Move Infestation (and trapping moves in general)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infestation
Bug-type | Special Attack
20 base power | 35 PP | 100 acc
Effect: The target is infested and damaged for four to five turns. The target can't flee during this time.
Known Infestation Learners
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

A lot of interesting trapping sets have been listed, but for the sake of discussion, I'd like posters to consider the some of the following to think about and discuss more in-depth:

* Which Trapping sets are particularly viable in the current metagame?

* Which Pokemon are well-suited for running a Trapping set? (not just which ones CAN do it)

* How can trapping be used for team synergy or support?

* * * PLEASE NOTE: Wrap, Whirlpool, and Sand Tomb are NOT effective trapping moves, due to the numerous immunities to each present in the metagame (the same is true to a lesser extent with Fire Spin and Magma Storm).

Except in the case of very specific cases where these immunities are irrelevant, please refrain from discussing sets that rely on these moves, as they are NOT viable. The reason Infestation gets its own thread is because it is 100% acc and no Pokemon is immune to it.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Some decent trapping sets:

Jumpluff @ Leftovers
Jolly | Infiltrator | 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
- Infestation
- Sleep Powder
- U-Turn
- Encore / Memento

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Calm | Frisk | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef
- Infestation
- Will-O-Wisp / Night Shade
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Mew @ Leftovers
Timid | Synchronize | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Infestation
- Substitute
- Protect / Will-O-Wisp
- U-Turn / Super Fang

Last edited:
I haven't found any pokemon with enough bulk to abuse it. But there are a few potential users that come to mind. For instance, if Foretress manages to use it on something it walls, it can use the opportunity to set up. The butterflies can use it in the same vein to set up quiver dances, but sleep powder it probably a better choice.

Infestation's passive damage does not do more damage than Fire Spin, Sand Tomb, etc. However, the passive damage from these moves was buffed to 1/8 from 1/16 this gen, which is a pretty nice buff. I personally like Infestation a bit more than the other moves because it has 100% accuracy as well as the fact that nothing is immune to it. It has a lower BP than the other moves, but the initial BP really does not matter because you aren't really using the move for damage.

Anyways, Infestation could be a decent move on certain lure sets; the kind that is really good in certain situations but is generally a pretty mediocre option. I don't think it's really something we can talk about right now because we don't know which Pokemon have a certain counter they would want to trap and get rid of.

I really feel like Goodra, if anything, could pull this move off. It has the nice bulk to do it, while also having stuff to die while the opponent is stuck, like setting up Rain Dance or Toxic stalling.

If the passive damage is now 1/8 unboosted, what kind of damage will it do when Binding Band is equipeed? 1/4 would definitely be too high, but 3/16 or 1/5 puts the opponent on a very short timer, much shorter than toxic.

If the passive damage is now 1/8 unboosted, what kind of damage will it do when Binding Band is equipeed? 1/4 would definitely be too high, but 3/16 or 1/5 puts the opponent on a timer much shorter than toxic.
Hmm, I wondered this as well, maybe it will just increase it to 1/6 instead? And that + Toxic + Rain Dance + Rest makes Goodra all the more better to stall with.

Matezoide It does? Well, it could potentially become a viable staller as well, as I am assuming that Fairies will be very common for the first few months, with people hyping over them.

Does Volcarona get this? If so he could probably use it fairly well, but you'd lose coverage so it may not be worth it outside of a niche set.

Partial trapping moves deal 1/8th damage now? That's not bad. Explains why the rival's starter kept fucking me with residual damage.

We need Binding Band tested to see how much it boosts the trapping moves by. Imagine if it still doubles it. That's 1/4th damage a turn. Slap Protect on and you effectively guarantee 50% damage over two turns + the initial damage. Scary considering it is semi-typeless damage that ignores stats.

I think the most we can do right now is wait to see how the metagame unfolds. Trapping sets have worked really well in the past, staring at you Heatran, but it really boils down to who gets it and what the damage rolls play out as after testing. God this is going to be so much easier after we actually have an idea of who gets what.

Keep in mind, it wears off after a few turns, I believe its 5. And I tried stacking it with other damage over time moves but it didn't seem to stack. Still, it could be a powerful move if used correctly. I could see a leech seed/toxic/infestation combo working really well to wall something

Who needs that? Assuming, somehow, this thing manages to do 1 damage to something, that thing cannot heal, and it only lasts four turns (like on, say, a Blaziken), you just took HALF OF THEIR HEALTH OFF. As long as you live, they can't stop the damage. You don't NEED other types of residual damage, you can do pretty much anything in that time. Set up a sweeper! Finish knocking out their sweeper! (or failing that, set it into revenge kill range) Watch as their wall flails helplessly!

I didn't use trapping moves in the past because they didn't do enough to justify it. Sure, some moves were reasonably powerful at base (35 being "reasonable" is an issue, though. And I'm not counting Heatran, his move is special), but 1/16 base damage and/or a chance to miss is to little. But this, well, it may be weak up front, but it delivers in the turns afterwards. Anything reasonably bulky with this will have a field day using it.

Can Shuckle learn this, I wonder? Does it stack with other binding moves like Wrap? I think you can see where this is going.

Mew might be a decent user of infestation, considering he's very bulky and has a whole ton of supporting/stalling options. A set along the lines of taunt/wow/recovery/infestation could be interesting. You trade the ability to check certain fighting types for the ability to lure,trap and stall out would be counters like Heatran and espeon, thanks to infestation's extra damage. Actually, between burn damage and infestation damage, pokemon are loosing a whooping quarter of their health each turn letting Mew stall out things one-on-one much,much faster AND mew forces whatever switches in to try and beat him one-on-one because of infestation. IDK if it'll become a standard move or anything like that but it could make taunt-wow mew even scarier for defensive teams to fight.

Mew might be a decent user of infestation, considering he's very bulky and has a whole ton of supporting/stalling options. A set along the lines of taunt/wow/recovery/infestation could be interesting. You trade the ability to check certain fighting types for the ability to lure,trap and stall out would be counters like Heatran and espeon, thanks to infestation's extra damage. Actually, between burn damage and infestation damage, pokemon are loosing a whooping quarter of their health each turn letting Mew stall out things one-on-one much,much faster AND mew forces whatever switches in to try and beat him one-on-one because of infestation. IDK if it'll become a standard move or anything like that but it could make taunt-wow mew even scarier for defensive teams to fight.
Heatran can carry its own trapping Move and wouldn't Espeon win at a stalling game with Magic Bounce, Moonlight/Wish and Calm Mind? I do agree that Mew can tank, but i'll have to be very selective if it decides to tank at all. The metagame is filled with U-Turn spammers, many of who are happy to switch into Mew and U-Turn out of infestation. Speaking of which U-Turn, Volt Switch and Parting Shot counter infestation pretty handily don't they?

I love this set:
Swalot @ Black Sludge
252 SpD / 252 Def / 4 HP (Oh I don't need that YOU HAVE TO HAVE HP INVESTMANTAvhubilvkhbHI! Shit. I like running both so it isn't as weak on one side :3)
Calm Nature
Liquid Ooze (Eww, Leech Seed you scum)
- Infestation
- Toxic
- Yawn
- Protect

So amazing ;v;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)