Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
I really hope that Rotom gets access to Defog once again in the new DLC. Having a solid option that can threaten Gliscor with Water+Electric coverage (in case it goes for the Tera Water), outspeeds both Gholdengo and Samurott-H, is immune to Ting-Lu's EQ AND can threaten the likes of Cinderace and Tusk to quite possibly keep your own hazards up would be fantastic. Rotom-W can also Tera into a Steel-type to become immune to Toxic and completely wall 90% of Gliscor's sets, which would further improve the consistency of its Defog attempts.

Last edited:
Gliscor, Roaring Moon, Volcarona, and Darkrai will be unbanned from SV OU with the Indigo Disk DLC:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-from-sv-ou-with-the-indigo-disk-dlc.3732524/
So I'm going to get a little sentimental and gushy here because it's less than 24 hours until the DLC releases and I think it suits the mood right now. I am BEYOND happy that Darkrai, my favorite Pokemon, is finally going to be usable in my favorite metagame. To give you an idea of how much of a Darkrai megafan I am, here's my arm tattoo of my shadowy nightmare boi.

20231212_211046.jpg

On a non-gushy note; I genuinely think that Darkrai will add a wonderful offensive presence to the meta. The influx of power creep, Darkrai's nerfs, major 4MSS, and multiple shaky options keep Darkrai in check. As multiple people have stated in the thread already, Roaring Moon is generally an overall better option as an offensive Dark-type - so I think Darkrai might be a little overshadowed at first (combined with new toy syndrome for all the new drops, of course). I'm so excited for the DLC2 meta to start - this is going to be a blast, I can't wait to see what new strategies and unique mons take charge in this upcoming meta! This meta is going to be one of the most memorable in Smogon OU history imo - call it a hunch, but I just have a feeling things are going to fall into place just right.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
This is more of an announcement-type post, but today will be the last day for this thread.

The OU Mod team will be doing the usual procedure for DLC, which means:

- I will make a new metagame discussion thread with all the information as fast as I can (my personal goal is by Friday morning at the latest)
- We will have a mon reservation thread so that individual threads for the returning and new pokemon are posted
- We are working with discord staff to set up some type of kick-off or release tour, but we will announce details at a later time once we figure it out

If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to PM me or another moderator. PS-wise, we don't have any information/leaks, which means that the devs will need a little longer to implement everything. I have no idea how long it'll take, but give them time and in the mean time, enjoy the DLC if you've purchased it in-game.

This meta/time of gen was definitely not easy, but we made it to the end, and we'll hopefully have a better time starting from tomorrow. Thank you all for your patience and contributions up until now.

As a final topic for this thread, I'll go ahead and suggest doing your personal "Top 10" for the DLC1 meta. Have fun, be kind to each other, and have a nice day.

I entered the meta game pretty late due to a long hiatus from Smogon in general but pretty wild to see my nightmares come to life with a few of these unbans. My only hope is that the pain and suffering I get to inflict onto others will be enough to fill the void in my chest.

Thanks for the ride so far mods, Look forward to the new flamewars with the DLC soon

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
This is more of an announcement-type post, but today will be the last day for this thread.

The OU Mod team will be doing the usual procedure for DLC, which means:

- I will make a new metagame discussion thread with all the information as fast as I can (my personal goal is by Friday morning at the latest)
- We will have a mon reservation thread so that individual threads for the returning and new pokemon are posted
- We are working with discord staff to set up some type of kick-off or release tour, but we will announce details at a later time once we figure it out

If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to PM me or another moderator. PS-wise, we don't have any information/leaks, which means that the devs will need a little longer to implement everything. I have no idea how long it'll take, but give them time and in the mean time, enjoy the DLC if you've purchased it in-game.

This meta/time of gen was definitely not easy, but we made it to the end, and we'll hopefully have a better time starting from tomorrow. Thank you all for your patience and contributions up until now.

