Move Infestation (and trapping moves in general)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it or not, Stunfisk also gets it. Not a very useful addition, just wanted to point it out.

EDIT: Exeggcute too.
EDIT2: And Mr. Mime.

EDIT3:

Last edited:
hold on to your pants for this. what if..... you use not just infestation but also another trapping move like wrap or whirlpool? Plus binding band of course. Thats double the passive damage every turn! And then throw toxic into the mix and bam. Dead in like 3-4 turns if its not a steel or poison type. I know heatmor can use both infestation and fire spin but its obviously not bulky enough to do the job. but imagine it on a shuckle
It's been covered like three times through this topic. You can't stack trapping moves.

For the Swalot set, couldn't Dream Eater be viable over Toxic/Mud Slap.
It makes Swalot a decent threat to fighting and poison types and give it some extra longevity.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeaaa I noticed after I already posted. Anyway, going with what schluppuck said, how about a gimicky infestation/yawn/nightmare? could those be stacked?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
can a ghost type use a infestation/curse set? Off the top of my head I would thing evolite dusclops has the best chance of pulling it off if they work together. yea trapping moves cant be stacked but since curse/nightmare arent trapping moves maybe they dont apply to that rule.

Someone posted this set in Goodra's thread, and I have to say I'm rather liking it. Fire Blast does an admirable job of handling the steels that Toxic can't damage, and generally only things like Heatran and Tentacruel don't care about both.... but are still trapped by Infestation.
Goodra @ Leftovers
Gooey | Bold | 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.D
-Infestation
-Fire Blast
-Toxic
-Protect
....Does anyone know yet if Infestation's effect still applies when the user switches out? If so, it could be used pretty effectively to trap and remove counters, or promote setup for another teammate.

(...I feel like this has been said before...)

Quick question. It's not clearly stated but does the trap effect stop if you switch out your Pokemon using infestation? I FEEL like I've seen people switch out of it after KOing the user, but that might have just been good timing on their part. (Swalot infests, put me to sleep, does some damage, I wake up, I kill it, I can switch... but wasn't counting the turns that this all happened.

Last edited:

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
....Does anyone know yet if Infestation's effect still applies when the user switches out? If so, it could be used pretty effectively to trap and remove counters, or promote setup for another teammate.

(...I feel like this has been said before...)
Yes it has... all partial trapping moves end once the user switches out (but they're still trapped for that turn). They also don't reset the turn counter if you use them again once an opponent is already trapped (so you can't keep an enemy permanently locked in).

Yes it has... all partial trapping moves end once the user switches out (but they're still trapped for that turn). They also don't reset the turn counter if you use them again once an opponent is already trapped (so you can't keep an enemy permanently locked in).
It makes logical sense for Clamp I suppose.

I just realized something, and unless this is already posted in the Wrap thread (if it exists, and a pun, oh joy), this could be important. You guys know how Grass types are no longer affected by powder and spore moves? Well, I looked at the type chart and remembered: Ghost types are immune to the effects of trapping moves this gen (the description implies that they still take damage from it, but that's not important). So trapping the opponents Ghost sweeper and stalling it to death won't cut it. Just wanted to throw that out there since I didn't see anyone else mention it.

Seems like at least 1 if not 2 layers of toxic spikes could be crucial since not every trapper can afford the 2 or 3 turns of setup for some of those sets before they can recover

1 set of Spikes and any trapping move should kill in 4 turns so there is no chance to drop the trap due to time restraints, probably not a good idea to lay down 2 until their spinner/defogger is dead.

but yeah i agree

Yeah personally im actually a fan of 1 layer for a few reasons but I wanted to cover my bases for the people who want the higher damage ramp up and I guess could be useful for trapping healers

Volcarona has been mentioned several times in this thread, but it already has access to Fire Spin. I see Serebii has Infestation listed as 100 accuracy and Fire Spin 85 (BP 20, 35 respectively). Is the higher accuracy the reason?

Hmm

I've been thinking of a Wrapping Dragonite set. Bear with me, I know it's not infestation but there is no thread for binding moves.

Currently I'm looking at

Wrappingnite @ Leftovers
Multiscale
Careful Nature (+SpD / -SpA)
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Wrap
Toxic
Roost
Protect/Dragon Claw

If I can factor in Toxic Spikes, I can forgo Toxic and run Protect and Dragon Claw together. This leaves me unable to trap ghosts, completely walled by Klefki and Mawile and doing pitiful damage with Dragon Claw, but a Toxic poisoned enemy will be dead in little time, cannot switch out and I can roost back to Multiscale range while also stalling with Protect. Once Pokebank opens, Wrap will be replaced by Whirlpool.

I still have a Dratini I'm training, but it seems to be viable if the obvious checks are taken care of.

Also, for Infestation, Goodra, Shuckle and Swalot seem to be the best abusers. Toxic Spikes is very important, otherwise you need to run Toxic on your trapper though.

Last edited:
Do trapping moves count as regular damaging moves for purposes of items like Assault Vest? If so I was going to try this set once we can transfer from B2/W2:

Garbodor@Assault Vest
252 atk/252 spdef
+spdef -spatk

Infestation
Drain Punch
Giga Drain/Gunk Shot
Explosion/Focus Blast

I also like that an assault vest Muk could run Infestation and Dig, the latter basically like a replacement for Protect while using the vest with a trapped opponent. Would all be pretty fun if you passed a leech seed to it, I think.

Last edited:
Do trapping moves count as regular damaging moves for purposes of items like Assault Vest? If so I was going to try this set once we can transfer from B2/W2:

Garbodor@Assault Vest
252 atk/252 spdef
+spdef -spatk

Infestation
Drain Punch
Giga Drain/Gunk Shot
Explosion/Focus Blast

I also like that an assault vest Muk could run Infestation and Dig, the latter basically like a replacement for Protect while using the vest with a trapped opponent. Would all be pretty fun if you passed a leech seed to it, I think.
Infestation is considered an attack, so yes, wearing an assault vest would not prevent you from using infestation.

Garbodor@Assault Vest
252 atk/252 spdef
+spdef -spatk

Infestation
Drain Punch
Giga Drain/Gunk Shot
Explosion/Focus Blast

Yeah, that's definitely not a bad idea. Cool stuff.

Stunfisk also learns Infestation with the TM; this could be very interesting especially in higher tiers, Stunfisk might also be one of the few Pokemon who can use this move as a niche, especially since Stunfisk is a Support Pokemon at heart:

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
EV's: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Bold / Calm
Ability: Static (Sand Veil, if Ubers)
- Toxic / Stealth Rock
- Infestation
- Thunderbolt / Discharge
- Protect / Yawn / Earth Power

Not sure if this was mentioned before but I just ran into an other effect of Infestation. Someone used it on my Mega Charizard Y after they went first in a battle. I already had a Fire Blast ready to go and when Charizard used it the Infestation blew up and caused me damage canceling the attack. They did this 2 more times actually almost knocking out my already half way gone Charizard before I finally beat that pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)