Keldeo, evaluating a potential suspect test.

Does Keldeo deserve to be suspect tested?

• Yes, there are enough clues that it may be broken.

Votes: 158 71.5%
  • No, there's no chance that it's broken.

Votes: 63 28.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
fuck man i cant counter this terrakion cuz it could run rock gem stone edge, it could run hp ice omfg its gonna sweep my team for sure
i go into my scizor to revenge it and it turns out to be babiri berry and when i go into my scarfmence its scarfed itself wth
I'm also sick of theorymonning because in practice, Keldeo has been the least of my problems

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Keldeo isn't the only pokemon that can take on everything with 2-3 sets. The point is you can't expect to have a perfect counter for everything in this meta; much less here than in DPP OU. If a threat can be sufficiently weakened by a good check (it doesn't come out unscathed, even if it takes its check down); or a good check can beat it with intelligent switching (like, switching your Celebi out of Keldeo to see if it has HP Bug...), that's good enough to be in this meta imo.

I could say than in practice, Keldeo was the key to dismantle most of my opponents teams (which is the truth, needing sometimes Jellicent to be catched off guard), I'm not sure it would be a very good argument... First, it depends of the opponent I battled (and there is a lot of randomness here), second it depends of my 5 other mons, third it depends of my own battling skills (which aren't excellent, but see first)

So theorymonning has serious flaws, but "in pratice" affirmations are even worse since there is no argument other than "I battled and it was like that with my team, my skill and my opponents, trust me it is like that", which isn't exactly an argument but more an arbitrary statement.

Also Spinda, Choice Scarf, Choice Specs and E-Belt are all three common sets of Keldeo in competitive play, and if you can guess a little bit looking on teammates, you cannot be sure of which of these set it is. Babiri or IDKW Terrakion is nowhere as common, because it's not as good as other sets.

Last edited:
I could say than in practice, Keldeo was the key to dismantle most of my opponents teams (which is the truth, needing sometimes Jellicent to be catched off guard), I'm not sure it would be a very good argument... First, it depends of the opponent I battled (and there is a lot of randomness here), second it depends of my 5 other mons, third it depends of my own battling skills (which aren't excellent, but see first)

So theorymonning has serious flaws, but "in pratice" affirmations are even worse since there is no argument other than "I battled and it was like that with my team, my skill and my opponents".

Also Spinda, Choice Scarf, Choice Specs and E-Belt are all three common sets of Keldeo in competitive play, and if you can guess a little bit looking on teammates, you cannot be sure of which of these set it is. Babiri or IDKW Terrakion is nowhere as common, because it's not as good as other sets.
They're not bad sets, so no that isn't the reason they're uncommon, also them being uncommon doesn't make them less of a problem, it makes it even more of a problem because you can't possibly predict it.

I think the meddling issue with Keldeo is his speed, anything that outspeeds and is solidly OU atm share the same weakness: Gengar, Latios, Latias, Starmie, Alakazam and Espeon and can be trapped by the same pokemon and they are all special attackers, and the rest are either SR leads like Azelf or can't switch into Keledo (or forced out) like Terrakion and Weavile if they aren't boosted.

Now don't get me wrong, I still think HO and offensive teams in general can deal with Keledo as I said before. You can set up on it's scarf set/weak coverage moves or use your own or even change weather if it comes with Drizzle support, you can boost your offensive pokemons speed and sweep him and his support, you can set up hazards, lure it out mid game and deal damage to it and bring it within priority KO range, etc.

But then there are teams that aren't offensively oriented and rely on switching between walls, hazards and passive damage as well as lacking anything that outspeed Keldeo for the most part. They usually have to see what set it's running and what it's coverage moves are before sending in the appropriate wall to deal with it. The thing is, pokemon that are used as special walls like Celebi and Jellicent also share the same weakness while the Pink Blobs can't switch into Keledo anyway.

Now usually this is the part where somebody says well then use special walls that can actually handle him or use abilities such as prankster and status moves like Thunder wave and pokemon that steal weathers for themselves like Kingdra and Stoutland or outspeed pokemon like Tornadus or anything that suggests you adapt to the meta. The popular retort to this "the pokemon or sets are very niche and have the sole purpose of stopping this one pokemon and nothing else".

