CAP 32 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yu_IOTJ

formerly NoahIOTJ
is a Community Contributor
Final Submission

E3EB98B2-B52D-4EE3-9E75-B11E287DD665.png

A candlewax demon based on Candleabras, and Wax used in candles and stamp seals. Also loosely based on winter holidays with it’s candelabra inspiration, its jingle bells, and its body plan loosely resembling a sleigh and a tree.

Supporting Material

245F3861-F201-40E7-9B22-5BD911941388.jpeg A09186E5-AB8F-433E-AC9B-9F55F1174818.jpeg

Flavor Stuff

Last edited:
Final Submission

it's a heartburn creature <3

Supporting Material

cap32_supporting_art.png

moreover, i wanted to design something in a smiliar way to clefable or blissey (cute, fat, sort of non-descript creatures) but based off both symbolic and anatomical hearts. i feel as though the winning stat spread lined up pretty well here, clefable-esque. cheers!!

Last edited:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

tldr; an angel

Concept:
This design is based on the general depiction of angels, complete with halo and wings. The halo is more traditional in appearance, where it sits behind a person's head rather than on top of. The halo is also based on a "Solar Halo", which is an optical phenomenon where a ring of light appears behind an object. The halo also looks like an explosion. Its main body takes inspiration from priests and nuns, appearing to wear clothes such as a nun's headdress and a typical priest's long garments. It finally uses colors symbolic of reincarnation, being gold and white in the Buddhist culture.

Edits:
  • less harsh shading
  • pointer hat
  • hair curls are more curled
  • adjusted edge lights
  • fixed a weird bump on its right arm
Old Version

Last edited:
Final Submission

It's a pokemon based on lion dance! Combining aspects of Northern and Southern lions, inspiration also includes Pekingese of which Northern style design is based on. A very cute origin story for the pekingese is a lion falling in love with a butterfly, hence the butterfly design motifs.

Last edited:
Final Submission
jhyena take 3.5 FINAL.png

This little Fella is a fun-loving, chaotic, child-sized gremlin creature who loves to put on a show and to entertain others. Its hyper and erratic movements are imitated by many performers and dancers to entertain audiences. They adore attention and validation they get from others, but feel empty without it. They can be extremely stubborn and stuck-up, and take extremely competent trainers to wield. Given the time and patience, though, they form unbreakable bonds with their trainers and are extremely loyal to those they protect. However, hey hold grudges and are extremely wrathful to those who abandon them, though, no matter the reason.

In battle, they use an eclectic display to confuse their opponents. When they notice a weak spot, they strike with blinding ferocity.

Based on many African clowns and the basic idea of the Sacred Clown (https://www.britannica.com/topic/sacred-clown), and taking inspiration from Rungu, Tabwa, Chewa, and many other Eastern and Western African cultures.

Supporting Material

Espeed!.pnghyena supporting art.pngRef Sheet.png
(from left to right) Some flavor artwork, demonstration of it using some of the Defining Moves, and a reference sheet.

there's my sub :) gl everybody

Last edited:
Final Submission
CAP32Art_FINAL.png

A sunny little jellyfish :'D

My entry's a jellyfish that functions similar to a night light (specifically the ones you can place anywhere and simply press to turn on and off.) There isn't a particular kind of jellyfish it's based off of, but my initial drawing was of a moon jellyfish before I switched the head pattern to a sun to bring out the fire typing. Given the little clover-like pattern on moon jellyfish (which is actually their gonads and they can have more of) I think the sun pattern makes the design work pretty well :) as for the fairy type, it's cute and frilly with stars on it! What's not to like? :V

The sun pattern and the other pure white patterns are actually the hottest parts of its body. The small head within the jelly is basically the main organ/body that manages everything, and it can control the temperature or turn it off entirely (though the head always stays lit since it's what keeps it alive.) The stars at the end of its arms can become either dull or pointy for attacks, and its jelly body protects the main from harm.

Supporting Material
Above view of the head's sun pattern, and some little doodles of it doing attacks and other stuff :3
CAP32_TopSunv2_color.pngCAP32_SupportingArt.png

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
WIP

I'm pretty close to done with my Sun Faerie design:

This design is based on the mythology personifications of the Sun and Sunrise, Helios and his daughter Eos. I've been a huge fan of mythology my whole life and I really wanted to use mythology as a reference for CAP 32, as I think it fits well with Fairy typing. Clearly, the Fire typing connection to the sun is pretty obvious.

