DS Lite vs DSi

Whats your opinion? I have the opportunity to purchase one or the other.. and I'm not sure which one to grab. Your opinions would help me out a lot.

Wild Card: Does the 3DS appeal to you at all? Worth the wait?

If you already have a GBA (any kind) or original DS, there's not really much point in the DS Lite. If you don't, the DS Lite has the advantage of being able to play GBA games.

There's not much point getting a DSi with the 3DS coming out in a few months; it's backwards-compatible with DS games, and has all the features of the DSi. But like the DSi, it can't play GBA games.

Assuming you don't have a GBA/DS already, go for the DS Lite, followed by the 3DS if you want the DSi features and 3DS games.

I'm wondering if the 3DS is worthwhile, given that Nintendo may simply release a better edition soon after.

I got the GBA, and the DS, only to see Nintendo release a far better version shortly after. I'm not sure, but if you really want a handheld now it may be better to go for the best one at the moment, then wait for the 2nd/3rd 3DS to come out before moving forward. (Unless of course Nintendo has a killer opening line-up)

The best at the moment varies depending on if you want to play GBA games. Also I think the DS lite has longer battery life.

Whats your opinion? I have the opportunity to purchase one or the other.. and I'm not sure which one to grab. Your opinions would help me out a lot.

Wild Card: Does the 3DS appeal to you at all? Worth the wait?
Yes. Although I (and I'm sure many others) am very skeptical about the functionalities of the 3D screen. I mean, no glasses can only go so far

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
As a guy who made DS Lites in a factory, fuck DS Lites. I'm perfectly happy with my Fat DS. The Advance SP was a huge step up, but both the DS Lite and the DSi aren't special.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
They break more easily, but I didn't think that was a secret. When it first came out, I knew a few guys whose hinges holding the two screens together had broken. I also don't understand the fascination with really tiny handhelds, I want something that fits in my hands comfortably. The GBA Mini was ridiculous. But mostly, I hate hate hate the power switch on the DS Lite. Cause I had to switch it on and off about 500 times a day and it hurts your thumb.

But what I said about step ups, is that the Advance SP had a backlight that wasn't shit and it folded. The DS Lite is just smaller. Why? The DSi even gets rid of the ability to play GBA games. Both he DSi and the PSP Go are just attempts at regulating what people can and can't do with their games, I don't like it.

Alright I've had a DS Lite for quite a while now (around the same time as the release of Platinum) and I can say that they're not that bad. I try my best to take care of it, and it's working in tip-top shape as of now. Especially the fact that the L+R buttons still work.
Such isn't the case with my old DS...

And people probably just like the sleeker look of smaller handhelds. I know I do

Well technically the DSi is better in every way aside from battery life and lack of GBA slot, the decision really comes down to whether or not the extra money is worth the upgrade from a Lite. Unless there's some reason you need a gimmicky camera on your gaming system or find a load of appealing DSi exclusive/DSiWare titles, the upgrade really isn't worth it imo.

vonFiedler said:
They break more easily, but I didn't think that was a secret. When it first came out, I knew a few guys whose hinges holding the two screens together had broken. I also don't understand the fascination with really tiny handhelds, I want something that fits in my hands comfortably. The GBA Mini was ridiculous. But mostly, I hate hate hate the power switch on the DS Lite. Cause I had to switch it on and off about 500 times a day and it hurts your thumb.

But what I said about step ups, is that the Advance SP had a backlight that wasn't shit and it folded. The DS Lite is just smaller. Why? The DSi even gets rid of the ability to play GBA games. Both he DSi and the PSP Go are just attempts at regulating what people can and can't do with their games, I don't like it.
We're in the Apple era here, I'll take a sleek design that can easily fit in my pocket over ugly and bulky anyday. The DS fat is horrible anyway, I seriously have no idea how I managed playing that thing after using a Lite for so long. And complaining about the Lite's power switch, really? You must be very easily frustrated if that bothers you :P

Well technically the DSi is better in every way aside from battery life and lack of GBA slot, the decision really comes down to whether or not the extra money is worth the upgrade from a Lite. Unless there's some reason you need a gimmicky camera on your gaming system or find a load of appealing DSi exclusive/DSiWare titles, the upgrade really isn't worth it imo.
I agree with you, it's not.
I will gladly take more battery life and the ability to play GBA games over a 3 megapixel camera.

[;

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
We're in the Apple era here, I'll take a sleek design that can easily fit in my pocket over ugly and bulky anyday. The DS fat is horrible anyway, I seriously have no idea how I managed playing that thing after using a Lite for so long. And complaining about the Lite's power switch, really? You must be very easily frustrated if that bothers you :P
Fuck Apple. Fuck it in the ass. The fat DS is the size of regular game controller. My hands fit around it comfortably, and it fits in my pocket just fine.

Very easily frustrated? Have you ever worked in a factory? Have you ever done a repetitive task you had to do every 60 seconds for 8 hours, while sitting in a shitty chair with bad posture? Do me a favor and for 8 hours, do nothing but turn the DS Lite on and off. Then tell me how minor a complaint that is.

