Metagame Cross Evolution

Have you done the tiering survey?

• Yes

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • I'll do it later

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In this context since we're talking about Gholdengo specifically, I say fair enough. All I'm saying is that we shouldn't be so focused on trying to follow game data when there could be other alternatives that could make the overall meta much more fun. I'm not entirely sure if there are other scenarios where a Pokemon gets an addition to their primary type, but when the Slow-Galar twins gets released sometime in the future I don't want all my cross evolutions to just be more of Slowbro-Galar and Slowking-Galar 2.

Also, just so that the thread isn't cluttered by this discussion, here are some cool sets I found.

:ss/scyther: -> :ss/ceruledge:

Stats: 105 / 185 / 120 / 65 / 140 / 155
Ceruledge (Scyther) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bitter Blade
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Claw

A very powerful cross evolution that also happens to be a decent check to another mon posted in this sub, Primeape + Tsareena. Bug/Ghost is surpisingly good offensively and alongisde Bitter Blade you get near perfect coverage alongside healing and pretty respectable STABs. This combo is no slouch defensively either, thanks to Flash Fire, and it's got great bulk to allow for a lot of set up opportunities.

:ss/girafarig: -> :ss/noivern:

Stats: 115 / 120 / 110 / 142 / 105 / 153
Noivern (Girafarig) @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Nasty Plot / Heat Wave
- U-turn

An underrated Pokemon combo in my opinion that is based off of a very simple concept: STAB Boomburst. Hyper Offense is going to run wild in the meta and you know what this means: Lots of Prankster Dual Screens and a whole lot of strong set up sweepers. Cyclizar is also excellent with its ability to pass along Substitutes for its teammates to make use of. Boomburst bypasses Substitute, and Infiltrator bypasses Screens. It is THE anti Hyper Offense mon, Girafarig being the strongest special attacking Stage 1 Normal-type for this exact role. Tera Normal with this mon goes nutty. Choice Specs for more immediate damage, Life Orb if you wanna use Nasty Plot.

:ss/vigoroth: -> :ss/gallade:

Stats: 110 / 170 / 110 / 55 / 115 / 120
Gallade (Vigoroth) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sharpness
Jolly Nature
- Slash
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Yeah uhh, Sharpness on Gallade makes it an even better evolution than any meta of cross evolution before, and it was already one of the best evolutions by far. Very straightforward mon, it hits very very hard and there's no other Stage 2 that makes better use of Gallade's attributes than Vigoroth (atleast, as far as I can tell).

Yo, I completely forgot Girafarig can evolve. I hardly get to find people who play Cross Evolution (though admittedly, I only stay online for 30 minutes at a time too, so there's that lol) so I assume I'm not the only one who forgot as I have yet to fight that monstrosity. Great catch, a specs set could work too I think, especially since it gains U-Turn from Noivern.

Yo, speaking of Scyther.....

Lokix (Scyther) @ Heavy-duty Boots / Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
Tera Type: Bug
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / U-Turn
- Leech Life
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch

Stats:108/166/118/85/110/152 (adds the typing: Dark).

A pretty straightforward set, you can make it a setup sweep if that's what you wish. Though honestly, from what I've seen, CB seems the way to go as it becomes rather difficult to safely switch into, even its suppose "checks" are still at risk of either dying outright or taking a huge amount of damage from a tinted lens STAB U-Turn. Leech life is nothing more than a stronger STAB, but I think people will replace that with something else (couldn't find anything better when running this combination), Sucker Punch makes for great revenge killing and a priority move nonetheless, while Close Combat brings it all together. Nuff said I think.

Scyther honestly is downright disgusting, would honestly go as far to say it's EASILY better than Ursaring, Bisharp, Primeape etc and is pretty much equal to Sneasel. These two gotta go in my honest opinion, but that's another discussion I suppose....

Quagsire (Dunsparce) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera type: Fairy
EVS: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature / Impish Nature
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Roost
- Toxic / Coil / Calm Mind
- Tera Blast

Stats: 140/110/110/105/105/65

Skeledirge (Chansey) @ Leftovers
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVS: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rocks / Roar
- Seismic Toss / Night Shade / Roar

Stats: 255/25/27/55/122/67 (adds secondary Typing: Ghost)

These two have insane synergy to the point it's not funny, the cherry on top they both also have unaware to boast. I'm not a stall person myself (I use them on almost all my balance teams), but I think if someone were to seriously build around these two (for stall) I think it'll be very rewarding. Might even be downright unbreakable but who knows lol, that's all I got new for now

Last edited:
Just theorymonning, this is probably not good and I'm probably not using the best set either for it but it looks funny.

Skeledirge (Primeape) @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rage Fist
- Drain Punch
- Slack Off / Taunt
- Bulk Up

This is basically Annihilape trading bulk for Unaware and more speed. Get in on just about anything and spam Rage Fist. Maybe Scarf is better on this guy.

Meowscarada (Primeape) @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
EVS: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch / Knock Off
- U-Turn
Stats:80/135/67/81/77/135 (Adds secondary Typing:Dark).

This is just aset that I run for my own reasons and what not.

However, I strongly believe that I may have stumbled upon the most unpredictable pokemon in Cross Evolution, with the combination of Primeape's and Meowscarada's movepool the sets you can come up with is almost endless I want say lol. Welp, Chan-dirge and Dun-sire ain't looking so unbreakable anymore.

EDIT: Oh btw, I was under the impression that revival blessing was banned until I saw a rabsca Crevo was in fact able to use Revival Blessing.