I can't think of a single pokemon from the begining of Gen 5 till now that hasn't seen change in either the popularity of it's different sets or even complete makeovers or decrease/increase of usage. Not one.

Edit: So I guess the question that I want to ask everyone is this, can you or can you not stop Keledo from doing it's job without making your team subpar in the process? Have you tried?

Last edited:

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
FYI: I invented popularized EB Keldeo, and let me tell you: people told me EB Keldeo was bad. However, when I used it, everyone used Scarf Keldeo and ultimately no one was prepared for it. Now the metagame has shifted to deal with EB Keldeo due to how wrong the said users were when they said this.
i would like to point out that i'm pretty sure you didn't popularize expert belt keldeo. if anyone, i think it was gr8astard, but i think people just kind of came to a consensus that it was a Good set. sorry for the call out but i dont like the dick waving in this thread :o keldeo is strong

Chou, the problem with your argument is that many people are talking about many different sets and you were mixing all these together. To keep things simple, standard Choice Specs Keldeo (Pump, Sword, Ghost, Wind) literally 2HKOs the entire OU metagame under Rain and after SR. (assuming proper prediction of course)
Dragonite (OU Tank (Rain) [Multiscale])Icy Wind33.67 - 39.89%Hydro Pump20.46 - 24.09%
Jellicent (OU Special Wall)HP Ghost40.59 - 48.01%Icy Wind7.92 - 9.4%
Celebi (OU Specially Defensive)HP Ghost41.58 - 49%Hydro Pump39.6 - 46.78%
Celebi (OU Baton Pass)HP Ghost42.07 - 49.5%Hydro Pump40.09 - 47.27%
Amoonguss (OU Wall)Hydro Pump43.05 - 50.69%Icy Wind35.18 - 41.66%
Venusaur (OU SubSeed)Hydro Pump43.68 - 51.37%Icy Wind35.71 - 42.3%

Your best shot is to use 252/252 Latias so that you can outspeed the HP Ghost and avoid the 2HKO from Icy Wind. (which still does 38% min)

I personally prefer standard EBelt Keldeo (Pump, Sword, Bug, Wind) because it's more flexible. It still maintains most of the punch as the only counters to that set is Jellicent, Toxicroak, Amoongus, Roserade, Gyarados (only outside of Rain and only works once otherwise) and max HP Latias (it better make sure to stay as healthy as possible, though). It may have more switch-ins to it than Specs Keldeo but I know that all of these are either obscure, shaky, locked into a specific playstyle, or otherwise easy to take advantage of which I can easily account for in teambuilding. Of course, if your definition of broken is the number of counters you can count then the standard Specs Keldeo should do since its only counter is shaky at that. (It's not like Keldeo has some other crippling flaw. It's hazard resistant, fairly bulky, definitely fast, and can accomplish the majority of its job with a spammable STAB.)

Edit: Exactly, I was saying that your response to rey's argument mixed up a bunch of different arguments about different sets at once. (or was that the point?)

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As I said, I'm not arguing against Keldeo being tested (I personally think it could use a test), I'm just weighing in against those specific arguments that don't make sense (or are just flippant like Rey's).

I dunno why Blarajan's post got deleted, but I'm fusing my 2 similar posts together.

@blarajan's Post-- I can see the main logic behind this post as very solid.

In my first round of surveying, it was pretty clear that the majority of OU players think that it's often wrong to question whether something should be tested-- since it's just a test.

Even @Haunter's poll question; I mean, I don't think Keldeo should be banned, but there's little to no reason for me to refute the idea of testing it.

edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is it's hard for me to pick "No, there's no reason to test at all", but I can understand the tiering leader's feelings of needing to confirm that we have enough sentiment to validate a test.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, @blarajan, I think the idea is to make sure that the community thinks the suspect at hand is enough of a problem, so the OU council can determine if there is sufficient evidence for it to be worth suspecting. There's also a mentality that suspecting is very likely to equal banning at this point in time. These threads are like nomination threads except focusing on one Pokemon to keep the flow of the conversation from going haywire and ensuring the council stays in control of the discussions to at least some extent. It's also a lot easier to pick through a thread for information about a topic when the thread is solely about the topic itself. There are numerous benefits to having these suspect threads, and while yes the talk does get to whether or not it's broken, that's only natural when you're talking about something controversial. Suspecting may not directly equal banning, but it does absolutely equal possibility to be banned, so these threads are worth it for the job they do.

