April 5-7th 7* raid - Psychic Meganium

Looks like Poganium is the next starter on the block.

Tera Psychic is a... weird choice honestly.

I struggle to see Meganium threatening offensively, but it's going to be quite chonky to deal with.
I think Bug and Steel types should be able to resist pretty much everything it can do offensively...

I've been looking through its movepool and man is it barren. It doesn't even get Growth to boost itself, so the only way they could make it offensively threatening is via Sword Dance / Curse shenenigans.

Considering the Psychic type, I'm more expecting it to have screens and some other annoyance like Encore or Body Slam.

Last edited:
Well it'll obviously have Sunny Day to activate Leaf Guard, so I assume it'll also probably get Weather Ball to hit bug & steel types for a few turns.

Psychic....I mean unless they give it Tera Blast it's only option would be Zen Headbutt. Maybe they give it Swords Dance and give it a physical moevset with a bunch of annoying support moves? It has the screens, it clan flinch you, paralyze you, sleep...

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With such defenses, Power Trip looks like a good option.

Incineroar sounds like the obvious pick with such a good double-type, unless Meganium goes Earthquake.

Corviknight only fears Weather Ball.

I doubt Meganium can afford both but if that's the case, I might try Bombirdier

If there's no Weather Ball, I think Brambleghast may be a underrated option.

I think Psychic type will come with Screens, meaning we get full mileage of Infiltrator.

That is unless they go full attack route with Zen Headbutt / Earthquake as coverage. In which case uuuh I suppose steel birds go brr?

Intetesting that is Psychic but not Fairy. And happening after Blaziken and Empoleon? ZA starters confirmed!? ok no

It really doesn't sound like much of a threat on paper...

Petal Blizzard, Earthquake and Zen Headbutt seems like the main moveset Meganium will use. And that's because these moves are the only half decent moves Meganium gets, the next best options are Double-Edge, Outrage and Weather Ball, none of which are good in the slightest.

Meganium does have the option of going passive with dual screens, Encore, Charm or Mud-Slap, but even those options are pretty barren. I fully expect dual screens as its scripted moves but aside from that it's not looking too threatening. Encore spam would certainly be annoying since it makes common set-up options vulnerable to wasted time. Aroma Veil :Dachsbun: with Psychic Fangs could be a good support options against Encore spam. Or :Alcremie: with its usual bag of tricks.

The main way Meganium could be offensively threatening is if its fourth move is Swords Dance. In that case, Skill Swap Contrary from :Malamar: could be interesting.

It's weird not going Fairy since then a SD/Curse Meganium would basically cover everything neutrally with Tera Blast + EQ save for the Steel Birds that Psychic doesn't help with anyway.

Since Meganium lacks for offensive options, I think the best they could work with would be to turn it into a Wall. Dual Screens, Sun because Leaf Guard + Weather Ball for Steels outlasting it, and an early big shield to inflate it survivability. Pokemon Go taught me the worst raids are the ones that won't go down because of the time limit giving you a lose condition without being knocked out, so it's the one time Meganium's "I sit there living and doing nothing else" kit could work for it.

It's weird not going Fairy since then a SD/Curse Meganium would basically cover everything neutrally with Tera Blast + EQ save for the Steel Birds that Psychic doesn't help with anyway.

Since Meganium lacks for offensive options, I think the best they could work with would be to turn it into a Wall. Dual Screens, Sun because Leaf Guard + Weather Ball for Steels outlasting it, and an early big shield to inflate it survivability. Pokemon Go taught me the worst raids are the ones that won't go down because of the time limit giving you a lose condition without being knocked out, so it's the one time Meganium's "I sit there living and doing nothing else" kit could work for it.
They dont' seem especially interested in having Tera Blast on the Mighty pokemon, even if it'd be a decent move to sub in over an actual move they get.
Charizard was the only one to use it and only as a "use at this specific HP" move.

Even in regular raids it's not a common move, even though it feels like it'd be an easy "gotcha" to throw in. In 6* raids its just the Eeveelutions, Salamence (wha?), and Talonflame (huh?). 5* only Eevee & Glimmora (and only as a HP-based move). And no one lower than 4* uses it

They dont' seem especially interested in having Tera Blast on the Mighty pokemon, even if it'd be a decent move to sub in over an actual move they get.
Charizard was the only one to use it and only as a "use at this specific HP" move.

