First Dates

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Hey Smogon, this is my first post in Congregation so I hope this thread isn't too bad.

Anyways, the topic for this thread is where do you like to go on first dates. Personally, I think a good place to go is a restaurant or a book store. Someplace where you can just talk and get to know your date better.

Anyways, what are your opinions?

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Book store?

Personally I like the classic dinner and a movie so you can sneak in a kiss if you are confident enough, but hey that's just me.

my last first date (which never actually happened) was supposed to be a walk along the lake to a home made ice cream store around 20 minutes away. Of course it started raining and then things went downhill with the girl, but it would have been great.

Last first date was walking on bloor and stopping if we found something interesting, smoking along the way and drinking wine discreetly hidden in an opaque water bottle. We only stopped when with each other :heart:

I dont like dinner/movie first dates. I prefer just walking around, like on a trail or to someplace it doesn't have to be to a destination. And drinkin along the way is a must!

The absolute best first dates are casual affairs to casual places. The sweet spot is that it's so casual that it can be considered to be a date or not a date based on how it goes; it makes things more comfortable for the askee because there's no big commitments to make, and it's easier on the asker because they don't have to be crushed by the turn down or whatever.

The place is less important than the manner in which it is asked; Generally, I pick something that's interesting or enjoyable for both parties without the date component; I've asked girls to an aquarium, a world-class magic show, a concert, a movie.

I think I'd like something like coffee, then maybe drinks out. I don't really like restaurants cos there's this stupid etiquette (though I get confused in coffee shops as to what exactly they're doing with my drink and where it's going to arrive). Something where you can talk and make each other laugh!

My "favourite" first date was when I took the lady I had been eyeing to the zoo, and we spent the day just having a laugh and walking around looking at all the animals. It was raining, but that's okay because I gave her my coat and we just went into the gift shop to have some coffee and chat. Afterwards, I dropped her off home and got a peck on the cheek and had a smile the size of gengar's on my face for the rest of the drive home. Since then, we've gone on a couple of aimless walks and once ice skating, which was really enjoyable because I suck at it - laughs were to be had at my expense.

O.o Book store. Movies are clearly the best option for a first date, at my age anyway. If it's awkward then the movie will break the tension and if it's going well you get to make out =D

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Bookstore? XD

Well personally i have no favorite "date" spot. If i had to pick one it would be movies. Scary movies. lol. Gets girls in your arms.

I used to go to this really fancy tea shop in Cambridge, First Class Teas. Really modern, nice classical or jazz music playing. Like a coffee shop really, but more relaxed, usually less crowded, and of course selling about a hundred different kinds of tea.

Then it closed down :-(

Had a few dates at cafes and restaurants too.

Movies are rubbish. You end up just watching the movie and not talking to each other, might as well be there on your own.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
best dates are the ones where you are actively doing something with the other person - cinema sucks for that reason

zoo was a fantastic date for me too

I'd have to say the bast first date spot is the mall or somewhere where it's just walking.
As we've all mentioned, it's best to just walk around to nowhere.
No plans, no nothing; that way all you have to do is talk.
I personally prefer the mall just cause you can look at stuff while you wander, and it can bring up discussions (since I somtimes fail at picking topics >.>) but on the whole, definitely just walkin' and talkin' with no real purpose.

(read: the contents of this post are 100% theory)

I think it kinda depends on how long you've been "unofficially" seeing the person for. The shorter this time, the more awkward any conversation on a date will be, therefore the less such conversation there should be. In other words, if you've not been going out for very long, then watching films is better than wandering around shops and chatting, and the reverse is true if you have been going out for a long time.

I think it kinda depends on how long you've been "unofficially" seeing the person for. The shorter this time, the more awkward any conversation on a date will be, therefore the less such conversation there should be. In other words, if you've not been going out for very long, then watching films is better than wandering around shops and chatting, and the reverse is true if you have been going out for a long time.
that's only if you are shy or suck at talking to girls. The best part of getting to know somebody, dating or not, is good conversation!!! Movie dates are silly imo. Altmer's zoo suggestion is great, because if the conversation isn't going well there are plenty of stimuli all over the place to spark some topics. if both of you can dig it, a good museum is awesome too... Science center, etc.

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
I said bookstore because usually there's a starbucks in it. It's just a nice place to talk and get to know your date.

My first date was years ago hell, I still remember it tho. Pretty much, you want to take them to a movie, then treat them to dinner. During dinner, its easier to get conversations going and asking that person more about themselves. After the first date, things naturally progress ;)

Altmer

movie is terrible as a first date because there is zero fucking interaction

try it on 2nd or 3rd for cuddling :)

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with cinema being a terrible first date. I mean there is no possible way it goes well unless going well just means making out with them...which you could do even if you weren't at a movie, and have a great conversation as well. I'm not sure why you would be seeking a relationship with someone if you don't want to talk to them....

Lunch/Dinner/any food is good because you can talk as much as you want and it doesn't put pressure on either of you unless you go to someplace really ritzy. Casual first dates are cool because it really is a "get to know you" sort of deal.

Zoo would be cool but I live in San Diego (which in case you don't know has the most notable zoo in the country) so everyone has already been. Still some nice museums though, and it's nice to just go for a walk along the coast in downtown!

Altmer

I took my gf to the zoo like two or three months in - she hadn't been to a zoo in years. She squealed like a little kid while we were in there. It was insane.

My first date with my guy was at an In-N-Out. I like it simple. It was awesome besides the whole keeping a lookout in case you see someone you know thing. But then we went to a secluded spot on my hill and we made out. :3

I had been friends with this guy a little before so it wasn't awkward at all. I like it when you actually know the person just a little before you start dating.

Altmer

Mine - surprisingly - was at a metal festival in Belgium. But we're both metal fans and we live quite far apart (and we met on the net) so it was the easiest thing to do...

Totally 100% wrong! My, you do make a habit of this.
The best bit about a new relationship is finding things out about the person; if I may get a bit soppy and poetic, devouring them, exploring them.
The best bit about an old relationship is comfortable silences, having them there whilst you do the mundane stuff. They're now a part of your life, so you go with them to the supermarket and discuss what you'll buy for the weekly shop, and what's on TV tonight, and all the other stuff you do when your single but you're now doing with someone else. Introspection has become interaction!

nb: forgive my flowery prose, I've just read another Hesse book

I had a first date where we camped for an entire weekend :) It was utterly amazing. Second best was getting stoned in the woods and exploring all day. Oh, how I miss the Summer...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)