A tier list graveyard is no place for a young prince

i see quite a few people may have misunderstood the means of which i used to make the list. The two main factors were how good the games they are in are, and how well they sold.
piranha plant deserves f tier. the entire point of the character being in smash is that it dosent deserve it, and its funny.
how is yoshi above steve?
rob isnt even from a game, how is he anywhere but f?
did you really put the main character from half the namesake of an entire genre bellow squirtle?
why is banjo bellow all three links? do we need a second link, let alone a third?
id let ridley in d tier slide, because he is absolutely not a family friendly character, but you put bayo in c, so no.
you put the first mother rep in d, and the second mother rep in f? you do realise that earthbound was the inspiration for undertale, right.
rosalina in c tier?
as funny as plant is, it's a mario character and is present in all of them.
same with yoshi, actually feel like i was generous with steve's placement
rob represents nintendo's weird phase where they made toys part of games. actually they never really grew out of that so you could say he represents stuff like nintendo labo, amiibo and all that good stuff.
Squirtle is a pretty popular pokemon. also im curious who you're referring to as 'the namesake of an entire genre'
banjo had one good game.
actually you right i screwed up with ridley
eww undertale
and rosalina is super overrated.
Duck hunt and Game and watch in D tier is all I needed to see to completely disregard this opinion
i'm sorry but if you've played duck hunt or a game and watch then congrats, you're the oldest user on smogon.
  • Marth & Roy: At least for the purposes of Melee, these two are the entire reason Fire Emblem games started being localized in the first place, so that warrants higher ranks.
  • Every Brawl veteran: All of them with the exceptions of Toon Link and Wolf had story importance in said game’s adventure mode, provided some like Olimar had less than others preventing a higher placement
  • Melee clones (Pichu, YL, Dr. Mario, etc.): Aside from Roy and my extreme Pichu bias, these are probably some of the worst picks in the series overall. (Seriously, the only viable one in Melee is Falco anyways). Ultimate Pichu’s update history was so crazy that I unironically think that version specifically deserves a higher ranking than in Melee.
The older fire emblems are pretty bad tbh, so bad they were gonna cancel the series until awakening blew up and they got better. I like many others think that fire emblem is overrepresented, but instead of hating on the newer ones, I instead dislike the 4 clones of marth there are. robin, corrin and byleth get all the hate even though they have original movesets and superior video games.
I didn't take into account anything that smash bros did with the characters(such as subspace emissary), otherwise rob, fox and captain falcon would be way higher.
I dislike clones as well but the games the melee ones came from are good so I think it's sorta justified.

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After spending way too long thinking about this, I'm annoyed that my result feels pretty milquetoast. Maybe it'll be super controversial though, who knows. I think very few chars are essential and very few chars 'dont deserve the slot': i like smaller rosters than ultimate's but it's nothing personal against a character, except maybe those in the singular bottom tier.

I feel like people would take "Average Minus" as an insult, but that's not the point at all. I think characters like Bayo, Palu, and Piranha Plant are super cool (at least conceptually... looking at you bayo...) and add a lot and I'm glad they're here. Just, if there's only so many slots to go around, and people unfortunately have to go, they may closer to the top of the list. In a similar vein, "Average" is high praise in such a value-dense set of characters.

Note that, though I put almost all the third parties pretty highly as individuals, I don't think the game should have a super high ratio of third party characters to Nintendo characters.

Screen Shot 2023-11-18 at 1.53.05 PM.png

- not ordered within tiers
- i don't count echo fighters or quasi echoes (doc pichu young link), i assume they take little enough resources that i consider them free goodies
-'mii brawler' means 'a mii(s) in some form, not specifically 'mii brawler'. the other miis mean the specific mii types.

edit: yeah idk why i didnt put villy up a tier

Last edited:
After spending way too long thinking about this, I'm annoyed that my result feels pretty milquetoast. Maybe it'll be super controversial though, who knows. I think very few chars are essential and very few chars 'dont deserve the slot': i like smaller rosters than ultimate's but it's nothing personal against a character, except maybe those in the singular bottom tier.