Well considering how my post was deleted for some reason, yours and Chou's responses have significantly less context. I'll summarize the post they're responding to with "this is a stupid thread, we don't need more extra steps, everyone is just going to use the exact same arguments in Keldeo's inevitable suspect thread."

In response to Jukain: That just seems unnecessary to me. If there's enough reasoning for Keldeo to even put up this thread, it's probably worth it as a suspect. The OU Council isn't full of individuals who are out of touch with the metagame--they understand what's likely the biggest suspect at this point in time. The rest of your post really makes no sense. What nomination thread? There is no nomination thread--just a Keldeo suspect thread. The whole point of the Keldeo suspect thread is to do THE EXACT SAME THING as this thread. It focuses on one Pokemon (Keldeo). There is zero difference in "the flow of the conversation from going haywire and ensuring the counsil stays in control of the discussions to at least some extent" in this thread or a suspect thread (both are: modded, read, and affected by discussion leaders). There is zero difference in this thread and a Suspect thread as both are ONLY about the topic itself.

This thread: "Discuss whether Keldeo is problematic enough to be considered a Suspect Pokemon by examining its characteristics and what makes it valuable as a suspect."

Suspect thread: "Discuss whether Keldeo is problematic enough to be considered broken."

The latter encompasses the former, and if this thread is worth having at all then it's rather obvious that Keldeo is a worthy suspect. Entirely unnecessary step with absolutely zero benefits.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In response to Jukain: That just seems unnecessary to me. If there's enough reasoning for Keldeo to even put up this thread, it's probably worth it as a suspect. The OU Council isn't full of individuals who are out of touch with the metagame--they understand what's likely the biggest suspect at this point in time. The rest of your post really makes no sense. What nomination thread? There is no nomination thread--just a Keldeo suspect thread. The whole point of the Keldeo suspect thread is to do THE EXACT SAME THING as this thread. It focuses on one Pokemon (Keldeo). There is zero difference in "the flow of the conversation from going haywire and ensuring the counsil stays in control of the discussions to at least some extent" in this thread or a suspect thread (both are: modded, read, and affected by discussion leaders). There is zero difference in this thread and a Suspect thread as both are ONLY about the topic itself.

This thread: "Discuss whether Keldeo is problematic enough to be considered a Suspect Pokemon by examining its characteristics and what makes it valuable as a suspect."

Suspect thread: "Discuss whether Keldeo is problematic enough to be considered broken."

The latter encompasses the former, and if this thread is worth having at all then it's rather obvious that Keldeo is a worthy suspect. Entirely unnecessary step with absolutely zero benefits.
I meant nomination threads a la most of BW1 suspecting. Before there was a council, users nominated Pokemon and voted to decide which ones would get a suspect test. It was a chaotic system that had tons of issues. These new threads replace that chaos with organized discussion about one threat. I agree that the thread has about run its course at this point and probably a little bit before, but the thread does provide useful insight into Keldeo as a suspect. A little extra discussion can't hurt, and there are already existent conclusions, arguments, and points before the np thread starts, all of which bog down the development of said thread.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Instead, Keldeo always has TTar AND Politoad support, has HP Bug, Ghost, and Electric, in addition to CM and Icy Wind and is using CScarf, CSpecs, and switching attacks with E-Belt simultaneously.
I don't think this is so much individual users making contradictions, rather everyone arguing for a different set.

I know that virtually all of my posts have assumed standard specs hpump/icy wind/hp electric/secret sword with rain support and scizor providing pursuit (if any pursuit support is implied). Another person's post may be scarf. One may be ebelt, etc. reading all these individual arguments makes it quite easy to combine them into a big contradiction when that isn't actually the case.

I'm going to have to try out cm though. Especially paired with something like wobuffet to take care of scarfers and the latis, it seems incredibly potent

Well considering how my post was deleted for some reason, yours and Chou's responses have significantly less context. I'll summarize the post they're responding to with "this is a stupid thread, we don't need more extra steps, everyone is just going to use the exact same arguments in Keldeo's inevitable suspect thread."

