April 5-7th 7* raid - Psychic Meganium

Eh, to each their own. I'll be sticking with Darkest Lariat.

Also, I was going to mention Tera Stellar to keep Incineroar's Grass resistance, but then I remembered someone said in that situation only Tera moves (of which there are only 2. One of which is exclusive to a DLC legendary and the other has a major drawback if not used with Contrary) will break a large chunk of the shield. Now that I think about it though, I think the only situations Tera Stellar will be good for Solo raids is on Contrary Pokemon. That way they can hit super effectively, buff their strength, and break a significant chunk of the shield at the same time. Arceus knows Enamorus could use it.
Fwiw the main scenario in which you want tera stellar for raids is either if you have a very good dual typing and dont want to change it (es: magearna) or you dont want to have to change tera all the type while typechanging (es: arceus)

I also have tera stellar on some raid mons that i use for "both types" just for the sake of having tera boost on both sides (es annihilape and iron hands which i end up using on both fighting and ghost/elec weak raids) but that is just a convenience thing.

Something of note is that 5-star Blissey will return again on the rerun week.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-...st-mark-is-coming-to-7-star-tera-raid-battles

The pokemon.com article here also mentions a few of the expected item drops, which is basically everything expected from past raids. I mention this because the Charizard rerun article specifically mentions the Herba drops in a similar paragraph. On the other hand, the Blastoise article didn't mention Herba either, so it's still up in the air if this will be a continuing trend.
Charizard specifically mentioned them because the raid it was a rerun of didn't have them.

Charizard specifically mentioned them because the raid it was a rerun of didn't have them.
Yes, but conversely I don't think it makes sense for Blastoise to not mention herba just because it wasn't a rerun so it's not a very satisfying explanation.

1712275850681.png

The fears of moveset Curse have been realized, as well as T0 screens but no sun and a random scripted Bulldoze. Seed Bomb is the TM for some reason instead of Zen Headbutt. The full array of Herba returns.

Oh boy, she can spam curse and she has Body Press. Yeah, neither Incineroar nor Urshifu will cut it. You definitely want to do this online with a Skill Swap Malamar ally.

Oh wait, Skeller!

Last edited:
Having Curse or Swords Dance in its regular moveset was really the only way they could make Meganium remotely threatening even as a 7 Star. Upon seeing its moveset, I took my max HP/Sp.A EVs Armarouge online and it's worked great so far:

Armarouge w/ Light Clay
Clear Smog
Reflect
Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Ball

Armarouge resists all of Meganium's attacks minus the scripted Bulldoze which still doesn't really hurt. I've been leading with Will-O-Wisp or Reflect depending on whether a teammate seems likely to use the other move. After that, you'll mostly be sticking to using Clear Smog every turn so that Meganium continues to deal pitiful damage to everyone, throwing in a cheer every so often or resetting Reflect. Shadow Ball has only been used once so far. Make absolutely sure to check Meganium's stats at the start of every turn and if you see at least +2 Atk/Def, use Clear Smog right away unless you want it to reach +4 or more during that turn.

This is very strictly a support set so you'll be depending on the allies to actually deal damage, and Terastallizing isn't necessary. Stellar Tera would work though, since it keeps your optimal typing. There are probably other options for the fourth move but you'll still stick to using Clear Smog 99% of the time.

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
1712279351511.png

Cleared this easily with Malamar:

Malamar (M) @ Shell Bell
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpA
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Dark
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Skill Swap
- Protect

This NPC team had no heal or screens support, and had Intimidate mons on my side to make it worse.
1. Skill Swap
2. Dark Pulse 3x.
3. Wait until it clears your stats. (Yes, actually sit there doing nothing until it happens. You can cheer or click other moves if you prefer.)
4. Nasty Plot 3x. (This should use up the rest of the screen turns.)
5. Tera Dark and Dark Pulse
(6. Protect on the turn it resets its own stats if you're afraid of getting Body Pressed with no stats down.)

Curse makes Meganium really weak. I tried to take advantage of the physical defense down but Malamar doesn't get Swords Dance. I tried Stellar at first, but if you don't die, you don't get Contrary back so that was a bust.

Last edited:
The singing croc triumphs once again.