The sun-shaped objects encircling its hands are made of solid light and heat and can be used as physical weapons. When used in this way, I like to call them "Sun Sai", and think they fit nicely with a potential Bitter Blade move and many other physical attacks. The general feel of this design also supports special attacking very well, I think.

I'm really enjoying working on this, and I'll probably shift my focus now to working on supporting art and things like that. And I'm sure I'll noodle around with minor details on the main design, because I just can't resist it, lol.

I hope you like it!

Last edited:
WIP

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a lion! It's a flame! IT'S SUPERGRYPHON!!!

...meh, probably gonna replace this first-draft artwork altogether with a different take on the mythical eagle/lion hybrid, though. I know, I know, it's been a while since I was even here on this forum, and I did rush this pretty bad in case the deadline for art subs came in sooner rather than later, but I felt I had to at least try something. I might end up losing yet again but it'd be fun to come up with an idea all the same, and I've enjoyed seeing what others have come up with as well. I'll whole-heartedly welcome whatever we get when the time comes!

In any case, this is a keythong, a type of wingless gryphon/griffin/griffon/whatever the heck you spell it, which was often portrayed in medieval artwork as having solar rays coming out of its back, which was translated into the Fire type as a cape, mohawk, and tail tip of sparking flames like fireworks (though I'll likely change that to something different due to Astrolotl existing). The griffin was said to be a hybrid of two of the most regal of creatures, the eagle (king of the birds) and the lion (king of the beasts), and indeed, during the Middle Ages, it was adopted as a symbol of Jesus. This association with divinity was what made me think of the Fairy type, and somehow, it ended up becoming a superhero pastiche of sorts since those are like, the modern demigods or something. The Pixillate ability made me think of a magic-wielding superhero such as Dr. Strange or something, but this sketch makes it look too much like a Fighting-type. To counteract this, I'll probably have to redesign this into something more graceful, elegant, and almost dainty-looking, the complete opposite of a mighty, powerful beast like you'd expect of a gryphon portrayal. Referencing depictions of gryphons in medieval heraldry might also help sell that magical feel, especially since gryphons rampant in those artworks led me to imagine this as a bipedal furbait-ish look. Do we have any traditionally "cool"-looking Fairy types? Grimmsnarl is more of the "awesomely grotesque" kind. Eh, I'll have to look this up later...

WIP

787 sin título_20230422133301.png

So, its been a long time since i posted a WIP to the thread, but ive been improving the paper lamp silk moth idea, and ended up with this! Im still not convinced by the shading, and i need to improve on my fire textures, i also have to do the support art, but i at least got plenty of time for that :)

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Modpost #1: We have just opened stat submissions for CAP 32. As a reminder, art submissions for CAP 32 are due 48 hours after final stat poll results. This deadline is different from that of previous CAP cycles. See this PRC thread for more details.

--

Modpost #2: I've seen several designs include fiery-looking or fairy-like effects. Please make sure that those design elements follow the Art Submission rules! In particular, your final submission image must have a full outline around every aspect of the design. Just because you can find an example in official Pokemon artwork does not mean it's allowed in CAP.

--

Modpost #3: Due to the above, don't wait until the last minute to make your final submission post. You don't want to think you're done with your final submission only for your entry to get disqualified due to the post/image not being formatted properly. If you're not sure whether your final submission post is legal, feel free to ask a flavor mod.

Final Submission

"this is it then huh?
my final art submission
yatagarasu

the shining raven
a messenger from the gods
who lives among flames

using its image
and with glittering colors
made this pokémon
"

As said in the haiku, my desing is a representation of the sintoist deity "yatagarasu", for those who dont know it is a crow with three legs that lives in the sun (and or, has its powers from the sun), it is a magical and benevolent creature for humans, so much that there are quite a few sintoist temples for it.
So that why i believe it makes great sence for it to have the fairy/fire type, its magical origin fits well with the fairy type (tho i also gave it pink colors ot be sure) and the fact that its a being directly from the sun makes it clearly a fire type.

in my design, the head/neck, wings and legs/tail are made to glow, as if it where made of fire itself (in a similar fashion to chi-yu), to give the mon a more mystical and fiery look.

the head and the wings when folded (as seen within my supporting material) show the shape of a magatama, beads of eastern origin with various uses in rituals (also, a jade magatama is one of japan's three sacred treasures, so it clearly holds a big meaning)

the tail in my design is made to "mesh" with the other two legs, making a refference of the three legs that yatagarasu supposedly has, tho biologically, the legs in my design have the same shape and movement, they can be folded like paper, and in flight the legs and the tail all flow like dancing ribbons.

