Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, I'll keep this in mind. Why do you suggest Scolipede specifically?
Scolipede is amazingly fast and has access to spikes and toxic spikes allowing your team to wear down offensive and defensive teams alike, and to quote somebody from RU "it eats cyanide and shits fucking acid".

If I EV trained a pokemon at lv1 and for random wifi matchup, is it necessary just to train him to lv50 or is there a reason to go more, 100? Because they cut you back to 50 anyway... and the stats are cut, I don't know about the EVs here... anyway, let me know what is the best thing to do for random matchups...

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If I EV trained a pokemon at lv1 and for random wifi matchup, is it necessary just to train him to lv50 or is there a reason to go more, 100? Because they cut you back to 50 anyway... and the stats are cut, I don't know about the EVs here... anyway, let me know what is the best thing to do for random matchups...
There is no reason to train past level 50 for RM, unless the Pokémon evolves or learns a useful move later than 50 (in which case there's no reason to train it past whatever level that happens at). EVs work exactly the same at every level except for minor rounding differences, so you can use the same spreads at 50 as you would at 100.

and if I already trained some to lv100, I assume they will have EVs as when they were at lv50 spreaded?

edit: nvm, i got it, thanks

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Just in case it's not entirely clear, the game doesn't remember what EVs it had at each level - when it goes down to 50, it will still keep the same EVs it had at 100.

just to double check to see if I am doing this correctly for random matchups:

I do it like this:

1) get a pokemon I need at lv1
2) everything above 100EV I use 10 proteins right away, the rest I do it with those wings... (I never enter a battle btw)
3) THEN, after I reach those EVs from the smogon articles/movesets, I then check with the white lady in Opelucid until she says 'great effort'.
4) then, i train it to lv50 (i use rare candies, or does it matter how i do it from here, is the spread the same?)
5) at lv50, teach moves, tms, etc and max the PP and that's it

is that a good way or bad way and WHY? thanks a lot, cause I need to know this, i don't want to waste my time if that's not the way it goes... thanks a lot :)

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
just to double check to see if I am doing this correctly for random matchups:

I do it like this:

1) get a pokemon I need at lv1
It doesn't have to be level 1, as long as it hasn't participated in any battles (besides the one to capture it, if it was a capture).

2) everything above 100EV I use 10 proteins right away, the rest I do it with those wings... (I never enter a battle btw)
Unless you're using AR for infinite wings, then gaining EVs through battle will be much faster. See this article for more information. Otherwise, correct.

3) THEN, after I reach those EVs from the smogon articles/movesets, I then check with the white lady in Opelucid until she says 'great effort'.
Correct, but keep in mind that the spreads in the articles will only add up to 508 out of 510 EVs, because the last two are irrelevant - you'll need to put two more in a random stat before you get the "great effort" message.

4) then, i train it to lv50 (i use rare candies, or does it matter how i do it from here, is the spread the same?)
If you did the previous steps correctly, it doesn't matter; once a Pokémon gets 510 EVs, that will never change unless you use the EV-reducing berries.

5) at lv50, teach moves, tms, etc and max the PP and that's it
Correct, unless it evolves or learns a level-up move that you want at a level higher than 50.

is that a good way or bad way and WHY? thanks a lot, cause I need to know this, i don't want to waste my time if that's not the way it goes... thanks a lot :)
Comments in bold.

but wait, one last bit I need here: if I can capture it at lv50 right away according to the above, then HOW will it then spread the EVs? cause it's ALREADY lv50? i mean i use wings, etc, but how will it spread? cause I need it AT lv50. so i was thinking in order for them to spread, you would need to get it at lv1 and up to lv50 to see the changes or according to what is said above, I can right away get it lv50, but then I don't see how the EVs are "spreaded" then if I don't battle with it... since I need him at lv50... thanks

but wait, one last bit I need here: if I can capture it at lv50 right away according to the above, then HOW will it then spread the EVs? cause it's ALREADY lv50? i mean i use wings, etc, but how will it spread? cause I need it AT lv50. so i was thinking in order for them to spread, you would need to get it at lv1 and up to lv50 to see the changes or according to what is said above, I can right away get it lv50, but then I don't see how the EVs are "spreaded" then if I don't battle with it... since I need him at lv50... thanks
EVs update after every battle. So if you can EV train it without leveling up, you're good. If you're too close to leveling, use wings.

in other words, from what you said, I can capture one at lv50, do my usual method for it's EVs and he will still be lv50, BUT with all the appropriate EVs good for a lv50 pokemon?

ingame what is the best way to train pokemon? i am talking BW. like what trainers to battle and items to get.

like are rare candys worth it? thank you for info already provided.
There isn't really a drawback to using them as long as you get your EV training in at some point. However, a pokemon that goes from level 1-100 using just Rare Candies will generally had worse stats than one that trained its way up since it won't have any EVs from battling.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Rare candies are only worth it if you're using AR or some other fast duplication method. Otherwise it'd be faster to just level grind.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
You can, tiers only go one way. NU Pokémon can be used in any tier, RU Pokémon can be used in any tier except NU, UU Pokémon can be used in any tier except NU and RU, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)