:SV/Skeledirge:
Shell Bell
Unaware
Tera Ghost
252 SpA / 252 Def
Modest Nature

Torch Song
Shadow Ball
Protect
Hex (It's pretty much filler if your teammates don't inflict a status condition)

Just make sure you Protect the turn she resets you. You can try the Ability Shield instead of Shell Bell, but that just means you'll be wasting time using Slack Off.

Last edited:
Curse makes Meganium really weak. I tried to take advantage of the physical defense down but Malamar doesn't get Swords Dance. I tried Stellar at first, but if you don't die, you don't get Contrary back so that was a bust.
See, the trick is to make sure you actually do die.

Malamar @ Scope Lens
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: enough speed to get to 197, rest in Atk/Def
- Skill Swap
- Superpower
- Night Slash
- Tera Blast

Start with Skill Swap as usual. Meganium will lead with Curse in your lane, and possibly in the other lanes as well (ending up somewhere between -1 and -4), but on future turns they know Curse is not a productive move, and already outspeed you, so they'll never use it again except perhaps as a stray move on double-move turns at the end of the battle. Next, the strategy calls for 2-3 uses of that most forbidden technique: Non-Contrary Superpower. Yes, the aim is to reduce your own defense so Seed Bomb deals more damage to you and can KO in a reasonable amount of time (and also build tera charge, but no need for that yet). While you wait to get whittled down, use Night Slash the rest of the way, until it looks like you're 1 turn away from getting KO'd, then drop the red cheer as Meganium finishes you off. (If the pozwipe hasn't happened yet for some reason by the time you get to that one-hit-away point, hold off on using the cheer until it does.) Scope Lens gives them a 50% critical rate so you can actually chip the health bar down a bit despite tanking your own attack stat.

Once you respawn, you get Contrary back, so use the rest of your Superpowers to properly gain attack and defense this time, so that you reduce the amount of damage enough to be durable the rest of the way despite not using any healing moves or items. At that point, start using Tera Stellar Tera Blast to do super effective damage rather than NVE, and get even more damage boosts as you put on your best impression of a Skeledirge.

Last edited:

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
See, the trick is to make sure you actually do die.

Malamar @ Scope Lens
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: enough speed to get to 197, rest in Atk/Def
- Skill Swap
- Superpower
- Night Slash
- Tera Blast

Start with Skill Swap as usual. Meganium will lead with Curse in your lane, and possibly in the other lanes as well (ending up somewhere between -1 and -4), but on future turns they know Curse is not a productive move, and already outspeed you, so they'll never use it again except perhaps as a stray move on double-move turns at the end of the battle. Next, the strategy calls for 2-3 uses of that most forbidden technique: Non-Contrary Superpower. Yes, the aim is to reduce your own defense so Seed Bomb deals more damage to you and can KO in a reasonable amount of time (and also build tera charge, but no need for that yet). While you wait to get whittled down, use Night Slash the rest of the way, until it looks like you're 1 turn away from getting KO'd, then drop the red cheer as Meganium finishes you off. (If the pozwipe hasn't happened yet for some reason by the time you get to that one-hit-away point, hold off on using the cheer until it does.) Scope Lens gives them a 50% critical rate so you can actually chip the health bar down a bit despite tanking your own attack stat.

Once you respawn, you get Contrary back, so use the rest of your Superpowers to properly gain attack and defense this time, so that you reduce the amount of damage enough to be durable the rest of the way despite not using any healing moves or items. At that point, start using Tera Stellar Tera Blast to do super effective damage rather than NVE, and get even more damage boosts as you put on your best impression of a Skeledirge.
I didn't bother cooking more because my current non-dying strategy is easier and finishes with 30-40% timer remaining.

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I cleared it solo with Skill Swap Contrary Malamar almost identical to Anubis . I couldn’t win with Intimidate NPC’s, but I also got real unlucky with Body Press crits and NPC’s with Shadow Ball or Energy Ball boosting Meg’s SpDef. But after resetting for no Intimidate, I got lucky with a Gardevoir NPC who gave some much-needed Life Dew support, and Malamar cleared it easily from there.

Yeah, solo Malamar is a huge double edge sword. Intimidate CPUs will make Meganium stronger and there's tons of them that have moves with a chance to raise a stat. Skeledirge really does seem like the absolute best choice. While it's very slow, it's also very consistent.

