Social If you could tell your younger self something what would would it be?

Please just brush and floss your god damn teeth. You will recover from bad relationships, bad purchases, and bad hangovers but teeth do not grow back and the dentist is so expensive.
Fun fact: your smile is usually the first facial impression people notice. It doesn't matter how great your eyes, skin, hair, jawline or other facial features, if you have bad breath and decaying rotten teeth it's an immediate turn off to others. Shocking

- Tell Nathan that he's a great guy.

- Drink water, jesus, 10-20 ounces a day ain't gonna cut it

- Don't let the racism slide. Stopping Asian hate starts with combatting it, and doing nothing, well, does nothing.

- You have a bit of an ego problem. It's gonna stay that way, I just want to let you know.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
you are not gonna stop going on a competitive pokemon forum when you turn 16 just because you're "too old" for it. You're gonna spend your formative years on it and it will forever shape who you are

oh and take up tennis/bouldering sooner, you like them a lot and exercise is very good for your health

and sugar is really bad for you

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it's okay to fail without learning too

sometimes you just lose. sometimes there wasn't much to learn from bc it was mostly out of your control, or sometimes you just aren't able to get anything, but more importantly, maybe you just do not want to. just like being an esteemable person doesn't mean winning all the time, it doesn't mean learning all the time either, or making the 'wise mature choice' every time

learning from failure is a good thing, but it shouldn't come as an obligation as penace for the 'sin' of failing, especially because failing isn't some kind of black mark on who you are

sneakily, these are things i could have stood to tell my younger self

it's okay to fail without learning too

sometimes you just lose. sometimes there wasn't much to learn from bc it was mostly out of your control, or sometimes you just aren't able to get anything, but more importantly, maybe you just do not want to. just like being an esteemable person doesn't mean winning all the time, it doesn't mean learning all the time either, or making the 'wise mature choice' every time

learning from failure is a good thing, but it shouldn't come as an obligation as penace for the 'sin' of failing, especially because failing isn't some kind of black mark on who you are

sneakily, these are things i could have stood to tell my younger self
I don’t wanna turn it to a debate but can you provide an example where you don’t learn from failure? Or maybe why it’s ok to not learn from it?

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it's okay to not succeed at everything, and "learning from failure" is a type of success. it's okay to fail, and "not learning from failure" is a type of failure.

maybe the failure's too painful to think about, or maybe you have 500 deadlines to meet and learning from the failure can't be a priority. also just, well, our failures are infinite and there isn't enough time in the day to learn from them all. and failure tends to provoke unconscious change in complicated ways, regardless of conscious effort, anyways. more importantly, though, there doesn't have to be a reason why you didn't learn, or why you failed more broadly. there never has to be.

if one thinks there must be an excuse or an atonement for every failure, whether for "direct failure" or for a failure to learn from failure, one may stop thinking of themselves as a fallible human but instead as some creature of goodness that isn't working properly. one that is fundamentally wrong and aberrant in their existence. i've been there before.

self-analysis and improving one's behavior are, of course, often good and healthy. but they are best when done with the right eyes, seeing and taking joy in the truth of fallible humanity that one is. if they come from a perspective that the omnipresent act of failure is only acceptable when the proper ritual has been conducted, they can lead to a trap of constant toil where one's self is never enough.

personal growth is beautiful, but it's also a messy process that is macro rather than micro. it's never "optimal," because that implies a faultless growth, and faultlessness implies inhumanity. having one unanalyzed failure, or multiple, or three dozen, doesn't mean you aren't growing. there's a billion possible ways for you to grow. you could choose these unanalyzed failures, or you could choose something else. that's okay, because the goal is growth, not perfection.

sneakily, this is also what i could have stood to tell my younger self

it's okay to not succeed at everything, and "learning from failure" is a type of success. it's okay to fail, and "not learning from failure" is a type of failure.

maybe the failure's too painful to think about, or maybe you have 500 deadlines to meet and learning from the failure can't be a priority. also just, well, our failures are infinite and there isn't enough time in the day to learn from them all. and failure tends to provoke unconscious change in complicated ways, regardless of conscious effort, anyways. more importantly, though, there doesn't have to be a reason why you didn't learn, or why you failed more broadly. there never has to be.

if one thinks there must be an excuse or an atonement for every failure, whether for "direct failure" or for a failure to learn from failure, one may stop thinking of themselves as a fallible human but instead as some creature of goodness that isn't working properly. one that is fundamentally wrong and aberrant in their existence. i've been there before.

self-analysis and improving one's behavior are, of course, often good and healthy. but they are best when done with the right eyes, seeing and taking joy in the truth of fallible humanity that one is. if they come from a perspective that the omnipresent act of failure is only acceptable when the proper ritual has been conducted, they can lead to a trap of constant toil where one's self is never enough.

personal growth is beautiful, but it's also a messy process that is macro rather than micro. it's never "optimal," because that implies a faultless growth, and faultlessness implies inhumanity. having one unanalyzed failure, or multiple, or three dozen, doesn't mean you aren't growing. there's a billion possible ways for you to grow. you could choose these unanalyzed failures, or you could choose something else. that's okay, because the goal is growth, not perfection.

sneakily, this is also what i could have stood to tell my younger self
Failure can be painful yes but within that failure one gather from that what approach they will not take if they were to attempt it again. If you fail something you try again and you fail still the first time you acknowledged you done something wrong. I’m well aware people don’t have to learn as they can chose not to but that doesn’t mean they should not have to even if the situation is unfavorable. Even if you fail no matter how many times one will find resilience within failure. Many experiences in life people can learn something from failed relationships, low grades, mistakes/failures they made , you can even learn from others mistakes/failures such as ones parents or friends. You won’t learn everything at one time cause we are human but that’s the beauty of life you learn something new everyday whether it’s involuntary or not. It’s okay to fail but key is to maintain the hunger to make yourself better mentally,physically and emotionally and when you learn you do just that.Failures teach us flexibility, adaptability, and how to overcome obstacles.
Failure is a valuable learning experience

This has been something I've learned to embrace. Having this knowledge can help you make better decisions in the future and avoid making the same mistakes again. The more you fail, the more you learn, and the better equipped you become to deal with challenges in the future. Thanks for sharing your point but that’s how I feel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)