CAP Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to find matches but no one has ever been on when I am. I live in GMT-5. I hope I could battle someone.
I'm in GMT -5, and I'm on quite a bit on weekdays. Around 3-4 I'm almost always on, and then assorted times after that until 11ish. Just come one #capbattle and see if we're on.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reporting a bug that occasionally when I play local 2 player (hooray for dual keyboard input), one one or two random CAP's and random attacks, I hit the button and they freeze like that. e.g. Revenankh's weak Punishment or using Weak Attack to break out of Rest makes him freeze and you can't do anything until they attack you.

Not that it majorly affects me, it's just a tad annoying.

Okay uh

Rev can use 5A 2A 2B 24C against Syclant (and probably others, but I haven't tried it against them) for a ton of damage. I know Rev's combos are supposed to be strong and all, but that does the same amount of damage as Punishment for no super bar at all and has more range. Serious balance problems here.

Also, I did this in "practice" with my C key set for both strong attack and player 2's jump an dit still worked. You can't even jump out if the Rev player has good timing.

Good find, Lurk.

For people who don't get that notation, it's standing weak, crouching weak, crouching medium, Power Whip.

It's something I'd like to test with you next time you're online as I've set the cpu to jump only, recreated the situation, and found I am not able to grab the jumping Syclant. A character is not grab-able while in hitstun, nor can they be grabbed as soon as they initiate their jumping animation, even if they haven't left the ground yet. Unless I'm missing something, the player should be able to avoid Rev's Power Whip if they jump away after getting hit with the cr.med.
What I'd like to test however is how practical that is to time in a human vs human match and if the online lag creates an unfair bias one way or the other.

Thanks for you work, man. If this turns out to be a real problem in a human vs human match, I'll tone down that set up appropriately.

ZystraL, that's the first time I've heard of that bug. I'm not sure what the problem is here. Perhaps set the buttons to distinguish between Player 1 and Player 2 because they are the same by default.

CAP Battle v03 is progressing well so far. I still don't want to give any specific date, but I expect the release will be exciting with all the new characters planned for it. I will see what I can do to make match-making easier as I understand it isn't immediately convenient for everyone to go through irc everytime they want to see if anyone is online. For those of you who do have irc and want to play some real live humans, the channel is open and there's usually at least one or two of us hanging out. Channel #capbattle on server irc.synirc.net

Finally, here are a couple of (overdue) recordings featuring MGX and Xaqwais.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT5ABq-PfYg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYLsj-5KtDw

Guys, if you have recorded any matches that you want me to put up, please send me a PM.

Will you be putting in any other discarded close runner up designs? Your Cyclohm, or the alternate stratagem (the bird statue one, I can't remember the artist :x) both looked amazing.

The problem with Rev is for any combo, its pretty hard to land the inital hit due to either fixed ranges such as Shadow Punch combo which can almost easily be avoided by simply blocking or dashing. The standing weak combo is not a 100% doable, im sure the person can escape as it has happened to me a lot of times.

Id say the bets Rev combo is the Strong Shadow Punch -> Weak Shadow Punch -> Standing Strong -> Back Medium (Raise to Ra) -> Air Grab, which chops off nearly 60% ish off syclant, which is quite a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g01cBdwPa4
What's this?! Doesn't look like any version of CAP Battle that I've seen!

In regards to future bosses. I'd actually like to put up a poll in the near future (mods willing) featuring some of the runner ups from past CAP Projects of designs that have been popular, that I think would work well in a fighter and that wouldn't be complete suicide to try to animate. Some possible entries might be my own fat dragon, calad's stone statue, wyverii's crane, doug's skelebot, smogimp and others. Haven't completely run through all the polls yet as these are just off the top of my head.

Anyway, this was just a little update to show that progress on CAP Battle V03 is coming along, and I look forward to releasing it as soon as I can!

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I LOVE IT!

Might be a tad overpowered though, but I suppose we'll see when it gets released! :P

Twister
Tri Attack - Three bolts above his head
Thunder Shock - the long range bolt of electricity
Static - Special ability button
Thunderbolt/Thunder (ferget which) Super move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g01cBdwPa4
What's this?! Doesn't look like any version of CAP Battle that I've seen!

In regards to future bosses. I'd actually like to put up a poll in the near future (mods willing) featuring some of the runner ups from past CAP Projects of designs that have been popular, that I think would work well in a fighter and that wouldn't be complete suicide to try to animate. Some possible entries might be my own fat dragon, calad's stone statue, wyverii's crane, doug's skelebot, smogimp and others. Haven't completely run through all the polls yet as these are just off the top of my head.

Anyway, this was just a little update to show that progress on CAP Battle V03 is coming along, and I look forward to releasing it as soon as I can!
Wow.

Epic win.

Can you do one with Kitsunoh or Colossoil?

EDIT: And bosses I'd like, in addition to the ones you put:

Doug's CAP3 entry (on his featured page. Didn't make it past prelims, but it looks AWESOME to fight)
The 3rd place CAP8 Pokemon.
The second-placer of CAP2.
The one man-bear-pig entry from CAP9.
The one armadillo entry from CAP9. (Play Sonic music as this guy's boss theme.)
Checkmate (my CAP9 entry. Hey, it got a few followers, and I probably made the most support art of ANY entry, especially about movepool. Not trying to advert, just saying I think it would be a good enemy.

Besides, you could probably make a REALLY good Attack Order special animation in cartoon style. Just saying.)

If we're doing requests for runners-up, I'd like to put one in for my avatar, one of the designs for CAP 7 :P

I'd advocate mine simply because of the unique movement style. implied by a bouncing jack-in-the-box.

Other than that, I'm not much more than a dabbler who can't beat arcade mode, sadly. I kinda wish I'd get to see Vitalimar outside of youtube videos.

Vitalimar will be a playable character in the next version. Perhaps this will be a trend for any future bosses included.
I really liked Wyverii's jack in a box submission, but would like to limit the number of possible entries per artist to one. I'd also prefer this thread didn't become a request forum for potential future entries, though I'd be happy to consider requests via PM. I certainly can't remember all the cool entries CAP has had over the past two years, though the site's gallery does help.

edit @ Solstice: no date yet. I'm still working on characters, and would like to add more stages as well.

Xaq, its thunder.
Somthing not demonstrated by the video is the twister plus Thunder combo, however I guess c! wanted to show off a few of his newer moves and animations.

Congratulations to Doug! His 'Skelebot' submission was voted into the position of CBv03's final boss. I hope you all look forward to seeing him in action.

More Cyclohm, Kitsunoh, and Colossoil vids in this thread to come!

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
[insert triumphant music here] Skelebot was for Kitsunoh, right?

Edit: NOOOOOOO... CAP Battle isn't compatible for Macs.
Edit Edit: Are you going to be updating the Index Page to include the CaPs after Arghonaut?

Cartoons, shouldn't scylant be skinnier and levitating? Strategem should also be levitating. Scylant is bigger than cyclohm.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Cartoons, shouldn't scylant be skinnier and levitating? Strategem should also be levitating. Scylant is bigger than cyclohm.
Syclant has Mountaineer and Compoundeyes for abilities, so I don't really see how it Levitates... Stratagem, on the other hand, might be Levitating, but then again, it can have Technician as an ability...

Is there any practice mode in this where you can try to get the hang of fighting using a given CAPMon without being mauled by the computer? I realize that in versus you can battle yourself, but I'd rather just be able to beat up some dummy enemy that never dies to get the hang of its moves.

This is pretty cool, though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)