Beat Up Weavile offense

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor

Pokepaste:https://pokepast.es/8c8d4a8da3881a47

Teambuilding Process
I wanted to build around Choice Band Beat Up Weavile.
:weavile:
Since I was using Beat Up the rest of the team had to have high attack. I added Scarf Kartana it is is a very good cleaner and takes advantage of the holes weavile punches.
:weavile: :kartana:
I then added Landorus-Therian and Assault Vest Melmetal to the team. They both have a large attack stats and cover a lot of offensive threats.
:weavile: :kartana: :Landorus-Therian: :melmetal:
Dragonite was added next as it is a sturdy water resist and excellent check to rain teams.

:weavile: :kartana: :Landorus-Therian: :melmetal: :dragonite:
Garchomp is an excellent sweeper and takes advantage of weavile weakening its checks. However, it makes the team weak to weavile, so I'm thinking of replacing it.
:weavile: :kartana: :Landorus-Therian: :melmetal: :dragonite: :garchomp:

Pokemon Descriptions

Claws (Weavile) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard
- Beat Up

Choice Band Weavile is an excellent wallbreaker at present. With the current team composition, Beat Up reaches an excellent 114 base power. This lets it 2hko common physically defensive walls like Toxapex, Corviknight and Ferrothorn after Stealth Rock. It has excellent synergy with Scarf Kartana, which can clean up after Weavile breaks holes. It also helps Garchomp to overwhelm shared checks like Buzzwole and Corviknight. Jolly nature does let it outspeed base 110s like the rare Lati twins, but is left lacking for power in many cases. I currently consider making it adamant Weavile to nab important 2hkos.

252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Beat Up vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 196-232 (49.1 - 58.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Beat Up vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 141-166 (46.3 - 54.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Beat Up vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 157-186 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- 24.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Weavile Beat Up vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 172-204 (48.8 - 57.9%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
As we can see, Adamant has a better chance to 2hko Ferrothorn and doesn't need rocks to 2hko Phys Def Toxapex.

Big Dog (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic

Landorus-Therian has excellent role compression. It sets rocks, slow pivots with U-Turn to bring in attackers safely and gives defensive utility with Intimdate. It provides an important ground immunity to the team, switching into opposing Landorus-Therian and Garchomp. This lets it checks offensive ground types like Garchomp for Melmetal as well. It also provides a solid 19 BP to Beat Up. I've been considering Rocky Helmet on it to punish opposing U-Turn.

Iron Golem (Melmetal) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake/Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Melmetal serves as the team's mandatory bulky steel type. It switches into scarf Lele, Fini and Specs Dragapult, which the rest of the team struggles with. Fairy type attackers are overall very threatening to the team. Due to it's high physical bulk, it provides a decent check to Weavile. It also provides a solid 19 BP to Beat Up.

Rain wrangler (Dragonite) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dual Wingbeat/Ice Punch
- Roost

Dragonite provides a sturdy water resist and check to Urshifu-RS for this team. It also massively improves the rain matchup. It also checks fire types like Volcarona and Victini lacking Glaciate. Dual Wingbeat lets it lure and destroy Buzzwole for teammates to take advantage of. However, not having Ice Punch, worsens the MU vs Zapdos rain teams significantly. Dragonite, Melmetal and Landorus-Therian form an important defensive core for Beat Up teams. It's the only way I know to make a Beat Up team that doesn't totally fall apart defensively. It gives 18 BP to Beat Up as well.

Kart (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike/Aerial Ace

Scarf Kartana provides the team with an excellent late game cleaner and a good form of speed control. It's a very good partner for Weavile and adds 23 BP to Beat Up, making it a natural addition to the team. It takes advantage of the holes punched by Weavile excellently. Aerial Ace can be run over Smart Strike to Destroy Buzzwole, but this worsens the Unaclef matchup somewhat. It's the only member of the team so far that could be somewhat viably replaced, but this worsens the power of beat up significantly.

