Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

What you watched follows the Gen8Ru banlist, not the Monotype banlist. Damp Rock is not banned in that tier, so it wasn’t banned in the Monotype version of it.
Ohhh makes sense now thanks.

So I'm curious, does Underused-of-Monotype and below etc. , actually exist as playable tours / tiers?

Ohhh makes sense now thanks.

So I'm curious, does Underused-of-Monotype and below etc. , actually exist as playable tours / tiers?
Monotype has its own usage based tier called Monotype LU (lesser used) to avoid confusion with the standard UU/RU/NU etc. resources for this, and our other OMs, can be found here:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-om-mega-thread.3660464/page-3#post-8799374
If you join the mono chat room we have tournaments in the meta sometimes & there are usually people who will play it with you

Excuse me but I would like to ask about togekiss in a mono-flying team, since it is my favourite pokemon I have always used it, but can't really tell if it should be an special attacker or a support defogger, just got started here for a while and would like some advice please, here is my team for reference if you need it. 飛行モノタイプ (pokepast.es)
Togekiss is a nasty plot sweeper, typically with the following set:

Togekiss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Thunder Wave/Substitute

You should be running something like Mantine or Mandibuzz for defog support, preferably over Dragonite if you really want to be running togekiss which should be running this set:

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed/Roost

Mandibuzz and Mantine usually run the following sets:

Mantine @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 172 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Haze /Defog
- Roost
- Toxic
You should be running 96 speed on haze to outspeed adamant azumarill if it sets up, otherwise just run max spdef

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

A few other things I would change would be to change Celesteela to physically defensive over specially defensive, and replace flamethrower with toxic and heavy slam over flash cannon. On Thundurus-Therian if you want to be running scarf you could be running volt switch over psychic to help with pivoting and to have a volt-turn core with Landorus-Therian.

These would be the changes I would make: https://pokepast.es/4700d799112ec838

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Togekiss is a nasty plot sweeper, typically with the following set:

Togekiss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Thunder Wave/Substitute

You should be running something like Mantine or Mandibuzz for defog support, preferably over Dragonite if you really want to be running togekiss which should be running this set:

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed/Roost

Mandibuzz and Mantine usually run the following sets:

Mantine @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 172 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze /Defog
- Roost
- Toxic
You should be running 96 speed on haze to outspeed adamant azumarill if it sets up, otherwise just run max spdef

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

A few other things I would change would be to change Celesteela to physically defensive over specially defensive, and replace flamethrower with toxic and heavy slam over flash cannon. On Thundurus-Therian if you want to be running scarf you could be running volt switch over psychic to help with pivoting and to have a volt-turn core with Landorus-Therian.

These would be the changes I would make: https://pokepast.es/4700d799112ec838

Hope that helps.
thanks a lot for the details and the effort put into the post, and sorry if my english is not that great.

Are you planning on banning/suspecting darm galar?

it hits like a freight train with gorilla tactics and can outspeed a lot of the meta with choice scarf

Teleport has great use as it pretty much slow pivots teammates in while also working well with its ability Regenerator. Future Sight in conjunction with Teleport pressures switches and helps breakers like Urshifu-R, Barraskewda, and Dracovish get rid of threats or Pokemon, in general, a lot easier. Its Psychic typing is also amazing because it gives Water a switchin to Pokemon like Tapu Lele and Alakazam while also pressuring fat like Toxapex and Amoonguss once Future Sight is used. Slowking should be wary of the occasional Energy Ball Tapu Lele as shown in this replay from MWP.
Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Teleport
- Slack Off
Are there any good replays or strategy ideas for Water Rain teams versus Fairy? I am playing Water Rain and this is one of the harder match ups due to there being multiple bulky checks under screens to deal with. I find it hard to find a consistent winco.

I have started running Poison Jab on banded Urshifu-R, but it is hard to OHKO these bulky mons who can OHKO you back.

just saw an argument about whether stockpile pex is good or not in mt.

is it an underrated lategame wincon for water and poison?

just saw an argument about whether stockpile pex is good or not in mt.

is it an underrated lategame wincon for water and poison?
Stockpile is an unviable move mainly because you can use it 3 times in a row max.
If you want to use this kind of strategy you have to use Cosmic Power, the main abuser is mew because after few Cosmic Power he can hit hard his opponent with Stored Power and Body Press, when pokemon like Toxapex still do nothing after his boost.