While we're on the topic of Contrary, I am so looking forward to the Serperior raid. With Skill Swap and both Draco Meteor and Overheat being TMs Mew is gonna have a field day using Serperior's own strategy against her, especially if her Tera Type will be either Grass or Dragon.

Last edited:
I used a support Malamar set for random online raids and it seems to work well, even with those who bring something not ideal for the raid like Annihilape.

Malamar @ Light Clay
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Acupressure / Helping Hand
- Skill Swap
- Swagger
- Reflect

Skill Swap on turn 1, then Swagger on turn 2. From there, you're free to boost your teammates with Acupressure (and hope for an ideal (Special) Attack boost). Set up Reflect when Meganium wipes debuffs away while the shield is up. Helping Hand is probably more reliable, but Acupressure has more PP and can provide Defense or evasion boosts for other teammates to set up more easily.

You know, Acupressure is actually a very good idea for Malamar. If people bring Power Trip mons like Corviknight or Incineroar (Just make sure he doesn't have Intimidate) he can help make it even stronger by 40 points each turn.

Also, can someone try out Tera Stellar Enamorus solo? I'm thinking Tera Blast, Superpower, Taunt, maybe Draining Kiss with Shell Bell.

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Instead of taking a trip to Florida with Skeledirge or diving deep into the sea (aka Florida) with Malamar, I have chosen instead to ponder my orb

:sv/rabsca:
Rabsca @ Shell Bell
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Bug Buzz
- Speed Swap

Turn 1 Speed Swap means you will outrun Meganium when it removes its Speed drops, and from there it's just basic boosting, really. I had double Intimidate, so Meganium used Body Press more than Zen Headbutt, but I also skimped a bit on boosts - I think at the end of the fight I was +4 Def / +3 SpA / +3 SpD. It also crit me twice, so maybe Meganium knew something I didn't.

The cool thing about this set is you don't need to use a single Tera shard! The less cool thing is you need to evolve a Rellor for it. But that shouldn't be a problem, right? You're dedicated to filling out your POKEDEX, aren't you, TRAINER? Would you like me to evaluate your POKEDEX?

Lots of weird last minute fake-outs from online partners before I got a good attempt. Had a nice team lined up with my Armarouge alongside three Skeledirge, then one of them switched to a Lunala after I'd locked in and another switched to a Zacian? One person in another lobby switched their Latios to a Samurott-H and another swapped their Mew for a Kingambit (which attempted to use Guillotine in the raid proper)

1712299100582.png
1712299115829.png

1712299256003.png
1712299135290.png

1712301481653.png

This Meganium raid boss may be the hardest Azumarill solo challenge of all time, with gamefreak combining both the natural tankiness and Defense boosts of Blastoise and the Grass STAB and Growth offense of Venusaur into a mini-physical Mewtwo battle that can freely boost on both sides, which is even Psychic-type to boot. I iterated over many different sets over the hours since the raid dropped, but eventually ended up with a standout strategy that was consistently able to get past the shield and farther than anything else I tried.

Sap Sipper was considered at first, but discarded when I realized Meganium would usually just Curse for the first turns while I could Mud-Slap and Fairy tera afterwards to remove the weakness, which is also necessary to resist Body Press which isn't affected by my Attack-lowering AI, and then reconsidered again but it just didn't have enough damage, so I ended up going with Huge Power against a grass boss for once. The Azumarill set itself is fairly standard, though Play Rough PP is essential to max out and Defense is probably more useful to spec into than HP, though at this point I find it easier to recall the thresholds for 404 HP since they divide into clean numbers. In theory, I had a passing thought of a huge Rollout chain with the last hit critting but never actually tried it since it would either be off-type or weak to Body Press.

1712299927316.png
1712299935426.png

Most of my time was wasted on trying to make the Razor Claw's +1 crit stage work (1/8 ratio). It was disheartening to go for 10 hits with no crit and barely even get past the shield, and sometimes I would get past and be unable to make up the many crits I needed for the rest, feeling like I needed over half of my hits to crit. It did show me that it was possible, but I needed more critical hits to land more often, and Azumarill only has one way to do that. Once again, I had to resort to living on the edge at 25% HP to activate Lansat Berry for +2 crit (1/2 ratio), but by that point I had figured out that I could afford to take some chip damage and activate it alongside Belly Drum. I think this is more efficient time-wise though because you can give up early if you don't proc Lansat instead of just wasting all your Play Rough PP trying to crit.