THANK YOU. To think I thought I was the only one who felt having a thread to discuss if a pokemon is worthy to be a suspect or not (AKA this thread) already implies that it should be tested. This thread is awfully time wasting because the same exact shit is going to be posted in the actual suspect thread with the exception of how the suspect ladder is without Keldeo. As for my thoughts on whether it should be suspected or neglected, why not? This is OU; this is the biggest tier available to play. We have so many players that we can actually afford to have a suspect ladder and a current ladder. Seriously, what's the harm in suspecting ANYTHING that seems controversial to have in OU when we are under the conditions I previously stated? The next question would be, do I think Keldeo is broken? I don't know for sure so lets find out if its broken by having a damn suspect test.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

In response to Jukain: That just seems unnecessary to me. If there's enough reasoning for Keldeo to even put up this thread, it's probably worth it as a suspect. The OU Council isn't full of individuals who are out of touch with the metagame--they understand what's likely the biggest suspect at this point in time. The rest of your post really makes no sense. What nomination thread? There is no nomination thread--just a Keldeo suspect thread. The whole point of the Keldeo suspect thread is to do THE EXACT SAME THING as this thread. It focuses on one Pokemon (Keldeo). There is zero difference in "the flow of the conversation from going haywire and ensuring the counsil stays in control of the discussions to at least some extent" in this thread or a suspect thread (both are: modded, read, and affected by discussion leaders). There is zero difference in this thread and a Suspect thread as both are ONLY about the topic itself

Wrong. All this thread is is determining whether or not it is worth suspecting Keldeo. A Keldeo suspect thread would be talking about whether or not it is broken. This thread is leading to whether or not we should even have that discussion. There is a very importance difference between this thread and a suspect thread lol...in the suspect thread, the Pokemon is actually a suspect.

No, considering this thread does not default a Pokemon to suspect. That is utterly retarded. We've considered Kyurem-B, Gothitelle, Stealth Rock for suspect as well...are you trying to say that simply because you consider something a potential suspect we should just default to suspect? I hope not, because that would be sheer stupidity.

No.

Just because the latter encompasses the former does not mean the former is unnecessary lmao. You are using some severely fault logic here. It is because the latter encompasses the former AND HAS MORE STUFF (actual suspecting) that we are determining whether that has more stuff part is worth it.

Maybe 0 benefits to you, but I see plenty of benefits.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
THANK YOU. To think I thought I was the only one who felt having a thread to discuss if a pokemon is worthy to be a suspect or not (AKA this thread) already implies that it should be tested. This thread is awfully time wasting because the same exact shit is going to be posted in the actual suspect thread with the exception of how the suspect ladder is without Keldeo. As for my thoughts on whether it should be suspected or neglected, why not? This is OU; this is the biggest tier available to play. We have so many players that we can actually afford to have a suspect ladder and a current ladder. Seriously, what's the harm in suspecting ANYTHING that seems controversial to have in OU when we are under the conditions I previously stated? The next question would be, do I think Keldeo is broken? I don't know for sure so lets find out if its broken by having a damn suspect test.

Once again no. Do you guys live in a vacuum with no consideration for practical resources like time, administrative overhead, etc.?

Plenty of things can be in the discussion to be suspected. All of these include Drizzle, Drought, Kyurem-B, Stealth Rock, Scald, U-turn, Keldeo, and Terrakion...so just because we've discussed them as potential suspects we should auto suspect them?

Also, I have no idea how to seriously respond to "whats the harm in suspecting anything." If you can't use your brain to figure that out, that's on you.

Where do you guys come up with this nonsense.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I don't think (at least for the most part) that the intention was that taking time/discussion to determine the suspects is unnecesary (at least that isn't what I gathered). Rather there is just concern over efficiency. The discussion on this thread is undoubtably over whether or not it is broken (to determine a suspect, as even stated in the poll, there must be clues suggesting its brokenness, discussing these clues means essentially arguing as to whether or not it is broken. Even aside from this, you are asuming an ideal discussion focused primarily on whether keldeo should be suspected while that simply isn't the case). That isn't to say the FOCUS of many posts is broken/not (Chou's for example notes possible factors and why it should be suspected while acknowledging his lack of confidence in its brokenness), but in the suspect thread it will be the same exact arguments, the same discussions, the same everything.