I feel like people would take "Average Minus" as an insult, but that's not the point at all. I think characters like Bayo, Palu, and Piranha Plant are super cool (at least conceptually... looking at you bayo...) and add a lot and I'm glad they're here. Just, if there's only so many slots to go around, and people unfortunately have to go, they may closer to the top of the list. In a similar vein, "Average" is high praise in such a value-dense set of characters.

Note that, though I put almost all the third parties pretty highly as individuals, I don't think the game should have a super high ratio of third party characters to Nintendo characters.

View attachment 572142
- i don't count echo fighters or quasi echoes (doc pichu young link), i assume they take little enough resources that i consider them free goodies
-'mii brawler' means 'a mii(s) in some form, not specifically 'mii brawler'. the other miis mean the specific mii types.
This is the best list I’ve seen, other than moving Mewtwo and Villager to basically essential I like it

what the fuck do you mean by this im genuinly so confused zelda is one of the most influential video game series ever
(no im not biased one bit definitely not nuh uh)
is he the face of video games? is zelda the namesake of a genre like metroid is? is zelda the best selling video game?

i want to clarify that the reason he isnt in s tier is because i kept it absurdly exclusive. if there was a tier between as and a, he would be there.

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
is he the face of video games? is zelda the namesake of a genre like metroid is? is zelda the best selling video game?
his two most recent games have sold over 50m and at least one was a cultural phenomenon so, yeah, he is a face of video games right now

i am aware sales are not the only measure of influence, but it is one measure, and botw + totk sales are more than double the combined sales of all 15+ metroid games, ever

if i was making this list pre-botw, i would have put link lower than i did, but link game influence is pretty hardcore right now

Now this is a good list! My only disagreements are Captain Falcon (should be a tier higher - he's an iconic part of smash history) and Mega Man (should be a tier higher, on par with Sonic and Pac Man).

Kind of like R.O.B., Falcon is what I consider a "child of Smash". His powers were imagined for Smash 64 itself - the Falcon Punch in the F-Zero anime even came from it originally. So much of what makes Falcon special comes from Smash rather than his own games, and that's not something which should be lost imo.

Right, this contrarian garbage personal opinion needs some explanation. Smash as an accolade does matter, but I also think of the games as providing insight into some series the player hasn't experienced yet. As a result, "does this moveset provide a good representation of the reference character/video game series" and "is this moveset fun enough to have me want to look further" were also top questions that informed placement. This especially impacts one particular franchise that a)is often known by media other than its core games and b) has pretty surface-level movesets.
1700482439017.png

is zelda the namesake of a genre like metroid is? is zelda the best selling video game?
Sorry, but you're giving metroid waaaay too much credit. Basic Metroid games are just platforms where you have a gun. And a year after the first Metroid came out, we got mega man, a far superior title in both sales and gameplay. And if you're talking about metroid prime (still waiting for prime 4 btw) its just nintendo's first attempt at a shooter that they only made because of the success of Halo a year prior. The best selling metroid game is dread at around 3 million copies sold. Compare that to zelda's best games:
Breath of the Wild: 30.7 million
Tears of the Kingdom: 18.5 million
Twilight Princess: 8.6 million
Ocarina of Time: 7.6 million
Original NES game: 6.5 million
That's just the top 5. Zelda is a far more influential game than Metroid is. It's not even close.

View attachment 572142

edit: yeah idk why i didnt put villy up a tier
Great list. My main problem with it is that OLIMAR IS IN NO WAY BASICALLY ESSENTIAL. there's a few other small things i could mention but that's one thing that should be fixed.

Right, this contrarian garbage personal opinion needs some explanation. Smash as an accolade does matter, but I also think of the games as providing insight into some series the player hasn't experienced yet. As a result, "does this moveset provide a good representation of the reference character/video game series" and "is this moveset fun enough to have me want to look further" were also top questions that informed placement. This especially impacts one particular franchise that a)is often known by media other than its core games and b) has pretty surface-level movesets.
If you made this list based on how well they are represented in their movesets, then why is ness in B? not only does his game AND the game that was inspired by it suck, but he doesnt actually use any of his pk attacks in his home game. PK fire, thunder, flash, you name it. He can't do it in game. The only real reference is the baseball bat. I believe Ness needs a major rework or just to be removed from smash bros. He and his japan-exclusive brother never deserved to be here.