This made me come up with a Chansey and Pawmot combination. Not sure how good it'll be but I'll let y'all know when I enter a tour or something.

https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen9crossevolution-1763738496

Chansey x Pawmot in action!

Pawmot ( Chansey) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Ghost / Fairy
EVS: 4HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Soft-Boiled
- Revival Blessing
- Volt Switch / Healing Wish
- Nuzzle
Stats:255/45/35/55/125/70

This is the set that I used in the reply. Natural cure seems like the obvious choice here since it lets Chansey be a decent status absorber while also spreading statuses of its own in the form of Nuzzle. I find it downright stupid that you have the option to revive TWO fallen pokemon if one were to choose to run Healing Wish over momentum (V-Switch) on Chansey. In otherwords, even though I've battle only three times with this team, Chansey x Pawmot seems like a very very very GOOD combination and it's mainly due to revival blessing.

Rabsca (Dunsparce) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Fairy
EVS: 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVS: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Roost
- Revival Blessing
- Trick Room
- Tera Blast
Stats:134/70/95/145/107/60

I figured since Rabsca gives TR, why not build a TR team? And boy did this combination right here fit the bill lol. Nuff said here too.

Last edited:
ursaring, scyther and sneasel are all broken. i feel like everyone who plays or attempts to build in this meta already knows this, but i see fairly little discussion about them in this thread and i feel that - for this meta to not revolve around those 3 pokemon along with like primeape tsareena and random gyarados mons - all three of them need to go.

:sneasel: snease kinda just does what it always did - exploit its speed and power and great offensive typing. it was given another chance this gen w the banning of sleep moves and kings rock, but frankly sneasel has only gotten better because breloom sets are no longer the absolute undisputed best. they're still very good, make no mistake, and frankly focus sash sd/beat up lead sets are still absolutely terrifying and arguably broken in and of themselves given the lack of good fairy types to resist fighting/dark stabs, but the introduction of ceruledge sets to its repertoire (giving access to 4 immunities as well as some absolutely absurd coverage) along with the addition of terrastalisation just make it far too difficult to deal with. pair that with the possibility of gyarados sets or even some weirder shit like lycanroc dusk or houndstone and it becomes almost impossible to tell at team preview what exactly you're going up against and a wrong guess will lead to almost instant punishment as soon as it hits the field. it's restrictive in the builder and almost impossible to play around and should immediately go.

:ursaring: ursaring kinda only has one great thing it can evolve into (dragonite), but frankly its deep movepool, multitude of setup options, 180 base attack and respectable bulk just combine to create this absolute monster of a pokemon. Stab bellydrum + extreme speed on a pokemon with multiscale and 180 attack is ridiculous and singlehandedly mandates a ghost type on every team or else it will come in and it will set up. It doesn't matter if the pokemon itself is fairly one dimensional if it claims two kills every game, is not weak to any priority that it doesn't just straight up out-prioritise itself and it honestly just fairly splashable (bulkier sets are still menaces while using their valuable resistances and ability to force out physical attackers to be a thorn in your opponents side, while offensive sets pair well with about everything). I think it's kind of a no brainer in terms of brokenness - requires such weirdly specific answers that it can always either cripple or work around anyway.

:scyther: scyther is kind of a weird hybrid between sneasel and ursaring - it combines ursarings ability to out prioritise and one shot half the metagame with sneasel's versatility and unpredictability. it's probably the primary reason that tsareena primeape is everywhere as its lokix set alone will just run over offensive teams with first impressions and defensive teams with things like swords dance into u turn. as well as that, ur last move on those sets after u turn/sucker/first impression is completely open. most often you'll see swords dance or axe kick but ive also used brick break as a means of messing with screens teams, just about the only stop that offense has to lokix scyther besides tsareena pokemon. there's a small chance that would be manageable (very small mind) if that was the only option it had but obviously it isnt. just like sneasel it can abuse breloom sets - although a little differently. sub/toxic pheal sets - while shat on by gholdengo inheritors - can absolutely wreck defensive teams, houndstone sets are terrifying if your normal type gets too low and just like sneasel it benefits from ceruledge and gyarados sets and the utility they provide. it also benefits from new additions in the form of spidops because stakeout u turns are a lot of fun and incredibly competetive. ultimately just a braindead pokemon. spams priority moves and u turn and doesnt have to worry about a thing besides like espeeds and the rare accelerock users. get this fucker out of here lmao

:miraidon: :magneton: :girafarig: :bisharp: after these guys go things like bisharp, girafarig, miraidon and magneton still look scary as hell and may be the next additions to the chopping block, but at the moment these pokemon either dont feel all that restrictive at all (in bisharps and girafarigs case) or feel more like the symptom than the problem (in the case of the latter two) Currently i feel like electric types are far too good at the moment because the one good ground type (mudbray) is punished so hard by ursaring and scyther unless it runs a gyarados set and omits itself from access to reliable recovery, leaving it easy pickings for repeated u turns. I don't feel these pokemon would be broken at all - at least compared to our current gremlins - and i think should be totally fine for now once the big three discussed in this post go.

edit: feel as if i may as well dump some teams

:raboot: :primeape: :scyther: :girafarig: :misdreavus: :sneasel: cool team that basically stacks ursaring weaknesses and pairs them with a weird misdreavus set that kinda deals with everything it can do except dragon dance sets and primeape/tsareena which deals with dragon dance sets. giraf with clod is a really good special wall, checking most other giraf sets pretty well as well as most misdreavus sets and basically any gholdengo inheritor. scarf raboot is a lot of fun - most teams just arent prepared for its stabs because of a lack of good water types. it's also 4x resistant to first impression which is huge

:murkrow: :tinkatuff: :misdreavus: :mudbray: :scyther: :primeape: not an optimal team at all. bellibolt misdreavus was used as a way to cripple primeape/tsareena that worked a lot better in my head than it does in practice. vespiquen mudbray is a great pivot while lycanroc dusk murkrow has a grand total of 0 switchins lmao. corviknight tinkatuff is another idea that worked a lot better in my head but in most games itll check sneasel once, knock something off or defog and die, which is generally gonna be fine because of the offensive pressure the team can excert.

