Ladder Anything Goes

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Isn't that just 6-0'd by Magic Bounce (read: mega diancie), or Ekiller, or just plain switching?

Zangooser, nothing gets Prankster with that combination of moves.
"/ds encore, disable, protect, prankster:
No Pokémon found."
Oh I derped, he kinda agreed with it though so I don't feel so bad.
The strat is 6-0d by Magic Bounce, switching, Magic Coat and basic competence.
Alakazam is fast enough that it doesn't need the priority I guess.
Anyway don't use this, it won't work on anyone who knows how to play the game.

SuperRyan249

Banned deucer.
Oh I derped, he kinda agreed with it though so I don't feel so bad.
The strat is 6-0d by Magic Bounce, switching, Magic Coat and basic competence.
Alakazam is fast enough that it doesn't need the priority I guess.
Anyway don't use this, it won't work on anyone who knows how to play the game.
Lol I just agreed with you seeing as you were a mod in the om room xD

Anything Goes is an ORAS singles metagame it will be found next to official tiers and not next to OMs usually are. It is playable on the main server.

http://imgur.com/RyZia5M
Oh, I see it now. Isn't it kind of messed up though that Pokemon, as it is on the cartridge, can't have its ladder viewed until you choose to play? I think it deserves a spot on the main ladders list... Anything Goes should have more visibility.

Smh josh stealing my sets
I have been using a Sub SD mray set for a over a month and it just wins games. Its a bit hard to get it to set up safely so I pair it with some (meme)nto support and with that memento support it can setup more than one Swords Dance. Ive tried LO but that allows Mray to die too fast imo I replaced with Sky Plate.

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, any thoughts on Specs Mray as well?

On the pro side, Zangooser has used it to great effect.

On the con side,
[16:07:34] MegaqwerTheKnight: Cant M ray read?
[16:07:40] MegaqwerTheKnight: why do it need specs for?

Also interested in hearing arguments on Band Ray. Gunner sent me an excellent team with it. Unfortunately, I don't think it plays an instrument so that argument won't work here.

I'd say that Specs M-Ray is one of the best wall breakers around. People often take it to be the more common Physical set, hence they switch to physically defensive pokemon such as Bulky Yveltal [252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Yveltal: 450-531 (98.9 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO], Bulky Arceus [252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 382-451 (86.2 - 101.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO] and Giratina, which in turn get OHKO'd or greatly damaged, paving the way for the physical attackers in the team to finish the game later on/ to be able to do more damage in absence of their checks.

The only pokemon that seem to counter both the physical and special sets, that come to my mind, are Lugia (just stalls out, still) and Fairy-Arceus (Being immune to Draco Meteor, the most powerful STAB move Ray has. In some cases, can be faster as well). Nevertheless these pokemon can be dealt with if Specs Ray is given proper support.

This support can either be in terms of residual damage (Setting up SR, inflicting A burn/ toxic) or through pokemon that completely neutralize M-Ray's counters, such as SpA Steel-Arceus (Absorbs toxic, can set up with CM, deals 2x damage to Fairies, resists stab moves.)

Overall, I'd say that Specs set is probably the best set for M-Ray (Draco Meteor/ Overheat/ Surf/ Dragon Ascent ~Zang)

Sorry if the post lacks anything and/ or if you meant completely something else by "your thoughts on Specs Ray".

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Idk about SPecs M-Ray, the mandatory use of Dragon's Ascent means that it has to give up a moveslot for a move it woulld probably rarely use if it has max Evs in SP.Atk and has specs. At this point, wouldn't mixed LO be better? I haven't really noticed a huge difference in power tbh, and mixed can break down more walls in my experience

Well, Specs Mega Ray sounds more like a lure to me. Though honestly, I'd probably consider Mixed LO better too...if only to use Dragon Ascent and 3 Special Moves. You use Dragon Ascent on something and then when they switch to their defensive wall or something you unload like Overheat or Surf on it.

You need the extra bit of power Choice Specs give to 2HKO Physically Defensive Arcues-Fairy (which people run for the physical set, I don't think anyone has used a completely dedicated check/ counter for Special M-Ray unlike his Physical counter-part)

[252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Surf vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Fairy: 177-209 (39.9 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes]
[252+ SpA Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Surf vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Fairy: 155-182 (34.9 - 41%) -- 60.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes]
(You hit once on the switch-in and KO the next turn as you're faster.)

