SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
totodile should evolve all the way to Feraligatr but keep the dance gimmick
And Gible/Garchomp would keep randomly biting things, Scraggy/Scrafty would still keep dropping its pants, & Oshawott/Samurott keeps dropping its weapon(s) when it draws it/them. Rowlet/Decidueye would go from sleeping to being deep in thought.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ash's Scraggy should absolutely evolve for three reasons:

1. Its "big brother", Iris's Axew, has evolved all the way to Haxorus as we know know. It should follow suit especially if it ever reunites with its old "big bro", those two were the babies back then but were super close, they had a brotherly bond.
2. Scraggy is, thus far, the only one of Ash's Pokémon that hatched from an egg that has yet to evolve. Ash's Phanpy is now a Donphan, Ash's Noibat is now a Noivern. Ash's Riolu is now a Lucario. It's only natural that Scraggy should follow suit and do the same.
3. The third reason is obvious. Just read my username. That more than says enough. Ash will truly be the best if his Scraggy evolves for that very reason.

Simply put, Ash's Scraggy must evolve. There is no other choice.

Looking at the preview I really do think Misty feels her most lively and best here and in SM since the original Kanto season. Why couldn't she be like this in Johto?

Instead in Johto the writers forgot what her personality was and just had her hold Togepi and stand in the background for most eps just repeating his dialogue. The pic attached below is what she was remembered for 80% of that season.

Attachments

Looking at the preview I really do think Misty feels her most lively and best here and in SM since the original Kanto season. Why couldn't she be like this in Johto?

Instead in Johto the writers forgot what her personality was and just had her hold Togepi and stand in the background for most eps just repeating his dialogue. The pic attached below is what she was remembered for 80% of that season.
I agree. I had a similar problem with Brock since he returned. The most unbearable was him in Sinnoh (cooks, gets punished by his frog and infodumbs basic shit everyone in the show should understand without him) and since then I hoped he will leave the group since I was tired of seeing Brock as much as Team Rocket each Episode.
SM did a lot of things right in that regard.

Also absence makes the heart grow fonder. Not seeing characters in awhile makes them feel less "stale" and they feel enjoyable when they come back. It really has been over 12 years since Brock left the cast back in 2010, he stayed for so long but it's ironic that he's now been gone even longer than Misty was from the end of Johto to the end of DP when he left.

The passage of time is a funny thing, the show has gone on so long now that in retrospect the first 10 years of the anime or so are a relatively short time when originally that was basically "the entire series" when we were in the early/middle 2000's.

Can't say much about SM but I agree about anime Togepi just feeling like a prop for Misty to take care, and it felt very tiresome that no one questions its power and constantly treat it as baby up until her brief return in Hoenn. Misty in general was starting to feel rusty in Johto imo, but I liked her role in Hoenn: she seemed more mature thanks that she's a leader now, and emphatized with Max and May sibling rivalry.

Also speaking of her, it's a massive wasted opportunity that she returned for Gens 3 and 7, the same gens that introduced the only Bug/Water pokemon, and do NOTHING WITH THIS.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Man, Corphish stole the show this week, it got the most screen time so far in those two episodes, everyone else in Ash team was a background character this time, so kind of hurts for anyone that wanted to see the others in action, but not like the mons from last week did much.
Very fun episode overall, very well written and full of gags and some nice references, the lure scene was my favorite.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Today's episode was an absolute blast, it was great seeing Misty here.

While these episodes don't have anything big going on, I gotta say that the banter between Ash and Misty here is truly unmatched and I love it. Reminds me a lot of the Kanto OS days except obviously Ash and Misty are closer than they were back in early OS. Gotta love that whole vitriolic friendship going on between them, seeing Ash and Misty throw shade at each other was a delight.

Misty and Ash have such a hilarious and fun dynamic and I loved seeing it in full here.

In general these episodes of the MPM chapter have been oozing with soul when it comes to the characters. Ash has some of his old sass back and even in the first episode we see Ash and Pikachu having banter like old times.

Next episode is Ash and Misty reuniting with the good ol' third wheel of their original group, Brock, who also happens to be with Cilan, whom Misty will be meeting for the first time.

Ash, Misty, and Brock together are the OG trio and Brock is awesome, so he'll be a blast to watch I'm sure. But with Cilan in the mix we're in for even more hilarity: Cilan and Brock are both hilarious and awesome in their own ways and they will be a peak comedy duo. Can't wait!

