Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Is fairy or flying Gambit a better defensive typing in the current meta?
To elaborate on this, in the current meta I'm leaning toward fairy as the better tera type. Fairy maintains a neutrality to Raging Bolt's thunderclap, which when 252+ Proto Spa boosted only does about ~50% on a neutral hit to Gambit. This is fairly significant as many teams keep a Bolt in the back as a Gambit revenge killer.

Tera flying has the advantage of gaining a ground immunity, but most Tusks are running ice spinner nowadays. The other advantage is maintaining a resist to Rillaboom's grassy glide.

Any insight folks have to offer on this would be appreciated.

Why did the sleep ban affect lower tiers too? If lower tiers didn't have issues with it like OU, shouldn't they decide among themselves whether they should ban sleep or not?

Is Assault Vest Iron Hands still a thing? What would be the set?

And what other AV users are decent in this meta, besides Glowking, as I would like to use it in conjunction with PivotKing.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Is Assault Vest Iron Hands still a thing? What would be the set?

And what other AV users are decent in this meta, besides Glowking, as I would like to use it in conjunction with PivotKing.
Iron Hands isn't used very much and if it is it tends to run a Swords Dance set more often than AV, though I suppose it's not unviable.

Other viable AV users include Rillaboom, Primarina, Samurott-Hisui, Hoopa-Unbound, Tornadus-Therian, and Archaludon in rain.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Why did the sleep ban affect lower tiers too? If lower tiers didn't have issues with it like OU, shouldn't they decide among themselves whether they should ban sleep or not?
OU bans are transitive to lower tiers. This is based on the tiering principle that there shouldn't be stuff allowed in lower tiers that's banned in higher tiers. From what's been communicated to me most of the lower tier communities don't mind the ban on sleep moves either way.

Iron Hands isn't used very much and if it is it tends to run a Swords Dance set more often than AV, though I suppose it's not unviable.

Other viable AV users include Rillaboom, Primarina, Samurott-Hisui, Hoopa-Unbound, Tornadus-Therian, and Archaludon in rain.
Oh, what does AV Rillaboom look like?

Hello guys, just started playing again recently.
Was just wondering, why BO doesnt seem as popular anymore. I see mostly fat stuff and HO.
Please let me know, what the current meta structures/archetypes are.
Thank you in advance

Hello guys, just started playing again recently.
Was just wondering, why BO doesnt seem as popular anymore. I see mostly fat stuff and HO.
Please let me know, what the current meta structures/archetypes are.
Thank you in advance
I think it's in part because a lot of the Bulkier offensive threats are things that slot into what you and a lot of us think of as HO anyway. Raging Bolt and Gouging Fire are both extremely strong for example, but their bulk and move options make them very potent beatsticks or win conditions that can pressure even throughout the game, so HO employs them more and leverages their bulk to get SOME longevity out of their usual "win fast" approach. The traits that make GF good at surviving for 4-5 turns also mean it can securely get 2-3 to Flare Blitz through your walls or Speed controllers

I decided to return to the meta after Indigo disc dropped. I am interested in running a CB Rillaboom + Calm Mind Raging Bolt as a core. What would be some good mons to surround them with? I am open to either Bulky Offense or Sun Team Archetypes.

Hello,

I finally bit the bullet and made an account - specifically to make this post.

I'm also not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm fed up and desperate.

I got into competitive battling around 10 years ago, but haven't had many friends, let alone ones who were into Pokemon & battling.

So since then, I've tried to learn as much as I can, on my own.

But no matter how much I've studied Smogon & the forums and watched Poke-Tubers, I just can't seem to put it all together to win consistently.

Best I've been able to do is get into the 1300 to 1400 range in OU, but then after that, I feel like no matter what team or play-style I try to use, everyone has an answer for me and out-plays me.

I have put A LOT of time into Pokemon over the last 10 years in order to "git gud", and it sucks to feel like I still don't know what I'm doing after all this time.

And it sucks even more to not have any friends to learn and grow from while playing this game.

I NEED HELP.

I don't know how to go about getting tutoring/coaching for this game, but I would really like to connect with people in order to learn and get better at Pokemon battling.

Thanks

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hello,

I finally bit the bullet and made an account - specifically to make this post.

I'm also not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm fed up and desperate.

I got into competitive battling around 10 years ago, but haven't had many friends, let alone ones who were into Pokemon & battling.

So since then, I've tried to learn as much as I can, on my own.

But no matter how much I've studied Smogon & the forums and watched Poke-Tubers, I just can't seem to put it all together to win consistently.

Best I've been able to do is get into the 1300 to 1400 range in OU, but then after that, I feel like no matter what team or play-style I try to use, everyone has an answer for me and out-plays me.

I have put A LOT of time into Pokemon over the last 10 years in order to "git gud", and it sucks to feel like I still don't know what I'm doing after all this time.

And it sucks even more to not have any friends to learn and grow from while playing this game.

I NEED HELP.

I don't know how to go about getting tutoring/coaching for this game, but I would really like to connect with people in order to learn and get better at Pokemon battling.

Thanks
Just sign up using this link:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/apprentice-program-signups-sv-ou.3715591/

veti

Supreme Overlord
is a Pre-Contributor
Hello!
Can somebody explain this Ttar set on the Dex?

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 24 SpA / 216 SpD
Tera Type: Flying
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

What benchmarks the EV spread achieves and also, why Taunt?
ty to royalfluxh for giving me the explanation of evs

The spread lives speed boosting Great Tusks Headlong Rush while 2HKOing it with Stealth Rock. 216 spdef doesn't have any benchmark as far as I know, it's just dumping into special bulk.

Hi whats the common teambuilding structure for bo in gen9ou, asking as its my favorite and most comfortable playstyle and im relatively new to gen9ou. Electric/ground atk immunity still mandatory + steel type mandatory still? I dont know how to build anything cept ho this gen9

Thanks for your time in advance if ure able to help me out with a reply, its much appreciated

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Is the Official Smogon Tournament (OST) the only smogon tournament with a cash prize?
No there's more for example there was a 2000 dollar donation for this years SPL tournament, and there's other discord servers (who I will not advertise) that do cash tournaments on the usual. But yeah just be on the look out.

No there's more for example there was a 2000 dollar donation for this years SPL tournament, and there's other discord servers (who I will not advertise) that do cash tournaments on the usual. But yeah just be on the look out.
Interesting. Is SPL usually the biggest payout from Smogon's "official" tournaments?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)