Sorry, but you're giving metroid waaaay too much credit. Basic Metroid games are just platforms where you have a gun. And a year after the first Metroid came out, we got mega man, a far superior title in both sales and gameplay. And if you're talking about metroid prime (still waiting for prime 4 btw) its just nintendo's first attempt at a shooter that they only made because of the success of Halo a year prior. The best selling metroid game is dread at around 3 million copies sold. Compare that to zelda's best games:
Breath of the Wild: 30.7 million
Tears of the Kingdom: 18.5 million
Twilight Princess: 8.6 million
Ocarina of Time: 7.6 million
Original NES game: 6.5 million
That's just the top 5. Zelda is a far more influential game than Metroid is. It's not even close.

Great list. My main problem with it is that OLIMAR IS IN NO WAY BASICALLY ESSENTIAL. there's a few other small things i could mention but that's one thing that should be fixed.

If you made this list based on how well they are represented in their movesets, then why is ness in B? not only does his game AND the game that was inspired by it suck, but he doesnt actually use any of his pk attacks in his home game. PK fire, thunder, flash, you name it. He can't do it in game. The only real reference is the baseball bat. I believe Ness needs a major rework or just to be removed from smash bros. He and his japan-exclusive brother never deserved to be here.
where do you think the name metroidvania comes from. zelda might be succesful, but it didnt start a genre.
also, if your going by sales, why didnt you put steve in s. minecraft has sold more copies than any game with 300 million copies sold. thats more than second and third place combined, and almost twice as many as the top 5 best selling mainline mario games combined. its also almost twice as much as the entire legend of zelda series. minecraft sold more in its first six months of full release than some franchises in smash have period. minecrafts switch sales alone have sold more than some entire ips in smash. minecraft is the 74th highest grossing media franchise in the world, and until 2019, the entire ip was one game.
actually i've never heard of that term until you brought it up sooooo
heard of hollow knight? ori? caslevania? those are all metroidvanias.
mega man, shantae, and cave story also take major inspiration from the genre.

Last edited:
I'm willing to accept compromise on the character if it helps show off the game better, particularly if that game isn't going to be getting characters other than the main protagonists anytime soon (another example is that I'm not bothered by Byleth using weapons normally exclusive to other characters, I'm bothered by the lack of Brawling weapons that 3H introduced). Ness probably could drop to C with most other minor series reps admittedly.

I misread the title and thought it was gonna be a tierlist of the coolest looking graveyards, now i'm sad

where do you think the name metroidvania comes from. zelda might be succesful, but it didnt start a genre.
Metroidvania is just an unofficial genre term thats decently popular only within dedicated game discussion spaces lol. I can guarantee that I could ask people who play video games, but aren't deep in these spaces what a metroidvania is, and a lot of them would be wondering what the fuck I am saying

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Hey fellas, I'm back with some more tier lists that nobody asked for my opinions on

1701497702984.png

Yoshi colors tier list, although I did know that Baby Yoshi has a magenta variant. The icons are taken from Mario Kart 8/8 Deluxe but some of them are custom icons since those specific Yoshis aren't in the game for some reason. Tiers are based off of how nice the colors look on Yoshi and how many different settings the color could potentially fit in. The tiers aren't ranked in any specific order, unlike the next one. If I had to pick a personal favorite, I would probably say Light-Blue Yoshi is best Yoshi, but this is also my favorite color so I'm a bit biased.

1701498450853.png

All nine Pokémon generations so far ranked in a tier list, ranked base of how enjoyable and balanced their respective OU tier is from overall experience. The level of parity between top tiers and bottom tiers is important to me to some extent, but what matters more to me is how much power creep exists between generations and how many different broken threats coexist at the same time. Having a wider variety of viable team archetypes will only help your ranking here.