The DSi has no GBA slot and is region-locked. To me, that is a deal-breaker. The Lite is a great improvement on the Phat (backlight levels, slimmer design that's easier to use and is more portable, battery capacity and life, better shock resistance), and it's good enough for me. Get a DS Lite if you play GBA games or plan to import; if you already have a working DS, save up for a 3DS, in my opinion. You might want to anyway if you aren't in a hurry, since it's backwards-compatible, according to Wichu. If you plan to play a lot outside of your house, you might opt for the Lite over the DSi anyway, since it has superior battery life as mentioned in this thread.

I have both a DSi and a DSL and it really depends on what you want it for. I love playing GBA games, but playing a GBA game on your DSL really isnt fulfilling, I just use my SP. However, I feel like I have to leave my DSi at home because it scratches so easily. So if you don't plan on doing much other than playing DS games at home, go DSi, if you plan on having mobility, go DSL.

As someone who owns a DS Lite and a DSi, after a day of playing on the DSi I just can't go back to the DS Lite. The overall size, matte finish, d-pad and bigger screens were enough for me to warrant an upgrade. I couldn't stand the Lite's screen size and D-Pad, and I couldn't stand playing gba games on the system cause of the button size and placement. To be honest with you I probably would have stayed with the Lite if it offered some sort of button configuration for GBA games, but as it doesn't offer it, I most certainly won't miss GBA on the DSi, when I have 3 SPs and a Micro which are all superior systems when it comes to playing GBA games.

The region locking for DSi enhanced titles and DSi only titles do piss me off slightly, but then there aren't any worthwhile titles that utilize the DSi's extra ram etc. Sonic Classic Collections still play horribly, and while Black & White do take advantage of the system, the games are going to be released worldwide anyway so whatever tbh.

I just have a regular fat DS and a DS Lite, but the part where it folds always either breaks (fat DS) or chips off for me (the DS Lite has gotten to the point where a black screen appears at the top if you put it at a certain angle), so I agree that they damage easily (or maybe I'm just clumsy as heck).

The pretty much only reason I perfer Lite over DSi is because of GBA games (I have SP, but after so much years of DS exposure) but besides that, it has more battery life than DSi while the DSi just has more features. Honestly I would just wait until 3DS, which might have around the same battery life as DSi, but I'm guessing it's features will just put it on the top in general. But of course, it's up to you.

Also, I assume that the 3DS won't use up battery as fast while playing DS(i) games. The actual battery in the 3DS will be a lot better than those in the DS Lite/DSi, but the increased power consumption of the new hardware bring that down to DSi levels. While playing old DS games, it shouldn't use as much power, so the battery will last longer.

Fuck Apple. Fuck it in the ass. The fat DS is the size of regular game controller. My hands fit around it comfortably, and it fits in my pocket just fine.

Very easily frustrated? Have you ever worked in a factory? Have you ever done a repetitive task you had to do every 60 seconds for 8 hours, while sitting in a shitty chair with bad posture? Do me a favor and for 8 hours, do nothing but turn the DS Lite on and off. Then tell me how minor a complaint that is.
Um k chill I thought you meant you hated actually using the power button, of course repetitive labor is frustrating..

Dunno, personally I've never had an issue with how the Lite fits in my hands and they're pretty normal sized or so I'd like to think. To each his own.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Um k chill I thought you meant you hated actually using the power button,
I do. I hate it. It hurts your thumb, so you start using your pointer finger, then move onto your middle finger, then soon all your fingers feel shit and you're trying to flick the sharp little nob with your palm. With the fat DS you just push a button. I don't understand how that design is so impracticable that they had to change it.

I do. I hate it. It hurts your thumb, so you start using your pointer finger, then move onto your middle finger, then soon all your fingers feel shit and you're trying to flick the sharp little nob with your palm. With the fat DS you just push a button. I don't understand how that design is so impracticable that they had to change it.
dont worry, i got you.

DSi can't Pal Park. That should be reason enough for anyone on this forum to get the DS Lite if they don't have a working original DS.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
In my opinion, the DS Lite was a significant improvement on the original, both aesthetically and based on its specification. It is noticeably lighter, much more compact and has longer battery life. These are arguably the most important specifications on any hand held gaming device. In contrast, I did not consider the DSi's benefits to justify its price premium over the DS Lite (plus it has worse battery life).

I will reserve judgement on the 3DS until I see the changes for myself and when its price is announced (but it does look pretty good!).

Unless you have a real pressing need for a handheld I'd just wait it out for the 3DS, which will have nearly everything the previous DS systems had and probably a whole lot more. If you do want to get something now, the DS Lite is the better choice, though I'm still hesitant to recommend it since mine had a screen go bad after a year or two.

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
Well the region locking for DSi isn't THAT bad. I mean, there aren't many DSi only-titles. The main drawback imo is the inferior battery life, compared to Lite.

it depends what internet aswell cus ds lites only connect to routers with WEP keys whereas DSi's connect with wep and tpisk (or whatever it is)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)