Liked the episode but disappointed by the lack of Tototile doing anything. He was the blandest in this episode not even doing his iconic dance. This is why I wanted him to evolve because there is no point in his dancing joke thingy. Wasted completely to a cameo.

Also Misty is a lot more expressive since Sun and Moon season. Not sure if I am comfortable with her character since she arcs way more cute and a bit too... how should I describe it overly friendly perhaps?

Next episode we get both Cilan and Brock. I am glad they aren't just bringing Brock back because I feel Brock really got flanderized in Diamond and Pearl season.

Cilan asked Misty what she would think of bug pokemon that are also water types like Dewspider, and she said she wasn't sure, heh. Hatterene hypnotizing Brock felt like a classic series pokemon plot where the Pokemon actually caused trouble or harm to the humans and the gang had to solve a problem, very similar to the type of plots from the early seasons. Well that is it for Cilan, but at least they managed to squeeze him in before the end since he didn't get a cameo while Journey's was going on.

New Episode was nice to see. Latias is going to report her elder brother about her adventures it appears.
Next Episode we will see Oshawott, Inciniroar and Talonflame for a change. Neat.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
The recent episode was pretty simple but as usual it was pretty fun, felt like a good ol' OS episode in a good way.

It was nice getting to see Incineroar in action since we *never* got that after Torracat evolved. Ash helping out a Beartic to control its powers was cool and a great reflection of his best qualities as a character, his undying love for Pokemon and his unwavering belief in others to bring out the best in them.

Next week will be starring the Squirtle squad and the OG gang reunion, that'll be fun.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So this final "season" is only 11 episodes yet they still feel they needed to add a random filler? Couldn't think of anything else, something fans might have liked to see before putting the end to Ash's journey?

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
So this final "season" is only 11 episodes yet they still feel they needed to add a random filler? Couldn't think of anything else, something fans might have liked to see before putting the end to Ash's journey?
It was a good episode even if it didn't have a returning human character like the last few, it was well written and showed how much Ash has matured, being able to quickly recognize a Pokémon in trouble and using what he has learned to solve the problem, it also give Oshawott, Talonflame and Incineraor quite a lot of screen time.
There is no actual goal now so all episodes can be considered filler, that doesn't make them bad.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the big battles are over when the Masters 8 concluded so I don't expect any in these except maybe something in the final ep or so? These eps of Ash helping wild Pokemon and reuniting with his old ones gives you the impression the theme it's going for is Ash already realizing he's a Pokemon Master rather than it being any official title he needs to achieve. It goes back to the core themes of the anime since the first season, basically Ash going on adventures and even helping wild Pokemon he doesn't own.

4 out of 11 episodes in, and I'l try to write down my thoughts and disappointments...

I liked the two first episodes. The 1st one while not much happens, it sets up the final batch of episodes with Ash using multiple of his mons from different regions, Team Rocket shenaningans and helping out a Latias, who's going to be a recurring mon. Not sure what to think about the possibility of Ash catching it atm...2nd episode, Misty returns and we get fun interactions with her and Ash plus a solid battle between the now veteran trainers. The new Clauncher Misty caught was fun too with his interactions with Corphish, and I hope we see more of him in later eps.

Then comes the 3rd episode, Brock and Cilan return and they were pretty iffy. Brock having to endure another heartbreak with another girl and getting possesed for most of the episode, and Cilan...boy did they tried to go for the Best Wishes fanservice and while I don't hate him, all they did was reminding me how much I hated "stating the obvi-I mean "Evaluation/Detective time". Some fun interactions then and there like the Misty Water/Bug dilemma, but it kept getting interrupted by these two showing their most annoying traits. Sucks for Cilan specially bc he leaves at the end of the episode and we don't know if we'll see him again.

And Ep 4? Yeah I didn't like it, it reminded how same-y the anime got for me which is why I struggled to keep following it before dropping it. Ash helping out a wild Pokemon in need, they solve their problem, say goodbye, "TO BE CONTINUED", I already watched this episode several times before. Misty and Brock don't even participate much and neither does Team Rocket (btw reminder that it's very likely that this is TR's last moments as well), and Ash isn't compelling or interesting enough to carry an episode for me.

