SPOILERS! Indigo Disk Discussion

I never really questioned why the Loyal Three were after the masks — I just chalked it up to “greedy Pokémon covets thing,” as greedy Pokémon often do — but I’m surprised the “Never-Rotting Peach” thing never came up in the game. Seems like it’d have been pretty straightforward to just have the shopkeeper mention that. Give her a dialogue branch like “Why’s this place called Peachy’s?” under the usual buy / sell branches.

Something tells me you're not actually meant to feel much sympathy for Pecharunt

The whole thing feels kind of presented as a joke. Of COURSE it was doing it for love (of the couple it brainwashed because it wanted adoration), and companions (that it also subjugated and forced to do its will) and well i mean the loyal 3 HAD to fight back in self defense (after stealing the masks and also outnumbering the Buff But Otherwise Normal (?) Human)

I feel like this could have been a in-game thing somewhere, at least the part about Pecharunt and its "family" before it came to Kitakami. Enough to piece the story together even if in-game never tells it all in one.

Like maybe Peachy's or some book in the Academy Library tells the story about a Couple with a Child who loved to make Mochi or something, then disappeared one day to seek Treasure in a Faraway land. Once you connect it to the Loyal 3 from the Chain and Momotaro reference, the whole story is available to the player.

One interesting part of the story is that Munkidori is indicated to already be able to see into the near future...back when he was dumber than average for his species. What kind of awesome psychic powers does his kind already have?!?

I never expected them to release a video which details the backstory for Pecharunt and the Loyal Three. Really cool. That gives us the answer to why Pecharunt was after the masks. It didn't have any ill will towards Ogerpon or its trainer, it just wanted the masks, and then the Loyal Three ended up killing Ogerpon's trainer when they were trying to steal the masks. Turns out nobody was really evil in the end, which makes this a really sad story. Looking at it this way, it means that there's no real "antagonist" in the Teal Mask story either, just like for the main game story and the Indigo Disk. This makes ScaVio the first main series games to not have any antagonists at all. Which is really cool. Though, I guess it depends on how you look at it. I do personally not consider AI Turo/Sada or Kieran to be antagonists, but other people might do.

As for the story not being mentioned anywhere in the games, I don't mind. I actually prefer them doing it this way since it makes things way more mysterious.

I never expected them to release a video which details the backstory for Pecharunt and the Loyal Three. Really cool. That gives us the answer to why Pecharunt was after the masks. It didn't have any ill will towards Ogerpon or its trainer, it just wanted the masks, and then the Loyal Three ended up killing Ogerpon's trainer when they were trying to steal the masks. Turns out nobody was really evil in the end, which makes this a really sad story. Looking at it this way, it means that there's no real "antagonist" in the Teal Mask story either, just like for the main game story and the Indigo Disk. This makes ScaVio the first main series games to not have any antagonists at all. Which is really cool. Though, I guess it depends on how you look at it. I do personally not consider AI Turo/Sada or Kieran to be antagonists, but other people might do.

As for the story not being mentioned anywhere in the games, I don't mind. I actually prefer them doing it this way since it makes things way more mysterious.
I disagree about the Loyal 3 because as soon as they wake up again in the Teal Mask present, they run off to take the masks and beat up Ogerpon again (considering she's clearly distressed when you arrive but they didn't take the mask and leave either before you arrive), which isn't exactly moral even if the first fight was under mind control.

I disagree about the Loyal 3 because as soon as they wake up again in the Teal Mask present, they run off to take the masks and beat up Ogerpon again (considering she's clearly distressed when you arrive but they didn't take the mask and leave either before you arrive), which isn't exactly moral even if the first fight was under mind control.
Yeah the way the Mochi works basically comes in 2 flavors:
-outright mind control: this can be enacted at any time but is not necessarily the default. We see this with the town's folk, some had delays on it others had their will subjugated instantly and Pecharunt dragged them all to the shrine later on
-you're left alone but you're just probably more of an asshole than you were to begin with: we see this with the old couple, but this is also probably what happened with the Loyal 3. All of them had issues, Pecharunt solved them, they're indebted.

Pecharunt might have sent them up there but they're still just kind of jerks. Not like Pecharunt ordered them to kill the guy, and they probably went up there following Pecharunt's orders under their own will.

