SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Am I the only one that remembers that we got a brief glimpse of Ash's dad in a flashback in a Gen IV episode? Season 12 Episode 33. I was not watching the anime at that point myself(I dropped early Gen III), but I do remember the picture of Ash's dad petting a Rapidash making the rounds. I found the picture but for some reason the site isn't letting me put it into my post.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
At this point they might as well make Ash's dad:
I mean we've heard as much from Ash's dad as it's implied as much as Red speaks.

Let's be honest, Red would totally be an absentee parent. Lest we forget he left to be on Mt. Silver for 3 years and never let his mom know where he was.

Am I the only one that remembers that we got a brief glimpse of Ash's dad in a flashback in a Gen IV episode? Season 12 Episode 33. I was not watching the anime at that point myself(I dropped early Gen III), but I do remember the picture of Ash's dad petting a Rapidash making the rounds. I found the picture but for some reason the site isn't letting me put it into my post.

It's not said to be his dad. The context is he's just watching some guy & his Rapidash and he's like "i can't wait to be a Pokemon Trainer", to equate to the COTD kid who loves pokemon and also can't wait and loves meeting new Pokemon (like Ash's Pikachu, or a wild Heracross he lured over with honey)

I'm guessing that it was being passed around when people first saw it after the episode came out and were making assumptions.

So since Misty/Brock are apparently in these last 11 episodes (at least as far as we know right now), I honestly wonder if they'll get any major focus toward themselves, or if they'll essentially just "be there" similar to the way they were in Johto and not really be much more than support characters. Remember we also saw Misty/Brock return just the previous series in Sun/Moon, where they had Mega Evo battles and then just met the Alola cast and didn't do much else. Brock flirted with Olivia, Misty went surfing with Lana, but nothing really important happened in that second cameo back in 2018.

I guess the writers wanted to end the series full circle with Misty/Brock being back for the end (as opposed to Ash either being alone, or Go still being around), but I think a lot of people are wrongly assuming they'll get a lot focus. I guarantee they'll be handled the same way as they were in Johto for the most part, largely treated as support characters, get the occasional battle to justify them being around, but not really much else.

Misty will likely retain her role as Cerulean Gym leader, we already saw Brock doing doctor stuff in the Arceus specials, so there's really no further way to progress their characters at this point.

So since Misty/Brock are apparently in these last 11 episodes (at least as far as we know right now), I honestly wonder if they'll get any major focus toward themselves, or if they'll essentially just "be there" similar to the way they were in Johto and not really be much more than support characters. Remember we also saw Misty/Brock return just the previous series in Sun/Moon, where they had Mega Evo battles and then just met the Alola cast and didn't do much else. Brock flirted with Olivia, Misty went surfing with Lana, but nothing really important happened in that second cameo back in 2018.

I guess the writers wanted to end the series full circle with Misty/Brock being back for the end (as opposed to Ash either being alone, or Go still being around), but I think a lot of people are wrongly assuming they'll get a lot focus. I guarantee they'll be handled the same way as they were in Johto for the most part, largely treated as support characters, get the occasional battle to justify them being around, but not really much else.

Misty will likely retain her role as Cerulean Gym leader, we already saw Brock doing doctor stuff in the Arceus specials, so there's really no further way to progress their characters at this point.
That's pretty much it - Misty and Brock's character arcs are pretty much done with. Misty learned to be more relaxed, work with Gyarados, become a fully realised Gym Leader and have more self-confidence and live her own life, rather than the shadow of her sisters. It would be cool to see her properly battle more, just to see other Pokémon she may have got so far.

Brock is in the same boat, but probably had a more smoother approach to his overall dream. He's achieved it now, he's a 15 year old doctor! Sure, there's more places for them to go, but nothing that absolutely has to add to their character. They're definitely going to be there just for nostalgia sake.

That does ask another question though - what is the nature of Ash's journey this time around? Are we going through a particular region? Is it going to be like Journeys where they just use the Oak Ranch as their base and then go off to various places? Will Ash just take out random Pokémon with him each time (+ Pikachu obviously)

Some other thoughts about the upcoming episodes;
The 11 episode length is a bit worrying mainly because this has to wrap up not only Ash's entire arc, but the entire "universe" we've come to love over the last 25+ years. The new anime is probably taking place in the same universe, so it's not that big of a "deal", but it's not just Ash we're saying goodbye to.

