Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

Dead by Daylight

16 colors, I’m so lonely
is a Pre-Contributor
WP Tyranitar > Lum Berry Tyranitar?

Tyranitar's mixed bulk lets it survive a 2x effective hit (sadly no Fighting-type moves) and activate Weakness Policy, that coupled with DD/STAB Stone Edge can make it a fearsome sweeper. So why does nobody run it? I understand burns stop it in its tracks, but you have status absorbers for that reason (I use Zarude on Dark and Shuckle on Rock).

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
WP Tyranitar > Lum Berry Tyranitar?

Tyranitar's mixed bulk lets it survive a 2x effective hit (sadly no Fighting-type moves) and activate Weakness Policy, that coupled with DD/STAB Stone Edge can make it a fearsome sweeper. So why does nobody run it? I understand burns stop it in its tracks, but you have status absorbers for that reason (I use Zarude on Dark and Shuckle on Rock).
Uh ur better off with lefties (if you run sub) over wp, as at +1 speed, ttar is still fairly slow. Soo, assuming you invest in bulk (like goltres does to live stuff), ttar will either be too slow or too weak to properly sweep. Also, Ttar is only good for tanking special super effective attacks, so eating a phys SE hit to proc wp will make it too weak to be easily picked off. Also Stone edge is outclassed by rock blast/slide as missing when ur trying to sweep is tear inducing. (Also 8 pp moment makes Pressure stalling w/ Corv or Kyurem a thing compared to blast/slide)

Lum berry allows it to sweep properly too, as some mons do fish for burns like Pex...and Scald mons in general

Which mons on flying can help me break a specific playstyle, like HO or balance? I have some trouble breaking stall and balance but I also want to know what is helping me to do better against offense

Which mons on flying can help me break a specific playstyle, like HO or balance? I have some trouble breaking stall and balance but I also want to know what is helping me to do better against offense
Pokemon with set up moves typically help break down slower cores. Examples being Thundurus-Therian or Moltres-Galar who both have access to Nasty Plot.

HO is typically beaten by attrition; making sure they can't set up and sweep while you slowly whittle down their HP.

Dead by Daylight

16 colors, I’m so lonely
is a Pre-Contributor
Are there specific archetypes mainly used for teams?

(ex: Steel/Poison are barely ever HO, Fire is usually balanced-HO, etc.)

Neko

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
My thoughts on that, probably incomplete / missed a few because Idk all the teams ever but here are some of the most common ones:
Fairy (Screens Klefki)
Dark (Screens Grimmsnarl)
Ghost (with Froslass, sometimes with screens)
Fire (Screens Rotom)
Rock (TR Stak or Shuckle)
Bug (Webs offense)
Fighting (They just setup and try to sweep over and over, so...)
Steel (Skarmory / Klefki + Priority spam)
Ground (Sand Excadrill)
Water (Rain Barraskewda/Kingdra)
Ice (Hail Arctozolt)
Grass (Sun from Whimsicott + Venusaur)
Fire
Ice (though you have a temporary wall in Defensive Avalugg / Cloy + SpDef Piloswine)
Dragon (spdef pivot in Dragalgae/ temporary def wall in Garchomp)
Electric (temporary defense in Magnezone and Rotom-W)
Rainless Water (Slowking)
Ghost (temporary wall in G.Corsola)
Ground (Sandless)
Steel (Ferro + Heatran + Steel Birb)
Grass (Cradily + Ferro + Amoon)
Flying (Celes + Lando + Mantine)
Normal (P2 + Blissey)
Dark (Mandi + Ttar + Sableye)
Psychic (Slowbro + Glowking)
Rainless Water (Slowking + Toxapex)
Poison (Pex + Amoon + G.Weeze + Glowking f u n)
Water (Mantine + Lanturn + Pex + Quagsire, ty Kai :blobnom: )

Last edited:
Victini @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bolt Strike
- Scorching Sands
- Substitute

Is there any reason why Heat Wave is used for fire STAB over something like Blue Flare or V-Create?

Neko

Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bolt Strike
- Scorching Sands
- Substitute

Is there any reason why Heat Wave is used for fire STAB over something like Blue Flare or V-Create?
The usual set uses V-create and 252 Atk, as Psychic monotype already has a lot of Special attackers (namely Lele, Hatt, Latis, Glowking) and it lets Victini remove Volcarona. The only reason you'd use that would probably be the other guy hates Steel and Ferro so much, as seen with the inclusion of Scorching Sands to snipe Heatran. Also with a Timid nature, Bolt strike becomes not...threatening at all. Glowking also can run Flamethrower + Eq to snipe steels too and makes Victini more Physically inclined, if you still want the Steel-killing thing tho.
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-Turn
- Substitute

Dead by Daylight

16 colors, I’m so lonely
is a Pre-Contributor
Fishsticks, you mentioned that Psychic does use hazard-stacking.

