Pet Mod Beartic Phone

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Alright I'm gonna start with my first SERIOUS response to the results being an explanation for my thought process about, uh, this...

1695258013782.png

So I got this DM for my Round 5...

1695258242523.png

Pretty obviously meant to be an Ice/Fairy-mon, and if it wasn't then its movepool would probably be kind of bad for whatever the mon's trying to be. I don't know why, maybe it was after some discussion happened in the server, but this was where I started getting in the mood to do something real goofy. Since I had already messed with stuff like Fairydisc in Duomod, who's going to have a BST of literally 1000 by the next update, this was one of the first things to jump into my head and something gave me the feeling I could actually do it. I did try and think things through though.

First off, a pretty natural way of inflating BST is by giving something a very low HP stat and very high defenses. I messed around with it a bit and definitely could've made the HP even lower just to turn this into a pretty normal fast and fragile breaker but thought this would be a more fun approach, although I'd need to try and keep this thing's stats tame in other ways. 20/150/250 defensive stats is around equal to 90/80/140 if you're looking at something more standard, which is definitely a lot but this is going to be nerfed by it being an Ice-type that is going to hate being chipped no matter what, even if it runs Boots it'll still miss the passive healing. Resists also tend to be super important for a mon to make the most of its defensive utility and this thing just would be severely lacking in that.

Another thing about it wanting to run Boots is that it'll either never run a boosting item or it'll always be even more vulnerable to chip if it does. Its damage output is going to be a lot worse without it, especially since its special attacks are only 90 BP is not perfect and there's no way this runs a physical set unless I actively try to give it one. 100 is not great by today's standards, especially if you don't have a boosting item or ability, and I could easily put it into both and feel fine about it. Since neither its attacking power nor its defensive presence were perfect, I felt fine enough putting 130 points into Speed but honestly didn't think nearly as hard about this as the rest.

With all of that, I felt that this Pokemon's stats could easily be changed into 90/60/80/100/140/130 and the Pokemon would not feel different at all since the bulk and offensive presence would line up. That's only 600 BST and doesn't look especially far off from Cryogonal, even if this obviously would have a bit more than that - Calm Mind, Fairy stuff, and a lot more Speed being the big ones. I didn't make this comparison before but felt that the issues I mentioned earlier would be enough to hold it back. So I sent it off as is, kind of was on the fence because this was still a REALLY stupid idea but hey, there's no way this mod was ever going to be balanced in the first place, so why not take the risk if you can say you had reason to think it would be okay?

Then I remembered abilities existed and kind of feared that this would have Snow Warning to potentially become a super strong Aurora Veil setter. That would be a problem, but I doubt this community would want to make another Snow Warning mon Ice/Fairy since people do tend to complain when mons are too similar to other stuff that exists in standard, so it should be fine.

Nope.

This one got freaking Fluffy instead.

...yeah that's a yikes. This thing is going to be pretty dumb for CM + Draining Kiss stuff which I kinda failed to realize while making this, and Fluffy only makes that problem worse. You could be that guy and say "it loses to Steel-types and Fire-types" and I haven't looked at everything but I wouldn't be surprised if it could just find a way to boost past those too given how strong it now is in both defensive stats especially. Would it have been broken without it? Maybe, but I really don't want to think about that right now.

Anyways I would like to formally apologize to Lady Salamence for ruining their mon and also announce my retirement from Smogon forever. Have a good one.

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
Alright I'm gonna start with my first SERIOUS response to the results being an explanation for my thought process about, uh, this...

View attachment 553892

So I got this DM for my Round 5...

View attachment 553894

Pretty obviously meant to be an Ice/Fairy-mon, and if it wasn't then its movepool would probably be kind of bad for whatever the mon's trying to be. I don't know why, maybe it was after some discussion happened in the server, but this was where I started getting in the mood to do something real goofy. Since I had already messed with stuff like Fairydisc in Duomod, who's going to have a BST of literally 1000 by the next update, this was one of the first things to jump into my head and something gave me the feeling I could actually do it. I did try and think things through though.

First off, a pretty natural way of inflating BST is by giving something a very low HP stat and very high defenses. I messed around with it a bit and definitely could've made the HP even lower just to turn this into a pretty normal fast and fragile breaker but thought this would be a more fun approach, although I'd need to try and keep this thing's stats tame in other ways. 20/150/250 defensive stats is around equal to 90/80/140 if you're looking at something more standard, which is definitely a lot but this is going to be nerfed by it being an Ice-type that is going to hate being chipped no matter what, even if it runs Boots it'll still miss the passive healing. Resists also tend to be super important for a mon to make the most of its defensive utility and this thing just would be severely lacking in that.

Another thing about it wanting to run Boots is that it'll either never run a boosting item or it'll always be even more vulnerable to chip if it does. Its damage output is going to be a lot worse without it, especially since its special attacks are only 90 BP is not perfect and there's no way this runs a physical set unless I actively try to give it one. 100 is not great by today's standards, especially if you don't have a boosting item or ability, and I could easily put it into both and feel fine about it. Since neither its attacking power nor its defensive presence were perfect, I felt fine enough putting 130 points into Speed but honestly didn't think nearly as hard about this as the rest.

