March 7* Raid Event - Decidueye (Flying Tera)

So Accuracy reducers are indeed worthwhile for most of the fight. Does he Shield early, late, or just by health? Like would it be possible to blow past his Debuff Cleanse + SD threshold?
I think the only way to blow past it would be if everyone is perfectly on point with their timing.

The real issue is
Flash (removed from the game, blocked by shield anyway)
Kinesis (not available, Decidueye would kill Alakazam anyway, move is bad, blocked by shield)
Leaf Tornado (removed from the game, you are not bringing a grass type to this)
Mirror Shot (removed from the game)
Mud Bomb (removed from the game, Decidueye is immune anyway)
Mud-Slap (Decidueye is immune)
Muddy Water
Night Daze (do not bring Zoroark)
Octazooka (not available, Decidueye would kill Octillery or Grapploct anyway)
Sand Attack
Secret Power (removed from the game)
Smokescreen (removed from the game, blocked by shield)

Yo uare probably not bringing a Muddy Water user and Sand Attack has limited time frame to be used

I think the only way to blow past it would be if everyone is perfectly on point with their timing.

The real issue is
Flash (removed from the game, blocked by shield anyway)
Kinesis (not available, Decidueye would kill Alakazam anyway, move is bad, blocked by shield)
Leaf Tornado (removed from the game, you are not bringing a grass type to this)
Mirror Shot (removed from the game)
Mud Bomb (removed from the game, Decidueye is immune anyway)
Mud-Slap (Decidueye is immune)
Muddy Water
Night Daze (do not bring Zoroark)
Octazooka (not available, Decidueye would kill Octillery or Grapploct anyway)
Sand Attack
Secret Power (removed from the game)
Smokescreen (removed from the game, blocked by shield)

Yo uare probably not bringing a Muddy Water user and Sand Attack has limited time frame to be used
Looking at Muddy Water users made me curious, do you think Goodra would be a good Support for this? Life Dew access, a pretty good array of Support moves like Acid Spray for Bellibolts (whether they DPS or do Chilling Water debuffs), the mentioned Muddy Water as a potential Damage/Accuracy drop option, Acid Armor to tank out while doing its support, etc.

This is anecdotal, but across my attempts it seemed like the cleanse+SD happens around 1/3 to 2/5 of the time depleted, and the double attacking starts at around half health. If they happen to coincide and you don't have full HP or things like reflect/defense cheer up it's really tough to avoid getting KOed.

According to https://stevecooktu.github.io/sv_raid_lookup/, these are Decidueye's thresholds for each action:
1679081656615.png

Notes:
- It appears that Decidueye does not have the usual 128 defenses EV investment.
- Based on the anecdotes, I believe that the "Second Shield Trigger" values are for when Decidueye starts its double attacks after when it puts the shield up for the HP threshold.

I also realized that there are no bonus 5-star mini raid helper mons this time, so I wonder if we'll still get an advice page for this one.

EDIT:
1679083798904.png

The solo clear (without Intimidate) went about the same.
I used Charge, Metal Sound (+1 from Throat Spray after Decidueye's reset), Attack cheer, and Electro Drift to clear in 4 turns.

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
According to https://stevecooktu.github.io/sv_raid_lookup/, these are Decidueye's thresholds for each action:
View attachment 500573
Notes:
- Based on the anecdotes, I believe that the "Second Shield Trigger" values are for when Decidueye starts its double attacks after when it puts the shield up for the HP threshold.

I also realized that there are no bonus 5-star mini raid helper mons this time, so I wonder if we'll still get an advice page for this one.

EDIT:
View attachment 500586
I used Charge, Metal Sound (+1 from Throat Spray after Decidueye's reset), Attack cheer, and Electro Drift to clear in 4 turns.
This thing is the truth— so easy…

This with a side of 6 Rice + Wasabi (I know bleh but… Pokemon recipes…)

Got mine with a Bellibolt Solo, just gotta make sure you get Intimidate partners or Chilling Water Toxapex. Then just Acid Spray stacking and Tera Electric Parabolic Charge until it dies. My item was pointless Terrain Extender, so could change that for Leftovers or something like that to improve output (and thus healing)

View attachment 500573
Notes:

EDIT:
View attachment 500586
Did you use max hp max special attack?

Did you use max hp max special attack?
Yes. Miraidon can live 3 hits from the 120BP Low Kick/Spirit Shackles with no crits, so this setup feels more consistent than stacking multiple Metal Sound uses. Apparently it may not be a guaranteed OHKO depending on rolls, but so far I haven't had Decidueye live a Drift with AI chip damage and at that point getting the attack off should put you in a decent position to win.