As a final topic for this thread, I'll go ahead and suggest doing your personal "Top 10" for the DLC1 meta. Have fun, be kind to each other, and have a nice day.
Top Ten Mons in Gen 9 DLC 1
#1: Kingambit
#2: Great Tusk
#3: Roaring Moon
#4: Wogerpon
#5: Gholdengo
#6: Gliscor
#7: Sneasler
#8: Fogerpon
#9: Hamurott
#10: Cinderace

Top ten mons of DLC1.
1. Great tusk. This mon has basically carried the tier on its back. Without it, like 50% of the tier would likely either be banned or borderline broken. I salute it and hope that it has more great utility in the tier.
2. Heatran Old reliable is great once again. Despite falling to UU briefly, it's typing and trapping abilities will always have it a niche in OU. This also helped us against dangerous pokemon like Baxcalibur and Gliscor with air balloon. Truly one of the best of all time.
3. Alomomola This mon is the glow up story we all wished for mons to have. From being an RU pokemon, to being a great defensive mon in OU, it can't be denied that mola stocks have risen considerably.
4. Landorus Therian They say you can't teach a dog new tricks, but Lando has shown that statement to be wrong. Despite almost falling to UU, this mon has adapted and overcome its challenges. May it never fall to UU so we can have a mon that has only be in OU.
5. Skeledirge My firey croc is one of my favourite new additions. It's bulk, unaware and torch song allows for you to reverse sweep set-up sweepers, something that is difficult in this metagame. Anybody want
6. Meowscarada Another great starter mon (sorry quaval fans, it's great but not top 10 material). Choice scarf, knock off and flower trick have always been useful for me and it can support its team with t-spikes or spikes. An underdog, but its bite is more painful than its bark.
7. Dondozo Some may hate its defensive prowess, but it has like Great tusk, stopped many dangerous sweepers. Sneasler giving you trouble? Who you going to call? Dondozo.
8. Hawlucha Overshadowed by Sneasler most of the time, this mon was a recent favourite of mine. It may be diet sneasler, but that is still an amazing title to have. Underlooked, but in my heart, it is always going to be a favourite. Also rip this mon if tapus don't return.
9. Iron hands Another recent favourite, this thing TANKS. Slap an assault vest on, and nothing can ohko it, and many struggle to 2 hit ko it. Might be UUBL, but don't underestimate it, it can trade itself at the very least for 2 mons.
10. Glimmora The one hazard setter that hasn't been eternally hated. Despite getting hazards up extremely reliably, it will always be a good mon for the metagame. Mortal spin means it can remove hazards as well, making it both a bad and good presence in the metagame. This mon is dichotomy at its finest.

Honourable mentions (barely missed top ten, but still good mons in my eyes)
Amoonguss
Cinderace
Corviknight
Hatterene
Glowking
Toxapex