But is it viable anymore?

With the inclusion of Heavy-Duty Boots, nobody realy cares about hazards...

Neko

It depends on the monotype used. Boots spam means ur giving up damage, sustain, utility,or speed control due to lack of Choice Band or Life Orb, Lefties, Rocky Helmet, or Choice Scarf. Though Boots is very much worth on mons very weak to Stealth Rocks (like Volcarona), mons that like to be in the field whenever a passive mon shows up (like Kyurem), or Defoggers (like Volcanion and Mantine), most teams (unless Fire/Flying/Bug) will not have more than 1-2 boots (Steel and Ground teams, for example, doesn't run it at all and they dont have that much removal options).

There are still plenty of types (the bulkier ones) that don’t like hazards. Poison, Steel and Water all have parts of their defensive cores that don’t run Boots (of course some so as well though). So hazard stack isn’t complete obsolete

There are still plenty of types (the bulkier ones) that don’t like hazards. Poison, Steel and Water all have parts of their defensive cores that don’t run Boots (of course some so as well though). So hazard stack isn’t complete obsolete
Here is the thing with these types. Poison core has 3 regenrator pokemon, making most hazards apart from webs a non factor. Steel resist stealth rock and has excellent spin in excadrill what threathen a huge amount of hazard setters and steel is notorious for hazard stacking itself while removing hazards itself. In addition, both are immune of remove toxic spikes. The main reason to use hazards is not because of bulkier types, it's for weakning types that struggle vs hazards or get chipped heavily. For example, water is a good one. Swampert has no recovery making defog on peli bordeline necessary. Normal and ghost both have garbage hazard removal. Those are just the biggest culprit. Most monotype teams apart from those weak to rocks don't use HDB that much. THAT's why you use hazards.

Here is the thing with these types. Poison core has 3 regenrator pokemon, making most hazards apart from webs a non factor. Steel resist stealth rock and has excellent spin in excadrill what threathen a huge amount of hazard setters and steel is notorious for hazard stacking itself while removing hazards itself. In addition, both are immune of remove toxic spikes. The main reason to use hazards is not because of bulkier types, it's for weakning types that struggle vs hazards or get chipped heavily. For example, water is a good one. Swampert has no recovery making defog on peli bordeline necessary. Normal and ghost both have garbage hazard removal. Those are just the biggest culprit. Most monotype teams apart from those weak to rocks don't use HDB that much. THAT's why you use hazards.
I don't fully agree here.
Poison:
Poison has up to 3 Regenerator Pokemon, yes. But hazards always means they have less HP on switch in; be it 12% from SR or 25% from 3 layers of Spikes. With those up that means Regenerator is only returning 21% and 8% respectively, or with all hazards up, Regenerator doesn't return more HP than they lose on switch in.

Steel:
Yes, it resists SR, but Spikes is still very detrimental to things like Ferrothorn and Aegislash. Excadrill can spin but they don't run Heavy-Duty Boots so the spinner is now taking hazard damage every time they switch in to clear.

Water, Steel and Poison were among just a few examples, not the only types that hazards are strong against. If you'd like I can provide a more detailed breakdown of hazards effectiveness per type.

NGL, not for beef, but for personal improvement, I legit wanna see said breakdown.
As mentioned before with types that are weak to Stealth Rock, Bug does run a lot of HDB. But there are some that don't run it and can be whittled down to your benefits. On my own Bug the ones that don't don't 25% from SR don't have HDB (Heracross, Scizor, Buzzwole). Spikes and SR up buts the two Fighting-types on a clock since they have no recovery. Depending on the Scizor set it can be damage down the same way or be less effective as a defensive switch in. Others that might not have HDB that could be nice to chip down are Shuckle or Araquanid.

Tyranitar is the most notable threat on Dark that is easily chipped down by hazards. By keeping hazards up you can break down Tyranitar or force Mandibuzz to keep coming in; which means they have to choose chip, Knock Off or hazard removal with Mandibuzz in play. Breaking down that backbone of balanced is ideal in setting up the win. Against Screens Dark, they have no removal so Spikes and SR are very nice to get free damage to stop the set up sweepers.

Dragon is a great team to hazard stack against. A lot of teams have stopped running Lati twins which are typically Scarfed and their only option to Defog. This helps break down Dragalge most notably as well as Garchomp or Kommo-o.

The two most painful to deal with Pokemon on Electric are immune to Spikes, but do take damage from SR (Rotom and Zapdos). With Zapdos, getting SR up quickly can help you scout the set (Utility v. Specs) which is invaluable to know how to play the MU. Rotom doesn't have reliable recovery so keeping SR up and pressure on is how you can slowly break it down. The rest of the team typically doesn't run HDB so they are susceptible to hazard damage which is nice since most are frail.

