Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, another question >.>

Is there any way I can have HP Fire without having to lower speed IVs ?

Sorry if this is a really silly question but how do I decide when to put evs for HP, Def or S.Def. Thank You :)
usually people put EVs in their strong point (chansey and blissey are exceptions with their abysmal 10 base defence), if your making a defensive pokemon you almost always invest 252 into HP and the other 252 go into defence or SPDef if you plan to make a special wall, if your making a set check their analasys they usually have everything you need there

Where can i find a thread which lists some good 5th gen OU cores?
There are a couple of smog articles about cores but they are a bit outdated, some articles feature good cores for weather and teams styles but generally lurking around the forums is a good way to learn things like this,.

Actually, that's not strictly true. With a great many defensive Pokemon the best way to make a spread is break out a damage calculator like the ones in the first post of this thread and calculate a variety of different attacks against different EV Spreads to see what EVs you need to get the damage you want. For example, say you want a Forretress that cannot be 3HKO'd by +1 Dragonite Outrage and is not 2HKO'd by Specs Latios Draco Meteor. The first step is generally to maximise HP, because for the vast majority of Pokemon this is much more efficient than splitting EVs between the defensive stats; only Pokemon that have gigantic HP relative to their defenses see any benefit in not using full HP. I should not that a lot of people like to use 248 HP EVs anywhere this would give an odd HP stat, because odd HP reduces damage from Stealth Rock. Additionally, on a Pokemon with Leftovers, a number which is a multiple of 16 +1 will yield maximum Leftovers recovery - this is usually called a Leftovers number, and is not strictly necessary, but I believe optimal. (correct me if I'm wrong here, I think that's how you work out a Leftovers number...) With 248 EVs in HP, we have 260 usable EVs left for Forrestress' defenses, assuming we do not need to invest a little in special attack for HP Ice Forry because we are not using HP Ice. Forretress will have Leftovers, so after it has switched into Stealth Rock, it must take less than ~33% from Dragonite's Outrage to ensure that Leftovers will heal it into survival range. Against 248/0 Forry, this Outrage does 34-40%, so we must invest some defense EVs. With 248/252 neutral natured Forretress, Outrage tops out at 34% - this means we will need a defense-boosting nature to achieve the stat we want. With 248 HP, 176 Def and a defense boosting nature, Dragonite can do a maximum of 32.6% with Choice Band Outrage - not enough to 3HKO us, so this is the number we want. This leaves 84 EVs for Special Defense. Specs Latios Draco Meteor does 64-72% against 248/84 Forretress, so unfortunately we cannot avoid a 2HKO from this attack as we originally wished to. However, this spread does narrowly avoid a 2HKO from Dragon Pulse most of the time, taking a maximum of 49%. Therefore, a spread of 248/176/84 with a Relaxed nature seems to be the optimum is Forretress is asked to take on these two Pokemon.
That was just an example but the concept is relatively similar with any defensive Pokemon; Find an attack you want to live X hits from, play around with a damage calculator until you find a spread that does that, have a look at things you can try to do with the remaining EVs and eventually work out the best spread for your needs.

thnx for the answer guys

another one:
are the Hidden Powers Water/Fire boosted by their respective weather conditions?

Scizor+Rotom-W covers a good third or more of good teams at the moment. That makes bulky grasses with HP Fire very popular, but HP Fire Dragons are also a good bet. Gastrodon can also disrupt this core very easily because it is immune to both of Rotom-W's STAB moves.

simple question (and yes, i finally got those ev training things now, thanks smogon).

since random matchups drops to lv50 all above that, here is what i need to know:

1) lets say i have ev trained one to lv100 and will his stats be cut to what he HAD as ev or stats back when he was lv50 or how does it work? what mode has lv100 battles?

2) is it, then, better to just ev train from lv1 to lv50 for random matches?

thanks

Answering your first one, the stats drop to whatever the stats were at level 50, plus any extra EVs, so if you had a level 100 spiritomb with 0 evs in anything and then decide to ev train it and put it through random matchups it will have its lvl50 stats plus all the EVs on it, the battle subway has the same mechanics

answering 2nd question, if you plan to stay on random matchups its better to get your pokemon to learn its ideal moves, and go the rest of the way if its under lvl 50 or it could be the oposite where it hits level 50, but you keeptraining it for its ideal moves

hope you got what you were looking for, personally i dont do random matchup, they often hack and rage quit

Answering your first one, the stats drop to whatever the stats were at level 50, plus any extra EVs, so if you had a level 100 spiritomb with 0 evs in anything and then decide to ev train it and put it through random matchups it will have its lvl50 stats plus all the EVs on it, the battle subway has the same mechanics

answering 2nd question, if you plan to stay on random matchups its better to get your pokemon to learn its ideal moves, and go the rest of the way if its under lvl 50 or it could be the oposite where it hits level 50, but you keeptraining it for its ideal moves

hope you got what you were looking for, personally i dont do random matchup, they often hack and rage quit
ok thanks a lot :)

This might be a little too much for the scope of this thread, but I'll go ahead anyways:
On rain stall teams, I'm having a hard time building them without over-centralizing on Water-types. I have Politoed, obviously; Tentacruel is practically mandatory; then I'm also using HydraRest Vaporeon. Even with Ferrothorn also on the team, my typing seems quite unbalanced; any suggestions or ideas?