top 10 most banworthy pokemon in dlc1:
  1. :ursaluna-bloodmoon: could effectively throw out hyper beams and act during the recharge turn. off of flutter mane's special attack. with nothing immune to it. and bulk that made the average physical wall jealous. and calm mind. and vacuum wave. and reliable recovery. and a usable body press for blissey. who the fuck designed this and thought it was ok? did some 12-year-old sneak his mary-sue fnaf oc into the design documents during take-your-kid-to-work day?
  2. :baxcalibur: sky-high attack, a spammable version of outrage with a consequence that turned out to not actually matter most of the time, unreasonably good mixed bulk, a burn immunity, strong ice stab with ground coverage, and—this is the big one—a viable snow/veil setter as a partner to triple its defense and double its spdef. also, the addition of scale shot let it run very threatening loaded dice sets alongside icicle spear, while still being able to set up with even more breaking power thanks to swords dance. it was the fastest ban that ou ever had (or thereabouts, not sure whether it or marshadow lasted longer) and it fully deserved it
  3. :sneasler: cheese incarnate. it had an attack that had a paralysis chance and sleep chance at the same time and that wasn't even why it was broken. it had the power and speed of a glass cannon, but grassy seed sets also gave it way too much bulk for something that fast and that strong. poison/fighting stab was exceedingly good against most of the meta, especially when you combined it with, oh, i dunno, tera flying acrobatics. it sometimes had problems dealing with gholdeng- wait, no, this one has lash out, never mind. well, at least dondozo could- oh, it's asleep. yeah this mon was just kind of a free win button and really earned the 4.39 it scored from qualified players on its last survey
  4. :ogerpon-hearthflame: unga (and i cannot stress this enough) bunga. that was the main design philosophy behind firepon. powerful and high-crit fire stab, multiple strong grass stab options, high speed, and swords dance would have made her a menace already, even without the ability to hold boots—although getting a consequence-free 1.2x boost to all attacks was enough to make up for that. but then the good folks at game freak must have thought, "hey, this isn't broken enough for a dlc legendary, urshifu was like twice as bullshit as this", so they decided to give her another form that had pre-nerf intrepid sword on top of the adaptability boost that tera already gives. what a thing they created here
  5. :gholdengo: ever heard of defog? no you haven't, and this motherfucker is why. the string cheese man's existence effectively limits reliable hazard removal to three options and one of them is just a funko pop collection. not only does it warp the meta around hazards even in games it isn't actually in, it's also a terror of a mon in its own right, with extremely well-distributed stats, a super-strong stab move and massive spa to back it up, an incredible defensive typing, reliable recovery, immunity to all status moves, a bevy of utility moves in its kit for stallbreaking and speed control, nasty plot for setup, this thing's like the world's most expensive swiss army knife. even in natdex, where defog distribution is much wider, gholdengo was enough of a negative effect on the tier that they had to ban it. unfortunately, it snuck under the radar for just long enough that we couldn't follow suit
  6. :kingambit: fuck this thing. i don't need to explain why it's on this list because there are half a million posts doing it for me. if nothing else, kingambit should be banned under evasion clause because of all the tiering action it's dodged. the last time i played an sv match that had an actual endgame was pre-home and that is entirely due to this absolute bastard
  7. :manaphy: tail glow with veil support was the talk of the town back when the dlc first released, and that's how manaphy first found itself in the crosshairs. but what made it stay there for the whole dlc was the other sets that people kept coming up with, each more stupid and insufferable than the one before it. resttalk take heart. acid armor stall. moist demon mew. at one point, it seemed like every week there would be some new dumb manaphy set to deal with. it never did make it onto the chopping block in the end, but plenty of people wanted it to
  8. :gliscor: a meta-warping monstrosity that was an effective guarantee of three layers of spikes on your opponent's side of the field. even with no roost, its bulk combined with poison heal and protect was enough to leave it nearly immortal against anything that couldn't hit it supereffectively. the most common gliscor sets would run spikes, earthquake, protect, and either knock off or toxic, which made the best and most reliable switch-in to gliscor… another gliscor. and then they'd just sit there and futz around for fifty turns or so because there was literally no safer move than staying in. yes, a lot of the problem was gholdengo's, but gliscor was well and truly bullshit on its own too
  9. :ogerpon-wellspring: a bit less oppressive than her hot sister, but waterpon is still a formidable and meta-defining pokemon that exerts way too much pressure on a wide variety of teams. defensive teams especially hate her because of water absorb—dondozo and alomomomomola typically have anywhere from one to zero options against this mon—but she's no slouch against offense and balance either. she has the same damage output as firepon, but with water stab instead of fire (obviously), which has turned out to be a pretty useful combo offensively. her tera form also turns her into a defensive powerhouse while bolstering her offensive prowess, giving her a pure water typing and a free spdef boost, which makes her a fantastic answer to several special attackers that would normally kick her mask right down her throat. although not actually kick, they'd do it with like a beam or something because they're special attackers. you get what i'm saying. altogether one of the most jack-of-all-trades mons in the tier
  10. :roaring moon: objectively, this needed to go, even though it wasn't as big a problem as the other things here. dragon dance with already crazy attack and good speed, knock off to nearly guarantee progress even against its checks, booster energy acrobatics, stupidly good special bulk for some reason, and the ability to pick and choose its checks with taunt and roost made roaring moon a nightmare to play against. also, it's a form of salamence, and those are contractually obligated to be banned at some point
  11. :dipplin: i think the reasoning here is self-evident
here's hoping that we have a less coralines_dad_at_computer.png time in dlc2 than we did here

Last edited:
Lily and Star being the exceptions
This is objectively wrong and, at least Lily specifically, is probably the most knowledgeable since she's been playing suspect test OU in OUPL.