Also if we're splitting hairs, while I think people do get a bit up in arms over "villain" labels, "antagonist" is more of a neutral umbrella term. Characters like Team Star and Kieren do fall under that: they're being jerks who are opposing the protagonist on their own grounds. It's ultimately not that big of a deal (team star's just harranging people, Kieren is being more outwardly antagonistic to everyone around him), but it's still not an inaccurate assessment.
Characters like Nemona, probably less so. She's your rival, but every battle is on even terms and she's not actively opposing anything you're doing.
Carmine actually is antagonistic to you at the start of teal mask, as a character trait.
Something like Clavell trying to stop you from fighting Casseopia probably would count as antagonistic behavior as well, even despite his good intentions. It's just how the term works.

The AI probably wouldn't count at all, imo, the actual antagonist of that section is arguably the og professor Time Machine itself. The AI just has to fight you because of the stupid protocols and until the protocol starts up it's 2 people on agreeable terms trying to stop the thing.

Last edited:
The term "Antagonist" primarily concerns if they oppose the goals of whoever is the center of a story being discussed (narrative or just relaying an anecdote), without a strictly villainous connotation. In SV terms, the Antagonist of Starfall Street is Team Star, since their goals lead them to act in direct opposition to what you are trying to accomplish, even though there's no mal-intent behind their decisions. Same to the OG professor, post-humous or otherwise, in The Way Home since their goals directly contradict your own in shutting down the Time Machine that is spitting out Paradox Pokemon, whether from Hubris or genuine indifference to the damage it'll cause.

The Loyal 3 are villains as well as antagonists because given free will, they take actions that are harmful to others for their own benefit with what is depicted as the intelligence to understand what they're doing (given they seem to huddle up and discuss things, or make complex decisions like feigning good will to get Mochi for strength).

I mean she did beat them to death, I imagine they're a little upset about that.

I mean she did beat them to death, I imagine they're a little upset about that.
After they stole her stuff and G-rated-Murdered literally her only friend, not exactly like she instigated the fight. Based on what we see of the Mochi Mayhem victims, they either remember acting on Pecharunt's orders and thus starting the fiasco, or they don't remember anything after becoming thralls and wouldn't know Ogerpon even came after and killed them.

Saw the video just now and I am sharing the opinion of "this really should have been in the game and not a separate YouTube segment". As my feelings on knowing Pecharunt's motives, I'll just sum it up with this classic image.

1705352358294.png

If anything, I'll applaud the animation quality. But really, it feels like this just adds salt to the wound of how this Epilogue was handled to me. I still haven't said my thoughts on the DLC let alone this epilogue bc I am tongue-tied in general but my overall feel is that the video just soured how I felt to the epilogue more than anything.

The Pechurant video is pretty good. Comes across as a legend, with a decent amount of room for interpretation. Does feel a bit lacking in substance though.

The fact that this story isn't told on-game is fine. The video gives good enough lore & backstory. I think it would have been difficult to staple it in the main game's plot.

I am hoping future games handle mythical like this, rather than just unceremoniously dropping them in the game.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
The fact that this story isn't told on-game is fine. The video gives good enough lore & backstory. I think it would have been difficult to staple it in the main game's plot.
Eh, I'm not that sure about that, the epilogue while fun was rather short, and just having someone connect the clues (maybe add a few more) and show it in a similar way as the Ogerpon backstory could have been an easy way to expand it a bit, and that way this story doesn't get lost on their youtube/twitter after a week.
Like yeah, no one in town knew about Pecharunt before this, but the game gives enough clues to make most of it, just have the owner of the store add some more details after everything is resolved, just say something like "my uncle had a Pokémon that looked just like it and told me this, that's why I used it as decoration" or something.
There isn't much plot ingame for this to interrupt anyway, you catch it and we skip forward to the kids going back to Paldea, there is time for something to happen in between.

Thankfully we resolved the cycle of murder-based-violence by capturing everyone involved and telling them to chill
by capturing everyone involved and make them fight each other until exhaustion multiple times until being thrown into a cross dimensional jail (aka pokemon Home) for time being, unable to be freed, forever bound to our will.

Honestly I think death was a better ending for them :bellipog:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)