Also,

[252+ SpA Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Yveltal: 395-465 (86.8 - 102.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO]
[252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Yveltal: 454-535 (99.7 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO]

Also, while LO will help with the mixed set, it will greatly hinder its longevity due to the recoil, and one would be able to play around it with relative ease.

One more thing is, if you use a mixed set you would obviously not use Modest rest, it would either have to be Mild (+SpA, -Def), Rash (+SpA, -SpD) or Quiet (+SpA, -Spe). which would in-fact make it very tricky to use.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
I thought I'd make a large extravagant post about Mega Rayquaza and the items it uses, as well as useful calcs, usage tips, e.t.c.
I really need another way to spend my time.

Lum Berry
- Lum Berry is the standard item within the Anything Goes metagame.
- It aids the prevention of Darkrai and Klefki strategies, stops burn disabling Mega Rayquaza completely.
- All around useful item within a metagame plagued with so much status.

Standard Sets:
Rayquaza @ Lum Berry
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake / V-create
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

Rayquaza @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake / V-create
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance

Life Orb
- Life Orb provides a few OHKOs and 2HKOs that standard Lum sets fail to accomplish.
- The most powerful option that ensures Rayquaza isn't locked into a move, which could be detrimental if a set-up sweeper comes in on Rayquaza.
- Abuses Mega Rayquaza's large physical movepool along with mixed sets being ran often, usually with Draco Meteor being an effective option.
- The two most common sets being ran with Life Orb are "Mixed Draco" and "SD LO Physical" sets.

Standard Sets:
Rayquaza @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake / V-create
- Extreme Speed
- Draco Meteor

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake / V-create
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance

Choice Band
- Physical Offense at its finest.
- Extremely hard hitter that doesn't struggle in 2HKOing the whole metagame :O
- Isn't walled by anything common, most teams do not have an efficient check for this pokémon without sacking something off.
- Being locked into a move can be difficult as it can struggle to pick up the OHKO on EKiller Arceus.
- This means EKiller Arceus can Swords Dance up and OHKO when Rayquaza is at -1 Defense.
- Although being locked into a move is usually very detrimental if setup sweepers enter, not many setup sweepers can come in on it.

Standard Set:
Rayquaza @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake / Waterfall
- V-create / Waterfall

Choice Specs
-
A very unique option for Rayquaza, as it abuses a different set of moves that other sets usually don't run.
- Requires Dragon Ascent, which leaves it with three usable moveslots.
- However, despite its flaws, Specs Mega Rayquaza doesn't have trouble with anything in the metagame.
- If the user of this pokémon can predict correctly, something dies.
- It checks every physical wall very easily (except Timid Recover Bulkceus sets), usually providing an OHKO.
- This all falls down onto the surprise factor, as physical walls are usually sent in to take the damage.
- Walled effectively by Eviolite Chansey, however a min attack Dragon Ascent still 2HKOs Blissey.
- Effective against any team.
- Hates fairies though, even if Overheat 2HKOs most of them.

Dafuq is Standard? lel
Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Overheat
- Surf
- Dragon Ascent

Extremely weird set of which I dreamt of one night and built a team around it. I'll try and go through every part of the set as I go along.
Specs, since most of the metagame revolves around physically defensive walls, and the only common Special Attackers being Xerneas, Kyogre and CM Arceus.
The Nature was Timid, but that disallowed the guaranteed OHKO on Arceus EKiller and minimal bulk EV spreads. The EVs are pretty self explanatory to be honest.
Dragon Ascent should not be used on this set, but is of some use actually.
-Due to the lack of knowledge of most opponents, they will usually opt for Dragon Ascent. ("TOO OP PLS BAN")
-This makes it a somewhat efficient Imposter check, as it doesn't take much damage from a 0- EVs, 0 IVs Dragon Ascent.
-It relies on idiocy though, I probably wouldn't rely on it.
Draco Meteor does so much damage to everything.
Overheat is a very useful coverage option with damages heaps as well.
Surf damages Primal Groudon as well as Ho-Oh, two mons that are preferably Specially Defensive.