On a side note, Slowbro returns to solo yet another starter raid.

Decided to train a Bellibolt for grinding the raid but I got all the way to battling a Decidueye before realising it was a raid Bellibolt with Tera Water. It still works fine but I can never Tera else I reveal my shame to my raid partners and get wiped out by crit Leaf Blade haha
Got mine with a Bellibolt Solo, just gotta make sure you get Intimidate partners or Chilling Water Toxapex. Then just Acid Spray stacking and Tera Electric Parabolic Charge until it dies. My item was pointless Terrain Extender, so could change that for Leftovers or something like that to improve output (and thus healing)
I'm liking Big Root on mine (if only because I hate waiting through the Leftovers text)

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
View attachment 500573
Notes:

EDIT:
View attachment 500586
Huh. Did not know this.

New for Gen IX.

If the user's next move is not Electric-type, Charge no longer wears off

After several hit-and-miss attempts to get faster wins by joining other raids with Miraidon, I found it’s just not worth it without an orchestrated 4 man team. Even when you get 2 Miraidon 2Bellibolt, sometimes you dominate and win in like 4 turns. Sometimes you get double shot and killed until the whole team dead. Sometimes you lost just because of these double attacks causing all the animations clog and the computer says “Released Energy” despite that your teammate’s attack clearly just killed it. Too much loss to make it worth while.

I gave up and just started repeatedly soloing with the above Corviknight.

when trying to go on the offensive with just 3-4 Hone Claws I lost a couple times. I found that as long as I go for the whole 6 I win every time.

First turn Power Trick to Charge.
Stay Wipe
Next Iron defense 3 times.
Then Hone Claws 6 times.
Power Cheer once
Kill in 4 turns, two pre-Terra, two post.

The stupid thing is when the feather Dance somehow goes through Mirror Armir and I need to boost to +8 attack.Doable and winnable, just annoying
This tactics is pretty awesome!!!! Worked really well for me! Thank you very much for posting It!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes. Miraidon can live 3 hits from the 120BP Low Kick/Spirit Shackles with no crits, so this setup feels more consistent than stacking multiple Metal Sound uses. Apparently it may not be a guaranteed OHKO depending on rolls, but so far I haven't had Decidueye live a Drift with AI chip damage and at that point getting the attack off should put you in a decent position to win.

On a side note, Slowbro returns to solo yet another starter raid.
Yeah too easy to miss metal sounds and miss out on the window before shield goes up when trying to stack. This is genius because you get at least 2 but probably 3 chances to hit just 1 metal sound and get it off. Throat Spray strat soooo reliable. Thanks for posting!

I have had it live once for me— you could Calm Mind or cheer twice to clinche it but feels unnecessary. When it lives it has soooo little HP it has like no chance to survive a 2nd Drift. This strat is basically fool proof, and super efficient.

I found in 1 half hour run with a 6 Rice+Wasabi Sandwhich I could beat Decidueye 6-9 times depending on spawn location. That a lotta meds

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Do you have Scarlet so you can't use the thunderbike? Tired of using headphone frog in online randoms and losing? Looking for the Hot New Support Pokemon?
:sv/perrserker:
Perrserker @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def OR 164 HP / 252 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Chilling Water
- Iron Defense
- Fake Tears
- Helping Hand

The cat will not be doing damage, but it sure won't be dying basically ever. Use Chilling Water or Fake Tears (depending on how many Miraidon are going to carry the raid) turn 1, Iron Defense after the buff removal, and then spam Chilling Water until the owl's weak.

0+ Atk Tera Flying Decidueye Low Kick (60 BP) vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Perrserker: 38-46 (11 - 13.3%) -- possible 8HKO

You're relying entirely on the teammates to do damage here, but by being a focused Chilling Water bot you're keeping them alive after the Decidueye starts going crazy with multiple attacks. Battle Armor means that you can't even be KOed by an unfortunate crit (aside from one turn) the way Bellibolt can be.

E: Alternative EV spread will outpace Brave Decidueye, letting you get off Chilling Waters and Iron Defense before the owl attacks (which will reduce damage more than the extra HP EVs), so it's probably the best option.

Last edited:
So. Ghost/Fighting, as anyone who's used Marshadow will know, was described as "perfect neutral coverage" back then; nowadays that's no longer the case with H-Zoroark running around, but it's for that reason that Decidueye has other moves as well. It will happily Brave Bird the Zoroark and get a decent amount of damage out of it. So clearly, nothing can resist all the moves, but I was wondering how close it was possible to get.