:primeape: :dunsparce: :ursaring: :toedscool: :mudbray: :raboot: garganape is a filthy pokemon lol. the rest of the team is pretty standard tbh - toedscool is the gholdengo inheritor because i really wanted knock off because of how much more dangerous glimmora sparce is with half the opponents normal types knocked off. the special bulk and speed also makes it a decent answer to most girafarig sets. raboot gallade really fits in with garganape since it tends to force in pokemon that cant touch it lol. vespiquen bray just provides an electric check and a pivot

Last edited:
Meowscarada (Primeape) @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
EVS: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch / Knock Off
- U-Turn
Stats:80/135/67/81/77/135 (Adds secondary Typing:Dark).

This is just aset that I run for my own reasons and what not.

However, I strongly believe that I may have stumbled upon the most unpredictable pokemon in Cross Evolution, with the combination of Primeape's and Meowscarada's movepool the sets you can come up with is almost endless I want say lol. Welp, Chan-dirge and Dun-sire ain't looking so unbreakable anymore.

EDIT: Oh btw, I was under the impression that revival blessing was banned until I saw a rabsca Crevo was in fact able to use Revival Blessing.

This made me come up with a Chansey and Pawmot combination. Not sure how good it'll be but I'll let y'all know when I enter a tour or something.

https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen9crossevolution-1763738496

Chansey x Pawmot in action!

Pawmot ( Chansey) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Ghost / Fairy
EVS: 4HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Soft-Boiled
- Revival Blessing
- Volt Switch / Healing Wish
- Nuzzle
Stats:255/45/35/55/125/70

This is the set that I used in the reply. Natural cure seems like the obvious choice here since it lets Chansey be a decent status absorber while also spreading statuses of its own in the form of Nuzzle. I find it downright stupid that you have the option to revive TWO fallen pokemon if one were to choose to run Healing Wish over momentum (V-Switch) on Chansey. In otherwords, even though I've battle only three times with this team, Chansey x Pawmot seems like a very very very GOOD combination and it's mainly due to revival blessing.

Rabsca (Dunsparce) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Fairy
EVS: 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVS: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Roost
- Revival Blessing
- Trick Room
- Tera Blast
Stats:134/70/95/145/107/60

I figured since Rabsca gives TR, why not build a TR team? And boy did this combination right here fit the bill lol. Nuff said here too.
i really don't like revival blessing being this widespread. is there a timetable on banning it?

ursaring, scyther and sneasel are all broken. i feel like everyone who plays or attempts to build in this meta already knows this, but i see fairly little discussion about them in this thread and i feel that - for this meta to not revolve around those 3 pokemon along with like primeape tsareena and random gyarados mons - all three of them need to go.

:sneasel: snease kinda just does what it always did - exploit its speed and power and great offensive typing. it was given another chance this gen w the banning of sleep moves and kings rock, but frankly sneasel has only gotten better because breloom sets are no longer the absolute undisputed best. they're still very good, make no mistake, and frankly focus sash sd/beat up lead sets are still absolutely terrifying and arguably broken in and of themselves given the lack of good fairy types to resist fighting/dark stabs, but the introduction of ceruledge sets to its repertoire (giving access to 4 immunities as well as some absolutely absurd coverage) along with the addition of terrastalisation just make it far too difficult to deal with. pair that with the possibility of gyarados sets or even some weirder shit like lycanroc dusk or houndstone and it becomes almost impossible to tell at team preview what exactly you're going up against and a wrong guess will lead to almost instant punishment as soon as it hits the field. it's restrictive in the builder and almost impossible to play around and should immediately go.

:ursaring: ursaring kinda only has one great thing it can evolve into (dragonite), but frankly its deep movepool, multitude of setup options, 180 base attack and respectable bulk just combine to create this absolute monster of a pokemon. Stab bellydrum + extreme speed on a pokemon with multiscale and 180 attack is ridiculous and singlehandedly mandates a ghost type on every team or else it will come in and it will set up. It doesn't matter if the pokemon itself is fairly one dimensional if it claims two kills every game, is not weak to any priority that it doesn't just straight up out-prioritise itself and it honestly just fairly splashable (bulkier sets are still menaces while using their valuable resistances and ability to force out physical attackers to be a thorn in your opponents side, while offensive sets pair well with about everything). I think it's kind of a no brainer in terms of brokenness - requires such weirdly specific answers that it can always either cripple or work around anyway.