Hi I am new here. I was making a team for mono fighting. Here is the team https://pokepast.es/3cdd734085aa3ec4 what should be my last mon and how should I fix the team?
I have a few thoughts on your team. You are using great pokemon, just some of them are not up to their fullest potential.

Lucario:
I admire the innovation, and of course you can try it ladder. You can even try specs. However, the whole point of using lucario to begin with is to fight fairy and sort of resist psychic. I think that coballion does a much better job at doing so. Its enormous defense and stellar speed coupled with volt switch is much better at handling pokemon like tapu lele, victini, and jirachi as well as providing a nice tool for water types. Don't worry about investing in special attack, volt switch is there for momentum. Plus:
0- SpA Cobalion Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Pelipper: 224-264 (85.8 - 101.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
In fact coba is a better stealth rock setter for fighting.

Keldeo:
Great set, switch air slash for flip turn, fighting is frail, momentum is very needed.

Terrakion:
This is the cornerstone of fighting and you are using it completely wrong. Tera is not a stealth rocker. It's either and scarf or band mon. The scarf variant is there to clean late game with ease. Band variant is there for smashing teams apart for lat game cleaner.

Gapdos:
The set is great. Please run uturn, again, momentum is crucial on fighting. Also, if tera is scarf, run band on gapdos. If tera is band, run scraf gapdos. Thunderous kick, personally works better as fighting move.

Kommo-o:
Just use buzzwole. It's more useful. kommo-o doesn't help the dragon MU that much. It's too slow. At that point, you can just use buzzwole for higher physical bulk.

Last Mon:
Run toxicroak. Dry skin helps a lot it vs swift swim water, especially ursh-R. Run a SD set w/h sd,cc,p-jab,eq(for kelf). This is the mon to help you for fairy types. Run scarf if you want to completely stop lele.

Conclusion:
I mention lele a lot. That's because fighting almost gets destroyed by it. The same way ice has almost nothing for melm. As such, make sure to have ways to kill lele, both specs/scarf variants.

I have a few thoughts on your team. You are using great pokemon, just some of them are not up to their fullest potential.

Lucario:
I admire the innovation, and of course you can try it ladder. You can even try specs. However, the whole point of using lucario to begin with is to fight fairy and sort of resist psychic. I think that coballion does a much better job at doing so. Its enormous defense and stellar speed coupled with volt switch is much better at handling pokemon like tapu lele, victini, and jirachi as well as providing a nice tool for water types. Don't worry about investing in special attack, volt switch is there for momentum. Plus:
0- SpA Cobalion Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Pelipper: 224-264 (85.8 - 101.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
In fact coba is a better stealth rock setter for fighting.

Keldeo:
Great set, switch air slash for flip turn, fighting is frail, momentum is very needed.

Terrakion:
This is the cornerstone of fighting and you are using it completely wrong. Tera is not a stealth rocker. It's either and scarf or band mon. The scarf variant is there to clean late game with ease. Band variant is there for smashing teams apart for lat game cleaner.

Gapdos:
The set is great. Please run uturn, again, momentum is crucial on fighting. Also, if tera is scarf, run band on gapdos. If tera is band, run scraf gapdos. Thunderous kick, personally works better as fighting move.

Kommo-o:
Just use buzzwole. It's more useful. kommo-o doesn't help the dragon MU that much. It's too slow. At that point, you can just use buzzwole for higher physical bulk.

Last Mon:
Run toxicroak. Dry skin helps a lot it vs swift swim water, especially ursh-R. Run a SD set w/h sd,cc,p-jab,eq(for kelf). This is the mon to help you for fairy types. Run scarf if you want to completely stop lele.

