BW OU: The Fearsome ButterDaunt

Alright, I've been playing with this team for some time now, refining it, figuring out what works and what doesn't, what I need to watch for and what I can replace. This team was designed with one goal in mind. Give Crawdaunt the credit he deserves, and at the same time, throw in another NU poke from the shadows that can now do some damage.

With Garchomp gone, Scarfchomp, one of this teams biggest problems, was removed from the metagame, and since then I've managed to actually get a decent winning record up to about ~1200 off and on. This team's biggest threats are definitely Thundurus, Rotom-W, Gyarados and the rare sleeptalking Suicune. Chansey also does a good job at annoying, but isn't unmanageable.

So without further ado, presenting team ButterDaunt

Lead: Butterfree, Compoundeyes
Timid @Focus Sash
252 SpA/ 76 SpD /180 Spe
Quiver Dance
Sleep Powder
Bug Buzz
Hidden Power Fire

Look at this bad@$$ mother trucker. Flying in, peepin' everyone with his compound eyes and before you know it, you're asleep! 97.5% accurate sleep powder is the both the sole reason and the soul reason to use this lipid-lacking butterfly over any other Quiver Dancer. Sleep Powder allows for multiple boosts with good prediction, and running the fun surprise hidden power eliminates it's best counters (Skarmory and Ferrothorn). And if someone switches in something like a dragon, put it to sleep and switch out, no shame in that. The 180 speed puts BFree at 242, meaning 363 with one quiver. Outspeeding base 115's, which is rather nice considering Starmie is weak to bug on top of that. BFree also gets the SpD boost from Quiver Dance, which, coupled with it's average 80 SpD make it capable of taking special attacks.

Priority: Scizor, Technician
Adamant @Flight Gem
252 Atk/ 252 HP/ 4 Spe
Bullet Punch
U-Turn
Acrobatics
Roost

You can't argue that Scizor's a tank of a tank. Beyond that, the toad running in the background lets him survive the weaker non-STAB flamethrowers sent his way. Acrobatics > Superpower mainly because Ferrothorn is 2HKO'd by Flight Gem Acrobatics anyways. It also gives Scizor a re-usable answer to the annoying pokes that resist Steel and Bug. U-Turn also works great with good prediction scouting switches and dealing STAB damage.

Support: Politoed, Drizzle
Modest @Choice Scarf
252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Hydro Pump
Hidden Power Grass
Ice Beam
Scald

This toad gets the jump on people with a speedy scarf move. HP Grass was mainly being used for Quagsire and Gastrodon who otherwise wall this set. It doesn't really hit Jellicent hard enough (about 28%) to count as an answer to the jelly, but coupled with scarf, sometimes it can be the answer to revenge kill or finish off a weakened foe. Scarf+rain+Hydro Pump often leads to an unhappy opponent as well, even resisted.

Spinner: Tentacruel, Liquid Ooze
Timid @Black Sludge
12 HP/ 244 Def/ 252 Spe
Scald
Toxic
Rapid Spin
Protect

Overall, I've found this cruel to be a bit of a poor fit on my team. It enjoys the rain-boosted Scald, and loves to burn or poison on top of removing rocks and spikes. It's also bulky enough to switch in on an outrage, protect second turn while they calm down, and try for burn, but that's often not the best answer. I'm thinking about a Forretress over this Tentacruel, but am just not sure yet. The SpD wall is nice to have, especially resisting rain-boosted opposing waters. I started running Liquid Ooze over Rain dish to help deal with Ferrothorn and other seeders, but it's not ideal.

Bait and Switch: Landorus
Jolly @Dragon Gem
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Outrage
U-Turn

Landorus is my ground type, given my electric weakness. I often get dragons switching in thinking they're free to set up thanks to levitating over my EQ's. Then BAM! 1hko Outrage. Pretty much any dragon will go down to this, Latias being the only dragon to outspeed Landorus. And even when she does, they usually think she's safe and go for a CM. U-Turn in combo with Tentacruel (for baiting ice/water moves), Scizor or Politoed help get those quick switch-setups that help make this team viable.

And finally, the star of the show
Sweeper Extraordinaire: AdaptaDaunt
Jolly @Leftovers
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Dragon Dance
Substitute
Waterfall
Crunch

Crawdaunt with Adaptability is a beast after 1 DD. The given EV's allow it to outspeed base 105 after 1 DD, and with good prediction, substitute can net you the 2nd DD free of charge. Crawdaunt is this teams big answer to Jellicent, outspeeding it without a DD and hitting it 2xSTAB super effective with Crunch. Seriously, a rain-boosted, DD, Adaptability Waterfall is a thing to be feared. Not much is standing in the way of this mighty Crayfish when he gets his chance.

Questions, comments etc... are most welcome. In particular, I like the idea of Forretress > Tentacruel, I think I just need convincing... The Politoed running HP Grass isn't as useful as I'd like it to be either. Landorus is useful for the electric immunity, getting a boost form opposing sandstorm, and is often a great anti-lead against TTar teams, as it threatens with earthquake, but still U-Turns for super effective damage (doing about 65%). I was thinking about an Excadrill instead of the Tentacruel as a rapid spinner, providing a second electric immunity, a great physical attacker, and a sandstorm counter. Decently bulky too, and doesn't mind the rain as it takes away his fire weakness.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I gotta say this is quite the original team. Using Butterfree and Crawdaunt is pretty cool. However, I think your team is EXTREMELY weak to the most threatening pokemon in our current metagame : Thundurus. It can OHKO 5 of your pokemon, while it resists everything Scizor can throw at it. That's why I think you should get either Latias or Ferrothorn. Get rid of Tentacruel for one of them. If you're wondering what set to run, here's a Latias set you can use :

Latias @ Leftovers / Timid / 4 HP 252 SpA 252 Spe
Recover - Calm Mind - Thunder(bolt) - Dragon Pulse

You can also run this Ferrothorn :
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers or Shed Shell / Relaxed / 252 HP 252 Def 4 SpD
Power Whip - Gyro Ball - Leech Seed - Stealth Rock

Oh and get rid of Dragon Gem on Landorus. Get Life Orb instead (as it boosts your other moves too!) You can also run Expert Belt for a fake choiced set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)