And, as a bonus, the pattern on the belly of my design is meant to represent a chemical diagram of hydrogen (mainly inspired from watchmen and dr.manhattan and the implications that symbol has with nuclear energy)

hope my design holds well among all the other amazing submissions for this CAP, and good luck to everyone who participates!!!!

Supporting Material

WIP

Take Two for SuperGryphon - I'm definitely happier with this attempt, though I'll still likely have to make a couple of tweaks to get it to look exactly how I imagined it. As I declared in the comments for the first draft, the plan was for this new version to be more graceful and elegant, more like a fantasy "archmage" than a straight-up flying brick. Given that we seem to be looking at a more offense-oriented stat spread with less emphasis on defense, I feel like a skinnier build makes more sense, though in case we go physical I gave it large talons on its hands (which could easily justify Bitter Blade if it gets used - it simply tears at its foe with its huge, sharp claws). The head crest and cape also had their shapes changed into trailing, wispy flames like Gigantamax Charizard's fiery wings, with the former in particular being inspired by Starfire's fiery, flowing hair in the printed DC Comics. Complimenting that is a longer tail with more tufts coming out down its length, more in line with the tails of lions in heraldry which look similar, and a flaming tip was a given; I imagine that this thing could even clutch its tail and use it like a sorcerer's staff to blast stuff with fire magic from said flaming tip. I also added a slight Egyptian influence given that griffins originate from Egyptian mythology - I actually repurposed the solar mirror I used as a design element in my sub for CAP24, and added eyeshadow on the mask like the Eye of Horus.

Potential changes to this artwork during cleanup include the position of the arms and hands which I'm still not entirely happy with, the shape of the fire cape which needs to better indicate its flow and dramatic size without looking too much like a Flying-type, and the possibile addition of extra patterning on the rest of the suit to match the eyeliner and reduce the negative space. I might also consider making the upper torso and upper arms even skinnier next time, since they still look just barely too buff for a Fairy-type, and there's a very good chance that we'll be leaning towards a stat spread where its physical defense leaves a lot to be desired.

Final Submission
Fire Fairy 1.5.jpg

Here's a dual flame-wielding Fire/Fairy who punches, thrusts, slashes, and flame-slings above its weight! Its skill at manipulating its flames-for-weapons and its mischievous and extroverted personality help it access a good variety of moves. The craggy slash down its belly is reminiscent of a coal seam.

I figured I may as well finish this anyway since this Fire/Fairy doesn't seem like it makes very big Heat Crashes no matter what, and Armor Cannon is currently a bit of a stretch for this poor guy.

Supporting Material
Fire Fairy Supporting Material.jpg
All proportions for supporting material drawings probably shouldn't be taken literally, although I personally have a tough time imagining this Fire/Fairy as being taller than 3 feet FWIW.

Last edited:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
WIP

1682378643967.png

concept based on the celtic goddess of fire, poetry, and wisdom: brigid. this take on cap 32 is adorned w/ a scroll wand inscribed w/ poetry, knowledge, and history, which cap 32 uses to attack its foes.

justifications:
fire/fairy: fire goddess, which is fairy adjacent.
boomburst: cap 32 uses its scroll wand to inflict overwhelming, reverberating words, thoughts, and sounds onto its foes
bitter blade: scroll wand is blade-esque + contains the scathing wounds of history and the vitriol behind it
extreme speed: extreme speed's distribution is weirdly very serenity-adjacent
pixilate: pretty loose flavor wise, but having a scroll that weaponizes history/words seems fine
low bsr/bst: smol

supporting material will help visualize cap 32 using whatever attacks it gets access to

Final Submission
787 sin título_20230424120830.png

Supporting Material
809 sin título_20230424164615.png811 sin título_20230424190306.png
tl'dr a fluffy moth :3

