should lose Discharge PP. Discharge has 24 PP, Protect has 16, Body Slam has 24 and Fake Out has 16. Pikachu needs to lose 30 PP and it starts from the rightmost move: In this case, Discharge.

Since Discharge has 24 PP and Pikachu needs to lose 30 then it loses all the Discharge PP. That's still not enough for the 30 PP it needs to lose so it moves to the next move, right-to-left: Protect. Protect has 16 PP and it loses 6 PP (Since Pikachu needs to lose 30 PP and lost 24 from Discharge it needs to lose 6 from the next move). That means, after the attack Pikachu lost all of Discharge's PP, some of Protect's PP and the last two moves are untouched.

If a pokemon doesn't have enough PP to lose and the damage isn't yet fully paid (for example, if in the example above the Pikachu didn't had any PP for Protect, Body Slam or Fake-Out) then it faints. Easy!

Healing works exactly like damage, but from the left to the right.
When you use Soft-Boiled or Leftovers kicks in you gain PP equal to the amount of HP you'd have healed (in their cases, 50 PP and 6 PP, respectively). It then goes to your leftmost move that doesn't have full PP.

Together, these 2 rules have many, many interesting implications:
  • Your move order is now fundamental to your mon: A move in the leftmost slot will stay with your mon until death while the rightmost slot is going to be gone rather quick into the match.
  • You can now use your fourth moveslot defensively now! Sticking in Growl or Tackle as your 4rth move is a very real strategy now since they give you 64 and 56 PP, respectively, giving you a ton of bulk.
  • Offense now gets new troubles to deal with as when their attackers get damaged they'll slowly lose more and more coverage options, losing their 4rth move, their 3rd move and eventually even their 2nd move, slowly losing options as the game goes on.
  • Stall also gets new problems to face: Recover only has 8 PP. That is really not good and means a major loss of bulk if you decide to run Recover - altho Recover might have to be banned. Recover, Tackle, Stealth Rock Harden Garganacl is 144, an increase of bulk of 44%, and Recover will always refresh its own PP and be the last one to go down. However this set is extremely passive and prone to stuff like a setup sweeper or even a Disable mon, so who knows.
Great Tusk, once again, wins the moveset lottery. Rapid Spin has an insane 64 PP, and Bulk Up has 32 PP. Together that's 96 PP, almost a full Tusk worth of HP. Add in 24 PP of Brick Break and you have basically a 20% more bulky Tusk, and that's not even counting the last move. Terrifying, but exciting.

Revival Blessing could be very strong, since it's now possible to gain PP back via Leftovers. Using it does mean, however, that your maximun bulk is essentially cut in 1/4rth, since it's only 1 PP. A mon being capable of using Revival Blessing every turn sounds horrifying but the lower bulk could make it overwhelming, but only time will tell.

Recover could also be terrifying with its ability to stall and recover its own PP but I think trying to win via endless battle clause like this would be way too silly, and too open to setup sweepers. Plus, it giving only 8 PP means a noticeable decrease in bulk so it's possible even with the extra healing they go down too fast.

Overall, I really can't tell what will be good or bad in this meta - mons get a ton of HP but many stall tools - Recover, Rest, etc don't have much PP, making me wonder the bulkiness of stall. Plus Rapid Spin has 64 PP, being the literal best move for increasing your HP. Having one of the best anti-hazard moves also give you great bulk is great for preventing Stall to get out of control, specially with Great Tusk around.

In general, here's my questions to the community:
  • Would stall be too strong in this format?
  • Is it interesting enough to be considered as an OM? Has it been done before?
  • And of course, what would be a better name than just "PP Mons" since it sounds a bit silly when said out loud :P
What does everyone think'?
I actually think this meta sounds really fun! I don't think something like this has been done before that's not saying much tho and a few names are
  • Poke Points
  • Power Mons
  • PP equal HP ( If you want something even funnier to say out loud)
The first two names are based of the fact that PP stands for Power Points (like 95% sure on that) and personally my favorite is the first. Also, how will the HP/PP be displayed? How will we be able to tell how much HP/PP a mon has without knowing its moves? will it be like a number instead of HP% in the HP bar? Considering that the amount of HP still matters for the calc on how much percent the mon takes it would need a simple, easy to understand display or it could get really confusing really fast.

