Final Fantasy XIII

Came out yesterday, but I haven't picked it up myself, yet. Waiting till I won't be completely broke by the transaction. Can't wait to play it though.

It seems that the biggest complaints is the linear gameplay, which, while it's bad in it's own right, I am a bit sick of these super free roaming games that have been coming out as of late. So I not to bummed out a bout that.

Anyone else get it yet? I'd like to hear some first opinions.

Not intending to get this anytime soon tbh. Once it gets cheaper, sure, but not at the minute. I know a few friends who have it though, yet to get their opinions on it.

The fact that the original boxart isn't the usual plain white Final Fantasy background with the concept art logo really annoyed me, as if they didn't put that in when it's been on every one to date.

For me, it all started going downhill after FF9... :(

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I picked up copy today. This is my first Final Fantasy actually. I've technically played some others but not really more than a few minutes. Played about an hour or two of VII. I don't mind the linear structure so much but I am worried about reports that it takes a long time for the battle system to reach its full potential. Supposed to have a great battle system once it's up and running though and that's what matters most to me.

I picked up the PS3 version even though I prefer the 360 controller + Achievements. I'm just very easily annoyed by macroblocking.
The fact that the original boxart isn't the usual plain white Final Fantasy background with the concept art logo really annoyed me, as if they didn't put that in when it's been on every one to date.
I guess you live in Europe?

I'm pretty skeptical about it too. The main complaints I'm concerned about aren't the linearity, but the fact that its barely a game. The game is so story focused that game design was overlooked almost completely.

That's a little scary to me, because I agree with Zeromus. Every title since 9 has been worse than the last. I think I'm going to end up getting it, but I have a feeling this will be the last for me unless it suprises me =/

Just picked up a copy today. I don't think I'm done the beginning part of the game, and I've played for about an hour and a half. This seems to be promising, as games nowadays seems to be short. My opinions so far is that the battles seem too simple at where I am, but I hope I get to see paradigms and summons soon (the latter, probably not so soon). This is where I am so far:

Just finished the area where Lightning and Sahz first see the Cie'th.

I just got my copy today. I'm definitely liking it, though it feels really linear. Then again, so was the first bit of VII, my favorite by far. I dislike how you heal after every battle. I also dislike how you can't interact with many people. Seriously, half the characters that have talked up to where I am (beginning of Chapter 2) are non-NPCs.

Did I mention Vanille's voice. Ughhhhh.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When you use hide tags, you can put in text to appear in that little box. I think it would be useful if people said what chapter they're on (even though Chapters 1 - 10 take the same amount of time as the last 3 or 4 chapters).

text here

Example
Why the hell are they letting untrained civilians like who I think is Vanille point guns at them randomly and say "bang" are you people crazy

I just got my copy today. I'm definitely liking it, though it feels really linear. Then again, so was the first bit of VII, my favorite by far. I dislike how you heal after every battle. I also dislike how you can't interact with many people. Seriously, half the characters that have talked up to where I am (beginning of Chapter 2) are non-NPCs.

Did I mention Vanille's voice. Ughhhhh.
Well, you CAN put subtitles on for people you pass by, but that's about it. I agree about Vanille's voice; why did they pick her as the narrator?

When you use hide tags, you can put in text to appear in that little box. I think it would be useful if people said what chapter they're on (even though Chapters 1 - 10 take the same amount of time as the last 3 or 4 chapters).

text here

Example
Why the hell are they letting untrained civilians like who I think is Vanille point guns at them randomly and say "bang" are you people crazy
>.< Sorry, it was my first time using the hide tag. Anyways, yeah, I agree with that part. Also,

She dies and Snow, Gadot, and the others survive? WTF, didn't she say moms are tough?

Yeah, I though that was odd too. One of the more uncomfortable character interactions thus far. Plus, I find it hard to believe how Snow got so close with the kid's mother, who he knew for all of ten minutes, and developed such a strong determination to protect her son.

XII was terrible, I don't think I'll get XIII. Even if I do, it'll be the PC port if there ever is one.

In certain areas where you start off at an area, if you go backwards, you sometimes find items. Guess it's not so linear now I guess.

EDIT: Anyone get a Game Over yet? I haven't.

My only experience with the Final Fantasy franchise was with the PS2 FFX and FFX-2. They were kinda fun, although I have never really managed to finish the game themselves.

I might get FFXIII if the price goes down to about $30 at two or three years from now. I still have to think about saving for Bayonetta, Bioshock 1 & 2, and Mass Effect 1 & 2. There is so much catching up for me to do on the Xbox 360 titles. *sigh*

Maybe I'll just borrow or rent.

