Diablo 2/D2LoD Thread

PvP is D2

So the faster you can PvP the more enjoyable the game will be.

I looked through the recent patch... did H-Dins take a huge nerf PvE wise due to hammers being resisted? Or is everything the same?

Yeah, blizzard did nerf hammers, since they were overpowered. I haven't tested it though, the patch didn't get me up and playing again (yet, will probably some day again).
18k (18 000) unresistable damage at best, 10k with decent gear, and glitch letting them do that damage to every NPC and player except some rare Yetis found only in a few select places

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Nerf them in what way, and when?

"That" is also not a glitch. They deal damage in the form of the rare "magic" type. Magic resistance is hardly available to players at all, so it makes sense they certainly will hurt players. Some enemies have Magic resist/immunity but Hammer ignores resistance on undead and demon mobs. The only enemy with Magic immunity that is neither undead nor demon (i.e. Animal) is the Wailing Beast in Act 3 Hell, which only appears in the underground passages in Kurast, such as when you're getting Lam Esen's Tome.

So when I logged in I noticed my lvl 74 Sorceress was "expired" but as you all know if no one uses up the name you can 'revive' it, which I did. I logged in and I had the insight merc which I loved, a shako, occy, chains of honor armor, spirit sword, all that good stuff...but than I noticed it was non-ladder and I raged. ;_; So I just deleted her. xD I totally forgot about the ladder reset. It made me think "what's the point."

But if anyone wants I'm down to play on USeast/west. Just to play and not grind to get the best gear evarz. All people do nowadays is get rushed, I bet they don't know what any of the quests are called. ;_;

Nerf them in what way, and when?
Removed the possibility for hammers to damage immune Demons and Undead and added a few more places where there are magic immunes, most notably wave 2 at Baals throne (IIRC). It came in the 1.13 patch, a couple of months back.

"That" is also not a glitch. They deal damage in the form of the rare "magic" type. Magic resistance is hardly available to players at all, so it makes sense they certainly will hurt players.
And that is why some people argued it was overpowered; You couldn't shield yourself from it, and you could kill anything you wanted, except the Wailing Beasts (and if they spawned, you could just skip them), unlike any other builds, where you either had to pay all you had and more to get a chance to remove the resistance (Infinity), or hope that your gear procced the correct curse at the correct time (Lower Resist, Amplify Damage), or rely on weaker attacks to kill sometimes 10+ of these immunes (Mercenary, Berserk).

Some enemies have Magic resist/immunity but Hammer ignores resistance on undead and demon mobs.
Actually, I had written a comment on this, stating it's a glitch (which was what I had heard), but then I decided to take a look through the patch notes and do a small google search. It seems they added what you say in Patch 1.10, so I stand corrected on this matter. They did remove this in 1.13 though.

The only enemy with Magic immunity that is neither undead nor demon (i.e. Animal) is the Wailing Beast in Act 3 Hell, which only appears in the underground passages in Kurast, such as when you're getting Lam Esen's Tome.
Which is exactly the monster I mentioned in my hide tags, except without the name, which those I intended the hide tag for wouldn't get anyways.

thund91 said:
All people do nowadays is get rushed, I bet they don't know what any of the quests are called. ;_;
Well, they certainly know what Ancients are :P On a more serious note, this is pretty much true :pirate:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Hmm yep, that's pretty recent...

And that is why some people argued it was overpowered; You couldn't shield yourself from it...
Are Boners overpowered? They also deal Magic damage, as do Berserkers. Are physical attacks, especially ones which can't be blocked (i.e. Smite), overpowered? *shrug* Is this game even really supposed to have wonderful PvP balance?