I actually think this meta sounds really fun! I don't think something like this has been done before that's not saying much tho and a few names are
  • Poke Points
  • Power Mons
  • PP equal HP ( If you want something even funnier to say out loud)
The first two names are based of the fact that PP stands for Power Points (like 95% sure on that) and personally my favorite is the first. Also, how will the HP/PP be displayed? How will we be able to tell how much HP/PP a mon has without knowing its moves? will it be like a number instead of HP% in the HP bar? Considering that the amount of HP still matters for the calc on how much percent the mon takes it would need a simple, easy to understand display or it could get really confusing really fast.
I like the idea of Power Mons!
As for how it'd be displayed, I imagine when you deal damage to a mon and it loses PP from a move you didn't knew then it'd be revealed to you what move it is, the max PP and current PP.

I've bounced the idea around on Discord and I've got a problem about implementation - IE, I've heard people say it'd be too hard or even impossible to implement on Showdown. Does anyone know if that's true'? If so, that's a bummer'. I've also heard it being too complex to work out as an OM.

DosDogs

I like Cross Evolution
is a Pre-Contributor
I like the idea of Power Mons!
As for how it'd be displayed, I imagine when you deal damage to a mon and it loses PP from a move you didn't knew then it'd be revealed to you what move it is, the max PP and current PP.

I've bounced the idea around on Discord and I've got a problem about implementation - IE, I've heard people say it'd be too hard or even impossible to implement on Showdown. Does anyone know if that's true'? If so, that's a bummer'. I've also heard it being too complex to work out as an OM.
I'm 80% sure that's not too complex, as you can explain the OM in one sentence, which you did. IDK about the implementation tho. Also, I would recommend changing it from left to right moveslots into 1st to 4th moveslots, as thats easier to see in teambuilder, even though those to things are the same. I don't like the idea of showing the moves, that could give an advantage to the other person, maybe just have like a number above/below the Hp bar thats like "Remaining PP 135/165" that would be more obvious and simpler

BoingK

back to the lab again
is a Pre-Contributor
By no means am i an experienced coder, but i see no reason why it would be impossible to implement on showdown
yeah, it might be difficult, but im sure someone could get it working

SlowpokeMons
:sv/slowpoke::sv/numel::sv/slowpoke:

Premise

The first turn of the battle, both Pokémon do nothing. The orders told the first turn will only be applied the second, and going on.
Basically, all moves and switches are done one turn after they are ordered.

Increased Viability

Good STAB Coverage/ Electric and Bug
:sv/dragapult: :sv/lokix:
The fact you can’t attack directly the Pokémon in front of you mean having good base coverage helps not losing. Having a stab pivot move also offers a lot of momentum.

Brainless
:sv/garganacl: :sv/ting-lu:
Those Pokémon are good setup deterrent, they often click some moves without really caring of the opponent.
Decreased Viability

Expert Belt
:sv/iron valiant:
Using super effective moves doing ~60 % is a bit whack when you need to guess to turns before.

Ability Pass
Premise: You can pass their base ability to teammates by switching.

Potential Threats and Bans:
:Azumarill: :medicham: :gothitelle: :dugtrio: :garchomp: :froslass: :scovillain: :Numel: :espathra: :komala: :lurantis:
To no one’s surprise, Huge/Pure Power, STag, Atrap, Sand Viel, Snow Cloak, and Moody will most definitely be banned. There is no debate. Anyone with a functioning frontal lobe can tell you that letting any Pokemon potentially have these abilities is a bad idea. And no offense to the AAA council who haven’t banned Sand Veil/Snow Cloak yet. I guess we’ll have to wait for UT to lose an important game against Sand Veil.