Brave Bird, Leaf Blade, and Spirit Shackle all have some kind of STAB boost, so just looking at those three moves, already we're down to just one existing type combo that resists all three: Steel/Dark, represented by the Kingambit line and nothing else. And of course, that fourth move takes advantage of a huge weakness and Kingambit's substantial weight--even if you make it as physically bulky as possible, Low Kick is still a 2HKO. Eviolite Bisharp fares a bit better, but still takes way too much for comfort.

Enter Pawniard. Yes, first-stage, 340-BST Pawniard. It's light enough that Low Kick is only 40 power, so Eviolite would effectively reduce that to 26 power. Or, alternatively, since it's just above the lowest jump point, you can use Float Stone to kick it back down to 5.01 and make Low Kick only 20 power, though that won't reduce any damage on the other moves. As it turns out, the resisted Brave Bird is right around the same damage as a double-weakness Low Kick, which should be encouraged since every time it picks Brave Bird that's a bit of chip damage to wear it down, and it's less than 30% in any event.

After experimenting with this, one thing became clear. Because of Decidueye's Brave nature, Pawniard only needs 12 Speed EVs to creep it, and you should absolutely go for that since it means you get Iron Defense up before their move, and now suddenly 30% turns to 15%.

Unfortunately, Pawniard's move pool is rather lacking. It gets about one good support move (Metal Sound) for enabling Miraidon sweeps, and that's it. If the shield ever goes up, Pawniard can max out on Iron Defenses and focus on not dying, using cheers as necessary, but that's about it. It gets Foul Play to synergize with Decidueye's own Swords Dance, and Poison Jab to fish for even more chip damage on every remaining turn, ultimately nothing impressive from either attack though. I've managed to get about halfway through the health bar on a solo effort (to include a shield break after the low-timer warning), but full soloing with this is probably not feasible. If it were, the moveset for it is likely Iron Defense/Swords Dance/Iron Head/Rest with Tera Steel, figuring that it'll switch to Spirit Shackle on most turns after the tera is revealed, which means less chip from Brave Bird.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I solo’ed the raid easily with the 4-turn throat spray Miraidon strategy posted earlier by doipy hooves . Brilliant, fast and easy. Word to the wise - don’t waste time with your moves or the NPC’s might proc the shield and ruin your one-shot on turn #4. But other than that, it sure feels like that miraidon is the go-to solo textbook for Decidueye.

Random teams are a different story entirely.
Even when I was on teams with Miraidons/Bellibolts, i couldn’t win a single one in my first 6-7 tries. Players aren’t on the same page, and the shield procs pretty quick. Next thing you know, Decidueye does the 4 or 5 moves in a row thing ending with a Swords Dance and proceeds to run train on the entire team. It‘s frustrating!

Finally won my first team raid when I brought out this guy on a random team. This is a solid support mon for this raid:

:sv/torkoal:
Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Will-O-Wisp
- Clear Smog
- Iron Defense

WoW on the first turn to suppress damage from the start and before Decidueye does the debuff at the start of turn 2. Then you can Iron Defense after that. With the impossibility of critical hits (gotta love that Shell Armor) and Torkoal’s massive physical bulk, you can then comfortably kick back while the archer owl barely does chip damage to you. After the shield goes up, you can do cheers to help the team or fish for another burn with Lava Plume and build tera in advance of phase two of the battle, where Torkoal is soooo clutch. When Decidueye does its Swords Dance thing, life gets pretty hard for almost any team. With Torkoal, you can Clear Smog away those boosts and keep your team safe to keep pounding away without fainting. Torkoal isn’t a gamebreaking mon, but it just shows how nice Clear Smog is in these raids with bosses that can boost quickly.

Finally won my first team raid when I brought out this guy on a random team. This is a solid support mon for this raid:

:sv/torkoal:
Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
Tera Type: Fire
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Will-O-Wisp
- Clear Smog
- Iron Defense

WoW on the first turn to suppress damage from the start and before Decidueye does the debuff at the start of turn 2. Then you can Iron Defense after that. With the impossibility of critical hits (gotta love that Shell Armor) and Torkoal’s massive physical bulk, you can then comfortably kick back while the archer owl barely does chip damage to you. After the shield goes up, you can do cheers to help the team or fish for another burn with Lava Plume and build tera in advance of phase two of the battle, where Torkoal is soooo clutch. When Decidueye does its Swords Dance thing, life gets pretty hard for almost any team. With Torkoal, you can Clear Smog away those boosts and keep your team safe to keep pounding away without fainting. Torkoal isn’t a gamebreaking mon, but it just shows how nice Clear Smog is in these raids with bosses that can boost quickly.
I can confirm that Torkoal is quite effective. I've been running mine with Zoom Lens to guarantee WoW hitting.