Conclusion:
I mention lele a lot. That's because fighting almost gets destroyed by it. The same way ice has almost nothing for melm. As such, make sure to have ways to kill lele, both specs/scarf variants.
Thanks

New user here. Can you explain why Cinccino is unviable in this meta?
I know Skill Link sets are badly outclassed by Diggersby and Obstagoon, but what about Technician Triple Axel? I've explored through Monotype, PU, and ZU Discords and never got any information about the set's viability, apart from one ZU player stating 'btw technician needs more exploration imo'

Apart from lack of coverage to hit Steels, what are the problems of running this set?
EDIT: This is the team I use this Technician set for: https://pokepast.es/c5859d3b7618cdaa

Last edited:
New user here. Can you explain why Cinccino is unviable in this meta?
I know Skill Link sets are badly outclassed by Diggersby and Obstagoon, but what about Technician Triple Axel? I've explored through Monotype, PU, and ZU Discords and never got any information about the set's viability, apart from one ZU player stating 'btw technician needs more exploration imo'

Apart from lack of coverage to hit Steels, what are the problems of running this set?
EDIT: This is the team I use this Technician set for: https://pokepast.es/c5859d3b7618cdaa
Cinccino doesn't have a niche on normal because it struggles to break through other things besides steel, which is one of the most common types used in both tournaments and on the ladder, these other types can include Poison, Flying, Ghost, Grass and Psychic off of the top of my head. Cinccino is also incredibly frail on top of being not good at providing offensive presence or some form of utility, which basically has you starting off the game using 5 mons vs 6 in team preview. Finally, running Cinccino also means you give up a valuable team slot on a type that has a very rigid team structure which is necessary for normal to carve a niche for itself, the team structure usually consists of Blissey/Porygon2/Ditto/Diggersby/Bewear/Helioisk (or Braviary if you want defog).

Hope that helps.

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
Hello!

I'm new to Monotype, but I have a few teams.

On Grass: I don't understand why Alolan Exeggutor is frowned upon, being (in my opinion) a decent SubSeed (Harvest + some grass/dragon type w/ Sunny Day can ruin you). Also, now Grass's weakness to Fire is removed...

Here is my sample set: Alolan Exeggutor Set (pokepast.es)

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hello!

On Grass: I don't understand why Alolan Exeggutor is frowned upon, being (in my opinion) a decent SubSeed (Harvest + some grass/dragon type w/ Sunny Day can ruin you). Also, now Grass's weakness to Fire is removed...

Hi welcome to monotype owo
Alolan Exeggutor is frowned upon in grass mono as it doesnt really provide anything (Fire is covered by Cradily, Whimsicott + Zarude carries in dragon mu), plus it doesnt even help much in the said mus; Its too slow to grab kills...
....however, a TR team might be plausible for A.Eggy, but the effort needed to build a team around it makes it kinda low in the vr.

Hello!

The problem with Grass from the start is that it has a lot of weaknesses. Because of that you need to be very strategic about what Pokémon you use on your team.

There are a lot of “staples” so to speak, both defensively and offensively. Ferrothrorn, Cradily (or sometimes Appletun), Rillaboom are all pretty much must haves. There are other very highly used like Whimsicott, Zarude, Celebi, Decidueye, Rotom, Amoongus, and even Tangrowth that tend to check more boxes of necessities for Grass to function than Exeggutor does. It’s also quite slow, a bit passive and very weak to Ice coverage which has always been quite prevalent in Monotype.

Now all of that being said doesn’t mean that there aren’t more niche or targeted builds where Exeggutor can’t shine. It’s all about your building skills and the match up.

Hopefully that answers your question!

Last edited:
Also, I would like feedback on my Ghost mono: Ghostly Sights (pokepast.es)
Nice looking team, but there are a few updates I’d like to suggest to round out the effectiveness and capitalize better on some of the set directions you started in.

:Dragapult:
Creepy Catapult (Dragapult) @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Sucker Punch
- Dragon Dance
You were going in the right direction by trying to boost attack, but because Dragapult is fast and strong we should go all in on that. I removed Curse for Dragon Dance and switched the attacks to deal the most amount of damage. This way you have a very hard to stop sweeper.

:Doublade: -> :Aegislash:
Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
Lucky for Ghost, Aegislash isn’t banned this Gen and it does what Doublade does, but better is almost all fashions. Now the set I put was just based on what your Doublade set was but Aegislash is flexible enough to run a multitude of sets that you can take your pick from. The other common set for Aegislash on Ghost is as a Specially Defensive wall.
Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- King's Shield
- Substitute

:Polteageist:
I just switched Psychic to Stored Power; with Shell Smash, Stored Powers base power is higher than Psychic. The only consideration for keeping Psychic is for damage output without Shell Smash. Feel free to chance back to Psychic if you prefer.