:Persian-Alola: (when released) :frosmoth:
While more debateable, still very much ban worthy, Fur Coat and Ice Scale passing could definitely be broken. It would be like having a Perma Reflect/Light Screen up for any set up sweeper. However, this is (potentially) more acceptable because it’s easier to plan around than giving something like Breloom Huge Power or Polteageist Simple. You can switch your Special Attacker on Persian and Physical Attacker on Frosmoth, and usually threaten out the set up sweeper. Even so, Ice Scales will definitely be looked at early on and Fur Coat eventually too when Persian-A is released.

:Cyclizar: :orthworm:
With how the metagame works, Cyclizar will not get to use its own Regenerator, which is potentially let it drop. Meanwhile Orthworm can pass its Earth Eater ability to threats like Ceruledge, Iron Thorns, Magnezone, Kingambit, Cinderace, Iron Moth, and set up variants of Skeledirge.

:Corviknight:
Corviknight is an extremely adaptable Pokemon. Since you can pass Corviknight multiple abilities, it can deal multiple different situation. Best way I can describe it would be to say Corviknight would be like the TF2 Vaccinator, where Corviknight can have Volt Aborb, Flash Fire/WBB, Intimidate, Regenerator, Unaware, Purifying Salt, or something else. Making it a prime target to eliminate.

Questions for the community:
-A need we would need to discuss is the details of the mechanic. Like when the ability should apply? Like if you switched from PS Garg to Intimidate Gyarados, when would Purifying Salts be applied? It can be applied before Intimidate is used, after it’s used, at the end of the turn, ect.

-Another detail would be how to define “passing abilities”. More specifically, should passed abilities be added on or replace current ability? This is a pretty important change as it determines a lot of strategies and viability of Pokemon. Like Slaking for instance would be broken with Abilities being replaced, and just as terrible with Abilities being added. Or strategies like Protosynthesis+Unburden being possible when Pokemon can keep their abilities, or Unburden being a less flexible ability.
So basically, which sounds better for this meta?

-We also need to talk about abilities like Battle Bond, Stance Change, and any ability that otherwise can’t be changed or given. How would those abilities function? Additionally, how should things like Trace, Transform, Role Play, Skill Swap, ect. all function with passing abilities?

Ability Pass

:Azumarill: :medicham: :gothitelle: :dugtrio: :garchomp: :froslass: :scovillain: :Numel: :espathra: :komala: :lurantis:
To no one’s surprise, Huge/Pure Power, STag, Atrap, Sand Viel, Snow Cloak, and Moody will most definitely be banned. There is no debate. Anyone with a functioning frontal lobe can tell you that letting any Pokemon potentially have these abilities is a bad idea. And no offense to the AAA council who haven’t banned Sand Veil/Snow Cloak yet. I guess we’ll have to wait for UT to lose an important game against Sand Veil.

While more debateable, still very much ban worthy, Fur Coat and Ice Scale passing could definitely be broken. It would be like having a Perma Reflect/Light Screen up for any set up sweeper. However, this is (potentially) more acceptable because it’s easier to plan around than giving something like Breloom Huge Power or Polteageist Simple. You can switch your Special Attacker on Persian and Physical Attacker on Frosmoth, and usually threaten out the set up sweeper. Even so, Ice Scales will definitely be looked at early on and Fur Coat eventually too when Persian-A is released.

With how the metagame works, Cyclizar will not get to use its own Regenerator, which is potentially let it drop. Meanwhile Orthworm can pass its Earth Eater ability to threats like Ceruledge, Iron Thorns, Magnezone, Kingambit, Cinderace, Iron Moth, and set up variants of Skeledirge.

Corviknight is an extremely adaptable Pokemon. Since you can pass Corviknight multiple abilities, it can deal multiple different situation. Best way I can describe it would be to say Corviknight would be like the TF2 Vaccinator, where Corviknight can have Volt Aborb, Flash Fire/WBB, Intimidate, Regenerator, Unaware, Purifying Salt, or something else. Making it a prime target to eliminate.

-A need we would need to discuss is the details of the mechanic. Like when the ability should apply? Like if you switched from PS Garg to Intimidate Gyarados, when would Purifying Salts be applied? It can be applied before Intimidate is used, after it’s used, at the end of the turn, ect.