I considered some cheer preservation strats while still running Razor Claw. With a defense cheer at +6, Body Press does 25 and Grassy Terrain heals 25, so survivability is pretty good at that point. However this didn't really help with the bottleneck of still needing crits and neither did the attack cheer, though it would have lowered the number of crits needed. The other problem ended up being that it wasn't reliable to intentionally set up getting killed by Meganium because I was setting up Mud-Slap at the same time and either needed Belly Drum to work off the first defense cheer or for it to choose Seed Bomb early and Staraptor to not Feather Dance too much, and also getting killed instead of using moves loses time and turns that the AI could be taking advantage of, so this usually just ended up being an incidental thing when the option came up but still didn't help the main issue of needing crits to make progress.

In terms of AI, I was fortunate enough to get Toxapex's Chilling Water, Staraptor's Intimidate/Feather Dance, and Arboliva for Grassy Terrain healing on my first group roll, though it also helped Meganium's Seed Bomb power a bit. Ideally I was thinking to get Arcanine for potential burns but decided not to risk a reroll with everyone playing a major role.

1712299278328.png

(https://stevecooktu.github.io/sv_raid_lookup/)
Looking at the boss script in detail, some small mercies Meganium provides are that it wastes 2 actions on screens that don't affect the battle at all. It also helps that the player and boss resets are completely separated, so that I can set up Mud-Slap early on and then spend my time setting up everything once after the timer. Bulldoze is a strange choice but I guess it wastes time in the endgame. Also it can double attack after 50% HP as usual.

My final strategy ended up revolving around using Mud-Slap 3 times at the start, then terastallizing to become Fairy and Mud-Slap again. Then I would wait for the shield and buff reset to trigger so I could start Defense Curling. During this process I need Meganium to chip me between 50% and 75% HP to be able to use Belly Drum and proc Lansat, which is helped by Grassy Terrain allowing me to work with higher damage and just wait to get in the right HP range while ideally dodging most other attacks. If its attack is down enough, it seems like Meganium usually goes for Body Press which is a tolerable hit, and I managed to bait it into range with an early Belly Drum after only 4 Defense Curls, going down to exactly 100 HP.
1712300690794.png

After getting to +6 Attack/Defense and critting, then all that's left to do is potentially heal up and press Play Rough and hope for crits. With Razor Claw this is a very sad affair, but with Lansat it's actually satisfying to see crits land constantly. The shield takes about 4 crits to fully take down and I usually am barely above the 70% threshold on the 3rd hit which is the first debuff reset, so I like to take a heal cheer before this point because it's still safe while Meganium has low accuracy. I decide to take the shield down first and then set a Mud-Slap afterwards, though I burst down to 40% soon after with another crit anyway.
1712300724242.png
1712300729348.png

I took a few non-crits down to 8 Play Roughs, then crit it down to both the 40% and 30% threshold for a reset and Bulldoze combo that wasn't too threatening. At this point I had plenty of time to spare and seemingly only a crit or two left to finish it, so I put up a Mud-Slap for safety and potential time saving from miss animations. I ended up watching Meganium use Curse and constantly getting barraged by Body Presses while not getting crits for 4 turns. Every time I saw the NPCs get a move off I knew the battle had not ended. Eventually we chipped it into the red as a tremendous energy gathered (10% time left/60 seconds) and I had only 3 Play Roughs left.
1712301392980.png
1712301401147.png
1712302070800.png
1712302092435.png

1712301413253.png
1712301422863.png

In the end, my 14th Play Rough struck true and landed one last crit, but Meganium decided to spite me and land in one last Body Press. I think this means an NPC actually finished it off on its turn, so I didn't get to see the text saying that it fainted on my screen. Or maybe it was the poison that did it in, because all Staraptor did was Feather Dance and Arboliva had just respawned. Either way, I don't think I will be replaying this fight for that screenshot and I hope that bosses casually spamming boosts isn't going to be the new trend of difficulty for Azumarill's sake.
1712301440507.png
1712301458391.png

Sidenote: I think the move effectiveness shown for a dead tera raid boss is based on its base type like how the overworld tera mons become their base type again when the crystals shatter, though it's easier to see this happen in multiplayer.
1712301297387.png
1712301303125.png

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is my standard raid Torkoal and it's a good support mon for Meganium.

