Is Froslass broken?

• Yes.

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Yes, but only in hail.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Some people have talked about how oddball a SubCM Cress with max special attack is, but I can only interpret its rarity as either due to stubborn ignorance or the fact that most people haven't experimented with Cresselia as much as I have.
Totally seconded. In all my testing of CMCresselia i always found max SpA to be the best set.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Man I am getting sick of Froslass. It's such an annoying pokemon, I can't wait to see the day where it gets permanently banned. And here's the kicker, it's been for such a long time...

Oddly enough, I haven't seen a single Froslass in the past few days. Also, I haven't seen a single Hail team for a long time, although I haven't played much since PZ and Cress came down, aside from the past few days. Is it just me, or has Hail's, and thus Froslass', popularity died down somewhat?

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Froslass' popularity has definitely NOT died down. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being the most popular UU lead when the stats are released. Hail teams, however, do seem to be less common.

Man I am getting sick of Froslass. It's such an annoying pokemon, I can't wait to see the day where it gets permanently banned. And here's the kicker, it's been for such a long time...
Nom it.

Oddly enough, I haven't seen a single Froslass in the past few days.
Play more.

Froslass' popularity has definitely NOT died down. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being the most popular UU lead when the stats are released. Hail teams, however, do seem to be less common.
I find this odd actually, because Hail teams are almost a complete stop against Rain teams. Not many Rain Pokemon pack an attack to hit Snover (besides, you know, kabutops (and qwilfish)).

FlareBlitz

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Rain Pokemon don't need to pack attacks to hit Snover, it has 60/50/40 defenses...most of the time with no investment. A stiff breeze would kill it, something its SR weakness and typical position in the lead does not help. And once Snover is gone you're basically facing down a team of Pokemon with shitty defensive typing, useless abilities, and 70% accurate attacks.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Snover should never be used to switch into a Rain team. However, you can bring it in after something has been killed to just fuck up the Rain teams momentum. As they bring in something like Uxie, go to your fun-ass Stallrein and laugh at them.

Rain Pokemon don't need to pack attacks to hit Snover, it has 60/50/40 defenses...most of the time with no investment. A stiff breeze would kill it, something its SR weakness and typical position in the lead does not help. And once Snover is gone you're basically facing down a team of Pokemon with shitty defensive typing, useless abilities, and 70% accurate attacks.
I disagree. With a smart hail user (aka doesn't switch Snover into any Attack) will be able to really fuck with a Rain team. I doubt Specs Gorebyss 2HKOes with Surf. I doubt Ludicolo 2HKOes with Ice Punch. Etc.

The best part is that you can predict Uxie / Whoever coming in and send in Froslass to Taunt and spread paralysis.

Lol beaten by shrang..

FlareBlitz

Regardless of the theorymon, I have never had problems with any hail team on the ladder. Maybe they all just suck.

I honestly don't have an viability-based reason for why Hail's popularity died down. The January changes seem to have made Hail better, but I guess its popularity fell due to Cresselia and Porygon-Z hype. Hail is not only really fun and sadistic but really effective too. I haven't experience Hail vs Rain yet so I'll probably get royally owned when that happens, unless I'm up against one of the many "Rain noobs" who are only using the team type for easy wins or for a quick gauge of whether they really are broken.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rain vs Hail is no contest provided the rain team plays smart enough to kill Snover fast. Then Kabutops comes in.

"Ohai".

*Swords Dance*

*6-0*

"gg"

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
Does anyone have any substantial experience with Rain vs Hail, though? Both are rather uncommon from what I can see.
I've played Rain vs. Hail about 5 times... won all of them. Kabutops was an integral part of all the wins, as was Registeel.

Rain vs Hail is no contest provided the rain team plays smart enough to kill Snover fast. Then Kabutops comes in.

"Ohai".

*Swords Dance*

*6-0*

"gg"
What if the Hail player plays smart enough to not sacrifice Snover? That's how I lost my Rain vs. Hail game (played only one such game though).

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
What if the Hail player plays smart enough to not sacrifice Snover? That's how I lost my Rain vs. Hail game (played only one such game though).
Then you have to be extremely sharp in the way you play Kabutops - with it taking an extra 6% each turn in addition to Life Orb recoil, it becomes easier for the Hail player to stall. Make sharp switches, and hope to god that Stone Edge hits.

However, you should try to attack Snover before setting up rain in the first place.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm starting to see the rationale behind Froslass being BL. I just slapped it in one of my teams today for a little experiment and got Spikes up around the clock while my opponent watched. Then Arcanine's counters suddenly disappeared as I swept right through multiple teams.

Three easy layers of Spikes and SR is no joke. Every other UU Spiker has way too many inherent problems to get more than one layer at once or at all. Froslass is fast, can't be spun on, and can easily take down her foe with her when she's done. You can try to play around Destiny Bond, but it's incredibly hard to do with the pressure of Spikes or an attack move limiting your options.

I'm going to do some more testing tomorrow. If every battle works out about the same where, X powerful sweeper suddenly becomes impossible to counter because of free Spikes, then Froslass is definitely the culprit and I won't hesitate to nominate it by the end of the round.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)