Are Boners overpowered? They also deal Magic damage, as do Berserkers. Are physical attacks, especially ones which can't be blocked (i.e. Smite), overpowered?
But the thing is, Smiter, Berserker and Boner are not near the same thing a Hammerdin is (PvP wise). Smiter does only small damage, so you can escape it and get your distance. Berserker is a joke in PvP, though I see how it was useful in pre-1.13 LoD (When IM was in Sanctuary, it got ditched too). A smiter relies on Crushing Blow and Open Wounds in PvE, not real damage. In PvE, a Boner does shit alone, it needs Corpse Explosion (which then isn't magic damage anymore). With equipment that is optimised for damage, it barely cracks 10k-11k damage, and then he is sacrificing mobility and survivability. If you got a Hammerdin and a Boner with the same equipment, the Hammerdin got much much more damage (4-5k or more, with this changing the better equipment you got). Their damage and PvE Killspeed is simply just too different to be compared, Hammerdin is 3-4 times faster to kill and play with (or was, haven't tested as of now).

Also, Physical and magic can't even be compared together. No physical can get as high damage as Hammers (Highest I can remember off the bat is ~7k for GA ama), while you can't even resist magic. With physical you got Damage Reduction stat, up to 50%. Thus the physical is sent down to much easier levels to handle.

The point in the end is: Hammerdins could do most damage easiest, you couldn't shield yourself from it properly in PvP, and in PvE magic is one of the best types, and even though you could use a Berserker and Boner, a Hammerdin was the fastest and safest.

*shrug* Is this game even really supposed to have wonderful PvP balance?
I don't think so, and it doesn't :P Though most of the whining came from PvE people (Which might have not come clearly out from my earlier post, which is my bad), you should have seen the suggestion most people had when Blizzard asked for opinions to patch 1.13: 40% was to remove teleport from Enigma, 40% was to nerf Hammerdins somehow, the rest were other types of suggestions. (This is over-the-top, but it illustrates the point).

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
the most fun i have had playing on d2 is definitely as a kick assassin. requires a lot of thought and care to play, but you have the right tools to handle everything from huge crowds to uber-tristram runs. i think mine might still be around, don't think i gave away any of my old stuff, but she'll be non-ladder by now and possibly overwritten. should reinstall d2...

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
damage comparisons blagh blagh

The point in the end is: Hammerdins could do most damage easiest, you couldn't shield yourself from it properly in PvP, and in PvE magic is one of the best types, and even though you could use a Berserker and Boner, a Hammerdin was the fastest and safest.

...the suggestion most people had when Blizzard asked for opinions to patch 1.13: 40% was to remove teleport from Enigma...
I'm not going to deny Hammerdin wasn't the best PvE character (except in the doofy Maggot Lair...) but let's not overrate them in PvP. You're not hitting anybody paying remote attention with a Hammer, they're merely a weak area denial tool for other magic-based PvP Paladins. "Balance" in PvE isn't particularly relevant anyway, so long as every class can make it through the game and most every skill is usable somehow.

And yeah, fuck Enigma too. Teleport is just stupidly powerful to the point that nobody (except Sorcs) can afford to NOT have it in PvP and it's still a gigantic time-saver for PvE. Diablo 2 is all about the great options and directions you can take with every character. Teleport on Enigma completely ruins the game, to some extent, by being the only item in the game everyone must have. It's also why Amazons are way weaker than every other class because their casting speed is so bad they can't even effectively Teleport.

Makes me wanna start leveling a Barb right now on USEast... Leap is a decent Teleport substitute in PvE and no more dumb Iron Maiden in Chaos Sanctuary forcing me to work down to Berserk. ^____________________^ Shame there's not a whole lot of ways to build a Barb, a dedicated War Cry build requires massive twinking to work and their second tree is all passive. :(

monkfish

They got rid of Iron Maiden? That's pretty cool, I'll have to check out the other changes they've made..

Random stuffs...

No fucking way should Teleport be removed from Enigma, Period. Good luck approaching Zons and Sorcs with your Barb, Necro, Druid, and even Assassin (DF~, I love it but it sucks). Paladins have Charge but even that is a questionable means of transportation.

KickSin's Fuck Yeah! WW Sins are sexier though ;)

By far my favorite PvP char though is definitely WarCry Barbs. They are so gimmicky but fun to use. Unfortunately some jackass stole my name and I can't 'revive' him.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Vigor-Charge is arguably the best means of transportation in PvP because it'll desync you from your opponents long enough to smack them with a Hammer or your melee attack of choice. It's not bad traveling the map either, except the whole "doesn't cross gaps" thing like Leap or Teleport. But that's a silly complaint anyway, every class has some means of dealing with "that."