Landshark (Garchomp) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Scale Shot

Garchomp also benefits from the holes broken by Weavile. It is an excellent sweeper that appreciates checks like Corviknight being weakened significantly. Yache berry is used to tank a single Ice Punch from Buzzwole. If Garchomp uses SD as Buzzwole comes in, Garchomp can beat it 1 on 1. It can also live an Ice Shard from Non Choice band Weavile after a single defense drop. However, it has terrible defensive synergy with the rest of the team. It stacks a Fairy and Ice weakness with Dragonite, an Ice weakness with Landorus-Therian and finally, a Fairy weakness with Weavile. I have considered replacing it with Blaziken, Specs Dragapult, Kommo-O, Tapu Bulu or even Haxorus. It's the member of the team that's most likely to be replaced.

Threatlist
Weavile: Due to this team's three 4 times ice weaknesses, the team is highly weak to weavile. Melmetal provides a solid check however, and Scarf Kartana can easily revenge kill if healthy.
Blacephalon: The team doesn't have a very reliable check to Blacephalon.
Zapdos Rain: If not running Ice Punch on Dragonite, Zapdos rain is a tough matchup.
Mandibuzz: Mandibuzz is very niche, but it can cause the team some issues with foul play.

Last edited:
The team actually looks pretty good overall, I can't think of anything besides Garchomp in that slot because it offers such a good defensive profile. Yache Berry almost feels necessary to not get picked off by a lot of things, and while Roseli could be used to alleviate some Fairy-type concerns, I don't think it's worth it. My only suggested changes are that you use Eject Button Landorus, Adamant Weavile, and stick with Superpower on Melmetal rather than Earthquake. Ejectorus gives you more momentum into your breakers, which allows you some offensive leniency in desperate situations when you need a breaker in healthy. You usually lead Weavile anyways, so this is your best possible option imo. Adamant Weavile gives you some useful 2HKO's, and it isn't like you can't just bluff Jolly anyways because Beat Up is a pain to calc so your opponent often enough won't do that. Quad quake feels weird coverage wise, and rain matches (especially ones with Clefable) get that much harder if you don't have Superpower to nail Ferrothorn. I recommend the coverage option for Earthquake is removed, as I don't really see the benefit of it for this team.

Another optional change you could make is SR + Defog Lando, where you forego Toxic to compress roles you might not have. You could also try a faster Landorus in order to outspeed more Buzzwole and the occasional defensive Zapdos at 241 (242). This is especially helpful if you have Toxic, as it means Buzzwole has to be more cautious about its turns in and it is less of a challenge to beat with this team. Fully offensive Landorus can slap wondering Nidoking and stupid Clef / Pex that think they can take the hit, while surprising Lele, Volcanion, Heatran, and CB Ttar that can otherwise tear this team up. Of course, these faster sets lose out on catching defensive Zapdos with Roost, and you adequate have coverage for most of them already.

If you're sticking with slow SpD, 24 Spe IVs to be faster than most slow Landorus and slower than all other Landorus (per the pokepaste).

https://pokepast.es/b0759d6490995bf9

Last edited:

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
The team actually looks pretty good overall, I can't think of anything besides Garchomp in that slot because it offers such a good defensive profile. Yache Berry almost feels necessary to not get picked off by a lot of things, and while Roseli could be used to alleviate some Fairy-type concerns, I don't think it's worth it. My only suggested changes are that you use Eject Button Landorus, Adamant Weavile, and stick with Superpower on Melmetal rather than Earthquake. Ejectorus gives you more momentum into your breakers, which allows you some offensive leniency in desperate situations when you need a breaker in healthy. You usually lead Weavile anyways, so this is your best possible option imo. Adamant Weavile gives you some useful 2HKO's, and it isn't like you can't just bluff Jolly anyways because Beat Up is a pain to calc so your opponent often enough won't do that. Quad quake feels weird coverage wise, and rain matches (especially ones with Clefable) get that much harder if you don't have Superpower to nail Ferrothorn. I recommend the coverage option for Earthquake is removed, as I don't really see the benefit of it for this team.

Another optional change you could make is SR + Defog Lando, where you forego Toxic to compress roles you might not have. You could also try a faster Landorus in order to outspeed more Buzzwole and the occasional defensive Zapdos at 241 (242). This is especially helpful if you have Toxic, as it means Buzzwole has to be more cautious about its turns in and it is less of a challenge to beat with this team. Fully offensive Landorus can slap wondering Nidoking and stupid Clef / Pex that think they can take the hit, while surprising Lele, Volcanion, Heatran, and CB Ttar that can otherwise tear this team up. Of course, these faster sets lose out on catching defensive Zapdos with Roost, and you adequate have coverage for most of them already.