I know some fans are disappointed so far bc of being the last time we'll see Ash and we don't know what is the objective here, if he's becoming Pokemon Master (although the fault here is on that goal being vague af), and it's centered on a slice of life direction so far. I don't mind these issues as much, I'm mostly watching bc they're just 11 eps so it won't take much of me and bc it's Ash's goodbye, still can't believe it happened. Nostalgia-wise, I'm pretty numb to it, like with most stuff. At least next episode's plot seems more interesting.

I feel like the episodes themselves are meant to be clear indications of what a Pokémon Master is, and that it is a broad term regardless.

Episode 1 saw Ash selflessly save a Pokémon in trouble, a Legendary Pokémon no doubt, who very much did not want to be around humans. Despite that Ash put himself on the line without thinking and was able to save it - thus gaining some form of trust with a Legendary Pokémon - this isn't something new to the anime but it probably is one of the more outstanding criteria for being a Master. Being able to bond with even the most untrusting Pokémon. This is something that is done in movies quite often, but as the movie canon is shaky and always seems to be overly heightened, I prefer seeing them in the anime.

Episode 2 is probably where I find it to be a bit of a reach, although it was solely to reintroduce Misty and so on, I do feel that Misty beating Ash to catch a water-type Pokémon that she very much wanted was intended to teach Ash that even though he's the PWC he cannot win every battle (Even a human to human battle over a Pokémon) and that sometimes a certain Pokémon belongs with a certain trainer. Taking a sea dwelling water type away from an aspiring Water-type master is something Ash had to learn couldn't happen, no matter how good his standing in the ranked community is. Again, it probably is a bit of a reach, and was just meant to be light hearted but it was a subtle message, I feel.

Episode 3 showed Ash selflessly defending his friends and wild, random Pokémon (Again) - Going out of his way to help find Brock, calm down the wild Hatterene and also protecting the Hatenna. This episode could have been a little more interesting and diverse, seeing Brock/Misty again is great and introducing a new dynamic through Cilan is also great - but it was disappointing not to see Ash use any reserves. But again, I do think it adds to the overall Pokémon Master development.

And finally episode 4 is very similar to 1 and 3 in terms of Master development, but it showed Ash actively working together with a willing wild Pokémon - showing he can convey his trust over quite well and help Pokémon master their skills and abilities very quickly, all whilst working together with his Pokémon and companions.

As I said, I do think some points are a reach, but I think the aim of this series is to subtlety show the audience that whilst the criteria to become a Pokémon Master is so broad (and vague) that Ash is able to meet and exceed it when it is laid out. The episodes do come across as filler, but I think that's generally because there is no bigger goal. It's more so Ash learning what it is he needs to do in order to reach his goal. But the "filler" episodes, are high class filler episodes.

After Journeys it's nice to just see Ash travelling with companions again using his reserves, I think there was no better way of having it end. Having a mini-series full of high intense battles would feel pointless, because how would it be deemed who takes priority? There are a lot of people Ash has lost to, some unjust, some not, but an 11 episode series cannot fit them all in. And TPC seem eager to have everything (Merch, anime, TCG, games) all sync up. A major misstep was not having a Galar saga, as a lot of characters from the games felt flat and weren't able to come alive in the anime.

I do have a small theory that Ash will doubt what makes a Master, we haven't had that scene from Gary yet from the initial preview where he's questioning Ash's motives - I do think that will lead to some minor-doubt which will end in Latias being caught in front of everyone in the final episode (I do think the final episode will be all companions at Oak's ranch where Latias shows itself again)

Latias has been following Ash since Episode 1, and it is v obviously foreshadowing a capture.

Double post but here are the upcoming episode titles after EP5;

Episode 6 - And We're Looking at the Same Moon!
Features Ash and Pikachu being separated by Team Rocket

Episode 7 - Riding on Laplace
Ash's Lapras returns, plot is Lapras asks Ash for help to save a Wailmer

Episode 8 - Jupetta's Search!!
Episode about a Banette, no official synopsis yet

Episode 9 - Team Rocket Strikes Back!
No synopsis yet

Promo for next week - there doesn't seem to be any reserves being used, but we'll see - one would think it would feature a regional bird for a classic "search" trope but alas.

Seems to echo some familiar OG episodes like Bound for Trouble and the Pikachu/Caterpie scene staring at the moon.

also please someone else post i can't keep posting consecutively :zonger:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)