:scyther: scyther is kind of a weird hybrid between sneasel and ursaring - it combines ursarings ability to out prioritise and one shot half the metagame with sneasel's versatility and unpredictability. it's probably the primary reason that tsareena primeape is everywhere as its lokix set alone will just run over offensive teams with first impressions and defensive teams with things like swords dance into u turn. as well as that, ur last move on those sets after u turn/sucker/first impression is completely open. most often you'll see swords dance or axe kick but ive also used brick break as a means of messing with screens teams, just about the only stop that offense has to lokix scyther besides tsareena pokemon. there's a small chance that would be manageable (very small mind) if that was the only option it had but obviously it isnt. just like sneasel it can abuse breloom sets - although a little differently. sub/toxic pheal sets - while shat on by gholdengo inheritors - can absolutely wreck defensive teams, houndstone sets are terrifying if your normal type gets too low and just like sneasel it benefits from ceruledge and gyarados sets and the utility they provide. it also benefits from new additions in the form of spidops because stakeout u turns are a lot of fun and incredibly competetive. ultimately just a braindead pokemon. spams priority moves and u turn and doesnt have to worry about a thing besides like espeeds and the rare accelerock users. get this fucker out of here lmao

:miraidon: :magneton: :girafarig: :bisharp: after these guys go things like bisharp, girafarig, miraidon and magneton still look scary as hell and may be the next additions to the chopping block, but at the moment these pokemon either dont feel all that restrictive at all (in bisharps and girafarigs case) or feel more like the symptom than the problem (in the case of the latter two) Currently i feel like electric types are far too good at the moment because the one good ground type (mudbray) is punished so hard by ursaring and scyther unless it runs a gyarados set and omits itself from access to reliable recovery, leaving it easy pickings for repeated u turns. I don't feel these pokemon would be broken at all - at least compared to our current gremlins - and i think should be totally fine for now once the big three discussed in this post go.

edit: feel as if i may as well dump some teams

:raboot: :primeape: :scyther: :girafarig: :misdreavus: :sneasel: cool team that basically stacks ursaring weaknesses and pairs them with a weird misdreavus set that kinda deals with everything it can do except dragon dance sets and primeape/tsareena which deals with dragon dance sets. giraf with clod is a really good special wall, checking most other giraf sets pretty well as well as most misdreavus sets and basically any gholdengo inheritor. scarf raboot is a lot of fun - most teams just arent prepared for its stabs because of a lack of good water types. it's also 4x resistant to first impression which is huge

:murkrow: :tinkatuff: :misdreavus: :mudbray: :scyther: :primeape: not an optimal team at all. bellibolt misdreavus was used as a way to cripple primeape/tsareena that worked a lot better in my head than it does in practice. vespiquen mudbray is a great pivot while lycanroc dusk murkrow has a grand total of 0 switchins lmao. corviknight tinkatuff is another idea that worked a lot better in my head but in most games itll check sneasel once, knock something off or defog and die, which is generally gonna be fine because of the offensive pressure the team can excert.

:primeape: :dunsparce: :ursaring: :toedscool: :mudbray: :raboot: garganape is a filthy pokemon lol. the rest of the team is pretty standard tbh - toedscool is the gholdengo inheritor because i really wanted knock off because of how much more dangerous glimmora sparce is with half the opponents normal types knocked off. the special bulk and speed also makes it a decent answer to most girafarig sets. raboot gallade really fits in with garganape since it tends to force in pokemon that cant touch it lol. vespiquen bray just provides an electric check and a pivot

Agreed on Scyther's/Sneasel's assessments. Surprised no one mentioned Sneasel x Sawsbucks yet, the motherfucker spams serene grace icicle crash/Bite till no end. It's a stupid way to win games by killing Pokemons due to pure luck, even great defensive crevos like Dunsparce x Quagsire can get rekt lol absurd. legitimately made me take a break from doing CE battles because Sneasel and Scyther truly lack any real counters and it's stressing to have these two at the front of my mind when I'm team-building.

I have genuine mixed thoughts about Ursaring, personally unsure if it's banworthy or not speaking from experience. Like, you claim Ursaring (Dnite - Bdrum set in particular) mandates a ghost type, I'm wondering if you're talking about Ursaring against HO (I ask because you bring up Primeape x Tsareena a lot as if that it's only other check)? If not, I have to disagree then because other playstyles have a great amount of answers for dealing with Ursaring x Dnite (speaking on balance mainly, but I assume Stall has more than enough to deal with it too). Honestly, It's how I encountered Dunsparce x Quagsire as it pretty much ate everything I threw at it. Chansey x Skeledirge probably walls it too assuming it lacks Crunch or Hippopotas x Gyarados (or almost anything that already naturally have recovery that can crevo into Gyarados) also checks Ursaring pretty well, Bulky Water types that Crevo into toxapex/avalugg with phasing etc etc none of these are weird or out the ordinary either.

Point I'm making here is checking/countering Ursaring x Dnite doesn't necessarily require some weird tricks or mandates you to a ghost type.

Speaking of Ursaring though ->
Luxray (Ursaring) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVS: 252 HP / 252 ATk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVS: 0 Spe
- Facade
- Earthquake / Hammer Arm
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
Stats:110/165/105/110/105/65
Abilities: Rivalry/Intimidate/Guts

Recall to when I said I have mixed thoughts when it comes to Ursaring? Crap like this is why. This might be a stretch to you guys, but I think this set is much harder to counter than Dnite since A. Any form of status just further enhance its strength making it a prime status absorber in a meta where heal bell/aromatherapy etc are gone. B. Unaware users aren't able to ignore the boost from Guts and phasers become even less effective and C. It doesn't suffer the same 4mss as Dnite, allowing Ursaring to hit almost everything it needs to hit. It actually even gains quick attack from Luxray assuming you're into that (personally from my experience, using this set on bulky offense/TR Ursaring actually appreciates the extra coverage over priority).

I hope Scyther/Sneasel get the boot first and we can see how everything plays out.

i really don't like revival blessing being this widespread. is there a timetable on banning it?