-Another detail would be how to define “passing abilities”. More specifically, should passed abilities be added on or replace current ability? This is a pretty important change as it determines a lot of strategies and viability of Pokemon. Like Slaking for instance would be broken with Abilities being replaced, and just as terrible with Abilities being added. Or strategies like Protosynthesis+Unburden being possible when Pokemon can keep their abilities, or Unburden being a less flexible ability.

-We also need to talk about abilities like Battle Bond, Stance Change, and any ability that otherwise can’t be changed or given. How would those abilities function? Additionally, how should things like Trace, Transform, Role Play, Skill Swap, ect. all function with passing abilities?
This feels too similar to Shared Power, an OM that already allows you to pass on your ability to every other Pokemon on the team. Nice try though, you clearly put in a lot of thought into this. But, what you are trying to make already exists in some form.

KaenSoul

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Ability Pass

Yeah, the only way I can see this working is if the ability is replaced, otherwise is just SP lite.
Also, I think Cyclizar would still get to make use of regen, as it would still have it the first time it enters the field if you lead with it, no?
Really doubt Frosmoth would be that relevant, Persian-A does have some nice tools to support its team but I doubt it will be that crazy.
Gyarados entering the field should have Salt, only the mon that comes after will have intim.
Hard coded abilities would just leave the next mon with no effective ability, they would still have the ability but it would do nothing.
Trace and friends would just take into account the active ability.
Not really sold into the idea to be honest.
SlowpokeMons
:sv/slowpoke::sv/numel::sv/slowpoke:

Premise

The first turn of the battle, both Pokémon do nothing. The orders told the first turn will only be applied the second, and going on.
Basically, all moves and switches are done one turn after they are ordered.

Increased Viability

Good STAB Coverage/ Electric and Bug
:sv/dragapult: :sv/lokix:
The fact you can’t attack directly the Pokémon in front of you mean having good base coverage helps not losing. Having a stab pivot move also offers a lot of momentum.

Brainless
:sv/garganacl: :sv/ting-lu:
Those Pokémon are good setup deterrent, they often click some moves without really caring of the opponent.
Decreased Viability

Expert Belt
:sv/iron valiant:
Using super effective moves doing ~60 % is a bit whack when you need to guess to turns before.
I don't think I get this, like, you still have to wait a turn even to switch so most decisions would still be the same, no?
Doesn't seems like it would cause that many changes beyond a few small mind games.

96mons
gen96.png
Just to let it clear, I suggested this meta in gen 8, but it got refused... so now I'm trying again with several improvements from last time

Metagame premise:
This will be a Gen 9 OU based meta, but with several mechanics from Gen 1 (RBY):
  • The Gen 1 type chart;
  • This means no Fairy, Dark or Steel types. Pokémon that have these types will either lose that typing (Iron Valliant would be a pure Fighting type, Corvknight will be pure Flying, Kingambit would be a Normal type etc.) or a type from their pre-evolution (Tyranitar would be Rock/Ground).
  • All Pokémon lose their SpA and SpD in exchange for a Special Stat. That stat would be given to a Pokémon under some rules
Evolutions from Gen 1 Pokémon's Special will depend on how the Pre-Evolution's Special got split in Gen 2 (for example Primeape had a base Special of 60, wich became its SpA, so Annihilape would have a Special stat of 50, its base SpA stat), Else it has a Special equal either to its SpA or SpD depending from wich its higher (for Example Lucario would have a 115 base Special stat)
  • Abilities, Natures, Held Items, Genders, Shiny Pokémon and Terastalization are removed. EVs can all be maxed out (252) with no restrictions (like they did in Gen 1).
In addition to this, there will be also be some important quirks:
  • There will be no Physical/Special split for moves. Their category will depend on their typing, like it was prior to Gen 4 (For example Focus Blast would be Physical and Psychic Fangs would be Special)
  • Almost all moves work as normal otherwise;
Moves that boosts or drops either SpA and/or SpD boost or drop Special instead (Nasty Plot would boost Special by two stages, Shadow Ball would have a chance of droping the target's Special by one stage, etc.); | If a move raises or drops SpA and/ or SpD at the same time, the changes are applied separately (ex: Calm Mind would boost Special by two stages (1 SpA + 1 SpD), Shell Smash would boost Special by one stage (2 Spa - 1 SpD); | All the damaging moves that affect removed mechanics (ex: Held Items and Terastalization) lose their secondary effects regairding those | All status moves that only affect removed mechanics are removed (banned); | Dark, Steel and Fairy type moves will have their type changed to either Normal or the type they were prior to Gens 2 and 6, respectively
  • There is no team preview;
  • Critical hits work like they did in RBY.
Potential rules:
For now just the Smogon wide clauses
Blissey now has a 135 Special stat, meaning it will not only wall almost anything, but it also hit very hard on return;