If you're sticking with slow SpD, 24 Spe IVs to be faster than most slow Landorus and slower than all other Landorus (per the pokepaste).

https://pokepast.es/b0759d6490995bf9
Alright, thank you very much.

Other decent candidates include Buzzwole and Tyranitar. Buzzwole improves your physically defensive profile by a lot while still contributing to Beat Ups base power quite well, it does not help with your over all weaknesses though outside of hard answering weavile, but if you found yourself lacking on defensive checks this one is stellar. Tyranitar checks all the boxes for things you consider weaknesses, but can fall to moonblast spam, however I believe this one does have merits, notably being a second option to stop gap rain match ups. As for the Dragonite a bulkier one might better serve as a defensive check, especially with access to Heal Bell, since no one in your team structure does much after getting burned. I don't think Defog is super important to your team, toxic spikes can be annoying, but you have the Heal Bell option. Only Weavile and Knocked Dragonite care that much about rocks being up, and Weavile is predominantly there to punch holes early game anyway.

Overall maybe Lando to Buzzwole so you still preserve your ground and fighting resist, and Garchomp to Tyranitar so you still have access to rocks and get sandstorm chip to drop everything into range for the Kartana sweep, with Bulky Heal Bell Dragonite. You can really only get Kart and Weavile back in on good doubles and revenge opportunities, but I think having Lando as your only pivot in the first place is a hard ask. The above suggestion for the Eject Button Lando though is kind of fire.

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Other decent candidates include Buzzwole and Tyranitar. Buzzwole improves your physically defensive profile by a lot while still contributing to Beat Ups base power quite well, it does not help with your over all weaknesses though outside of hard answering weavile, but if you found yourself lacking on defensive checks this one is stellar. Tyranitar checks all the boxes for things you consider weaknesses, but can fall to moonblast spam, however I believe this one does have merits, notably being a second option to stop gap rain match ups. As for the Dragonite a bulkier one might better serve as a defensive check, especially with access to Heal Bell, since no one in your team structure does much after getting burned. I don't think Defog is super important to your team, toxic spikes can be annoying, but you have the Heal Bell option. Only Weavile and Knocked Dragonite care that much about rocks being up, and Weavile is predominantly there to punch holes early game anyway.

Overall maybe Lando to Buzzwole so you still preserve your ground and fighting resist, and Garchomp to Tyranitar so you still have access to rocks and get sandstorm chip to drop everything into range for the Kartana sweep, with Bulky Heal Bell Dragonite. You can really only get Kart and Weavile back in on good doubles and revenge opportunities, but I think having Lando as your only pivot in the first place is a hard ask. The above suggestion for the Eject Button Lando though is kind of fire.
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you want me to run Sp.Def Tyranitar?

Yeah, if you end up making any of the changes I suggested SpDef TTar and Dnite, Phys Def on the Buzz and Melm. You lose out on Pivoting, but get a lot more sustain on your bulky mons. Even just Buzz in the Chomp Slot, making him and Melm Phys defense, and making Lando and Dnite Spdef would be good too. Melm just has to take the Ice moves coming at those two, unless it's Mamo in which case Buzzwole eats.

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Yeah, if you end up making any of the changes I suggested SpDef TTar and Dnite, Phys Def on the Buzz and Melm. You lose out on Pivoting, but get a lot more sustain on your bulky mons. Even just Buzz in the Chomp Slot, making him and Melm Phys defense, and making Lando and Dnite Spdef would be good too. Melm just has to take the Ice moves coming at those two, unless it's Mamo in which case Buzzwole eats.
Alright, thanks. Could I just replace chomp with buzz? Ttar has awful synergy with Dragonite.

Idk if this was already stated, but the team looks very weak to ice, as 3 of ur mons are 4x weak to ice and 1 of them dies to 1 ice beam (kartana). A earthquake or a fighting move absolutely sweeps the team. I know this is a beat up team, but anything with Bpunch or Mpunch kills weavile, and then if they hav a mon that knows a special ice move, the rest of the team is dead. But other than that the team looks great, and wud not want 2 play against it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)