Seriously though! Now that I found out revival blessing isn't banned I use it on ALL my teams. That can't be healthy, right? Lol

revival blessing isn't a huge problem at all imo. practically the only pokemon that will use it often is girafarig evolving into rabsca since nothing really appreciates gaining the psychic type and anything that can evolve into pawmot (primeape is probably by far the best candidate here) contributes far less effectively to its team in other ways in not running something else, primarily due to pawmots lacking power when compared to other popular stage three evolutions physical attackers use such as tsareena, gallade or even meowscarada
Agreed on Scyther's/Sneasel's assessments. Surprised no one mentioned Sneasel x Sawsbucks yet, the motherfucker spams serene grace icicle crash/Bite till no end. It's a stupid way to win games by killing Pokemons due to pure luck, even great defensive crevos like Dunsparce x Quagsire can get rekt lol absurd. legitimately made me take a break from doing CE battles because Sneasel and Scyther truly lack any real counters and it's stressing to have these two at the front of my mind when I'm team-building.

I have genuine mixed thoughts about Ursaring, personally unsure if it's banworthy or not speaking from experience. Like, you claim Ursaring (Dnite - Bdrum set in particular) mandates a ghost type, I'm wondering if you're talking about Ursaring against HO (I ask because you bring up Primeape x Tsareena a lot as if that it's only other check)? If not, I have to disagree then because other playstyles have a great amount of answers for dealing with Ursaring x Dnite (speaking on balance mainly, but I assume Stall has more than enough to deal with it too). Honestly, It's how I encountered Dunsparce x Quagsire as it pretty much ate everything I threw at it. Chansey x Skeledirge probably walls it too assuming it lacks Crunch or Hippopotas x Gyarados (or almost anything that already naturally have recovery that can crevo into Gyarados) also checks Ursaring pretty well, Bulky Water types that Crevo into toxapex/avalugg with phasing etc etc none of these are weird or out the ordinary either.

Point I'm making here is checking/countering Ursaring x Dnite doesn't necessarily require some weird tricks or mandates you to a ghost type.

Brave Nature
- Facade
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Recall to when I said I have mixed thoughts when it comes to Ursaring? Crap like this is why. This might be a stretch to you guys, but I think this set is much harder to counter than Dnite since A. Any form of status just further enhance its strength making it a prime status absorber in a meta where heal bell/aromatherapy etc are gone. B. Unaware users aren't able to ignore the boost from Guts and phasers become even less effective and C. It doesn't suffer the same 4mss as Dnite, allowing Ursaring to hit almost everything it needs to hit. It actually even gains quick attack from Luxray assuming you're into that (personally from my experience, using this set on bulky offense/TR Ursaring actually appreciates the extra coverage over priority).

I hope Scyther/Sneasel get the boot first and we can see how everything plays out.

Seriously though! Now that I found out revival blessing isn't banned I use it on ALL my teams. That can't be healthy, right? Lol
i really dont find any playstyle other than offense to be particularly good right now. stall teams just provide free rage fist boosts for garganape and if quagsparce is your unaware pokemon you will either have your recovery move pp stalled by drain punch or be forced to waste your terrastalisation option. additionally, quagsparce taking up your dunsparce slot on fatter teams means you lose access to the far superior bulk of something like toxapex sparce. given that dunsparce is by far the best defensive prevo in this meta, that's a pretty huge opportunity cost just to check one pokemon in dnite ursaring. also pretty much everything you mentioned besides quag sparce is easily two shotted by belly drum sets (see calcs), and chansey dirge walling non crunch sets doesnt really matter as it should pretty much always be running crunch lol.
+6 252+ Atk Ursaring Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shellos: 400-472 (91.7 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO - Avalugg Shellos
+5 252+ Atk Ursaring Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippopotas: 454-535 (92.6 - 109.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO - Gyara Hippopotas - intim factored in

The Luxray set you shared is interesting but it kinda just is too slow and frail to get anything done lol. unless you're running full stall it's going to struggle to come in more than once a game and the residual chip from the burn is just a killing blow to it's already lacking longevity

revival blessing isn't a huge problem at all imo.
i genuinely don't see how anyone can actually believe this. please explain in detail how a move that revives a whole-ass pokemon isn't a problem when everything has access to it. even if most things aren't going to be running it, the fact that anything can is the problem. not everything was running king's rock but the main problem with it is that anything could run it, even though it was suboptimal on every mon except possibly cloyster

Last edited:

Brave Nature
- Facade
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Sneasel has always been one of the first Pokemon to be axed in Cross Evolution, and it is easy to see why. It has the stats and the offensive typing to be a genuine threat in its own right, and then getting access to better movepools, abilities, and typing. I will not be surprised if the mods decide to ban Sneasel alongside the usual suspects (normally Chansey as an evolution, though that doesn't seem to be brought up much at the moment.)

Now, I was a fan of CE Scyther last generation, where it was a viable, but not broken, option in team building. On paper, Scyther has not changed that much. However, as much as it pains me to admit it, the changes to the meta AROUND Scyther have helped Scyther itself become a much better Pokemon. It has access to very good evolutions, especially Lokix, which seems to provide tools that help make it better. The fact that the base form is no longer limited by its own moveset also really changes these two Pokemon, though Scyther probably still likes having Close Combat and U-Turn on most of its sets regardless.

However, I am torn. The existence of Bisharp bases and Gholdengo evolutions I think makes Scyther a balanced part of the meta so far. Gholdengo especially is such a powerful option, that pretty much every team feels obligated to bring one. I don't know if Scyther is the scariest thing here. If I was looking at what would need to be investigated, my main two would be Sneasel as a base, and Gholdengo as an evolution. With those two gone, the meta would start to shift, and then at that point we could see if the scary bases like Scyther, Bisharp, Ursaring, Girafarig, etc are large enough of threats to be investigated.