Some Useful Calcs:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Arceus: 382-450 (100.2 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (most common set in the metagame)

-2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 446-528 (127 - 150.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (can OHKO if they send in their set-up Rayquaza in on it which happens a lot surprisingly n_n)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Surf vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Primal Groudon: 636-752 (157.8 - 186.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (OHKOs Max SpDon even at -1)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Yveltal: 454-535 (99.7 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO (I guess I'm lucky)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Overheat vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Fairy: 255-301 (57.5 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (I know the calc doesn't take into account the drop which is why I did. It picks up the 2HKO after rocks most of the time.)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Overheat vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 303-357 (69 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (even after drop)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Steel: 510-602 (114.8 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Overheat vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Klefki: 470-554 (148.2 - 174.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Arceus-Ground: 382-450 (100.2 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Surf vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Ho-Oh: 218-258 (52.5 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Max SpD bulk isn't common but just in case)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Giratina: 758-894 (150.6 - 177.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

ALSO PLEASE
I'm sure I made a mistake, tell me so I can fix and we can improve this guide as a resource for beginners or smth idek.

Chloe

NUPL Champion
I'm wondering has anyone here used Block Xerneas before? It doesn't sound that great to me but I've heard of others using it. What does it offer over extra coverage, Aromatherapy or Ingrain?

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm wondering has anyone here used Block Xerneas before? It doesn't sound that great to me but I've heard of others using it. What does it offer over extra coverage, Aromatherapy or Ingrain?
The keys para u and then u geo to +6 and win. The Chansey toxics u and then u geo to +6 and win. They stay in to fodder something before going into Aegislash to get off some chip before geo, you geo to +6 and win. Shit like that

The interesting thing about Block is that if you're REALLY bold and you can find things that don't threaten you at all, you can forgo a Power Herb and stick a real item and just suck up the two-turn attack.

I played AG for the first time today with a sample team (Kelloggs Squad by Joshz). I was wondering what's the standard answer to Double Team spam? The team has Roar Primal Groudon, which has been effective at dealing with teams with one Double Team user, but that can't handle multiple Double Team users as it lacks recovery.

I must say I find AG quite enjoyable. I went 15-0 on my first attempt!

Glad you enjoyed playing AG The Immortal :]

Roar is a fine answer to double team users, a different mon, Bulky Arceus can be chosen over P-Don according to the teams synergy as it can not only pack roar but also, toxic recover and stealth rocks which will also help DT mons suffer quite some passive damage.

Other than that AG being a really offence based meta, Offensive pressure is key to not let opposing mons spam Double Team

(Assuming you faced DT klefki, Offensive pressure is really the way to go)

Almost always better than roar -->Taunt can also help if facing mons that carry DT but don't have prankster.

Edit : Oh, I almost forgot, Perish song is an option too, and it serves the purpose of stopping BP Teams in their tracks as well.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The team also has thunder kyogre which is perfect accuracy under rain and can help with some of the more frail users like Darkrai, although probably can't break through klefki unless lucky. Defensive Primal Kyogre is also a good check due to scald burn change+rest to heal status+roar, and offensive sets still have thunder and can OHKO most users if it hits an origin pulse.

Species Clause
A player cannot have two Pokemon with the same National Pokédex number on a team.

I've been playing around with this particular clause for a couple of days on PS and, to be frank, it's quite interesting how little it's exploited, or how exploitable it actually is. Not being limited on the number of Arceus forms you can have on a team really allows for the AG metagame to be diverse in a way that other metas cannot hope for, in that a player can take a singular weakness in their team and immediately patch it up with a relevant Arceus form, building it bulky, aggressive or anywhere in between. However, outside of playing around with multiple Arceus forms, it's really not used an awful lot. We've all seen the way that other removed clauses have been studied and exploited, such as the creation of the monster Klefki and the multiple Mega Rayquaza builds that have been invented, but has the Species cluase been investigated to it's full potential? Is there some way that having two of the same Pokemon on a team, outside of Arceus, could lead to great success, or is compounding a weakness simply too great an error for anything good to come of it? Opinions?

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but has anyone tried running Latias as an Offensive Defogger/Healing Wisher? I was thinking of using this set:

Latias @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor

This would do minimum 76% to offensive PDon, would OHKO the standard Phys Def Giratina after rocks, and would take a maximum of 58% from POgre's Ice Beam. However, I'm not sure how to build around it. It's very weak to Darkrai, so you could partner it with Mega Diancie, Sleep Talk Ho-Oh, or even MMY. It's also weak to Jolly Ghostceus, so a Darkrai might do well. However, i've tried making a team around this, and it has not turned out well. Would anyone like to discuss partners with me, or even build a team together?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)