Social If you could tell your younger self something what would would it be?

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Aside from the obvious investment facts to make $TEXAS, I'd like to tell myself to actually pick up and practice violin in school instead. Sure is a lot harder to get going when you get older.

Start going to the gym sooner and don't waste time on things you can't control - particularly in politics, current affairs, relationships and feelings of people that hardly matter in your life anyway etc.

Edit: also acknowledge that literally everyone is only human and stop putting people you think you really look up to and idolise so high on pedestals because once a scandal breaks out or if for whatever reason they disappoint and don't meet up to your expectations, it hits like a meteor.

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I can think of a few oddly specific things.

• Beg your parents to actually have access to the Internet before May 20, 2014 so you can have access to Nintendo WFC before it shuts down, for the sole purpose of playing Mario Kart Wii because Nintendo made the incredibly stupid decision to make Mario Kart Wii's answer to Mission Mode a limited-time feature.
  • Don't listen to your high school friends when they start trashing on you out of nowhere during a Discord call one day in 2021 for thinking you might have feelings for an old high school friend. (She would later end up moving away regardless and I haven't heard from her since outside of a random conversation with a relative we ran into at the gas station.)
  • Remind yourself how the word "grey" is actually spelled prior to competing in the 7th-8th grade Spelling Bee competition. A for America, E for England. (I would end up being able to spell every word in the competition after this correctly from within the audience.)

Edit: I'm going to add something to this since it just occurred to me while I was writing a post for a different thread. While we're on the subject of my 7th-8th grade years, this lesson is especially important for Young bdt2002.

Do not, under any circumstances, let your teammates or your coach ever convince you that you're bad at soccer. You (younger me) should still be nice to them because they're great friends and great people, of course, but in the off chance you feel like you're not contributing to the team during either of these two seasons because you can't score and you absolutely can't run a mile to save your life... just remember that you're the same one that ended up being the only one able to actually score any goals when all was said and done.

Last edited:
- learn to focus on the issues that affect you and matter in your daily life before it is too late
- go back before the eshop closure and pillage your mom's credit card for some eshop balance [once i actually find out how to figure the shit out lol]
- get back into roblox before february 2023

ask for what you need. people are always willing to help.

the right people will come into your life when you need them. listen to your spirit when you meet someone new.

all new connections are a chance to learn more about yourself. intimacies do not need to be permanent. love and expand with each encounter.

go outside more. go on walks, explore trails. be in nature.

you are so much more than this shitty town. you will find greener pastures. there is so much of this world to explore.

show love to your friends. they are and always will be your lifeline. cook for them. surprise them. do the most for them.

there is nothing wrong with your queerness. you are a smart and cool motherfucker. own it.

dress how you want. buy lots of versatile neutrals. paint your nails. curate your life differently than everyone else.

learn to set boundaries with your parents and peers. you are allowed to say no, express discomfort, and self-advocate.

keep your lips sealed, especially with other peoples' intimacies. the small thrill of gossip is never worth it.

read for pleasure. it will enhance your life, even if it seems terrible now. engage with james baldwin, claudia rankine, ursula k le guin, and karl marx especially. they will shift how you view the world for the better.

develop lasting hobbies. you will feel like you have missed out on so much later in life if you don't start now.

ask for what you need. people are always willing to help.

the right people will come into your life when you need them. listen to your spirit when you meet someone new.

all new connections are a chance to learn more about yourself. intimacies do not need to be permanent. love and expand with each encounter.

go outside more. go on walks, explore trails. be in nature.

you are so much more than this shitty town. you will find greener pastures. there is so much of this world to explore.

show love to your friends. they are and always will be your lifeline. cook for them. surprise them. do the most for them.

there is nothing wrong with your queerness. you are a smart and cool motherfucker. own it.

dress how you want. buy lots of versatile neutrals. paint your nails. curate your life differently than everyone else.

learn to set boundaries with your parents and peers. you are allowed to say no, express discomfort, and self-advocate.

keep your lips sealed, especially with other peoples' intimacies. the small thrill of gossip is never worth it.

read for pleasure. it will enhance your life, even if it seems terrible now. engage with james baldwin, claudia rankine, ursula k le guin, and karl marx especially. they will shift how you view the world for the better.

develop lasting hobbies. you will feel like you have missed out on so much later in life if you don't start now.
Deep

scorbunnys

Don't dream your life, but live your dream. #Bunny
- stop crying and focus on all the stuff life brings and focus on your responsabilities as well, it'll be worth it.
- try to learn as much as you can from everything, but don't force yourself to either.
- if someone is mean to you / bullies you, then stand your ground instead of crying on their face.
- learn to let go and to not sorround yourself with toxic people.
- don't be ashamed of who you are and try to be yourself (sounds easier said than done but it'll be worth it).
- don't trashtalk people on their backs, they'll eventually figure out and even if they don't, it still sucks because u don't want to be trashtalked either.
- hang out with people you feel comfortable with.
- buy everything you need, not everything you want.
- remember how to spell the alphabet before 2nd/3rd grade.

- stop crying and focus on all the stuff life brings and focus on your responsabilities as well, it'll be worth it.
- try to learn as much as you can from everything, but don't force yourself to either.
- if someone is mean to you / bullies you, then stand your ground instead of crying on their face.
- learn to let go and to not sorround yourself with toxic people.
- don't be ashamed of who you are and try to be yourself (sounds easier said than done but it'll be worth it).
- don't trashtalk people on their backs, they'll eventually figure out and even if they don't, it still sucks because u don't want to be trashtalked either.
- hang out with people you feel comfortable with.
- buy everything you need, not everything you want.
- remember how to spell the alphabet before 2nd/3rd grade.
Keep your head up bro positive vibes !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)