With all of that, I felt that this Pokemon's stats could easily be changed into 90/60/80/100/140/130 and the Pokemon would not feel different at all since the bulk and offensive presence would line up. That's only 600 BST and doesn't look especially far off from Cryogonal, even if this obviously would have a bit more than that - Calm Mind, Fairy stuff, and a lot more Speed being the big ones. I didn't make this comparison before but felt that the issues I mentioned earlier would be enough to hold it back. So I sent it off as is, kind of was on the fence because this was still a REALLY stupid idea but hey, there's no way this mod was ever going to be balanced in the first place, so why not take the risk if you can say you had reason to think it would be okay?

Then I remembered abilities existed and kind of feared that this would have Snow Warning to potentially become a super strong Aurora Veil setter. That would be a problem, but I doubt this community would want to make another Snow Warning mon Ice/Fairy since people do tend to complain when mons are too similar to other stuff that exists in standard, so it should be fine.

Nope.

This one got freaking Fluffy instead.

...yeah that's a yikes. This thing is going to be pretty dumb for CM + Draining Kiss stuff which I kinda failed to realize while making this, and Fluffy only makes that problem worse. You could be that guy and say "it loses to Steel-types and Fire-types" and I haven't looked at everything but I wouldn't be surprised if it could just find a way to boost past those too given how strong it now is in both defensive stats especially. Would it have been broken without it? Maybe, but I really don't want to think about that right now.

Anyways I would like to formally apologize to Lady Salamence for ruining their mon and also announce my retirement from Smogon forever. Have a good one.
worlds longest john

Alright... my time has come. I am going to review EVERY MON

Basalisk: Pretty cool guy. Nice statspread and Knock is super great, but it wishes it had SD or something to make up for how difficult it is to bring it in. Also no Rain so Swift Swim does nothing.

Beryl: Shitmon lol. Berry mon with horrible stats and a movepool of all time. I don't see why I'd ever use this despite it being one of only 3 Fairies.

Bexipine: Initially wrote this off as terrible but it's actually kinda good with Ice Scales. Could see this running bulky CM sets, or maybe being a Spiker.

Biden Blaster: Interesting offensive mon. I can see Specs sets being good, as well as Calm Mind, but this likely is difficult to justify over the other Bug/Steel.

Blunderbass: Why does this mon get infinite moves lol. Looks alright; lots of great Sharpshooter options, but its stats let it down and it doesn't really have the utility to make defensive sets work.

Combaudit: This mon is a little silly tbh. Very good voltturn option thanks to 120 Attack STAB U-Turn with 130 Speed, plus an immunity to its only weakness making its bulk a lot more passable than it would at first appear. Probably fine overall due to the sheer number of resists for its STABs, plus the admittedly terrible physbulk, but I'll need to see how this one plays out.

Dolsin: Basalisk syndrome returns with yet another mon that really wishes it had setup or pivoting. But alas, this mon doesn't, so it's kinda shit. Merciless could be cool but is unlikely to be good due to the sheer amount of Toxic immunities in the meta, plus the other Water/Poison just looks much better overall.

Extreme Ribbit: This guy's kinda stupid honestly. Confusion Toxic Chain is really annoying, especially on a mon that's also the speed ceiling for the meta, has pivoting, and that has a great move for spreading Confusion if it wants to in Gear Grind. Overall seems really unfun to go against, which sucks considering it was my concept.

Fantacee: Pretty cool guy. Mon wishes it could leverage that juicy 117 Attack, but it unfortunately lacks good physical STABs for BOTH of its types, so you'll have to make do with special sets. Luckily for it, Shadow Ball is very spammable and Draco Meteor is no slouch either, even with how common resists are, so I bet this mon has a place in the meta.

Gasket: Lol this mon is really dumb. The fact that the movepool guy saw Desolate Land and thought Eruption and Hydro Steam were good additions is beyond me (Hydro Steam fizzles out, by the way). Even beyond Desolate Land, I think the triple immunity to weakness abil gimmick is really dumb, and resists for Fire move+coverage are pretty hard to come by, so overall I think this mon is a serious problem.

Glassupreme: Pretty strong mon, and Fire STAB is quite nice in this meta. The rocks weakness and terrible bulk do worry me quite a lot, but I think this mon at least has potential with its skillset.

Handeyebert: SD Disguise guy. Looks good, clicks moves, takes names. Resists for Dual STABs are limited to Soupirate and nothing else, so if you get a free setup turn you're set. Not much else to say.

Hourcuuda: This guy is really dumb lol. Shockingly, there's a fair number of resists for Ghost/Fairy STABs in the meta, but much less shockingly they all fold to Close Combat. Likely too much for the meta overall.

