CAP 4 CAP 4 - Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Manospide, Jazzdyne and Polypalm are really cool names. I had some ideas, but now I think they'd be pretty lame compared to those three >_>

Not every Pokémon name has to be a combination of two words, you know. Just think about Gardevoir and Kyogre!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/918915/29343

Kyogre- (kai-orca) I'm told that "kai" has something to do with water, and the general consensus is that the "ogre" is for "orca," which would make Kyogre the "water-whale."
Gardevoir- ([re]garde-voir) Old Gardi's 100% French. The roots mean, "a guard," and, "to see," respectively. Psychics are known for their abilities to "see" the unseen (or the future) and Gardevoir is said to protect its trainer from any threat with its powers, like a guard. The "garde" could also be from "regarde," which further emphasizes the "looking" and "seeing" that psychics do.

Tarhandtula? lol but no, all joking aside... (if someone else likes that take it as your own submission, I just wanted to say it as a pun/joke.)

Before I go onto my own, I have to say... whoever suggested Dextarach, might want to try Dextarak instead for the same phonetics without much confusion. (They did that with Spinarak, so...)

Haracknee
hand + arachne + knee, simple but complex. The kind of names i like coming up with :)

I'll add my second when I come up with it, I can't think of one right now...

Well since it's part ground how about the use of some ground-esque words like terrain.

Terachnid? (Tear - ack - nid)
terrain + arachnid

Vielhand is german and means "Muchhand"
Mangarmar - "Många" ( a lot ), armar ( arms ) swedish :P

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Betelgeuse

It's the name of a star cluster. Beetlejuice would be preferable, I suppose, but it's been used so many times before, and in any case, it's one letter too long and Beetljuice looks silly. Plus, the star cluster's name is better because this Pokémon is just so astronomically awesome! :happybrain:
No.
Not every Pokémon name has to be a combination of two words, you know. Just think about Gardevior and Kyogre!
From Bulbapedia:
Gardevoir's name may be a combination of garde (French for "guard") and devoir (French for "to be required to"). This is reflected on its Dex data, which explains how Gardevoir will protect its Trainer even at the cost of its own life. Its Japanese name may be taken to mean さあ、ナイト saa, naito ("come, night").

Kyogre's name can be broken up into 海 kai, ocean, and orca, a species of dolphin. Its name is not likely to have been derived directly from ogre, which are mythological land beasts. It is worth noting that without the last syllable, Kyogre spells out 海王 kaiō, which are the first two characters in 海王星 Kaiōsei, Neptune.

Gardevoir has a french origin, something like seer. Does that sound complex? Foreign names arent always complex, and no offense, but Handaddy just sounds too fanboyish and not thought out.
Agreed as well, actually. I only suggested it because I know there are a lot of people who prefer simpler names. I prefer the ones kind of in between the complex etymological roots and the pathetically obvious names (Seel, Dewgong, Krabby, anyone?). You're right, Gardevoir really isn't complex, it comes from two common French terms, and it sounds a bit mystical, like the Pokemon itself. But there have also been names suggested in here (and I've seen some really out there ones on the past CAP's), that don't roll off of the tongue very nicely, and who have meanings that no sane person would have bothered looking for in the first place.

Right now, I think my favorite name is Dextarach, but that's IMO. You don't have to look too far to find the meaning, nor is it a pain to say.

My submission is bery simple and obvious.

Manuspider

Manus (Greek for "hand") + spider.

I don't really like how it rolls off the tounge though.

I know that people are against the whole "octo" thing because of Octillary, but Octoxin has been in my head lately.

There's also Dirtox, dirt+toxic obviously, but that might be too close to Dustox.

Liking the new rule Sunday, Pyroak naming was a disaster.

Digjit ( prounounced digg-jit, with a j sound like in "fridge" )
Dig + Digit, phoneticised. Also sounds like kind of like "Fidget". Short and simple. (:

Fidgitwix ( pronounced fidget-wicks )
Amalgam of "fidget" and "twitch". I thought it fit the flavour really well.

Side comment: Is it just me, or was naming this guy much easier than naming Pyroak for some reason?

I'm gonna submit a name. :O

Spiclay = Spi (first three letters of 'spider') + Clay (I thought that it looked a bit like a clay sculpture)

First I came up with 'Clayder' (Clay+last three letter of Spider) which I think sounds better, but I hated how that is so close to Claydol. I guess if people like that it would work.

Terraclaps or Traclaps or Terraclapse or Teraclapse

This is one submission, just not sure of the best way to spell it. Terra as in earth, claps as in the sound, and when you say Teraclaps you can also hear 'arach' in it. Adding an E on the end gives the impression of apocalypse or collapse which might be good or then again, not.

Scuporteon

pronounced (scu) (porsch) (eon)

I got this from support and scorpion (yeah i know he is a spider but scorpions are poisonous and it sounds better).

Oktoport

pronounced (octo) (port)

Greek word for 8 = Okto and Port is from Support.

Terrakumo (tear-uh-koom-oh) (terra + kumo)
A combination of the words Terra, Latin for Earth, and kumo, Japanese for spider.

Toxicumo/Toxikumo (tocks-i-koom-oh) (toxic + kumo)
This name is composed of the words toxic, a lethal chemical or substance, and kumo, again, Japanese for spider.

I actually came up with 26 different names, one for each letter of the alphabet, but this is good because it makes me cut out all the medocre ones and pick my two absolute favorites.

Betelgeuse

It's the name of a star cluster. Beetlejuice would be preferable, I suppose, but it's been used so many times before, and in any case, it's one letter too long and Beetljuice looks silly. Plus, the star cluster's name is better because this Pokémon is just so astronomically awesome! :happybrain:

Jazzdyne

Jazz hands. Dyne sounds cool. Fits the Pokémon, I think. Not every Pokémon name has to be a combination of two words, you know. Just think about Gardevior and Kyogre!

Jazzdyne fits the spider.
It gets my vote. :)

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Octopalm - Octo + Palm. I kinda like this one because it sounds like Octagon. =S

Gifterder - Gifterde is German for Poison Earth. I added an r for a claim to spider. I don't think this is a contender, since only people who know German would actually figure this.

Spiderhan(d) - Good God. Don't even further consider this.

Manorachnid - I decided I'd go Latin and combine Manos with Arachnid. It actually kind of sounds like "Man Arachnid" =S

Half of these or more are pure fail.

Isn't this supposed to be a name discussion thread?
So aren't we supposed to just throw names out there and discuss them?
Well, I think Tactrik would be a decent name.
Tact=contact and the like, the Latin root for touch.
Trik=Trick. He looks like he can trick someone. And I'm not sure about how I want the spelling.
Should I include the "c" or no?

I'm thinking Palmmire (palm -mire) sounds pokemon-ish. Pretty fitting flavorwise IMO. Looks like it's spelled weird, though. Maybe drop an M (Palmire)?

Palm, obvious.
Mire, 1 : wet spongy earth (as of a bog or marsh) 2 : heavy often deep mud or slush. In most of the sprites he's seen carrying muck with him so this isn't too far off. Could also relate more to the arachnid side of him also. (Great Marsh anyone? Just think of him high walking through it raised above all the muck. If you can find a scorpion there why not this guy?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)