His Pokémon, which are huge fan favourites, and were easily shafted during Journeys - will they get redemptions? Will we see any of them properly battle again? Will he meet up with Pidgeot again? (Butterfree reopened the door to this possibility)

Team Rocket - we'll be saying goodbye to these guys, and it's as sad as saying goodbye to Ash and Pikachu - what is their future?

Ash's Travel companions/other recurring characters? I assume Journeys was meant to wrap it up for them but some were more interesting than others.

I'm currently doing a rewatch, and I would actually like a Ritchie rematch. He was one of the only "rivals" he never got to best, even if it's not official or full, I think a proper return should be warranted.

To me all I really need out of these last 11 episodes is for some of Ash's older pokemon to get some kind of screentime (judging by the previews and poster they will), and then some closure for Team Rocket/Giovanni, with the writers finally disbanding TR and Jessie/James/Meowth getting some kind of ending. Which I'm pretty sure they will, TR have been on the anime for 25+ years like Ash was so I'm sure the writers will give them some kind of closure.

Other than that I'm sure Ash will see Ho-oh yet again in the last episode, bonus if he gets to battle/capture it this time. I also suspect the writers will show all of Ash's companions one last time in a montage if they don't show up in person, showing Dawn, May, etc. winning Grand Festivals, Iris as a Champion again, Clemont as a Gym leader, Cilan wandering around, the Alola cast, etc. We'll likely get one last closing montage showing what everyone else is doing.

I'm currently doing a rewatch, and I would actually like a Ritchie rematch. He was one of the only "rivals" he never got to best, even if it's not official or full, I think a proper return should be warranted.
What do you mean? Getting that win he was robbed of 2 decades ago was the finale to the tournament.

(To explain my dumb joke, Ritchie's Pikachu "Sparky", whom Ash lost to when Charizard refused to battle it, is nicknamed "Leon" in the Japanese script, which hilariously brings Ash's first League-level loss and his biggest official win down to a Leon 1v1 between Pikachu and Charizard, in which the latter loses to the former.)

Episode titles that we know of so far;

(Titles are loose translations I believe from Serebii)

Episode 1 - The Wind of Beginnings! The Eternal Road!!
Synopsis;
Satoshi and Pikachu continue their adventure, going wherever the wind blows, interacting with wild Pokémon they meet along the way, while the Rocket Gang plots to steal Pikachu... And that's how the days go on this neverending adventure. But one day while traveling through a forest, they encounter the legendary Pokémon Latias, injured...!

Episode 2 - Ash vs Misty! A One-on-One on the Beach!!
Synopsis;
As Satoshi and Pikachu continue their journey they reach the sea, where they encounter a wild Udeppou on the beach that Satoshi attempts to get. However, he's stopped by his former travelmate Kasumi! Both of them insist on getting the Udeppou themselves, so they decide to settle the matter with fishing, however...?!

Note - Udeppou = Clauncher
Kasumi = Misty

Episode 3 - Brock, Cilan and the Forest Witch!
Synopsis;
Satoshi and Pikachu reunite with their former travelmates Takeshi and Dent, though Takeshi seems to feel really down due to a fresh heartbreak... However, he's then suddenly abducted by a wild Brimuon...! Why did this happen?! And can Satoshi, Kasumi and Dent get him back?!

Note - Dent = Cilan
Brimuon = Hatterene

Episode 4 - Beartic's Sigh!
No synopsis yet

Episode 5 - Enter the Squirtle Squad!
No synopsis yet

--

Exciting that we're getting into it and they're really managing to bring back old companions/Pokémon and still managing to have them feel like genuine episodes. Episode 4 is a little worrying because it screams filler, but it probably relates to Iris. And that they're incorporating companions like Cilan into the Ash/Misty/Brock dynamic.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Episode 5 - Enter the Squirtle Squad!
No synopsis yet

--

Exciting that we're getting into it and they're really managing to bring back old companions/Pokémon and still managing to have them feel like genuine episodes. Episode 4 is a little worrying because it screams filler, but it probably relates to Iris. And that they're incorporating companions like Cilan into the Ash/Misty/Brock dynamic.
Calling it now, as the episodes go on Ash reunites with more of his past traveling companions until the final episode where they're all together to have a big party. Guessing episode 5 will be for May (and possibly Max) as she has a Wartortle they could fit into a Squritle Squad story.