Meanwhile, as per the above post, I don't think Ursaring is as bad as people think. The meta is still young enough that we need to adapt to certain threats, and bulky rock and steel types could be just as much of an answer as Ghost types or Primeape/Tsareena. If I was to look at that Ursaring/Luxray, maybe think about switching one of that Ice Punch for Agility, to help you get the jump on your opposition.

revival blessing isn't a huge problem at all imo. practically the only pokemon that will use it often is girafarig evolving into rabsca since nothing really appreciates gaining the psychic type and anything that can evolve into pawmot (primeape is probably by far the best candidate here) contributes far less effectively to its team in other ways in not running something else, primarily due to pawmots lacking power when compared to other popular stage three evolutions physical attackers use such as tsareena, gallade or even meowscarada

i really dont find any playstyle other than offense to be particularly good right now. stall teams just provide free rage fist boosts for garganape and if quagsparce is your unaware pokemon you will either have your recovery move pp stalled by drain punch or be forced to waste your terrastalisation option. additionally, quagsparce taking up your dunsparce slot on fatter teams means you lose access to the far superior bulk of something like toxapex sparce. given that dunsparce is by far the best defensive prevo in this meta, that's a pretty huge opportunity cost just to check one pokemon in dnite ursaring. also pretty much everything you mentioned besides quag sparce is easily two shotted by belly drum sets (see calcs), and chansey dirge walling non crunch sets doesnt really matter as it should pretty much always be running crunch lol.
+6 252+ Atk Ursaring Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shellos: 400-472 (91.7 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO - Avalugg Shellos
+5 252+ Atk Ursaring Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippopotas: 454-535 (92.6 - 109.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO - Gyara Hippopotas - intim factored in

The Luxray set you shared is interesting but it kinda just is too slow and frail to get anything done lol. unless you're running full stall it's going to struggle to come in more than once a game and the residual chip from the burn is just a killing blow to it's already lacking longevity
Idk how to even remotely build stall, but I doubt they suffer in the way you're trying to portray them as, lost a tour match playing against one that had Sparce/Chansey/sliggoo and I forgot the rest honestly lol. But regardless, Ursaring x Dnite definitely have counters/solid checks which was the point anyways, by far more than Sneasel/Scyther does.

LOL @ Dunsparce x Quagsire "checkng only one Pkmn, huge opportunity cost cuz no Pex " when in fact the Quagsire set literally check or counters plethora of physical sweepers in the likes of sneasel sets, none Lokix Scyther sets, almost all of Ursaring sets, almost all of Primeape sets, almost all of stantler sets, almost all of Murkrow sets etc etc too many to name. Or how about when Sparce is running clodsire/Frosmoth? Shutting down every single special sweeper in its tracks. I mean I'm getting a slight impression that you're acting as if Quagsire or anything that isn't Pex should be the last thing you give to Dunsparce lol. Dunsparce is a role compressing defensive blessing regardless if it's running Pex or not, and far from being waste for Tera. Heck, if it wasn't for Tera even its Pex set wouldn't be able to check the pokemon I named either lmaoo!

And no, Ursaring x Dnite does not always run crunch. That's the point of it having major 4mss it's going to be walled/checked by one thing or the other, it's up to you to choose which hence why neither you or I speak for everyone when running that setup. Btw, how is 110/105/105 "frail"? Slow? Yes, but that's not different than every last one of Ursaring sets not named Dragapult. But frail? that's better bulk than what Primeape x Tsareena has iirc, I also mentioned me running that set on bulky offense (later TR since Dunsparce x Rabsca is actually godly). If you prefer something else cool, just say that.

Idk how to even remotely build stall, but I doubt they suffer in the way you're trying to portray them as, lost a tour match playing against one that had Sparce/Chansey/sliggoo and I forgot the rest honestly lol. But regardless, Ursaring x Dnite definitely have counters/solid checks which was the point anyways, by far more than Sneasel/Scyther does.

LOL @ Dunsparce x Quagsire "checkng only one Pkmn, huge opportunity cost cuz no Pex " when in fact the Quagsire set literally check or counters plethora of physical sweepers in the likes of sneasel sets, none Lokix Scyther sets, almost all of Ursaring sets, almost all of Primeape sets, almost all of stantler sets, almost all of Murkrow sets etc etc too many to name. Or how about when Sparce is running clodsire/Frosmoth? Shutting down every single special sweeper in its tracks. I mean I'm getting a slight impression that you're acting as if Quagsire or anything that isn't Pex should be the last thing you give to Dunsparce lol. Dunsparce is a role compressing defensive blessing regardless if it's running Pex or not, and far from being waste for Tera. Heck, if it wasn't for Tera even its Pex set wouldn't be able to check the pokemon I named either lmaoo!

And no, Ursaring x Dnite does not always run crunch. That's the point of it having major 4mss it's going to be walled/checked by one thing or the other, it's up to you to choose which hence why neither you or I speak for everyone when running that setup. Btw, how is 110/105/105 "frail"? Slow? Yes, but that's not different than every last one of Ursaring sets not named Dragapult. But frail? that's better bulk than what Primeape x Tsareena has iirc, I also mentioned me running that set on bulky offense (later TR since Dunsparce x Rabsca is actually godly). If you prefer something else cool, just say that.
hi - welcome to smogon! sparce x quagsire is just ass - the point wasnt that pex on sparce is mandatory the point was that at least some better evolution (like clod or frosmoth as you mentioned - neither of whom check ursaring) is going to be prefarable but the existance of ursaring forces quag on fatter builds. Also saying that quag x pex counters any scyther set is just misleading - especially if it isn't toxapex - as you just get repeatedly u turned on and worn down. It can't deal with breloom sneasel and murkrow can just 2 shot with brave bird if it's lycanroc dusk. Also what exactly is ursaring/dnite checked by if it runs crunch? There are pretty much no viable steel types in this metagame off the top of my head (tinkatuff can evolve into a couple of things but i've truthfully yet to see it put in solid work against anything other than ursaring, and even then ursaring can forego roost for earthquake if that's going to be a huge issue) and everything that isn't a resist just gets its ass handed to it by extreme speed.