:Decidueye: -> :Corsola-Galar:
Ghostly Coral (Corsola-Galar) @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
Calm Nature
- Night Shade
- Stealth Rock
- Strength Sap
- Will-O-Wisp
This is the only major change but it’s important. Corsola not only allows you access to hazards but also another way to cripple and wear down your opponents for late game sweeps from Dragapult, Polteageist or Gengar. Decidueye, covering Water and Ground MUs isn’t missed because Ground typically struggles to KO Corsola and Water has a hard time dealing with Dragapult after one Dragon Dance.

Here is the final updated team:https://pokepast.es/0a1ee93ec02a4d41
Give it a try and let me know how it works!

Dead by Daylight

One quick question:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Night Slash
- King's Shield

Would this be a good set for it?

+2 Attack Aegislash is going to tear through a team with STAB Shadow Sneaks, and Night Slash is good for when you need more damage output. King's Shield can stall for a turn and reset Aegi to its base Shield Forme, which means it can tank a -1 Earthquake from a Landorus after King's Shield attack drop.

I think this set would appreciate some hazard setters, like G-Corsola, who can set up Focus Sash breakers.

Last edited:
One quick question:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Night Slash
- King's Shield

Aegi already has a Attack stat of 150 at Sword Form. The Leftovers recovery is useful with toggling King's Shield and gaining 6% HP for free.

However, that, or Doublade @ Eviolite?

Doublade has No Guard, which can be useful in some niche situations, and Eviolite is a really good item.
I’d change Night Slash to Iron Head or Close Combat, other wise that set works as well! Like I said, Aegislash is very flexible

Dead by Daylight

Nice looking team, but there are a few updates I’d like to suggest to round out the effectiveness and capitalize better on some of the set directions you started in.

:Dragapult:
Creepy Catapult (Dragapult) @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Sucker Punch
- Dragon Dance
You were going in the right direction by trying to boost attack, but because Dragapult is fast and strong we should go all in on that. I removed Curse for Dragon Dance and switched the attacks to deal the most amount of damage. This way you have a very hard to stop sweeper.

:Doublade: -> :Aegislash:
Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
Lucky for Ghost, Aegislash isn’t banned this Gen and it does what Doublade does, but better is almost all fashions. Now the set I put was just based on what your Doublade set was but Aegislash is flexible enough to run a multitude of sets that you can take your pick from. The other common set for Aegislash on Ghost is as a Specially Defensive wall.
Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- King's Shield
- Substitute

:Polteageist:
I just switched Psychic to Stored Power; with Shell Smash, Stored Powers base power is higher than Psychic. The only consideration for keeping Psychic is for damage output without Shell Smash. Feel free to chance back to Psychic if you prefer.

Calm Nature
- Night Shade
- Stealth Rock
- Strength Sap
- Will-O-Wisp
This is the only major change but it’s important. Corsola not only allows you access to hazards but also another way to cripple and wear down your opponents for late game sweeps from Dragapult, Polteageist or Gengar. Decidueye, covering Water and Ground MUs isn’t missed because Ground typically struggles to KO Corsola and Water has a hard time dealing with Dragapult after one Dragon Dance.

I feel like Ghost doesn't have much, if any, momentum setters, and Dragapult with its blistering speed could make it be a really good one... Also, it punches a few holes with U-turn, and sets up Aegislash to Swords Dance & Shadow Sneak its way to victory. Also, why G-Corsola and not Cursola?

I feel like Ghost doesn't have much, if any, momentum setters, and Dragapult with its blistering speed could make it be a really good one... Also, it punches a few holes with U-turn, and sets up Aegislash to Swords Dance & Shadow Sneak its way to victory. Also, why G-Corsola and not Cursola?
Ghost is more about positioning set up sweepers because it doesn’t have a lot of momentum. You’re kind of watering down Dragapults effectiveness by switching it out when you can get it in.

Corsola is bulkier than Cursola thanks to Eviolite

Dead by Daylight

Calm Nature
- Night Shade
- Stealth Rock
- Strength Sap
- Will-O-Wisp

[/QUOTE]

It works nicely, thanks! However, I have just one question: Why Will-O-Wisp over Icy Wind? With IW, you lower Speed, possibly making it easier for Polteageist to come in w/ Shell Smash, as before it, it has a middling 70 base. Also, Ghost doesn't need burns, because the biggest threat to them, Dark-types, are most likely special attackers that don't mind the 1/2 loss of physical attack

Just a few questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)