At only 11 eps they're really not going to have enough episodes left to cover everything, I get the feeling some of the released pokemon (Pidgeot, Lapras, Butterfree, etc) will just be covered in brief montages. If Ambipom gets an episode it's very likely Dawn will be in that ep, and it'll probably be Dawn's final ep of the series.

There's without a doubt going to be one Kalos themed ep, Greninja/Goodra will likely be reunited the same way they were for the Kalos league. I dont' know if they'll make another Alola ep, the last one in Journey's felt pretty "final" so maybe his Alola pokes will get transfered to Oak's or something?

Other than that hopefully we get a TR conclusion ep, because it would be beyond dumb not to give the other characters who have been around 25+ years any closure

Honestly in terms of "closure" I am so curious to know what the actual closure of the series will even be. Pokemon Master is and has always been extremely vague, and the entire point of this is hypothetically not to just be an "Endless Adventure" but to become Pokemon Master and give Ash the finality but....even now its still just them shrugging their shoulders.

I don't even hate the idea of just being a cute 11 episode good bye to all the friends we made along the way before ending on "The adventure continues....forever!" but it's notttt exactly being presented as that, per say.

People kinda guessed this already on forums/twitter, the thing is Ash will realize he's already a Pokemon Master by the end of these eps as a self realization. Ash is world champion, saved the world countless times, met and befriended tons of Pokemon around the world, beat over 50+ Gym leaders, beat 4 champions, raised nearly 50 pokemon of his own, made tons of friends, etc.

He basically said it best:

Obviously in terms of prestige there's nothing above the regional Champions (and Leon was the top of all of them), and Pokemon Master obviously doesn't mean capturing every pokemon either (since Go tried to do that and was never considered to be one), so it'll just be Ash self realizing he already is one. In a way it fits the theme of the Pokemon anime since the very beginning, the whole show was basically about friendship between humans and Pokemon.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
People kinda guessed this already on forums/twitter, the thing is Ash will realize he's already a Pokemon Master by the end of these eps as a self realization. Ash is world champion, saved the world countless times, met and befriended tons of Pokemon around the world, beat over 50+ Gym leaders, beat 4 champions, raised nearly 50 pokemon of his own, made tons of friends, etc.

Obviously in terms of prestige there's nothing above the regional Champions (and Leon was the top of all of them), and Pokemon Master obviously doesn't mean capturing every pokemon either (since Go tried to do that and was never considered to be one), so it'll just be Ash self realizing he already is one. In a way it fits the theme of the Pokemon anime since the very beginning, the whole show was basically about friendship between humans and Pokemon.
This, basically. By the metric put forward in the original RBY, Ash became a Pokemon Master several years ago (once you beat Lance in RBY, he proclaims you a Pokemon Master) - he became the champion in Alola, so that's where his journey nominally ended.

But being the world's greatest trainer wasn't ever his explicit personal goal.

This is a topic change, but I've genuinely never understood why people make out like being a Pokemon master is something unknowable.

Quoting Bulbapedia's article on the matter:

Pokémon Master (Japanese: ポケモンマスター Pokémon Master) is a title in the Pokémon world. It is the goal of many Pokémon Trainers to become a Pokémon Master. However, exactly what this position is and how one attains it is vague and never fully explained.

In response to an email sent to its mailbag, Pokémon.com posted the following:

I get why the Pokemon Company would be reluctant to define it in such terms - it may be that the very fact that people were curious enough to ask made them decide "yeah, let's string this out." However, I’ve honestly never seen why it’s supposed to be such a mysterious and undefined goal.

The early anime does admittedly muddy the waters with Ash (and the narration) declaring that he will catch every Pokemon and thus become a Pokemon master. However, even back then it was always my interpretation that this is the metric by which Ash himself judges will make him a Pokemon master - it's not a concrete "obtain all 151 Pokemon and you're golden", otherwise any wealthy person could do it with relative ease, and Gary gets explicitly called out for catching over 100 Pokemon but not taking the time or effort to bond with them and raise them all.