That was the concern. But as you mentioned, it is an unavoidable one considering laddering takes place during the suspect thread and that is what determines its length, while it is still neccesary to have a pre suspect discussion. @Aldaron

Hey, wasn't there already a suspect test for keldeo a while back? with the only difference being that keldeo has gone up in usage and people have "figured" out how to use it and one useful counter in tornadus-t was banned? say what you want about it now, but whatever arguments against banning it that applied in the past surely apply now (wasnt part of/paying attention to that suspect test).

Hey, wasn't there already a suspect test for keldeo a while back? with the only difference being that keldeo has gone up in usage and people have "figured" out how to use it and one useful counter in tornadus-t was banned? say what you want about it now, but whatever arguments against banning it that applied in the past surely apply now (wasnt part of/paying attention to that suspect test).
Uh...were you around back then? Because Keldeo shared a suspect with a terribly unbalanced rain abuser, so Keldeo got swept aside in favor of the monster that was Tornadus-T.

Keldeo was sort of lukewarm back then because no one knew what it was capable of. It's only now that the dust has settled, have people turned to the next titan of OU.

Shingeki no Keldeo

Uh...were you around back then? Because Keldeo shared a suspect with a terribly unbalanced rain abuser, so Keldeo got swept aside in favor of the monster that was Tornadus-T.

Keldeo was sort of lukewarm back then because no one knew what it was capable of. It's only now that the dust has settled, have people turned to the next titan of OU.
No i was much lower on the ladder and didnt care about this stuff much back then.

if thats the case, then that was a pretty terrible and unfair "test" and id say either smogon is doing a terrible job keeping bias out of their tests (if you know anything about statistics, you would be so alarmed to have any bias in your test) or the test was fair and adequate and people just want to get rid of stuff thats strong and they dont know how to propery beat. poeple that are on the council, what say you? are your tests free of bias?

No i was much lower on the ladder and didnt care about this stuff much back then.

if thats the case, then that was a pretty terrible and unfair "test" and id say either smogon is doing a terrible job keeping bias out of their tests (if you know anything about statistics, you would be so alarmed to have any bias in your test) or the test was fair and adequate and people just want to get rid of stuff thats strong and they dont know how to propery beat. poeple that are on the council, what say you? are your tests free of bias?
Or the test didn't have tons bias and the voters made a mistake? Or the voters gave it almost no attention.....Why is it either the council's fault or Keldeo is not broken? Also to think bias in any form can not be in a test in order to make it legitimate is stupid. Bias is impossible to remove.

Edit: Btw, just to prove my point that bias is everywhere, it is clear your post is bias towards do not ban. You post tries to make it seem to the council that they are doing thier job wrong or Keldeo is not broken. Which either gets your way or smears mud on the system.

As far as Keldeo goes. I am not 100% sure personally on if it is broken. However, due to being such a huge threat, capable of blowing past most its counters and the high resistance to passive damage, it is very worthy of a test.

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000

Sorry, but Smogon's tests have nothing to do with statistics. Statistics is used to collect and analyze objective data-- measurable data. Sure, you can measure sentiment as well, but we're not even doing that.

What we do is make policy decisions about balance, and these decisions are made not based on any measurable data, but by the subjective opinions of a set of players; those who make reqs. Even if we call it a "test" it's nothing scientific.

Since there's nothing measurable, and we're just finding about opinions based on current metagame conditions, there's nothing wrong with testing multiple Pokemon at the same time-- it doesn't create error, because other "suspects" are also a "metagame condition."

Besides, you have to also take what Aldaron says into account too-- there is such a thing as limited time and resources.

Even in research, businesses often make decisions based on qualitative data (like a focus group) when there isn't time or justifiable reason in collecting and analyzing quantitative data (random survey).

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think your talking out of your ass tbh, but whatever. Here is what went down and how the metagame has progressed; Keldeo and Tornadus-T were suspect tested at the same time. Keldeo was, at this time, checked fairly hard by Tornadus-T, which could force it out time and time again with the threat of Hurricane, and one thing many people did not like, was giving Tornadus-T free Hurricanes. This indirectly lead to an increase in the popularity of Scarf Keldeo (since it could outspeed Tornadus-T) thus decreasing the effect Tornadus-T had on Keldeo.

The result of the suspect test was that Tornadus-T was declared Uber for various reasons.

