Calling All Luxor Fans!

EDITED WITH REGARDS TO LATER POSTS
BUT THEYRE VERY CONFLICTING AND SO THIS WONT PLEASE EVERYBODY

EDITS IN BOLD
And some replacement for Starm might be nice as I'm not sure I need it anymore. I would like some bulk in that slot tho.

AND DON'T YOU DO NO POSTING TILL YOUVE READ THIS WHOLE PAGE OR YOU'LL SAY SOMETHING TOTALLY USELESS.

I'm that guy who thinks everybody knows and loves me. Let's face it, everybody does. I'm just not the best at team building.

Anyway, heres my team. For teams, i always seem to have some kind of master plan, never just "go out and switch in with superior resistances and sally forth." This team is a rapid spin-->dual screen--> SD pokemon kind of idea. Very different from my TRsandstormsplosionsweep team.

Without further ado.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
He's a real fun-gi! (No, thats a parasect joke.) I've found substitute to be good for scouting. I also enjoy the freedom that comes from not having a scarf. Not so sure about the moves though. They're nice for a lot of things, but walled by a lot of things as well. He plays by haxoring out paraflinch's like some spritely god of hax. You know.

---

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Spa/ 252 Spe
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
-Fire Blast
-Grass Knot
-Vacuum Wave
-Nasty Plot

He's an animal! Ape is the numero uno skarmbliss slayer, and is quite good at killing anything that stalls or can be taunted. U-turn is great, period. Open to suggestions.

---

Rotom-toaster @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/128 Def/128 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Discharge
- Overheat
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Counters Scizor like nobody's business and gets my dual screens up. All hail toast.
Key to my aforementioned strategy. If no entry hazards are set, or starmie spins them away and their setter is dead, the time is right for
PEANUT BUTTER ROTOM TIME! He dual screens and gets them up every time. Then he can whack stuff around. Awesome.

---

IN DANGER OF BEING DROPPED
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 136 HP/ 156 Def/ 216 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

He's a star! Rapid spin keeps my sashvile from perishing ignobly. Great as support for everyone. I'm thinking of surf instead of hydro, either way it plays the same and doesn't matter. Spins and then whacks stuff. Pretty simple.

---

New kid #1.
Metagross @ LO
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk/ 204 Spe/ 48 HP
Adamant nature (+Atk, -Spa)
-Agility
-Meteor Mash
-EQ
-Tpunch

In by popular demand. No one is going to be touching him with the dual screens up, and he's bulky without them anyway. Apparently "Metagross [will carve] a path of destruction" and then let subcune go. Darn it my font size changed.

---

What a relief that I don't have to worry about SD Weavile getting raped by scizor anymore.
Suicune @Leftovers
Ability: Pressure i think
EVs: 252 HP/ 104 Spa/ 152 Spe
Modest nature (+Spa, - Atk)
-Substitute
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Calm Mind (for the pwnage that inherently is associated with it)

Apparently this will clean up after meta. Man, it feels great to have Weavile and Luke gone. I dunno why. These guys have just got this bulky aura about them. Bulky like Schwarzenegger.

---

Threat list gone cuz my team is totally different now. Too lazy to make another one, I'm suprised I made the first one. See posts below for information on what I'm good against or troubled with or whatever.

Well, let's go ahead and work on this new team!

On a side note, I always had a kind of bias against OU legends like heatran and celebi. But if suicune works, maybe it will help my fear.
I'm also terrified of greyhounds (you know, those huge dogs?) Maybe a UU team with houndoom could cure me of that. But lets work with what we have here.

If you switched your Rotom to Rotom-h it could counter and OHKO Scizor, forcing a switch. Or you could just run WoW on your current rotom to cripple Zor. I don't understand how Scizor is not countered by Rotom. Rotom resists Bullet Punch and X Scissor and is immune to Superpower..

Run some more Def EVs.

And btw, we've battled X_X

The most important thing:
Lucario needs to run LO. He is too fail to be surviving any super effective hits. Period. Not to mention he needs that huge boost in power. Slap that thing on, I bet you will do much better. It is also recommended you run Adamant; most of his counters are going to be outspeeding him now anyway, so run Adamant, which provides a very nice boost in power after a SD (700 attack vs. 638, around that). If you do run Adamant, it is recommended you use Stone Edge or Crunch. Fix that, and he is a very devastating sweeper if you set him up correctly. He is too easily walled by Zapdos, Gyarados, Gliscor, etc. But if you can get rid of his primary counters, he can pull off devastating sweeps and comebacks, SD or not.