1701499455593.png

I came up with the idea for this bonus list as I was posting the first two; Pichu's one of my favorite Pokémon ever created and one of my favorite fictional characters outright, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise that I was absolutely thrilled with Pichu's return and the insane buffs this thing got in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. One of the main reasons I hoped to see Pichu return from its "joke character" status it had in Melee was because with 17 more years worth of Pokémon media to pull from, I was very interested in what Pichu's alternate costumes would have looked like. Fans of the series during the Smash 4 days may remember a competition held that was called the Smash Ballot, a sort of poll where fans could submit their vote for who they wanted to see become a Smash character in the foreseeable future. If you couldn't tell by this story, the alternate costume thing was my main argument I included in my response, although you also might have noticed that a certain... something isn't present in this game. When I referenced alternate costumes in my Smash Ballot response, I actually avoided mentioning the costume option I really wanted, presumably because I was nervous some random stranger at Nintendo might see this random Smash Ballot response that was already incredibly in-depth and detailed. Nowadays, the general consensus seems to be that this costume option wouldn't have worked anyways since it would have been a more significant 3D model change involving an equipped accessory, which none of Pichu's actual alternate costumes are in the final release of Ultimate. I still can't help but wonder if I threw away a chance of a lifetime, though. Oh, well. Pichu being here at all is still better than no Pichu, so I'm not going to complain.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey fellas, I'm back with some more tier lists that nobody asked for my opinions on

View attachment 575759

Yoshi colors tier list, although I did know that Baby Yoshi has a magenta variant. The icons are taken from Mario Kart 8/8 Deluxe but some of them are custom icons since those specific Yoshis aren't in the game for some reason. Tiers are based off of how nice the colors look on Yoshi and how many different settings the color could potentially fit in. The tiers aren't ranked in any specific order, unlike the next one. If I had to pick a personal favorite, I would probably say Light-Blue Yoshi is best Yoshi, but this is also my favorite color so I'm a bit biased.

View attachment 575762

All nine Pokémon generations so far ranked in a tier list, ranked base of how enjoyable and balanced their respective OU tier is from overall experience. The level of parity between top tiers and bottom tiers is important to me to some extent, but what matters more to me is how much power creep exists between generations and how many different broken threats coexist at the same time. Having a wider variety of viable team archetypes will only help your ranking here.

View attachment 575765

I came up with the idea for this bonus list as I was posting the first two; Pichu's one of my favorite Pokémon ever created and one of my favorite fictional characters outright, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise that I was absolutely thrilled with Pichu's return and the insane buffs this thing got in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. One of the main reasons I hoped to see Pichu return from its "joke character" status it had in Melee was because with 17 more years worth of Pokémon media to pull from, I was very interested in what Pichu's alternate costumes would have looked like. Fans of the series during the Smash 4 days may remember a competition held that was called the Smash Ballot, a sort of poll where fans could submit their vote for who they wanted to see become a Smash character in the foreseeable future. If you couldn't tell by this story, the alternate costume thing was my main argument I included in my response, although you also might have noticed that a certain... something isn't present in this game. When I referenced alternate costumes in my Smash Ballot response, I actually avoided mentioning the costume option I really wanted, presumably because I was nervous some random stranger at Nintendo might see this random Smash Ballot response that was already incredibly in-depth and detailed. Nowadays, the general consensus seems to be that this costume option wouldn't have worked anyways since it would have been a more significant 3D model change involving an equipped accessory, which none of Pichu's actual alternate costumes are in the final release of Ultimate. I still can't help but wonder if I threw away a chance of a lifetime, though. Oh, well. Pichu being here at all is still better than no Pichu, so I'm not going to complain.
gen 9 ou is fun

My top 10 Mario Kart Tracks. Note that I haven't played all the MK Games, notably Super Circuit, 64, and Double Dash, also I don't have the DLC for 8 Deluxe. MY OPINION ON THESE...but here you go. I'll probably make a bigger list later (Higher up on the list = better)
BAFF2C40-2421-4E42-B903-3E6B3C9EE30F.jpeg

Edit: I forgot about Wario Shipyard from 3DS. It's above Maple Treeway for me

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 1)