The most obious inspiration is a silk moth, which i utilized a lot on its design, the fluff, wings and body shape are based on it, i did also inspire it on the paper wasp, which helps in similar things as the latter, its also based on a paper lamp, which adds a lot of fire types elements on it and combines well with the paper wasp inspiration, i used it for the fire wings, the thorax and the dress at the bottom. Its also inspired by fairytale fairies, which also helped on the body shape, and giving it wings/the ability to fly on the first place, and drew inspiration from ribbons to create the hands/arms and the rectangular shape of the wings, it has some small inspiration from rockets! Over all on the form of the dress and the fluff around it, i also inspired it from other mons, mainly Lokix, Ribombee, and G-Max Charizard when trying to do the flames the first time, i also inspired it on a regional Vespiqueen i did long ago, and before anyone asks, i have no idea where the personality came from, but i like it, just a very silly little moth :3.
Fire/Fairy: inspired on fairies, bugs and paper lamps
Pixilate: Inspiration on fairytale fairies
Low BST: smol bug dont hurt pls
Espeed: Flying bugs are really fast
Flare Blitz: Covers itself in the paper lamp's flames and charges at the opponent
Boomburst/Hyper Voice: It just screams really loudly
Torch Song: Same as last, but creates a fire stick with its fluff
Spikes/Stealth Rock: Creates spike-shaped fluff that it spreads all over the battlefield
Bitter Blade/Fire Lash: Covers its whole arm with flames and slashes at the opponent
Rapid Spin: Speen
Flamethrower/Fire Blast: Uses the flame inside its dress to throw fire out of it
Moonblast/Dazzling Gleam: Magical moth powers
Armor Cannon: Centers its power on the flame in its dress, surrounds the dress in fluff and shoots it out
U-Turn: Bashes into the opponent really fast and goes inside the pokeball
Parting Shot/Taunt: Its a really silly moth, so it does some silly stuff to annoy the opponent
Strength Sap: It grabs the opponent and feeds off its strength by biting it.

This is, for a fact, the silliest moth to be ever created, researchers have been trying to figure out for millenia how is this moth so silly, they have asked the people and the monsters, but they dont know, the wealthy and the poor, but they dont know, the knowing and the unaware, but they dont know, the gods and devils, but they dont know, beings known and unknown, but they dont know, even the universe doesnt know how this moth is so silly, goofy even, it may remain as a mistery for eons, and even the eons wont answer how silly this moth is.

Also, a timelapse video on my process of making it!

Last edited:
WIP

With a lot of help from the Smogon CAP Discord, I've done a lot of refining for this design and am definitely happier with this design! I might play around with the fire colors a bit more but the pink and purple colors to me certainly help sell the fact that this isn't one of those "normie" Fire-types elsewhere. I also changed the fire trailing from the back so it now invokes several pairs of fiery wings, seeing as several other subs for this CAP have tried a fiery-winged angel motif. I won't pretend I didn't have the four-winged cherubs from the Book of Ezekiel in mind when I mixed the angelic elements into this design since they have lion and eagle traits (and there's even a few subtle bull and human motifs included, since those are the other two creatures that made up those cherubs). The uppermost pair, while not useful for flapping flight, curls upward to form a sort of halo around the head, which now has a crest like a cardinal bird (which was named after the Roman Catholic Church, the outfit of which with its red robe and cap is what this bird's plumage resembles).

Some other subs for this cap have gone with very small-looking designs to justify the relatively low BST, but since I wanted SuperGryphon here to be tall and imposing, I decided to make him relatively skinny - most of the silouhette is taken up by the wings themselves, in other words. As for move justifications:
  • ExtremeSpeed: The lithe, graceful build is similar to that of a cheetah. Alternatively, while not a Flying-type or possessing Levitate, SuperGryphon can leap into the air and direct the flames of his wing-cape behind him like a rocket, shooting at high speed towards his opponent.
  • Boomburst/Hyper Voice, Torch Song/Parting Shot: For maximum effect, imagine a cross between the classic "HAAAAAAAA-LLELUJAH" choir call and a stock hawk screech. You know the one.
  • Bitter Blade: Simply rips into the foe with huge, sharp talons, possibly with energy blade extensions for extra kick.
  • Taunt: Flashy colors and brilliant display features (the fire cape especially) work great for drawing all attention to himself.
  • Fire Lash: Makes use of the long, whip-like tail with a flaming tip.
  • Rapid Spin: Spins in mid-air and conjures a fiery tornado. I imagine that SuperGryphon would also employ Fire Spin in this way.
The moves I don't have answers for so far are Armor Cannon, Strength Sap, Stealth Rock, and Spikes, but using his magic power to summon special energy constructs for pulling off each of them might be a solid answer for that, especially if Psychic coverage comes into play. If we go that route I might change the flame colors to a mix of purple, pink, and blue to make them look even more supernatural.

Last edited:
Final Submission
F31DAFDA-AAB9-42C9-9021-2B279B51B436.png

based on shooting stars and piñatas
  • Extreme Speed, Double-Edge, Flare Blitz/Heat Crash - comets are speedy and hurt probably
  • Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Overheat - like a comet, it burns up to heat
  • U-Turn/Volt Switch/Parting Shot - comets move in elliptical orbits, after it hits an opponent it’ll bounce back (parting shot was the main idea here)
  • Fire Lash - the fire tongue
  • Bitter Blade - im doomed if this gets picked
(edit: fixed color bleeding in image)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)