Instead of running that weird Ape, run the standard all out attacking MixApe. It provides solid coverage and great wall breaking together. Taunt isn't really necessary for something like Infernape who KOs most walls like Bliss and Skarm, and dies to pathetic surfs. U Turn isn't too useful, as something like Dugtrio should only try to revenge you if its faster anyway.

Run a bulkier starmie and no LO. Starmie needs to be able to switch in, survive, and then rapid spin. No point when you get hit, lose life as you spin, and then die. You lose life when you rapid spin?....That is a big no no.

Even so, I am against using Focus Sash on Weavile. Scizor is still going to own you, and you are still pretty likely to get hit switching in or something. And Sandstorm is very prevalent, with T Tar being one of the most popular pokemon. LO is probably better. Its not like you are going to be getting 2 SDs or something.

Personally, I prefer Mr. Mime over your Rotom. Mr. Mime has lower stats and can not smack things around like your Rotom may be able to, but I find that its larger movepool gives it a better defensive set up. Just personal preference though. And you said Rotom is you "holy untouchable" anyways. ^^

I think your party relies too heavily on your Rotom to Dual Screen and your Starmie to Spin entry hazards. Aside from Rotom and Starmie, the rest of your party falls flat to a strong (physical) ground/fire/fighting type attack.
Weak to:
Ground - Jirachi, Infernape, Lucario
Fighting - Weavile, Lucario
Fire - Jirachi, Weavile, Lucario
- Lets assume your Starmie is unable to Spin away Spikes, you'll find yourself in a sticky situation. (Spikes is also a ground type move, adding to your type-weakness dilemma.)
- Your Rotom's Dual Screens also fall victim to Brick Break, which doesn't help your team's weakness to fighting type attacks.

I would suggest replacing Jirachi with Togekiss. Togekiss is perhaps slower than Jirachi, but hits harder and has a much wider movepool, all the while keeping your flinchax with Air Slash and Serene Grace. Togekiss is also only weak against Electric and Ice types, which adds more of a type-diversity to your party. Not to mention it can learn both Nasty Plot and Baton Pass through level up.

That's all from me for now. I'm still learning, so I'll just point out things I notice and let the veterans work their magic.
Hope I was helpful!

Response: Running overheat on rotom is an obvious idea, why didn't i think of that. <Slaps self in forehead.> I always kind of sacrificed rotom after he dual screened. <Slaps self again.>

U-turn on ape is an extremely useful move. Take off U-turn and he is no longer the fantastic thing I love. Replacing taunt wouldn't really hurt tho, i only ever really used it on one annoying umbreon. Although taunting things does feel pretty good.

Lucario is not too frail to take hits. Didn't you notice the whole "dual screen" concept? Weavile is 3HKO'ed by Swampy's EQ with Reflect up. With no investment whatsoever. Lucario can take a hit or too as well, although the LO would be a lot more predictable and useful than that liechi. Mostly however i want something to replace that Lucario. I just don't find him very effective- What else could really use a shielded set up time? Would a mence or suicune or CM raikou or what work well in there?

I don't actually really find myself using Starm to actually rapid spin very often. The Dual Screen provides sufficient bulkiness to set up and fire away. Maybe I could replace Starm with a second dual screener. Or just teach them to Starm.

New wish list: New Starm set/replacement, Lucario replacement.
Randomly, Rotom-h is just a magnet for swampert, although with dual screens he's not much of a threat.

I am pretty ground weak. Switching Luke with something would really help me there. A new settupper who can benefit from the Dual Screen is what i'd really like in Luke's spot.

I feel quite redundant. Repetitive too. lol thanx

Your Jirachi doesn't need that much speed if it's abusing Body Slam. Switch to Adamant and leave 176 EVs in speed to beat neutral natured base 90s.

Rapid Spin is all fine and dandy for stopping SR, but the ever present Tyranitar can start a Sandstorm, effectively negating your Focus Sash.

Keep Rotom, Mr Mime takes X-Scissor as well as Weavile takes a Bullet Punch.
All the cool kids use Scizor to Swords Dance now, so stick him over Luke - Scizor isn't hit SE by anything Luke is, save Fire.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'd suggest changing infernapes nature to hasty and giving it the following EVs: 64 Atk / 252 Sp. Atk / 192 Spe. Give it the following moveset:

Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Close Combat
Hp Ice / Nasty Plot

Give Rotom Leftovers, you won't always get the chance to use light screen and leftovers will give you a lot more survivability.