To me it’s pretty clear that to be a Pokemon master is simply to be an elite. Analogous to someone who’s reached the peak of their profession in any other field. Someone whose mastery of Pokemon battling, raising, and/or knowledge is so extensive that they’re considered one of the best. They don’t necessarily *have* to be an Elite Four member or a champion, it's just that a lot of them are - but we've seen trainers in the games and anime who absolutely should count as master trainers who often have no particular position or rank. No, it’s just being incredibly good at what you do - akin to being an Olympic athlete or a chess prodigy.

This is why Ash thinks that forging a special relationship with every species of Pokemon there is (and to give him his due, he has shown that he's really good at drawing out the potential of pretty much any Pokemon he catches) is what will make him a master. That's his personal ultimate goal. He has also always wanted to be a fantastic battler and achieve recognition for his prowess in combat but that's ultimately concomitant with his primary goal of catching them all, despite the direction of the recent anime. But I haven't seen most of Journeys so I won't expound too much on something I still need to be more familiar with.

But to circle back. What a Pokemon master is may not ever have been fully or properly explained, but I don't think it's something that is difficult to deduce when you look at everything the series has told us so far.

Max and Ash Battle I’m guessing, at the end of Battle Frontier, Ash promised a battle with him if he saw him again, will they keep up with this idk.
I wonder then if they would do the extreme rarity of recasting the characters' VA (I recall in Japanese May and Max share theirs) for that return, or if a one-episode appearance was something the original VA could do despite the illness that she had to retire for.

This seems like the most on-brand ending to give Ash and this iteration of the anime to me as well. Pokemon as an IP, while not necessarily disparaging it, has been moving further and further away from the idea that "Gotta Catch 'Em All" or "Be the Very Best" is the be-all end-all goal of being a Pokemon trainer (even if these were originally more Western pushed parts of the franchise). Given Pokemon's trying to open up in accessibility with stuff like Go, Let's Go, QoL to invite more players onto later Gens, and Journeys being more of a franchise tour than the standard visit-region plot, ending with the idea that a Pokemon Master is not about a concrete criteria so much as accomplishment and fulfillment in whatever way Ash (or a fan) engages with the world of Pokemon (story player, catching everything, building favorites, comp battling, playing the spin-offs, etc.) melds those together. It also means they can see Ash off as having achieved or fulfilled himself, but not also marking the end of his journey and character in the universe or in the overall franchise, making it something he continues to be (and could show if he comes back for minor appearances) rather than a title one achieves, puts on the wall, and then just kind of is done working towards.

I enjoyed this episode. Seeing Ash use old Pokemon is always a treat and a welcoming surprise.
Just hope one of his old Pokemon gets an evolution before the series ends. Preferably Totodile since it is the only Johto Starter who didn't evolve once. Probably not gonna happen for whatever reason.

I enjoyed this episode. Seeing Ash use old Pokemon is always a treat and a welcoming surprise.
Just hope one of his old Pokemon gets an evolution before the series ends. Preferably Totodile since it is the only Johto Starter who didn't evolve once. Probably not gonna happen for whatever reason.
Totodile is comic relief so I don’t see it (or Oshawott/Gible) evolving.

I’m always surprised that Bayleef didn’t evolve, considering the gag of the body slamming it would’ve made sense for her to be even bigger. He also would’ve had Totodile/Quilava/Meganium

I think if evolutions do happen in this series it’s going to be either; Quilava, Bayleef, or Pignite.

Less likely would be Snivy, Boldore, Palpitoad, Squirtle, Scraggy

And not at all would be Bulbasaur, Buizel, Gible, Oshawott and Totodile.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I think if evolutions do happen in this series it’s going to be either; Quilava, Bayleef, or Pignite.

Less likely would be Snivy, Boldore, Palpitoad, Squirtle, Scraggy

And not at all would be Bulbasaur, Buizel, Gible, Oshawott and Totodile.
Actually I would say that Gible, Boldore, Palpitoad, Scraggy, and Buizel have a good chance of evolving, there's really no reason for them not to.

Bayleef though I can see them not evolving just for the sake of the joke of it tackling Ash. Bayleef may already know it's "pushing" it with tackling Ash with its size and so may be holding off evolving as it would have to stop if it was a Meganium and become too large.

Not too sure about Totodile & Oshawott. While comic relief, otherwise they don't seem to have a reason not to evolve, and they could keep up their comic relief antics in their mid-stage.

The ones off the table are Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Snivy, & Rowlet as they've shown they don't want to evolve (just like Dawn's Piplup).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)