I've also experimented with Inferno over Lava Plume since the burn chance is twice as high with it when factoring in Zoom Lens.

:Qwilfish:

Qwilfish @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Acid Spray
- Chilling Water
- Minimize

Loving Qwilfish rn. Fast support w/ Intimidate for attack debuff shuffling, Taunt to stop SD, typical Acid Spray + Chilling Water combo, and Minimize to dodge Air Cutter and Brave Bird.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So the word seems to be getting out on the playbook for team raids. I am seeing more and more Miraidons and Bellibolts that know what’s up and do the easy mode quick win. For those who don’t know, this is the super simple way to get it done:
  1. Miraidons Charge/MS and Bellibolts Chill Water/Acid Spray for the first two turns
  2. Then Miraidons nuke with Electro Drift on turn 3 or 4, before the shield goes up
  3. gg, Owl faints, no muss no fuss
Unfortuntely, everything goes to hell when some dumbass starts attacking or gets fainted before the nuke. Yesterday, it was almost impossible to do a fast team raid. But today, I have been part of several where every player knows not to proc the shield. But yeah, it sucks when Miraidons or Bellibolts lead off with Parabolic Charge and I facepalm because I know this won’t be a fast 3-4 turn easy win.

But by far the worst is all the stupid Iron Hands that come in, eat an attack, and Belly Drum on turn 1, leaving themselves in the red from the get go. Then they get their buffs reset, their Atk gets Featherdanced to -2, and they proceed to quickly faint to Brave Bird or whatever. It’s ridiculous.
I’ve started canceling out of every raid that has an Iron Hands in it. Not because it’s impossible for Iron Hands to be OK in this raid, but because it’s such a red flag that a noob is going to try to do a standard Hands BD setup and die fast.
Not saying raids with all Miraidons and Bellibolts are safe wins, because they’re not. Plenty of dumb players are using Miraidon, to be sure. But the Hands players are the worst.

I’ve been playing Miraidon and Bellibolt, and I do feel that is the best combo for this raid. But, like with all event raids, I like to tinker and try to find alternative mons that can succeed. And so I started looking at Ice types to use their SE Stab against Flying Decidueye.
I had an Avalugg from the Iron Leaves raid that looked promising on paper… until I realized how hard it gets hit by Air Cutter against Lugg’s craptastic 46 base SpDef! And remember that every time Decidueye uses Air Cutter, it uses it twice in a row. AND it’s a high-crit move. So yeah, Avalugg was a no-go even in the theorymon stage.
I actually made a Baxcalibur and tested it in raids and it did OK. But after trying a few different things, the net result was that 120 BP Low Kicks add up fast. And although Bax could somewhat survive and also help the team a little with Breaking Swipes, it never could get around to doing much meaningful. It wasn’t a total failure, but it wasn’t what I expected — and more importantly for me, it just wasn’t much fun to play.

So that led me to the little mon below. It has been a nifty success. It’s able to slot in perfectly with the Miraidon/Bellibolt teams that are out there, and be a key part of the fast-and-easy strat, if it needs to be. But it also can play the longer brawl and do fine as well. The big thing for me is that it’s different from the regular crowd and it takes advantage of some specific non-obvious stuff to have success. Check it out:

:sv/glaceon:
Glaceon @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Ice
Ability: Ice Body
Bold Nature
- Blizzard
- Chilling Water
- Snowscape
- Fake Tears

Everything about Glaceon fits together nicely for this Decidueye raid. Its stat line is perfect as one of the rare special attacking pokemon that has a high physical defense stat (110 base). Add in the fact that Snow gives Ice types a 50% defense boost, and you have the makings of a great defensive fit against a physical hitting boss like Decidueye. Also remember that the 50% Defense boost is not bypassed by critical hits, so crits are not as gamebreaking for Glaceon in the snow. And speaking of snow… Glaceon’s ability is Ice Body, which gives it effectively an extra lefties recovery for a total of 12.5% added green health goodness every turn. And like an infomercial for Snow lol - But wait, there’s more! Snow also makes Blizzard a 110 BP never-miss attack instead of a 70% accuracy crapshoot. Like they say at Christmas time — let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Fake Tears is used before the shield goes up, probably to help the Miraidons get a quick win. But it also helps Glaceon’s own cause, if need be, if it starts launching Blizzards. Chilling Water is great for the team and for Glaceon, since even without speed investment it sits at 166 speed, which is faster than Brave Decidueye at 158 speed. So it can fire off Chilling Water before the attack, which is super-important for this raid when the owl starts doing all those multi-attack turns.