Icybeeyem: My favorite Ice type. Pretty great pivot except nope it doesn't get pivoting. Welp. Would be crazy if that exact problem showed up again in this list. This mon lacking Knock Off unfortunately limits what it can do by quite a bit. Despite how amazing its defensive profile is, its lack of offensive presence and utility likely limits its usage greatly.

Jubaturbo: The other Normal/Steel. Mon gets a metric ton of utility between Knock Off, Rapid Spin, and Spikes, and Speed Boost allows it to snowball if the opponent's checks are weakened, but unfortunately I don't think this mon has what it takes. Normal/Steel is awful offensively, lacking pivoting severely limits what this mon can do, and its bulk is pretty bad as well even with Slack Off, so I'm not sure I see a future for this one.

Maraiste: The tier's only Electric!!! Quiver Dance sets on this look pretty stellar thanks to its great bulk, coverage, and access to Strength Sap, though I'm sure physical sets could also be explored. Electric is a pretty valuable offensive type here, so I'm hoping this one pans out.

Medusear: Strange mon. Without Swords Dance or recovery, I'm not really sure what this mon is doing, but perhaps something will stand out with time.

Octazure: It's no Pex, but this is still a pretty solid physical wall. Knock Off, Toxic Spikes, and Baneful Bunker are all great tools to have, and with Grounds, Psychics, and Electrics all not being all that common in this meta, you have lots of opportunities to stick around for a while.

Ohmyrod: VERY funny guy. 130 Attack Surging Strikes goes WILD, and with Synthesis in tandem with great physical bulk, this mon has the ability to stick around for a while and deal big damage in the process. Also provides a solid stopgap against sweepers thanks to Innards Out, which is great compression.

Osbait: The NP Oblivion Wing is real. Mon goes very hard with Nasty Plot sets, and since its STABs are nearly unresisted in the meta it can just click them with abandon. Very solid offensive threat.

Ostretch: Fat Flamigo. Mon gets every tool it needs to be good, whether it be through offensive sets with Hustle or more defensive sets to leverage its great typing and bulk. Should be a very solid glue mon.

Parkyon: Horrifically bad. No clue what this mon is doing with that terrible typing and those unoptimized stats, but whatever it is, it's not going to be good.

Quackologist: My art so instant 10/10. This mon is absolutely insane though. Funny haha Haze on switch-in totally denies any setup sweepers that can't break through it naturally, so teams that want to use setup will HAVE to prep for this mon. Outside of that, it's also a pretty solid special wall and Calm Mind wincon.

Retrucable: This mon's viability is definitely a product of the meta it's found itself in lol. Poison/Steel with Neutralizing Gas makes it a complete counter to Unpatroll, and the low amount of Ground types in the meta also means that 4x weakness is a lot less unbearable (plus that Fighting neutrality is actually huge in the current meta). Should be a great option for teams.

Shadelisk: Funny guy. Another mon with a great matchup into Unpatroll, and Regenerator + U-Turn is always good. Unfortunately, its typing lets it down quite a bit outside of the troll matchup, but with its great skillset I can imagine it finding a niche for itself.

Slugchuck: Another funny one. Mon unfortunately lacks the movepool to make use of its signature ability, but physical Rocky Payload sets are still quite good, and STAB U-Turn with a rocks neutrality makes for a great Choiced pivot.

Soupirate: What Icybeeyem wishes it was. Great bulk, Intimidate, and access to U-Turn and STAB Knock Off all make for an amazing defensive pivot, though it is admittedly a bit passive. Should still be a great option.

Strawmmoth: Another strong Water/Grass, though this one unfortunately lives in the shadow of Ohmyrod. Access to Flip Turn and Natural Cure are some pretty notable differences, but overall I think this guy is just outclassed.

Unpatroll: The chief funny. While the meta may be very equipped to handle this, Unpatroll is something that MUST be respected both in the builder and in battle, as if left unchecked it can take away games with the power of Calm Mind sets. It remains to be seen whether this mon is too much or is just kinda bad.

Wolversnare: I wanna say this mon goes hard. The highest Attack stat in the meta on a great offensive type combined with access to Rapid Spin and Spikes make this mon very solid, but its low speed does somewhat limit it. Still, the Ground typing is a hot commodity in this so far, so I think it'll make it work.

Overall, I think things went about as well as they could have. I'm very happy with how the mons turned out, and the meta is shaping up to be very unique. Looking forward to playing this once it's coded!

Initial Ranking:

Banned: Gasket, Hourcuuda
Meta-Defining: Extreme Ribbit, Handeyebert, Osbait, Quackologist, Unpatroll
Very Good: Combaudit, Fantacee, Maraiste, Ohmyrod, Ostretch, Octazure, Retrucable, Slugchuck, Soupirate, Wolversnare
Good: Bexipine, Biden Blaster, Glassupreme, Icybeeyem, Shadelisk, Strawmmoth
Meh: Basalisk, Blunderbass, Dolsin, Jubaturbo, Medusear
Bad: Beryl, Parkyon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)