Again another type with no hazard removal and few to no HDB users. The problem here is that they also rely on hazard stacking with Klefki so be careful about when you set up your hazards and how weak your team is to their Spikes. Another note is to watch out for Hatterene which would bounce hazards back, but that's pretty predictable.

I'll talk about Fighting even though is pretty much just the worst type. No reliable hazard removal. No reliable recovery and only ever 1 Pokemon immune to Spikes. Needless to say hazards are good in this MU

Much like Bug, there are a lot of HDB users, but that's ok. The most HDB they have to run, the more items they can't use on their team which is another benefit for you to know. Regardless of the high HDB usage, getting some sort of hazard up is nice to reveal which Pokemon are using HDB which helps to predict sets like BU v. Scarf Cinderace, etc.

Flying tends to run a lot of HDB as well, but not on the things that only take 12% like Lando, Corv, Celes, Skarm; all of which are hard AND important to KO. This makes them weak to chip damage (specifically Lando/Celes) or like with Mandibuzz forces them to Defog to prevent further damage. Those passive turns give you the chance to apply pressure and take KOs. Having SR up is also important to narrow down Thundurs-Therian and Moltres-G sets based on whether or not they are using HDB

Basically no hazard removal and no Levitate users. Get hazards up here, and you're in a VERY good position.

Again, another type with little to no Defog options and few to none Levitate users. Beung able to chip down Ferrothorn, Cradily and Amoonguss is great in breaking down the core. Once those are gone the rest of the team is typically quite manageable.

Another great type to stack Spikes against. The only hazard clearer is Excadrill which doesn't run HDB and is going to take damage every time it comes in. This helps break down Hippowdon and Gastrodon as well. Of course be wary of Landorus who would only be effected by SR and depending on the set sweep you.

Much like Fire, the fact that they are forced to run a lot of HDB means you know what their sets are more easily. This is best for Kyurem to scout Specs or SubRoost (of course still watch out for the rogue Chople variants). Beside that chipping down Helmet Cloysters or Piloswines is always nice.

Another low usage type but also weak to hazards as they don't have Staraptor anymore and almost no one runs Braviary. Blissey has increased in usage to allow it to run HDB, but the rest of the team is susceptible and will be chipped down over time.

One of the types I had mentioned earlier. Weezing and Crobat are the only hazard clearers and both are relatively passive. Again I'll note that even with the Regenerator core, having hazards up is always good. If you have 3 Spikes and SR, they aren't ever gaining HP back, which lower amounts of hazards that's just reducing the HP they can potentially gain. All of which is damage you wouldn't have had without hazards. Plain and simple, hazards help break the Poison core

This type is actually very good to stack against as well. Limited removal options, only real Spike immune Pokemon are Lati twins and helps to see if Victini is Band or HDB. The only Pokemon that might run HDB are either of the Kanto Slow twins which are quite passive and weak to Knock Off both in type effectiveness and utility to remove HDB.

Rock is a very offensive oriented type, meaning they are trying to pressure you with less regard for their own HP. This means if you can get hazards up, they are likely staying and putting all threats on a clock by limiting how often they can switch. As long as you can hold off the barrage or apply more pressure than they are, hazards will undoubtably be helpful.

Because Steel is NOT weak to SR, they commonly don't have hazard removal. If they do it's either Corv/Skarm or Excadrill. Excadrill as noted in the Ground summary will be taking damage to come in and clear. As for the birds, they are both much more passive having to clear hazards. Both also don't run Protect which helps you to get damage out without the worry of a Protect core scouting the proper immunity switch in. Ferrothorn has no reliable recovery so Spikes are very good in taking that down as well.

Toxapex, Swampert and Slowking are on SO many Water teams. With Slowking running HDB and Regenerator hazards are less effective unless you can Knock Off the Boots. But Swampert, much like Ferrothorn has no reliable recovery and is VERY susceptible to chip. Toxapex, much like on Poison doesn't appreciate the hazards as it cuts in to Regenerator recovery. The remainder of the teams on Water typically don't run HDB and therefor will be chipped down every time they come in, especially since Water does a lot of switching. The only exception is Pelipper which allows you to scout Specs/Scarf/HDB, if the latter you can pressure it as Defog is super passive, if the two former you it will be chipped down over time and will have less bulk.