:sv/torkoal:
Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Will-O-Wisp
- Clear Smog
- Iron Defense

Torkoal barely gets scratched by Meganium, and I never have to do more than one Iron Defense, if even that. Burning the boss and clearing boosts helps everyone on the team. Damage output is barely more than chip damage unless someone else on the team is doing Acid Spray/Metal Sound/etc -- but every little bit helps.

In practice, Torkoal is pretty much a Clear Smog bot to prevent Meganium from steamrolling everyone with those Curse boosts. It's amazing how sometimes if I take a turn off from Clear Smog to attack or whatever, when I check status next turn, Meganium is back up to +4 or more. These 7* bosses with boosts in the regular moveset, it's a real pain in the ass. I don't like that GF seems to be doing this more and more in event raids. I get it, that Meganium is gonna get torn apart without a lot of boosts. But I'd rather see more scripted boosts than to have it in the regular moveset and therefore be able to go from 0 to +6 pretty much instantly. Just stupid hard imo.

These randoms are so braindead, I’ve only been able to win with two sets:

Floragato @ Eviolite
252/0-/252+/0/0/4
Protean
-Charm/Taunt
-Mud slap (PPMax)
-Helping hand
-Fake tears
Charm at start is needed for randos. If you get 3 charms, then Meg will stop cursing once she hits +6 Def (so +0 atk). People are running a lot of ghosts, so this works out. Fake tears and helping hand when given the opportunity, and mud slap to help everyone live, especially while people set up.
Taunt is for coordinated team strats. Coordinated teams get in and get out fast enough for 1-2 taunts to suffice to OHKO.

Malamar @ Sitrus/LightClay
252/0-/252+/0/0/0
Contrary
-Skill Swap
-Reflect
-Helping Hand
-Topsy Turvy
Skill swap T1, reflect T2. Then coast. Topsy turvy is only in case teammates actively screw it up in first few turns, as people don’t notice/respect/understand contrary. I’ve almost run out of helping hand PP with this set. Malamar can keep the team alive for an extremely long time.

Tried the Malamar method for a solo, but it didn't go so hot.

Then tried online and got a team of Skeledirge, Annihilape and Volbeat

Despite the Annihilape using Screech after the Contrary went up, it thankfully happened after his first regular screech and he stopped doing it after he died.
Thankfully, the squad did it! Once he started doing Rage Fist it went down fast, Skeledirge was hampered by taking too long to set up, getting reset and then not setting up again in time.
Volbeat used Moonlight and Bug Buzz. I assume it had to have helping hand and tail glow but I don't remember seeing them. Did good damage though.

caught in a Nest Ball

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Pushed through with a support Jirachi set cause I felt like flexing on some of the stuff I have available.

Jirachi @ Leftovers/Light Clay
HP/Def investment
Charm
Reflect
Life Dew
Helping Hand

Throw up Reflect T1, Charm if there isn't a Malamar, and then just fire Life Dew/Helping Hands where you can. Cleared insanely closely with 3 Skeledirges - literally timer had zero time left on it!

Cleared it a few more times with some of the guys from the Battle Tree server too where it worked out much easier with Contrary Support - We targeted down the Malamar in order to reset its Contrary for its own boosts.

It's been a while since I've bothered with raids, so I'm having trouble remembering, but is it normal for the exact same 3 NPCs with the exact same support Pokemon to repeatedly join you in a solo raid?

I'm trying to get a partner with Intimidate and don't remember having this issue previously.

It's been a while since I've bothered with raids, so I'm having trouble remembering, but is it normal for the exact same 3 NPCs with the exact same support Pokemon to repeatedly join you in a solo raid?

I'm trying to get a partner with Intimidate and don't remember having this issue previously.
I do remember this happening to me as well. If I'm not mistaken, being offline while choosing "Challenge as a group" should help, otherwise you would get the same three all day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)