Aggron: No longer the retarded child of Rhydon and Registeel

I think Aggron will go the same route as Rhyperior after it has been play tested thoroughly. While the resists of Dragon, Ice, and Steel are nice, the weaknesses to Fighting and Ground are still too much of a hindrance. It will take a seriously talented player to knock out all of the Fighting/Ground attacks from the opposing team early enough into a match to make Aggron flourish.

I think Aggron will go the same route as Rhyperior after it has been play tested thoroughly. While the resists of Dragon, Ice, and Steel are nice, the weaknesses to Fighting and Ground are still too much of a hindrance. It will take a seriously talented player to knock out all of the Fighting/Ground attacks from the opposing team early enough into a match to make Aggron flourish.
No it won't?
It's not difficult to pack gyarados/latias/rotom into your team.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Specifically, this gives a nice use for Rotom-W. It covers the problematic Steels, Hippo, and Skarmory.
I've also noticed that trick users ruin Aggron's fun by Tricking it a Scarf, then coming on something that resists or is immune to the move you're using. Rotom-W pretty much improves from getting a Scarf almost regardless of the set you're running, and will probably pull of some decent damage before going down.

Aggron.. while before only Relicanth was really the only one user of Head Smash (and a damn good one!), Aggron has clearly more Atk, 350 by a Adamant nature and 252 EVs is very impressive. Combined with Head Smash, which has a BP of 225 (STAB factored in), and the prevention of the recoil damage, thanks to its Rock Head-ability, Aggron has become a fearsome sweeper.

What i want to do in this topic, is to suggest a somewhat special set. However, i've used it in UU, and there, it took down at least 2 Pokémon. At least.

Aggron, Rock/Steel
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Item: Focus Sash
Moveset: Head Smash, Counter, Rock Polish, Focus Punch / Earthquake
Description: Polish Aggron's heavy body to reach a Spe of 400, enough to outspeed even Aerodactyl and other 130s and then start a sweep. Head Smash is clear. Likely you ask you, why Counter instead of Metal Burst. Counter has a deciding advantage over Metal Burst: the user doesn't have to be faster. In a set with Rock Polish, it's a good thing. And let me explain: what Aggron fears most are CCs and EQs. And those are physical moves, which means, they can be reflected with Counter. In the 4th slot you can either choose Earthquake for coverage or Focus Punch as nonplusultra.

However, in OU, where SR are nearly in every match, this set has problems. In UU, it should be proof as a fearsome Sweeper.

@Tangrineth: That set requires Focus Sash to be effective, by allowing it to survive and counter the CC or EQ that would have KO'ed him. SR breaks the Sash, ruining Counter

A lot of people are forgetting that in UU aggron only has to face his UU counters, donphan, gastrodon, etc. whereas in OU he not only has to face his OU counters but (seeing as UU pokemon are playable in OU) his UU counters as well. Aggron with head smash will definitely bump him to a higher tier though, a move that powerful with his movepool and stat distribution is definitely a force to be reckoned with.

A lot of people are forgetting that in UU aggron only has to face his UU counters, donphan, gastrodon, etc. whereas in OU he not only has to face his OU counters but (seeing as UU pokemon are playable in OU) his UU counters as well. Aggron with head smash will definitely bump him to a higher tier though, a move that powerful with his movepool and stat distribution is definitely a force to be reckoned with.
So how often do you see his UU counters in OU?

Not very often, but the point is that they CAN be played on OU. I'm just saying that milotic, donphan, quagsire (with the additon of recover), etc. are viable options in OU as well.

It is, especially when Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Swampert, and Machamp exist, and are probably better counters to Aggron than anything UU can muster. Hell, OU has plenty of Aggron checks too, like Breloom and Flygon.

It is, especially when Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Swampert, and Machamp exist, and are probably better counters to Aggron than anything UU can muster. Hell, OU has plenty of Aggron checks too, like Breloom and Flygon.
Machamp gets 2hko'd by a CB aggron, and probably the same with rocks/spikes from LO/RP

Well I've been testing Aggron on a SS team and its doing pretty well. Head Smash misses a lot and has PP issues when Suicune comes along, but otherwise usually does well. If you get Aggron in and fire off a Head Smash, whatever comes in is usually hurting.

A lot of things that are supposed to counter Aggron are 2HKOed and most of everything else is outright killed. In SS its easy to get in on an Outrage or Ice Beam and can often survive one attack and get a kill.

So basically get rid of Hippowdon, Swampert and Suicune and you are good to go.

I've been working on a trick room aggron that I think might be interesting.

TR Aggron @ life orb
Rock Head ability | Brave nature
252 atk/hp, 6 def | 0 spe IV

Metal Burst
Head Smash
Earthquake
Low Kick

the idea is to send out trick-room/kaboom claydol (or whomever else) and setup, and then for the next 4 turns wreak havoc with aggron. head smash with impunity as your rock head ability protects your neck. EQ serves as a powerful attack that lends to coverage. aqua tail is another option as it 2hkos donphan...you just won't get the chance.

low kick is for the regis, who are likely switch-ins against our pal. both are 2hko'd. neither can ohko with EQ.

steelix is faster in a trick room, but doesn't ohko with EQ. metal burst ftw. same goes for gastrodon and quagsire. metal burst also adds something of use for aggron if he lives through the trick room massacre or if you don't pull off the setup.

our aggron vs. common UU walls -

head smash destroys chansey.

you need 186 sp.d to survive milo's surf. you need 120 sp.d evs but I haven't calc'd how that would effect 2hkos/ohkos.

donphan destroys you, if you have aqua tail hit him as hard as you can or switch out to metal burst another day.

pory2 can take a head smash, recover and then possibly take another. there's a small chance to 2hko. (stealth rock helps). much better chance to 2hko clefable after softboiled, but doesn't one shot.

2hko's max def/hp uxie with head smash.

EQ 2hko's defensive drapion (who can't ohko back), head smash hits a little harder so start with it because it one-shots min hp/def. follow up with EQ for accuracy if they survive.

2hko max def spiritomb with headsmash, can ohko min def.

2shots weezing with head smash.

one-shots ludicolo w/ head smash.

hariyama is 3hko'd at best, but you'll get ohko'd by close combat or 2hko'd by BB/force palm. he can't ohko with brick break or force palm, but you're faster than him so no metal burst. switch out to metal burst another day or do what you can to harm him with EQ and stall out TR. (because you don't want hariyama taking advantage of your setup).

so ultimately, I'm predicting this set will draw out the opponents best wall and 2shot it without much fear (so long as it isn't donphan or hariyama. it would be smart to have a counter for them waiting in the wings), and then hopefully go on to take out at least another member of their team.

Lolno. Aggron destroys Flygon with Head Smash, and if Aggron has a Sub up, then most Breloom can't do anything to Aggron.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)