These are rough overviews against the current meta and you always have to take it with a grain of salt since people can and do run crazy sets that are not standard. But overall hazards help break Focus Sash and Sturdy users, scout opposing items and narrow down set possibilities. It's not always about the damage they do or don't do, but also the information they provide you.[/SPOILER]

Last edited:
How do I beat sticky webs with ghost? 4/6 mons in my team are frail wallbreakers/sweepers and sticky webs is rlly annoying

Neko

How do I beat sticky webs with ghost? 4/6 mons in my team are frail wallbreakers/sweepers and sticky webs is rlly annoying
Sticky webs only exists in Bug and Rock and rarely Fairy, Water, Elec, Psychic though...those monos have much better options

>Taunt Froslass is good on Hyper Offensive Ghost teams, as its faster than Galvantula (the main sticky webb setter) and Cobalion (Fastest non-Scarf hazards setter), denying entry hazards on ur side
>Shuckle will still be able to Webs you though, but Tyranitar will still be slower than Spectrier, Nihilego is walled by Aegislash, and Terrakion gets checked by Mimi (if you preserve Disguise)​

>You could use Priority in the form of Mimikyu and Aegislash. Both also have Swords Dance to make their priority scarier. Aegis can also run Air Balloon, providing a funny Ground immunity (helpful for Ground mu too tho), allowing it to be unaffected by Hazards and helps you not get swept by (possibly) an Earthquake Buzzwole.

>Dragapult can also run Clear Body to avoid the Speed drops, but this doesn't really help much since it'll still get Bullet Punched or something.

>Spectrier is still naturally fast as it still outspeeds Adamant SD Scizor to cripple it, helping you deal with that...thing

>For less offensive teams Dhelmise has Rapid Spin and has Steel "STAB", which is helpful for Fairy. Your mileage may vary though.

Hello !

How do I deal with this 3 mons with a mono ice ?

- Scizor
- Urshifu-rapid-strike
- Blacephalon

Scizor: my team got 6-0 by scizor after one SD and I have like no answer at all.

For urshifu-rapid-strike: I lost like 2 or 3 mon to kill it because it outspeed even my Arctozolt or Darmanitan

Same with Blacephalon, it outspeed me and then after 1 or 2 kill it becomes unstoppable

Here's my team, I like it and don't want to change too much of the mon. Maybe using Mamoswine instead of Piloswine. I'm open to change set, EV, item etc.

Arctozolt @ Heavy-Duty Boots/ maybe Life orb ?
Ability: Slush Rush
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Stomping Tantrum

Ninetales-Alola @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power

Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Avalanche
- Body Press
- Recover

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Ice Shard

Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn

I m stuck around 1500 ladder.

Let me know if I should have post it somewhere else.

Thanks for your help !

Neko

Hello !

How do I deal with this 3 mons with a mono ice ?

- Scizor
- Urshifu-rapid-strike
- Blacephalon

Scizor: my team got 6-0 by scizor after one SD and I have like no answer at all.

For urshifu-rapid-strike: I lost like 2 or 3 mon to kill it because it outspeed even my Arctozolt or Darmanitan

Same with Blacephalon, it outspeed me and then after 1 or 2 kill it becomes unstoppable

Here's my team, I like it and don't want to change too much of the mon. Maybe using Mamoswine instead of Piloswine. I'm open to change set, EV, item etc.

Arctozolt @ Heavy-Duty Boots/ maybe Life orb ?
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Stomping Tantrum

Ninetales-Alola @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power

Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Avalanche
- Body Press
- Recover

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Ice Shard

Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn

I m stuck around 1500 ladder.

Let me know if I should have post it somewhere else.

Thanks for your help !
For Urshifu-R: Running Chople Berry (over Specs) Kyurem baits and removes this guy. Its to be noted tho that choice scarf Urshifu is a bit rare though. Alolan Ninetales can also OHKO, assuming Shifu isn't scarfed
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Chople Berry Kyurem: 322-379 (79.5 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
200 SpA Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. -1 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 500-590 (146.6 - 173%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Chople Berry Kyurem: 214-253 (52.8 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Ninetales-Alola Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 342-404 (100.2 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Kyurem @ Chople Berry
Level: 100
Timid Nature
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power

For Scizor: Running Iron Defense over Avalanche helps, because the only Steel thing Avalanche is hitting is....Aegislash. Though this means its very useless in the Ghost matchup, but that's not so bad. Ice vs. Bug is a bit hard considering Webs + Sciz + Volcarona. Its still too hard though if ever if Avalugg comes in on the SD (you're going to bank for 2 low rolls).
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 133-156 (33.7 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

For Blacephalon: Piloswine revengekills it. If you want a non-shaky check, running Choice Scarf Weavile helps too, as it outspeeds and terrorizes Ghost teams.
+1 252 SpA Blacephalon Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 164-194 (40.5 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Piloswine Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Blacephalon: 356-422 (144.1 - 170.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Weavile @ Choice Scarf
Level: 100
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick
- Foul Play
Hope this helped :blobnom:
EDIT:Fixed Kyurem calcs

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)