110/105/105 is frail when you account for the fact you're weak to every hazard, have no resists, take 6 percent chip every turn and trick room is ass so you're going to have to take a hit. Unlike the most common ursaring set in dnite, luxray lacks priority to make up for its speed issues. this contrasts with primeape tsareena who doesn't need to leverage his bulk half as much owing to its dark resist, priority immunity, and good speed with choice scarf. if you want to evolve luxray into ursaring that's cool but it's very suboptimal. hope this helps!
i genuinely don't see how anyone can actually believe this. please explain in detail how a move that revives a whole-ass pokemon isn't a problem when everything has access to it. even if most things aren't going to be running it, the fact that anything can is the problem. not everything was running king's rock but the main problem with it is that anything could run it, even though it was suboptimal on every mon except possibly cloyster
put simply the abusers with one exception (two if you want to entertain dunsparce/rabsca) are ass. it also isn't really an inherently uncompetitive mechanic imo, but if you like you can explain in detail why you think it is. while in a literal sense everything can have it, almost everything else will want to run something else.

it also isn't really an inherently uncompetitive mechanic imo, but if you like you can explain in detail why you think it is.
it punishes opponents for playing well. if you outplay someone and ko a mon that was a big threat to your team, but your opponent has revival blessing, they can just bring it back. if your team only has one check to a mon (there's no team that has multiple checks to everything so this is an inevitability) and you beat that mon, your opponent can just bring it back later once your check is gone. this is especially troubling in an ubers-based meta, where nearly-uncheckable pokemon are all over the place. i'll gladly sacrifice a teamslot for a revival blessing user if it means i get to use scyther gyarados twice

hi - welcome to smogon! sparce x quagsire is just ass - the point wasnt that pex on sparce is mandatory the point was that at least some better evolution (like clod or frosmoth as you mentioned - neither of whom check ursaring) is going to be prefarable but the existance of ursaring forces quag on fatter builds. Also saying that quag x pex counters any scyther set is just misleading - especially if it isn't toxapex - as you just get repeatedly u turned on and worn down. It can't deal with breloom sneasel and murkrow can just 2 shot with brave bird if it's lycanroc dusk. Also what exactly is ursaring/dnite checked by if it runs crunch? There are pretty much no viable steel types in this metagame off the top of my head (tinkatuff can evolve into a couple of things but i've truthfully yet to see it put in solid work against anything other than ursaring, and even then ursaring can forego roost for earthquake if that's going to be a huge issue) and everything that isn't a resist just gets its ass handed to it by extreme speed.

110/105/105 is frail when you account for the fact you're weak to every hazard, have no resists, take 6 percent chip every turn and trick room is ass so you're going to have to take a hit. Unlike the most common ursaring set in dnite, luxray lacks priority to make up for its speed issues. this contrasts with primeape tsareena who doesn't need to leverage his bulk half as much owing to its dark resist, priority immunity, and good speed with choice scarf. if you want to evolve luxray into ursaring that's cool but it's very suboptimal. hope this helps!

put simply the abusers with one exception (two if you want to entertain dunsparce/rabsca) are ass. it also isn't really an inherently uncompetitive mechanic imo, but if you like you can explain in detail why you think it is. while in a literal sense everything can have it, almost everything else will want to run something else.
Thanks for the welcome! Even if it's sarcasm ;)

Anywho,

1.) You think Quagsparce is ass, and I came to the conclusion that your opinion is just ass. Let's move on since we both clearly see things differently.

2.) Never once said Quagsparce checks all of Scyther sets or that its Frosmoth/Clodsire sets do too, was very obviously pointing out that Dunsparce is capable of FAR more than just running a Pex set for simply " mOrE rAw BuLk" lol, once Again, it's YOUR opinion that Sparce would rather "run something better" when you don't speak for me or anyone else when they're team-building. Edit: Peep how I put "almost" in front of everything that Quagsparce counters/checks. I learned real quick in CE that it's impossible to completely COUNTER everything. My last reply is also unedited which makes this even funnier, dunno why you felt the need to put words in my mouth but regardless, you went on a little tantrum for absolutely no reason. Congrats!

3.) Cool. Run something else on Ursaring. You clearly have your own reason or what not, no big deal.

it punishes opponents for playing well. if you outplay someone and ko a mon that was a big threat to your team, but your opponent has revival blessing, they can just bring it back. if your team only has one check to a mon (there's no team that has multiple checks to everything so this is an inevitability) and you beat that mon, your opponent can just bring it back later once your check is gone. this is especially troubling in an ubers-based meta, where nearly-uncheckable pokemon are all over the place. i'll gladly sacrifice a teamslot for a revival blessing user if it means i get to use scyther gyarados twice
Thanks for the welcome! Even if it's sarcasm ;)

Anywho,

1.) You think Quagsparce is ass, and I came to the conclusion that your opinion is just ass. Let's move on since we both clearly see things differently.