Even in regular raids it's not a common move, even though it feels like it'd be an easy "gotcha" to throw in. In 6* raids its just the Eeveelutions, Salamence (wha?), and Talonflame (huh?). 5* only Eevee & Glimmora (and only as a HP-based move). And no one lower than 4* uses it
I sort of get not using it much for the random raids where they can run the gamut of types but you'll likely use resists for it in the process of hitting the Tera type SE, but I do find it odd they don't do it for scripted/Event Raids like this or the 5* Legendaries/Paradoxes where the type is fixed and so they don't need to pigeonhole into something the mon has a natural STAB for like Tera Normal Rillaboom (which matches Body Slam but doesn't really do anything special for it, while Fighting or Flying retain weaknesses the Grass form already had).

They could do jerk moves like Fire Types with Tera Grass, or vice versa since Grass hits all 3 of Fire's Weaknesses for SE damage without abilities in play.

The only reason I could see them using Tera Blast specifically on a 7* is if they have no move of the respective tera type.

Meganium however does have Zen Headbutt so...

Aw man this is gonna break my heart...

Well, judging by the overall possibilities, lokix seems to be pretty good option for solo!
:sv/lokix:
Lokix @ Silver Powder
Ability: Swarm
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leech Life
- Screech
- Brick Break
Unless they pack something like sunny day with weather ball, the locust resists everything and can heal all the way back with leech life! Brick break can even delete screens if those come up. Still not sure on the items and evs, but this could work just fine!

The only reason I could see them using Tera Blast specifically on a 7* is if they have no move of the respective tera type.

Meganium however does have Zen Headbutt so...
That's kind of looking at it backwards from my point, which is literally that Tera Blast gives them an excuse to use Tera Types that the mon doesn't have a natural move option for.

So in Meganium's case it WOULDN'T have to be Psychic for Zen Headbutt.

:SV/Urshifu:
Shell Bell
Tera Dark
252 Atk / 252 SpD / 6 HP
Careful Nature

Wicked Blow
Snarl
Brick Break
Swords Dance / Bulk Up
SpDef investment and Snarl are unlikely to be the play because Meganium practically gets no special attacks aside from Grass moves. I fully expect this to be a physically oriented raid battle (with Swords Dance included)

Brick Break is not really useful since Wicked Blow already ignores screens, and Urshifu generally isn't a Pokémon you'd want to use as a support in raids.

Last edited:
In that case, replace Brick Break with Rock Smash, though if she has Curse as part of her normal moveset it won't really be worth it. As for Snarl, assuming she'll be physical, I guess Crunch, I don't really know. Focus Energy would be useless because Wicked Blow is already a guaranteed crit and you're only using Rock Smash for the Def drop, not damage. You could replace Rock Smash with Crunch, but it's less consistent with the Def drop.

I imagine Dragon Cheer may be very popular for online since Hydreigon seems like a good counter, especially since Meganium lacks any offensive fairy moves.

In that case, replace Brick Break with Rock Smash, though if she has Curse as part of her normal moveset it won't really be worth it. As for Snarl, assuming she'll be physical, I guess Crunch, I don't really know. Focus Energy would be useless because Wicked Blow is already a guaranteed crit and you're only using Rock Smash for the Def drop, not damage. You could replace Rock Smash with Crunch, but it's less consistent with the Def drop.

I imagine Dragon Cheer may be very popular for online since Hydreigon seems like a good counter, especially since Meganium lacks any offensive fairy moves.
Rock Smash is a fun idea. Coaching is also not too bad if you wanted to take this into public raids.

:SV/Incineroar:
Black Glasses/Shell Bell
Intimidate
Tera Dark
252 Atk / 252 Def / 6 HP
Adamant Nature

Darkest Lariat
Brick Break
Leech Life
Bulk Up

He may not have as much fire power as Urshifu, especially since Darkest Lariat doesn't ignore Reflect, but he does resist Grass pre Tera. And assuming Meganium will use Special attacks (let's not forget, Leaf Guard requires sun. So there is a chance she may have Solar Beam) his higher SpD combined with his Grass resistance pre Tera means he can tank her Special attacks better. And while it's VERY close post tera, it's not guaranteed.

0+ SpA Tera Psychic Meganium Solar Beam vs. 6 HP / 252 SpD Tera Dark Incineroar: 103-123 (31 - 37%) -- 74.4% chance to 3HKO
0+ SpA Tera Psychic Meganium Solar Beam vs. 6 HP / 252 SpD Urshifu: 132-156 (38.5 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If you don't have Urshifu, Scizor can auto-crit with Focus Energy and X-Scissor, and gets Brick Break to help team mates with screens.

Not immune to Psychic but does resist it and with a double resist for Grass I imagine Scizor would outheal with a shell bell.