On Jirachi, change substitute into wish.

Lucario isn't that effective because you don't have LO on him! Liechi gives you a 50% boost after you get hit a few times (so you are more likely to be dead while using it), while LO will gives you a 30% boost the whole time, giving you some very cool kills. At least try it out, and screw "it's too obvious" BS. As soon as you SD, it is obvious who you are.

And try out Infernape without U Turn. What in the world do you actually use it for? You will love it even more for its ability to break down more walls. Right now, yours is completely dominated by even Salamence, whom you have the ability to outspeed and KO with HP Ice.

If you really want a U turn pokemon, consider ScarfFlygon. He provides an Earthquake immunity, as well as some other useful resists.

And if Lucario still doesn't work out, try out DDMence or DDGyara. Standard as hell, but they are some of the premier sweepers in the game. Typewise, DDMence is superior though. Might as well take advantage of your spinner I guess.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would suggest Gyarados as a possible replacement to Lucario. It carries a fair amount of bulk, has a plenty of power and has been proven to be a very potent threat in this metagame. The Stealth Rock weak is of little consequence too (assuming you actually get aroung to Rapid Spinning...) when you consider how it covers all the big weaknesses mentioned in JAN's post, as well as being a decent check to that omnipresent Scizor.

I would choose either a more defensive set such as Bulkydos if you wish to exploit its typing (see above) or an offensive set such as DDGyara if you want to continue Lucario's original purpose of sheltering behind screens, setting up and sweeping (remember your four s's!)

If you decide to take up Gyarados, you now have a big Electric weak, a big Rock weak and two Water-types. In this situation I would possibly choose a different Rapid Spinner to Starmie, whose ability to take down spikes I have always been sceptical about. I would recommend Donphan in its place, as it has very sturdy defences (ignore the special side) and also has the ability to set up Stealth Rock, which I notice is sadly lacking from your team.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a Swords Dance Sweeper in particular (most people at this point yell "SCIZOR!" at the top of their lungs) I would probably have to suggest Gliscor as a viable replacement. It covers Ground and Fighting, but without Intimidate, and is still a potent threat.

BMB.

Lucario-
If you're looking for an alternative to Lucario, this is your guy.

Metagross
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Thunderpunch / Ice Punch
Item: Leichi Berry
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 188 Spe / 68 HP

As a late game sweeper, this guy is the best. I have used him a ton and will advocate for him any day. EVs are meant for this guy to outrun Adamant T-tar before an Agility and almost everything else after that. T-Punch deals with the bulky waters, and Ice Punch deals with Rotom and Zapdos. Pick which ever one is good for you.

If you don't want him, get something like Gyarados or Salamence in there. Salamence would actually cover Jirachi's weaknesses, so that would be a good relationship.

Starmie- If he is your Spinner, give him the Leftovers and trade Hydro Pump for Surf. Leftovers will provide Starmie with more surviability and Surf provides consistent accuracy. Take 136 EVs from SAtk and put them into HP for more surviablity. I think this guy needs to be either a Spinner or a Sweeper: It can't do really well if it's trying to do both.

Weavile- Night Slash over Pursuit. SD Weavile is more of a sweeper than revenge killer, and you need all the power you can get. He's not going to be psuedo-trapping like the choice set.

Rotom and Infernape- Just because they have EVs to share doesn't mean thay have to be evenly split. I suppose you could leave Rotom as is, but listen to Panamaxis for Infernape.

Jirachi- Fine.

Overall: I find team chemistry to be more important than individual Pokemon. I see you have a Fire weakness, and with so many Fire type moves around, this is a serious problem. Rotom-W could replace Rotom-C so that he will have Hydro Pump rather than Leaf Storm. But in general, your team is nice. I like it.

If you are going to go with Agiligross, take some Hp EVs out and put them to speed, to 204 Spd EVs. That gets you to 454 speed after an agility I believe, which allows you to outspeed most ScarfRachi and ScarfFlygon, and hit hard back. Then, instead of Liechi Berry, run LO so that you can KO Flygon with Meteor Mash, and just do more damage overall. LO is superior to Liechi Berry btw.

I would consider running SR on your Jirachi lead; because then, you can use LO Meteor Mash to KO Salamence with Metagross, so you can run Thunderpunch over Thunderpunch for those bulky waters instead. You could run Explosion, which is a very versatile move on Metagross, especially with LO.