Keldeo stayed, and the metagame progressed. Landorus-I began to peak in usage, as it was one of the most powerful sweepers in the tier. Around this time, Celebi peaked in usage for checking both Landorus-I and Keldeo. To get around this, people started using HP Bug Keldeo, who would lure in and destroy Celebi, and then Landorus-I would sweep with Rock Polish. This strategy evolved to include a Scarf Keldeo with U-Turn 4 Attacks Landorus-I which accomplished a similar plan, luring in and killing Celebi so Keldeo / Landorus-I could sweep. The end result of this was that everyone realised how good Expert Belt Keldeo is, as well as how viable the non Scarf Keldeo sets are (CM 3 Attacks, Specs, Expert Belt, Sub CM etc), now that Tornadus-T left the metagame, and at how easy it is to remove Keldeo's counters with the different set. This has resulted in Celebi no longer really being considered a 'safe" Keldeo counter due to how common HP Bug is. This has increased the Jellicent usage (as the better counter) and thus, HP Ghost Keldeo is making a upsurge in popularity and around and around it goes. The result of THIS is people believing Keldeo is worth a suspect retest.

I don't see how bias comes into this at all, since you are apparently clueless that the metagame has changed since Tornadus-T (and now Landorus-I) have been banned. If this was the same metagame, then yes, I could understand your concerns, but the meta has since evolved and thus, your argument caries little weight.

Since there's nothing measurable, and we're just finding about opinions based on current metagame conditions, there's nothing wrong with testing multiple Pokemon at the same time-- it doesn't create error, because other "suspects" are also a "metagame condition."
Well, in fact there is an obvious bias in multiple pokemon test. Take Torn-T, testing both him and Keldy in the same time. Testing multiple suspect at the start of metagame where there was Darkrai and other his one thing, but here it was another.
People found Torn-T the more threatening (no problem here), and then they focused on him. Keldeo was considered a little bit secondary. The comparison between the two pushed people to vote easier ban for Torn-T and easier OU for Keldeo. Also, Keldeo's result was his result in a Torn-T metagame. As soon as he got banned, the fact that Keldeo was deemed OU lost a little bit of his value since he disliked Torn-T. Ultimately, I don't think this bias changed the result of bans, but surely it had an influence on some individual votes.
And if such bias are allowed, they'll end to, in some test, to change the result.
Talking about statistic is maybe not the question here, but bias IS a concern, even more when it's a subjective choice. (Also I'm just saying bias are a real problem which shouldn't be overlooked, not anything else)
tl;dr : each way suspects are done lead to bias, but not at the same point. Bias is never good. Multiple suspecting is problematic, polarizing opinions.

Agree with ginga's analyse which show good Keldeo's recent history in OU.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Look, you seem to be misunderstanding something about both the initial tests for BW1 and BW2.

DARKRAI AND FRIENDS WERE OU. Yes they were being tested, but so were Politoad, Kingdra, Mew, Blaziken, Venusaur, and every other Pokemon allowed in OU. They were not somehow suspects while not being real OU-- they were OU for all intensive purposes.

Hell, we even had a Darkrai analysis halfway sketched up in C&C when we banned it.

Same thing with Torn-T, it was OU.

Even if we call them "suspects", they are conditions of the OU metagame at the time. That's not creating bias, that's looking at the metagame at the time. And again, none of this is measurable or scientific. Keldeo did not get immediately re-tested on its own after Torn-T was banned because the players/leaders at the time did not believe it deserved another test.

All our policy decisions are made based on best judgement of players. If you think that introduces "bias" than you are clearly misunderstanding the very basis of tiering.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Why is everybody using Jellicent so poorly in their theorymon? Jellicent is meant to act as a deterrant for Choice spam of Water- and Fighting-type moves. So when you put up a calc of a 2HKO from Specs HP Electric, please tell me: why is that relevant? If I see you choice locked into a 70 base power non-STAB easily-immuned/resisted attack, do you really think I'm going to let my Jellicent take the second HP Electric and not just switch out? Even if Keldeo double switches when I switch out, I still have a half health Jellicent that still prevents Hydro Pump and Secret Sword spam. So yes, while Specs HP Ghost/Electric does 2HKO Jellicent in a vacuum, a good Jellicent player still presents a significant handicap to Keldeo's power. And yes, Specially Defensive Jellicent sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)