To add to the discussion, what pokemon do you guys think will fall off with DLC2?

Moltres comes to mind since most teams will opt for volcarona since the metagame skews offensively and moltres' passiveness is a big detriment. It's obviously bulkier and does better into stuff like zama or ting as a pivot but turning something into setup fodder is just too valuable.

Gliscor also shouldn't be as oppressive as it was before with stronger breakers/sweepers dropping in moon, volc and darkrai, along with kyurem and weavile rising to help with these threats, which should hopefully make it easier to weaken or kill. Obviously it'll still do everything it used to do excellently but now you won't have to dedicate a tera poison/steel pokemon to 1v1 it reliably.

Hatterene seems like it becomes worse since it doesn't really enjoy the boosted power level. Conversely, moon returning might help it become more relevant since sun becomes more relevant.

Lastly, Waterpon and Rilla get some offensive checks which is great since both of them are some of the biggest offensive threats in the meta right now.

Since I can't very well leave off the soon-to-be-closed thread without one last bazonker whomper of a post, here we go -

Morkal's Top Ten of SV DLC-1 Overused

1 (TIE) - Glimmora

96px-0970Glimmora.png

Favorite Set

:glimmora:
Glimmora @ Black Sludge
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Mortal Spin
- Power Gem
- Earth Power

Glimmora is possibly the single most fun I've ever had with a dual hazard setter/spinner Pokemon in all of my time playing OU (that may seem like a short list, but it's bigger than you think). Having a Pokemon with a unique ability that automatically sets Toxic Spikes when hit by a physical move (and punishing multi-hit moves), having a unique spin move to clear (not your) hazards that also poisons the opposing Pokemon? Glimmora is one of the best new OU Pokemon and I hope he gets some additional options with the upcoming DLC.

1 (TIE) - Calyrex

96px-0898Calyrex.png

Favorite Set

:calyrex:
Calyrex @ Red Card
Ability: Unnerve
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Def / 236 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Future Sight
- Leech Seed
- Trick
- Body Press

You knew this was going to be here. Calyrex has been and will continue to be one of my favorite Pokemon to use in OU. It would have been my undisputed #1, but it's had a bit of a harder time compared to when I started using it back in May/June. It's doing the same things that it did before, just some of the options have been switched around for better or worse. Here's my OU analysis on Calyrex if you'd like to read it for the full in-depth explanation, but the TLDR; as long as Pokemon like Kingambit still exist, Calyrex's OU niche will remain unexpectedly powerful and unique (plus, resisting both of Great Tusk's STABs is a pretty nice trait).

2 - Great Tusk
250px-0984Great_Tusk.png

Favorite Set

:great tusk:
Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Headlong Rush
- Rock Tomb
- Rapid Spin

Do I even need to explain? It's fuckin' Tusk dude.

3 - Ting-Lu
1003Ting-Lu.png

Favorite Set:

:ting lu:
Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Earthquake
- Protect

Ting-Lu is the embodiment of "I fear not the man who once practiced a thousand kicks, I fear the man who has practiced one (high jump) kick a thousand times. Ting-Lu's minuscule movepool is so perfectly tailored for it that it doesn't need anything else. This thing just doesn't die; want it to set hazards and phase? You got it. Want to go offensive and take out some surprise answers with you? You got it. Bulky, strong, a great typing both offensive and defensively, Ting-Lu is going to continue being a fantastic choice for many meta to come (provided he doesn't get the dexit treatment in generation 10, oof).

4- Kleavor
200px-Spr_8a_900_s.png

Favorite Set

:kleavor:
Kleavor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sharpness
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Axe
- Night Slash
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Stone Axe is one of the best utility attacking moves ever; being able to fire off Sharpness-boosted Rock STAB coming off a base 135 attack stat (possibly Tera boosted as well) that also sets up Stealth Rock? Count me in. Kleavor is a great Pokemon in OU and I'm sad that he didn't get as much recognition, he's more flexible as a choice than you think.