2.) Never once said Quagsparce checks all of Scyther sets or that its Frosmoth/Clodsire sets do too, was very obviously pointing out that Dunsparce is capable of FAR more than just running a Pex set for simply " mOrE rAw BuLk" lol, once Again, it's YOUR opinion that Sparce would rather "run something better" when you don't speak for me or anyone else when they're team-building. Edit: Peep how I put "almost" in front of everything that Quagsparce counters/checks. I learned real quick in CE that it's impossible to completely COUNTER everything. My last reply is also unedited which makes this even funnier, dunno why you felt the need to put words in my mouth but regardless, you went on a little tantrum for absolutely no reason. Congrats!

3.) Cool. Run something else on Ursaring. You clearly have your own reason or what not, no big deal.
*anyhoo

i frankly don't understand what you mean by "it's YOUR opinion that Sparce would rather "run something better" when you don't speak for me or anyone else when they're team-building." of course it is, and it's correct. quagsparce is forced onto teams other than hard stall to deal with ursaring and it would almost always run something that can actually exert offensive pressure or pivot. the rest of that paragraph makes absolutely no sense to me tbh, but you seem to be saying that you were saying quagsparce checked "almost" every variant of certain pokemon, with emphasis being put on the word almost. while you're right in saying that quagsparce checks a lot of sets that those pokemon can run, it just doesn't check the actually good sets :heart:

Dragonite (Ursaring) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Belly Drum
- Crunch
- Roost

Here is Linoone 2.0. It's pretty self explanatory, Belly Drum, then spam E Speeds and against Ghost types use Crunch. And it also has Roost, just to add fuel to the fire.

Last edited:
This page has been quiet for a while, but there has been the occasional Cross Evolution battle or Tournament on Showdown. And I think we need to talk about one of the biggest threats to ever face this meta.

:sv/gholdengo:

At a glance, you wouldn't think that this pile of cash would be as powerful as it is. But this is such a strong evolution that it was become practically mandatory on every team. Let's take a quick look at why.

1) Typing. Gholdengo gives every Pokemon that evolves into it the coveted Steel/Ghost typing. This is incredible defensively, allowing it to have a defensive leg up against a lot of the strong moves being thrown around the tier, only being weak Ground, Fire, Dark, and Ghost. Almost every other type does reduced or zero damage to it. Three immunities is nothing to scoff at.

2) Speed. Gholdengo is the second-fastest evolution in the game, being only one point slower than Jolteon. This allows it to beat out a lot of previously top-tier speed threats, such as Noivern.

3) Ability. Good as Gold is tremendous in keeping it healthy and safe. A big reason a lot of the meta is hyper-offense at the moment is that Gholdengo forces it to be, by being immune to most status moves your opponent would throw at you. Just like in OU, being immune to Rapid Spin, Mortal Spin, and Defog makes it very easy to use hazards in your favour and prevent your opponent from clearing them out.

4) Stats and movepool. Gholdengo gives a whopping 58 special attack, as well as the boosting move Nasty Plot. When paired with its great STAB combo of Make It Rain + Shadow Ball/Hex, this thing can deal a lot of damage. Throw in a coverage move, such as Thunderbolt or Dazzling Gleam, and you have yourself a mon that threatens a lot of your opposition.

But wait, there's more! Gholdengo also gives 30 Attack! While not nearly as good as the Special Attacking sets it is intended for, it does give access to Iron Head and Low Kick, and a good physical attacker base probably already has some good moves of their own to use as well.

But that's not all! Gholdengo also gives some utility. 42 HP and ~20 in each of the defenses might not be much, but on the right Pokemon it can use that well when paired with the traits mentioned above. It has access to Recover, Dual Screens, and Memento. This is a lot of tools that allow this one evolution to have some really diverse types of gameplay.

In conclusion, I apologize for this rant, but a lot of this needed to be said. Gholdengo is strong, it is fast, and it is decently bulky thanks to its typing and toolkit. And don't forget: this can be added to any Stage-1 Pokemon in the game. Gholdengo is already a serious threat in OU, and in a lot of other metas right now. This OM lets us give that power to to Pokemon that are significantly stronger than Gimmighoul. I would strongly advise that this monster's presence in this meta is over-centralizing and should be looked at.

Last edited:

DosDogs

I like Cross Evolution
is a Pre-Contributor
what do you guys think of this Chansey?

Tsareena (Chansey) @ Leftovers
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Tera Type: Ghost/Water/Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
Calm Nature
- Chilling Water
- Soft-Boiled
- Rapid Spin
- Protect

And this dunsparce?

Clodsire (Dunsparce) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Recover
- Hyper Drill

what do you guys think of this Chansey?

Tsareena (Chansey) @ Leftovers
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
Calm Nature
- Chilling Water
- Soft-Boiled
- Rapid Spin
- Protect

And this dunsparce?

Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Recover
- Hyper Drill
Dunsparce probably doesn’t need protect. Otherwise good. Chansey is ok. (Probably doesn’t need protect either)

DosDogs

I like Cross Evolution
is a Pre-Contributor
so is this dunsparce better?

Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Coil

F8CBA0EE-E0BE-4A24-BBC1-35227C97BA7E.jpeg

so from this image alone, we're getting a drought user, two prankster mons, a sticky web setter, and milotic. anyone got some heat sets for the post-dlc age?

DosDogs

I like Cross Evolution
is a Pre-Contributor
Wait, Ninetails is back! Commencing celebration!

also, how can i improve this mouse

Toxtricity (Tandemaus) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shift Gear
- Population Bomb
- Bite
- Fire Punch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)