The biggest threat would be Weather Ball in the sun, but oddly enough Scizor can learn Rain Dance.

:SV/Incineroar:
Black Glasses/Shell Bell
Intimidate
Tera Dark
252 Atk / 252 Def / 6 HP
Adamant Nature

Darkest Lariat
Brick Break
Leech Life
Bulk Up

He may not have as much fire power as Urshifu, especially since Darkest Lariat doesn't ignore Reflect, but he does resist Grass pre Tera. And assuming Meganium will use Special attacks (let's not forget, Leaf Guard requires sun. So there is a chance she may have Solar Beam) his higher SpD combined with his Grass resistance pre Tera means he can tank her Special attacks better. And while it's VERY close post tera, it's not guaranteed.

0+ SpA Tera Psychic Meganium Solar Beam vs. 6 HP / 252 SpD Tera Dark Incineroar: 103-123 (31 - 37%) -- 74.4% chance to 3HKO
0+ SpA Tera Psychic Meganium Solar Beam vs. 6 HP / 252 SpD Urshifu: 132-156 (38.5 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
I don't think we would see Solar Beam in the moveset. Maybe as a scripted move right after sun, but I don't think people would understand how it charges for one person and fires on the other after sun goes down. Power Trip starts to outdamage Lariat after 4 stat boosts though.
If you don't have Urshifu, Scizor can auto-crit with Focus Energy and X-Scissor, and gets Brick Break to help team mates with screens.
X-Scissor is not a high crit move so you would need a Scope Lens for 100% crits. It does get Night Slash though.

Power Trip starts to outdamage Lariat after 4 stat boosts though.
Darkest Lariat ignores Def buffs, and Meganium gets Curse. And I honestly find 3 Bulk Ups a little too slow, especially considering that you're gonna need to set them up again after Meganium resets them. And if she's able to spam Curse? ... Yeah, don't even bother with Power Trip. That is, unless you're playng online and have a Skill Swap Malamar ally.

Darkest Lariat ignores Def buffs, and Meganium gets Curse. And I honestly find 3 Bulk Ups a little too slow, especially considering that you're gonna need to set them up again after Meganium resets them. And if she's able to spam Curse? ... Yeah, don't even bother with Power Trip. That is, unless you're playng online and have a Skill Swap Malamar ally.
Power Trip becomes 100 BP after 2 Bulk Ups and snowballs with even more, becoming stronger than Lariat with 6 stat stages even if Meganium has +1 Defense. Personally I think it's more efficient to set up after a reset rather than take a few neutral hits in general. Also Black Glasses is just outclassed by Expert Belt if you want to run Leech Life on the same set, which is the main takeaway I got from PKMNcast's preliminary sets that are otherwise more on the gimmicky side.

If Meganium is spamming Curse in the moveset, then I think surviving attacks at +6 is a bigger problem to deal with than which offensive move it should use. At that point you may as well just Taunt it and avoid the issue altogether.

Eh, to each their own. I'll be sticking with Darkest Lariat.

Also, I was going to mention Tera Stellar to keep Incineroar's Grass resistance, but then I remembered someone said in that situation only Tera moves (of which there are only 2. One of which is exclusive to a DLC legendary and the other has a major drawback if not used with Contrary) will break a large chunk of the shield. Now that I think about it though, I think the only situations Tera Stellar will be good for Solo raids is on Contrary Pokemon. That way they can hit super effectively, buff their strength, and break a significant chunk of the shield at the same time. Arceus knows Enamorus could use it.

Something of note is that 5-star Blissey will return again on the rerun week.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-...st-mark-is-coming-to-7-star-tera-raid-battles
You can still participate in Tera Raid Battles against this Meganium if you’ve already caught it to obtain other rewards—including significant amounts of Exp. Candy for leveling up your Pokémon, treasures that can be sold at Pokémon Centers, items for improving your Pokémon’s stats, and Psychic Tera Shards for changing your Pokémon’s Tera Type.
The pokemon.com article here also mentions a few of the expected item drops, which is basically everything expected from past raids. I mention this because the Charizard rerun article specifically mentions the Herba drops in a similar paragraph. On the other hand, the Blastoise article didn't mention Herba either, so it's still up in the air if this will be a continuing trend.

If you caught this Charizard previously, you will not be able to catch it again, but you can still defeat it in battle to earn plenty of rewards—including significant amounts of Exp. Candy for leveling up your Pokémon, treasures that can be sold at Pokémon Centers, items for improving your Pokémon’s stats, Dragon Tera Shards for changing your Pokémon’s Tera Type, and potentially even Herba Mystica for making delicious sandwiches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)