5 - Ogerpon-Cornerstone
HOME1017C.png

Favorite Set

:ogerpon cornerstone:
Ogerpon-Cornerstone (F) @ Cornerstone Mask
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Rock
Adamant Nature
- Trailblaze
- Ivy Cudgel
- Stomping Tantrum
- Spiky Shield

Easily my favorite out of the Ogermons - if you can keep him healthy (works great on wish-pass teams with effective hazard control), his fantastic offensive typing and surprising defensive prowess along with access to some of the most (rock) solid boosting and utility options in OU and you've got a Pokemon who's fast, powerful, and can take a hit. Don't sleep on the Roger (I'm still using that nickname for him).

6 - Morpeko
110px-0877Morpeko-Hangry.png

Favorite Set

:morpeko:
Morpeko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Hunger Switch
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aura Wheel
- Parting Shot
- Rapid Spin
- Super Fang

Probably my favorite dedicated Utility spinner in OU; I used Morpeko in generation 8's OU as well and it's just as good here as it was then - in fact, it's even better this generation thanks to Tera and a handful of favorable matchups in OU such as Alomomola, Blissey, offensive Ceruledge, a few Gholdengo variants, Kingambit (Morpeko can turn out and lower Kingambit's attack without worry of Sucker Punch thanks to Parting Shot), Skeledirge, Slowking-Galar, Toxapex, and a few others. The combined utility of its signature dual STAB move Aura Wheel (Physical 110BP 100% Acc. Dual Electric/Dark STAB move, boosts Morpeko's speed by 1 every time it's used, switches between Electric/Dark-type depending on Morpeko's ability status), Parting Shot, Rapid Spin, and Super Fang on a single set is unrivaled.

7 - Enamorus
250px-0905Enamorus.png

Favorite Set

:enamorus:
Enamorus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Moonblast
- Mystical Fire
- Grass Knot

Good ol' reliable.

8 - Dragapult
250px-0887Dragapult.png

Favorite Set

:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- U-turn
- Curse

Good ol' reliable 2 - I hate screens boogaloo

9 - Infernape
250px-0392Infernape.png

Favorite Set

:infernape:
Infernape @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Iron Fist
Tera Type: Electric
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Raging Fury
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch

252 Atk Iron Fist Infernape Drain Punch vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Kingambit: 436-516 (109 - 129%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Infernape Raging Fury vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gholdengo: 252-296 (66.6 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Infernape Raging Fury vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gholdengo: 500-590 (132.2 - 156%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Iron Fist Tera Electric Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 278-330 (91.4 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

+2 252 Atk Iron Fist Tera Electric Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 420-494 (78.6 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Iron Fist Infernape Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Empoleon: 512-606 (137.6 - 162.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Iron Fist Infernape Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Garganacl: 324-384 (80.1 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

10 - Amoonguss
250px-0591Amoonguss.png

Favorite Set

:amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 128 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog

I love double status so much. This Pokemon not only allows me to cripple a huge portion of enemy teams with status but also has great longevity with both STAB Giga Drain + Regenerator in addition to STAB Clear Smog to stop setup sweepers in their tracks. Combined with great typing, ability to absorb opposing Toxic Spikes, and solid stats, and even some other offensive movepool options? Don't sleep on Amoonguss.

Honorable Mentions

:clodsire: Clodsire
:ursaluna: Ursaluna
:moltres: Moltres
:cresselia: Cresselia

:haxorus: Haxorus
:klawf: Klawf

:zarude dada: Zarude
:wigglytuff: Wigglytuff

:cyclizar: Cyclizar
:kricketune: Kricketune
:iron jugulis: Iron Jugulis
:oricorio sensu: Oricorio-Sensu
:milotic: Milotic

:muk alola: Muk-Alola
:florges: Florges

:slowking galar: Slowking-Galar
:shiftry: Shiftry
:typhlosion hisui: Typhlosion-Hisui
:wo chien: Wo-Chien
:jirachi: Jirachi
:avalugg hisui: Avalugg-Hisui
:inteleon: Inteleon

:mightyena: Mightyena
:toedscruel: Toedscruel
:pincurchin: Pincurchin

:empoleon: Empoleon
:mamoswine: Mamoswine
:zoroark hisui: Zoroark-Hisui
:drifblim: Drifblim
:pyroar: Pyroar
:orthworm: Orthworm

:iron leaves: Iron Leaves
:conkeldurr: Conkeldurr
:azelf: Azelf

:farigiraf: Farigiraf
:spidops: Spidops
:pelipper: Pelipper

:mabosstiff: Mabosstiff
:rabsca: Rabsca
:iron treads: Iron Treads

See you all in OU DLC-2!