I think you need to take advantage of your screens more. imo there are two pokemon that are much better suited for this the Metagross that was previously suggested by explorer ace will work effectively in tandem with the second pokemon I am suggesting. Metagross especially agiligross will draw out plenty of walls who he can explode on or destroy (I highly suggest explosion although thunder punch will also work well). Metagross does not necessarily need the screens as he is naturally extremely bulky. After Metagross has carved a path of destruction I suggest you take advantage of the awesome subcune.

Suicune with screens and cm is just too broken for words and after a few calm minds will be unstoppable. It can beat Blissey as seismic toss won’t break the sub and all other special walls will just be destroyed. I suggest this spread as I feel it will work best to destroy celebi who can either grass knot or perish song defeating this strategy. [/FONT]

Suicune @ leftovers
Modest
252hp/104Spa/152/Spe
Substitute
Surf
Ice beam
Calm Mind

You could switch the evs around a bit maybe more in SP.Atk but to guarantee the 2hko on bliss after 6 cms or put some evs into defense whatever you feel will help your team out im not sure about the speed evs so detract from there if your not sure.

Good luck I hope this helps remember to destroy all bulky waters you see to really maximise the efficacy of this Suicune. Especially Vaporeon grrr.

No Scarfers makes me think that you are quite DDGyara Weak. After 1 DD, standard Offensive Gyarados outspeeds every member of your team. Boosted EQ should easily OHKO Lucario, Jirachi, and Infernape. Boosted Stone Edge just annihilates Weavile. And your starmie is fragile enough that he probably falls to an EQ. Rotom appears to be the only member of your team who can take a +1 LO Gyarados attack safely. Which means if your opponent has CB Pursuit backup from something like TTar, Metagross, Snorlax, or Scizor, they can easily eliminate Rotom and Starmie and then sweep you. Even easier than that, since you aren't running a single Stealth Rocker, he can just keep coming in and threatening a sweep, switching out to his pursuiter as your counters come in and then finally wiping up the rest.

Scarfing just about anyone can fix this problem. Scarf Jirachi w/ Trick/Iron Head/Stealth Rock/Thunderpunch makes a great lead and later-game Gyara counter. Starmie could run Scarf over LO. Especially since they may guess you have Scarf and then assume you don't have rapid spin, meaning a potential opening to use it (also LO + Rapid Spin is kind of bad, especially with no recover, as it means you're sacrificing at least 22.5% to remove rocks). Scarf Infernape with something like Stone Edge or Thunderpunch where you have Taunt now could work. Scarf Rotom is a personal favorite of mine. I like Rotom-H @ Scarf w/ Trick/Discharge/Overheat/HP Ice. Deals with Gyarados, Scizor, Lucario, and Salamence, which is pretty sweet.

I'd suggest changing infernapes nature to hasty and giving it the following EVs: 64 Atk / 252 Sp. Atk / 192 Spe. Give it the following moveset:

Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Close Combat
Hp Ice / Nasty Plot

Give Rotom Leftovers, you won't always get the chance to use light screen and leftovers will give you a lot more survivability.

On Jirachi, change substitute into wish.
I agree with this mostly except, put Fire Blast(over Flamethrower) and Nasty Plot together. Also you could possibly put Vacuum Wave to KO Scarftran with SR.

The power difference is crucial to some OHKOes. You may say you're weak to Sala but look below.

Here are some damage calcs to show how devastating this thing is:

Nasty Plot Fire Blast from Infernape to 4 HP/0 Sp Def Salamence: 79.15%-93.35% OHKO with SR up.

NP Fire BLast OHKOes all Rotom formes encountered.

NP Fire Blast OHKOes Ludicolo.

Right now starmie as you say is the weakest link in you team as rapid spin support is predominantly useless. You could swap it for a couple of things.
Gyarados seems like a good option as it can wall ape which now slightly threantens your team it also has good synergy with metagross is suggest panamaxis gyarados @ bounce adamant you know the rest. i hope.

Or you can go the more defensive route with tetacruel who can set up toxic spikes further facilitating your suicune sweep.

Let me know how this team goes please and im really happy you took my suggestions on board :P

I have now noticed that explorerace's metagross isn't working so well- with cune as a late game sweeper meta can't also late game sweep and i'm REALLY liking that subcune so something's gotta bend.

Gyarados is a very good option to have on this team. I'd also reccommend you put Stone Edge on it to deal with opposing Gyara, which have the potential to be quite troublesome for this particular team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)