Firestorm

>.< Sorry, it was my first time using the hide tag. Anyways, yeah, I agree with that part.
Yeah, I don't think many people know about it.
Yeah, I though that was odd too. One of the more uncomfortable character interactions thus far. Plus, I find it hard to believe how Snow got so close with the kid's mother, who he knew for all of ten minutes, and developed such a strong determination to protect her son.
Yeah, I figured they knew each other or something but it doesn't look like it. That was almost as bad as the scene in Eternal Sonata.

I got this game at the midnight release last night. I didn't start playing it until this morning though because I didn't get home till like 4. But yeah, it's pretty awesome so far. I'm like 3 and a half hours in. The fact that it's linear isn't bothering me. It's more linear than XII but X was more linear and X is one of my favorite Final Fantasy's.

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
got it in the mail yesteday, so far so good, FFX was linear as well so I cant be bothered that much ;)
thing is is that it play entirely different and from what I read the battles are far more strategic then in any other FF so far

Currently got past the Crystal Lake, where Snow was left behind for Serah. Wonder how he will fare, he seems like the tank of the bunch. they shouldve just changed Vanille's voice actress though, she's just horrible, half british accent is just blergh.

I don't doubt its brilliance. But I don't own a PS3 or XBox 360, and I'm not buying a console just for one game. I never even completed FFXII anyway.

I'm not really a fan of the FF series but I must say the graphics on this are brilliant. To bad I don't own a PS3 or 360 -.-

My only experience with the Final Fantasy franchise was with the PS2 FFX and FFX-2. They were kinda fun, although I have never really managed to finish the game themselves.

I might get FFXIII if the price goes down to about $30 at two or three years from now. I still have to think about saving for Bayonetta, Bioshock 1 & 2, and Mass Effect 1 & 2. There is so much catching up for me to do on the Xbox 360 titles. *sigh*

Maybe I'll just borrow or rent.
On an off-topic note, you sure you want to get Bayonetta for the PS3? I heard it takes like 25 seconds just to load a level and the frame rate sucks ass...

I don't doubt its brilliance. But I don't own a PS3 or XBox 360, and I'm not buying a console just for one game. I never even completed FFXII anyway.
lol FFXIII is the reason why I got my PS3, if not, the biggest motivation for me getting one. I just got back from work, so I'll be playing FFXIII again shortly.

I guess you live in Europe?
Yep :( I could get the limited edition one but I don't fancy paying an extra £10 just for the boxart.

One of my mates said it's pretty good so far, but I'm probably gonna give it a look after he's finished it and given me his opinion on it.

What's all the thing about the XBox displaying in 720p or something? I read it on the internet and a mate mentioned it, but looking at the box it seemed to have 720p/1080p/1080i :s

Picked it up for the midnight release. Been really busy with school stuff though, so I've only put about 6 hours or so into it so far. Once I'm done with my finals, I'll probably get into it hardcore.

It doesn't feel like a "Final Fantasy" though so far to me, whatever that means. I think this can mostly be attributed to the lack of classic "Final Fantasy" terminology, and the unfamiliar baddies. I mean, where are all the components I have grown to love over the years? :(

Im a virgin to this series and ive played around two hours or so. So far the game is appaling other than the cut scenes and of course the graphics. Im obviously going to put more time in but so far i'm seriously unimpressed.

Firestorm

Yep :( I could get the limited edition one but I don't fancy paying an extra £10 just for the boxart.

One of my mates said it's pretty good so far, but I'm probably gonna give it a look after he's finished it and given me his opinion on it.

What's all the thing about the XBox displaying in 720p or something? I read it on the internet and a mate mentioned it, but looking at the box it seemed to have 720p/1080p/1080i :s
Those are the compatible modes.

PS3: 1080p FMVs, 720p for regular pre-rendered cutscenes and gameplay
360: 576p

I've played a bit more today and this is where I am:

At the ruins place after you ditch Snow.

I actually got a few Game Overs now, mainly because I was too busy reading some shit on the screen and not paying attention to my party's hitpoints. I really can't wait until I get to summon; that's gonna kick ass.

I don't have a PS3 or I'd definately get it. I'm not much of a console player at all. Maybe I'll get it and keep it at my cousins house and go over there and play it sometimes. It looks sick though.

I don't have a PS3 or I'd definately get it. I'm not much of a console player at all. Maybe I'll get it and keep it at my cousins house and go over there and play it sometimes. It looks sick though.
I'm in the same boat I'm not a console gamer at all so I probably won't buy it but I can always play it at my friends

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)