Krickecrop.jpg

Last edited:

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
I just got a crit with my hawlucha's sky attack against a fully bulked up great tusk (I stupidly tried to use my curse hoodra against it) and I have never had that much endorphins ever. It was going to sweep my team and I was fucked. I then reversed swept his team with hawlucha.
Good johb, my son. Now, focus. What does that have to do with anything? Great Tusk is still going into DLC 2 the Hazard Removal God.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Very excited to see everyone's top 10! And thanks to TPP for hosting this thread as always.

For those interested on some closing thoughts, teams, and experiences from DLC1, I chronicled my experience in one of the biggest SV OU tournaments over the last few months here. This includes teams with imports, creative sets with explanations, and plenty more.

Hopefully DLC2 will be even more fun!

You betta watch out,
You betta not cry,
You betta not pout I'm telling you why,
DLC 2 is bringing, brokens,
DLC's unbanning, Ubers!

They wake you when you're sleeping,
To post on this forum,
Applin's evo is the only thing,
That makes you stay sane!
Hey!

You betta watch out,
You betta not cry,
You betta not pout I'm telling you why,
DLC 2 is bringing, brokens,
DLC's unbanning, Ubers!
DLC 2 is unbanning, Ubersssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Last edited:
Post Gliscor Top 10:
1. :Gholdengo:
Just a reliable game-to-game performer that fulfills a variety of functions, from blocking status, breaking through bulkier cores, blocking trick, packing a good deal of combined offensive / defensive utility, etc. Blocking Defog is nice on H-Stack structures but its packing tons of other utilities for most team compositions thanks to its great typing and bulk. Been enjoying running multiple Tera types on it too aside from the usual Tera Fairy / Flying. Tera Water is a new favorite of mine, goobing Heatran and Cinderace and having utility vs a few other threats. I see Tera Dragon being potent as well. Thanks to Recover, I'd say this mon is a top 3 Tera user alongside Garg and Gambit, and imo it has Gambit beat by a decent margin. Boldengo just feels solid as ever with the boatload of defensive utility it provides. Never been a fan of Air Balloon sets, but those have more utility in certain MUs to block Tusk's spin. Specs is fun, but struggles quite a bit vs offense I find.

2. :Zapdos:
Cheapdos is just way too reliable at spreading paralysis and being extremely annoying. Turns the game into coinflips based on what it hits with Hurricane, what it paralyzes, what turns the opponent gets paralyzed etc. I'm ngl, I have won a shitton of games just because the opponent got paralyzed at a crucial turn, bailing me out for making shitty plays. This mon pairs extremely well with Ting-Lu because it punishes Tusk for clicking Rapid Spin. However, relying on coinflips with this mon tends to build a lot of bad habits since it bails you out super hard for playing bad. A mon that takes still out of the game.

3: :Ogerpon-Wellspring:
Ogerpon is flawed in some regards, having only ok bulk and a large vulnerability to hazards. Nonetheless, her wide movepool just gives her too many options to deal with any problems that come her way. As an offensive threat, she is extremely overwhelming to deal with in the builder, as most defensive Dragons / Grass-types are rather flawed and she is quite strong and fast. Powerful reliable STABs in Ivy Cudgel and Power Whip / Horn Leech, as well as good coverage in Zen Headbutt, and Knock Off. Her utility is off the chart too. Fast Encore is crucial value in today's metagame to keep various sweepers in check, and she's got quite a few other utilities such as setting hazards with spikes, Item removal with Knock Off, and pivoting with U-Turn. Her abilities to force early Teras is a very useful trait in today's metagame as well. I want to call Ogerpon the Baxcalibur of the DLC1 metagame, in the sense she is quite an overwhelming threat that very likely would have been a suspect candidate if the metagame continued. Nonetheless, I find that she a calibur below Bax and her presence arguably fixes more issues than it creates thanks to her various utilities.