This might be a little too much for the scope of this thread, but I'll go ahead anyways:
On rain stall teams, I'm having a hard time building them without over-centralizing on Water-types. I have Politoed, obviously; Tentacruel is practically mandatory; then I'm also using HydraRest Vaporeon. Even with Ferrothorn also on the team, my typing seems quite unbalanced; any suggestions or ideas?
Well for starters, I love Tentacruel but he's hardly necessary for every rain team. There are lots of non-waters that can abuse Rain such as Jolteon and Thunder spam, Toxicroack and Dry Skin, and Tornadus and Hurricane. Other Pokemon appreciate it for defensive reasons, such as Scizor. Remember, every Pokemon on your team doesn't HAVE to benefit from rain. Getting a core three or so who can abuse it and then others to complement them and cover your weaknesses should work well.

Well for starters, I love Tentacruel but he's hardly necessary for every rain team. There are lots of non-waters that can abuse Rain such as Jolteon and Thunder spam, Toxicroack and Dry Skin, and Tornadus and Hurricane. Other Pokemon appreciate it for defensive reasons, such as Scizor. Remember, every Pokemon on your team doesn't HAVE to benefit from rain. Getting a core three or so who can abuse it and then others to complement them and cover your weaknesses should work well.
Well, for a rain stall team, Tentacruel's very nice to have for setting up Toxic Spikes and spinning.

If I evolved my gible into gabite and then into garchomp with rare candies, did i just ruin his ev training or i can still do it and everything will be good? i didn't battle with any of the 3 evolutions, so am i good to start ev training garchomp now? thanks

Heeeey someone is running my HydraRest Vaporeon set :D

I know that redundant typing is a problem with HydraRest Vaporeon, and I find that generally your best bet for a defensive team with HydraRest Vaporeon is to just not use any other water types. Instead, if you're using Steel load up on Steels. Forretress can also spin and give you Rapid spin instead of Tentacruel, WITHOUT compounding your grass and electric weakness. I suggest a specially defensive spread so you don't get wrecked by opposing Scalds and Thunders quite as badly though.

(Yes I'm recommending Forretress and I called him super overrated. He just happens to have a niche here nothing else can really fill).

Well though you could alternatively run Donphan to spin and Scolipede for Toxic Spikes. Donphan provides a useful electric immunity and Scolipede loses its fire weakness and provides a grass resistance (and is just an underrated support Pokemon overall). I highly recommend Virizon or Breloom for opposing rain teams too, as both benefit from the loss of their fire weakeness and provide key resistances. Dragonite works well for resisting grass type attacks and can abuse Hurricane and Thunder very effectively in the rain as well.

Just look around and you should be able to find plenty of Pokemon that work for you. Just remember that abusing rain comes second and team synergy comes first and you should be just fine.

EDIT: @atenzor, Rare Candies do not effect EVs in any way, so if that is the ONLY way you leveled up your Garchomp you should be fine. However, EVs are gained with the use of the Exp.Share, so if you used that at all you might want to check on http://www.pokecheck.org/ to see what EVs it has. Just follow the directions on the website, it's pretty easy (though it does require that you have a working Wi-Fi connection to use).

What do TyraniBoah's EVs do? The analysis tells me nothing.
This has always bothered me too, so I did some research. From the D/P page, I discovered the 176 SpA EVs and Quiet Nature ensure a 2HKO against Specially defensive Skarm with Flamethrower every time, as well as 2HKO standard Hippowodon with Ice Beam 100% of the time (1 point is not needed for Hippowodon). The 20 Spe EVs are specifically to outspeed Blissey. Last generation, it was 28 EVs since apparently back then Blissey tended to speed creep by 1 point. The HP evs are specifically for 101HP subs, which I really shouldn't have to explain. The rest of the EVs are just pumped into Attack to boost the power of Crunch and Focus Punch.

There, at long last the mystery is solved! Now that you know what the EVs are tailored for, you can more easily tweak them to your pleasure.

Heeeey someone is running my HydraRest Vaporeon set :D
Maaaaaybe. :D

I know that redundant typing is a problem with HydraRest Vaporeon, and I find that generally your best bet for a defensive team with HydraRest Vaporeon is to just not use any other water types. Instead, if you're using Steel load up on Steels. Forretress can also spin and give you Rapid spin instead of Tentacruel, WITHOUT compounding your grass and electric weakness. I suggest a specially defensive spread so you don't get wrecked by opposing Scalds and Thunders quite as badly though.

(Yes I'm recommending Forretress and I called him super overrated. He just happens to have a niche here nothing else can really fill).

Well though you could alternatively run Donphan to spin and Scolipede for Toxic Spikes. Donphan provides a useful electric immunity and Scolipede loses its fire weakness and provides a grass resistance (and is just an underrated support Pokemon overall). I highly recommend Virizon or Breloom for opposing rain teams too, as both benefit from the loss of their fire weakeness and provide key resistances. Dragonite works well for resisting grass type attacks and can abuse Hurricane and Thunder very effectively in the rain as well.

Just look around and you should be able to find plenty of Pokemon that work for you. Just remember that abusing rain comes second and team synergy comes first and you should be just fine.
Interesting, I'll keep this in mind. Why do you suggest Scolipede specifically?

Maaaaaybe. :D

Interesting, I'll keep this in mind. Why do you suggest Scolipede specifically?
Eh just a Toxic Spiker with a resistance to grass mostly. Ironically, despite being a poison type move there aren't a lot of users with it that don't have their secondary typing muck it up. It's also not weak to water or electricity, which is nice for a rain team. Megahorn also mucks up Grass types overall, making it a good check to them, especially since most of them would rely on HP Fire for bug types normally and that's nerfed by rain. Finally, though you could run Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin both of Forry, I've found in the past that stacking Forretress with too many roles just leads to it failing at all of them. Better not to have all your eggs in one basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)