Kicksins, fuck yeah. \m/ Still my favorite D2 moment was leveling up my brand new Kicksin and four-shotting Andariel at Level 11 with nothing but a pair of Greaves and other junk.

I'm trying to decide whether I should bother with D2 anymore. I've got a Paladin (Zeal/Fanaticism) near the end of Hell Mode, but since he isn't an ideal Magic Finder, maybe I should just start a Sorc instead.

I could make him a Hammerdin but I really don't have good equipment. I mean I've got a Wizardspike and Magehand/Frostburn but that's about it :(

My recommendation is that you continue building on your Zealer while doing Diablo, Trav, and other Unique Monster hunts. Eventually you will pop a few decent items that are usable or tradable. Rinse and repeat.

Minimum setup for a decent H-Din is Hoto, Nigma, HoZ, Shako, 2xSoJ, Mara, Anni, P-Torch, and a CTA+Spirit on switch. iirc, that is about 10-13k Hammers which is 'enough'

I'm only on SP so I can't get anni or torch :( but yeah the minimum setup is too extreme for me. I'll probably just wait till D3 :P

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just wanted to note that if you're a fan of Diablo 2, Titan Quest Gold Edition (including the expansion) is only 5 bucks on Steam today, so it's a pretty great deal for a game that is essentially "Diablo 2 but better"

On Topic: Diablo 2 PvP is probably the most hilariously stupid thing in the game, simply because it's essentially "is your opponent paying attention" or "can you desync yourself well enough that they can't see you". It's fun and rewarding if you get tricked out enough, but I've just found it incredibly dull. Not that PvE is significantly better, but eh...

My recommendation is that you continue building on your Zealer while doing Diablo, Trav, and other Unique Monster hunts. Eventually you will pop a few decent items that are usable or tradable. Rinse and repeat.

Minimum setup for a decent H-Din is Hoto, Nigma, HoZ, Shako, 2xSoJ, Mara, Anni, P-Torch, and a CTA+Spirit on switch. iirc, that is about 10-13k Hammers which is 'enough'
Posting to disagree with that "minimum setup." I had a perfectly successful Hammerdin last ladder season using dual spirits, shako, random resist rings and amulet with FCR to hit the breakpoints, lionheart armor, nats boots and like IK belt or something, with charms to make up resists that I was lacking. Spirit and Lionheart runewords are dirt cheap to make, the highest rune you need is a Fal. Most expensive thing on that character was a shako which you can get for like a Pul if you trade on bnet. You won't be annihilating mobs in 8 players games, but it's definitely fine for 1-4 player games.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I always have trouble with the prices of items in this game when trading. At the moment, I'm thinking of making an Enigma for my hammerdin (I have a regular 3 socket Dusk Shroud but I might keep playing to find something better... hopefully an Archon Plate), so how much would a Jah rune be worth in USWest ladder?

You won't be annihilating mobs in 8 players games
If you are making a H-Din then being able to annihilate said mobs should be a bare minimum.

I always have trouble with the prices of items in this game when trading. At the moment, I'm thinking of making an Enigma for my hammerdin (I have a regular 3 socket Dusk Shroud but I might keep playing to find something better... hopefully an Archon Plate), so how much would a Jah rune be worth in USWest ladder?
A Superior 15ed Dusk Shroud is the only worthwhile Enigma... imo. As most classes can use it after Anni, Torch, and equipment boosts kick-in.

monkfish

ok i have bitten the bullet and reinstalled LoD. find me on europe ladder, acc "monkfish". i need some friends to play with!

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Ok, I finally have D2 installed and working on Win7, hit me up for a game - *toothache42. Could do with some character levelling and perhaps some crappy mfing gear to help me get started.

I like to play D2 again i started player earlier this year after I quite wow (why did i start that). anyway ill play on europe pref but don't mind others Just give me a pm and ill make an account. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)