4. :Ting-Lu:
Ting-Lu is just too good and reliable at setting up hazards, phazing, and wearing down opponents with Ruination . IMO it is a clear step below Gliscor in some regards such as longevity. However, its Raw Bulk is just so good, that it will always provide value even at sub-50%. Its entry hazards are a defining part of the metagame. I find it far better than Samurott-H at setting up hazards, particularly as its moves don't miss and the SR + Spikes combo that Ting-Lu uses does 25%, which is far better than 2 layers of Spikes in terms of damage. One underrated benefit of Ting-Lu is that it is a cheese killer due to its immunity to Stored Power + Whirlwind.

5. :Zamazenta:
Boots Zamazenta is the best form of Speed control in the metagame imo. With its good speed and Attack, it will have little issue cooking most HO structures. Its coverage between CC / Stone Edge / Crunch / Heavy Slam covers most holes, and has very little counterplay I'd argue. ID + BP sets are also annoying, but I find those sets to thud somewhat easily vs the likes of a well positioned Corv or Garganacl.

6. :Dragapult:
Dragapult is fantastic, as it mixes the spinblocking utilities of Ghold and strong speed control utilities of Zamazenta to create something truly unique. Not as powerful as either of the two aforementioned options, but its utility with a fast Wisp or T-Wave early game and a strong Hex lategame are quite reliable. Specs is a bit hazard weak, but there are many, more passive structures that it can easily 6-0 due to its high speed and power. I typically pick either it or Zama as Speed control on my teams.

7 :Great Tusk:
Even post Gliscor, I feel that Great Tusk isn't the auto-include I want it to be on most teams. This mostly boils down to its defensive synergy with other staples being somewhat poor. Overlapping weaknesses with Dragapult, Ting-Lu, Moltres, Garg, etc. makes it very difficult to include Tusk on a team without having Valiant / Ogerpon / Manaphy issues. Nonetheless, Tusk itself is still quite versatile with a good bit of set variety, and compresses several notable utilities like Knock Off and Rapid spin that every team once. Roar is an option I've seen more teams use, which is cool

8 :Kingambit:
I think Gambit's utilitiy has gone down over time, with more teams being prepared for it and such. Bulky Gambit is still a nice inclusion on most balance teams, providing a safety net vs Ghold and Pult, but those two mons can easily tech options to put gambit in a bind. Ogerpon's presence also means that preserving your Tera for Gambit is a fair deal more difficult now than it was previously. Most Pokemon are teching multiple options for Gambit specifically, such as Low Kick on Weavile / Meow / Ogerpon-Cornerstone, Wisp on Pult, Trick on Dengo, Encore on Ogerpon-W etc on top of having a threat like Tusk or Zamazenta that checks Gambit well. Gambit no longer feels like the unstoppable force it was in earlier metagames.

9 :Iron Valiant:
Strong ass offensive threat with a great deal of verstaility. Can Run Booster CM, Booster SD, HDB, and choice specs all effectively thanks to its wide movepool. One of my favs was Tera Electric CM which lets it setup on Zapdos. IMO Valiant is not an overpowered Pokemon, but is quite strong nonetheless and a good addition to most teams, particularly as they fold to its Fairy STAB.

10 :Garganacl:
Garg has gotten drastically better with Gliscor banned. Teams have very little to stop its Salt Cure antics and Curse sets are a fair deal stronger now that they can more freely run Leftovers without getting worn down. Tera Water Garganacl is still probably the Top Tera user imo because of how well it compresses defensive utility with constant pressure from Salt Cure. Tera Electric can't be bad either with Zapdos running around. Overall, a consistent performer in a post-Gliscor metagame.

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
Now that I've noticed, do y'all think Gliscor will be enough to counter Zapdos' presence? It can do Gliscor things to Zapdos like wall it with Ground Type (no Static), chip it with Stealth Rock (bar HDB), and Toxic it to make its recovery option (Roost) useless.

I really Hope Dnite stays viable with the dlc2 additions and Roaring moon coming back. I just want to DDance once and say "fuck it we speed". Brain empty.
Is the new tera mechanic starting in OU btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)