For anyone worried about Glaceon being weak to Decidueye’s fighting move, Low Kick, that’s the last little clever piece that fits into the puzzle. Because Glaceon only weighs 26 kg, Low Kick is only a 60 BP move. Glaceon only takes 15% damage from unboosted Low Kick and can almost completely recover that off instantly with double-lefties every turn. The damage is so small that Decidueye knows better, and doesn’t bother using Low Kick, even though it’s “super effective”.

I have run Glaceon Modest with max SpAtk, and it did fine. But Glaceon’s real offensive strength is not in its stats (although 130 base SpAtk is certainly impressive). The beauty of Glaceon offensively is that it can build Tera with Chilling Water while helping everyone with damage suppression, and then it can Tera quickly and freely because its mono-Ice. After Glaceon Teras, it gets the tera damage boost and gets the increased shield effect — which far outweighs any offensive EV’s or nature benefits. So I found that Bold max Defense was better for surviveability in the long run.

Glaceon has been fun to run in these raids so far, mainly because it’s a pleasant change of pace from the Miraidon and Bellibolt spam. Give it a try if you want something different, but don’t want to be so quirky that you are a loss liability to the team. Glaceon holds its own just fine, and allows an Eeveelution not named Umbreon to finally get some use in the Tera raids meta ;-)

I had an Avalugg from the Iron Leaves raid that looked promising on paper… until I realized how hard it gets hit by Air Cutter against Lugg’s craptastic 46 base SpDef! And remember that every time Decidueye uses Air Cutter, it uses it twice in a row. AND it’s a high-crit move. So yeah, Avalugg was a no-go even in the theorymon stage.
After some experimentation, I have a solution to your Avalugg issue: Aurora Veil.

:avalugg:

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Snowscape
- Aurora Veil
- Chilling Water
- Avalanche

Max SpDef + Aurora Veil means spread move Air Cutter does pathetic damage to you:

0 SpA Tera Flying Decidueye Air Cutter vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Avalugg with an ally's Aurora Veil: 36-43 (9.1 - 10.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever

At most, you'll take around 20% after both hits, which you'll recover half of that back with Ice Body + Leftovers. Plus, your physical bulk is so titantic that you don't need investment; Snow + Veil + CW attack drops got you covered. I originally had Curse over Chilling Water, but realized CW is the more consistent choice that'll get you to Tera Ice Avalanche faster. That being said, this set ain't perfect. You desperately need a good team for this to work, and as you've said, it's crit-prone. Still was pretty fun to use, regardless.

https://sv-news.pokemon.co.jp/ja/page/79.html

The Japanese advice page is out (as well as some info on the next Blissey 5-star event). It is much shorter to the point due to not having any specific recommendations to use, aside from mentioning Pawmi in an example on how Long Reach works, and just going over its attack patterns and some generic tera type advice.

google translate said:
About the Strongest Decidueye
The strongest Decidueye learns the techniques "Spirit Shackle", "Brave Bird", "Low Kick", and "Leaf Blade" .
In addition, since the ability is "Long Reach" , it will not receive "effects received by touching the attacking opponent".
(Example: Even if you attack Pawmi with the characteristic "Static" with "Low Kick", you will not be paralyzed) Also, when HP is close to half, "Air Cutter" will be released continuously, and after that it will always take actions twice.

Strategy tips
Let's know the advantageous type!
The strongest Decidueye is the Flying Tera type. Electric-type, Ice-type, and Rock-type moves attack Flying-type Pokémon and have an outstanding effect (doubled), but Ice-types will take effective damage from Low Kick and Rock-types will take effective damage from Low Kick and Leaf Blade.

Terastal and type change!
It is also effective to change the type of Pokemon by terastallization.
Fire, Electric, and Fairy types are less likely to receive super effective damage from the strongest Decidueye, so it might be a good idea to confront them with these Tera types.
Electric-type moves are extremely effective against the strongest Decidueye, so it's reassuring to have an Electric-type Pokemon that excels in both offense and defense!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)