Psychic types will be really powerful due to the lack of Dark types and immunity to Ghost. However, since Bug types are actually viable now, Psychics can now be countered more easily;

Due to lack of Fairy and Steel types, Dragon types can now mercilessly spam their STAB moves. Goodra, for example can be quite threatning thanks to its high Special;

In a similar fashion, Ghost types now have STAB moves that only Normal types can stop. Pokémon like Ceruledge, Dragapult and Houndstone can potentially have a quite good time because of this;

Normal types have a good chance of posing a threat due to Fighting type Pokémon and moves likely being far rarer thanks to poweful Psychic types and their Bug checks. Slaking in particular doesn't have its crippling ability anymore. Zoroark-H, Dudunsparce and Maushold look decent as well. However these Normal types have to be prepared for Ghosts;

How should I address Pokemon that change form in the middle of a battle and/or need a specific item and or ability to change forms?

If there is something that I may be missing, just let me know please!

UT

No, I’m not coming to my senses
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Just to let it clear, I suggested this meta in gen 8, but it got refused... so now I'm trying again with several improvements from last time
Any gen1 based meta is going to be rejected. There are far too many changes that are subjective, like how to handle the type chart, what to do about Special, etc. I appreciate you care about this idea, but unfortunately OMs isn’t the place to explore it.

Any gen1 based meta is going to be rejected. There are far too many changes that are subjective, like how to handle the type chart, what to do about Special, etc. I appreciate you care about this idea, but unfortunately OMs isn’t the place to explore it.
Fine.. ig. Thank you for liking the idea anyways :)

KaenSoul

Community Leader

Metagame premise:
This will be a Gen 9 OU based meta, but with several mechanics from Gen 1 (RBY):
  • The Gen 1 type chart;
  • This means no Fairy, Dark or Steel types. Pokémon that have these types will either lose that typing (Iron Valliant would be a pure Fighting type, Corvknight will be pure Flying, Kingambit would be a Normal type etc.) or a type from their pre-evolution (Tyranitar would be Rock/Ground).
  • All Pokémon lose their SpA and SpD in exchange for a Special Stat. That stat would be given to a Pokémon under some rules
Evolutions from Gen 1 Pokémon's Special will depend on how the Pre-Evolution's Special got split in Gen 2 (for example Primeape had a base Special of 60, wich became its SpA, so Annihilape would have a Special stat of 50, its base SpA stat), Else it has a Special equal either to its SpA or SpD depending from wich its higher (for Example Lucario would have a 115 base Special stat)
  • Abilities, Natures, Held Items, Genders, Shiny Pokémon and Terastalization are removed. EVs can all be maxed out (252) with no restrictions (like they did in Gen 1).
In addition to this, there will be also be some important quirks:
  • There will be no Physical/Special split for moves. Their category will depend on their typing, like it was prior to Gen 4 (For example Focus Blast would be Physical and Psychic Fangs would be Special)
  • Almost all moves work as normal otherwise;
Moves that boosts or drops either SpA and/or SpD boost or drop Special instead (Nasty Plot would boost Special by two stages, Shadow Ball would have a chance of droping the target's Special by one stage, etc.); | If a move raises or drops SpA and/ or SpD at the same time, the changes are applied separately (ex: Calm Mind would boost Special by two stages (1 SpA + 1 SpD), Shell Smash would boost Special by one stage (2 Spa - 1 SpD); | All the damaging moves that affect removed mechanics (ex: Held Items and Terastalization) lose their secondary effects regairding those | All status moves that only affect removed mechanics are removed (banned); | Dark, Steel and Fairy type moves will have their type changed to either Normal or the type they were prior to Gens 2 and 6, respectively
  • There is no team preview;
  • Critical hits work like they did in RBY.
Potential rules:
For now just the Smogon wide clauses
Blissey now has a 135 Special stat, meaning it will not only wall almost anything, but it also hit very hard on return;

Psychic types will be really powerful due to the lack of Dark types and immunity to Ghost. However, since Bug types are actually viable now, Psychics can now be countered more easily;

Due to lack of Fairy and Steel types, Dragon types can now mercilessly spam their STAB moves. Goodra, for example can be quite threatning thanks to its high Special;

In a similar fashion, Ghost types now have STAB moves that only Normal types can stop. Pokémon like Ceruledge, Dragapult and Houndstone can potentially have a quite good time because of this;

Normal types have a good chance of posing a threat due to Fighting type Pokémon and moves likely being far rarer thanks to poweful Psychic types and their Bug checks. Slaking in particular doesn't have its crippling ability anymore. Zoroark-H, Dudunsparce and Maushold look decent as well. However these Normal types have to be prepared for Ghosts;

How should I address Pokemon that change form in the middle of a battle and/or need a specific item and or ability to change forms?

If there is something that I may be missing, just let me know please!
You may want to check MG1
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gen-9-modern-gen-1.3711533/
As a petmod it can get away with this large amount of changes and is pretty much what you are trying to make here.
Trying to mix the mechanics of two different gens to this degree is just too much for an OM.

I don't think I get this, like, you still have to wait a turn even to switch so most decisions would still be the same, no?
Doesn't seems like it would cause that many changes beyond a few small mind games.
I also got the same impression as you did but I think I get it.
It's not turn 1 nothing happens, turn 2 your input from turn 1, turn 3 nothing, turn 4 your input from turn 3

It's
Turn 1 nothing, turn 2 your input from turn 1, turn 3 your input from turn 2.

This means that, when turn 2 rolls around you'll have to decide what to do on turn 3 without knowing how turn 2 will play out.
IE: Let's say in turn 1 you clicked Return with your Eevee. Turn 1 is the nothing turn so now you're choosing your move for turn 2. You know that this turn your Eevee will use Return, and whatever you pick rn would happen turn 3 - for this example you pick Body Slam.

Here's where this becomes cool: Let's say you're the opponent of the Eevee player.
Your lead doesn't match well vs Eevee so turn 1, so you click to switch to Chandelure. Turn 1 is the nothing turn. Then, turn 2 rolls around and your mon switches to Chandelure and it ignores the Return. The Eevee player clicked Body Slam turn 2 - this means that when turn 3 rolls around it will be forced to Body Slam the Chandelure.

It basically forces you to predict not just their current move but also their next move too. I think it sounds really cool but I have one major question:
When you click to switch turn 1, how does you choose the move turn 2? Turn 2 you'd be choosing the move for turn 3 - ie Chandelure's move - but you still have your mon not having switched out turn 2. Would the HUD update to show you Chandelure's moves turn 2 rather than the current mon's moves turn 2? What about Dragon Tail or Whirlwhind?

Just something I have been thinking about:

BatonMons
Metagame Premise:
Upon switching out, but not dying, a Pokemon automatically Baton Passes.
Bans:

Standard Smogon clauses, OU bans, maybe Unaware/Natural Cure, Trapping, Perish Song, Moody
Threats:
Increased Viability:
Condition placers :glimmora: :amoonguss:, Guts :ursaring:, Setup Sweepers :roaring moon:, Unaware :dondozo:, Natural Cure :blissey:, Stuff with body press and high defense :forretress:
Decreased Viability:
Anything that dies quickly, because it breaks setups. :caterpie:
Questions:
Should pokemon baton pass upon dying?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)