Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
My guy tho have you tried searching for things with the current state of the Internet. I tried to see if anyone had compiled regular old R/S spawn rates and one of the results I got was an article written in 2023 about how to catch Abra in every game with images blatantly stolen from other sources. Just because someone might have put it on the internet doesn't mean that the search engine that prioritizes clickbait bullshit is ever going to let you find it
This. I swear to god it's impossible to find any information relating to the original DP any more unless you specifically know where you're looking. Everything has been so comprehensively buried by BDSP stuff and so much of it is crappy clickbait.

I know you can reroll abilities in Raids, but can you reroll forms? Like can you reset for a antique sinistea or a different colored florges.

Was something that came to mind as I spent far too long trying to figure out if a sinistea raid i was in could even make out the mark before just catching it and checking that way (it was phony, obviously). Like SRing is a nightmare so I'd rather just run through normal sinistea if i was interested in one, but curious nontheless.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I know you can reroll abilities in Raids, but can you reroll forms? Like can you reset for a antique sinistea or a different colored florges.

Was something that came to mind as I spent far too long trying to figure out if a sinistea raid i was in could even make out the mark before just catching it and checking that way (it was phony, obviously). Like SRing is a nightmare so I'd rather just run through normal sinistea if i was interested in one, but curious nontheless.
While I don't have a definitive answer, there is something I've seen with Raids which leads me believing Forms are locked.

As we all know, before you start a Raid you're given the silhouette of the Pokemon you're about to battle. Now for most Pokemon this would only tell you the Species of the Pokemon, but for some Pokemon it may reveal a bit more: form. Off the top of my head, I've seen Raids for the rare Family of Three Maushold* and for the different forms of Paldean Tauros. If the forms were randomized when you started the Raid, I'd imagine they would have shown the "stock" form's silhouette. But since these specific Pokemon have different menu icons thus those are used when Raids for them occur, I'd imagine it's the same for all Pokemon with forms even if they use the menu icon as the "stock" form. Three more examples:

• Dudunsparce, for whatever reason, only has one menu icon which is of its Two-Segment Form. Because of this, I have not heard of there being a Three-Segment Raid. Since they only show Two-Segment, all are Two-Segment.

• Gender is an interesting topic. It seems like Gender too is decided before the Raid, and it can be male or female regardless of the gender of the silhouette Pokemon. So you can have a Raichu Raid and it'll show the male Raichu silhouette, however the Raichu you face could very well be female. And all instances of that specific Raid will be the same gender, even if you lost and got kicked out, if you tried again it'll be the same gender. Like one story I heard is of a group of players looking for a male Kirlia but no matter how many times they rerolled a Raid it was always female.

• Finally, one which possibly relates more to your question, after much looking I learned that all Squawkabilly Raids are of the Green Form. So, even when a Pokemon has multiple forms which can share the same menu icon, it'll likely be locked to one form still.

So, now comes the situation with Sinistea:

• Regarding your question. No. If the Sinistea you got is a Phony, it'll always be a Phony no matter how many times you reroll.

• Now, whether you can GET an Antique Sinistea in a Raid, the answer is looking like no as well. Which is interesting, because in SwSh you COULD find an Antique Sinistea (and Polteageist) in a Max Raid. However, for Sinistea, there is only one Raid programmed for it and if its a Phony Form. Now Polteageist has two Raids programmed for it, a 4 star and 5 star Raid, but since Antique is meant to be a rare form and I have not read anything about either stars being its Antique form, I think its safe to assume both are also Phony forms.

* BTW, all Family of Three Maushold Raids are 4 stars while all Family of Four Maushold Raids are 6 stars... Methinks a GF employee made a mistake there...

QuentinQuonce

In Emerald, stationary legendaries (weather trio, Regi trio, Ho-oh/Lugia, Deoxys, Mew) will all respawn if you knock them out and re-enter the room they're in. Does the roaming Lati you pick respawn?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
By "respawn" I meant knock it out. Roamers that are fainted in later games will reappear if the Elite Four are beaten again, but wasn't sure if that applied in Emerald.
According to this answer, in Gen IV to respawn a roamer you need to redo what triggered them roaming in the first place. I'd imagine it would probably work the same way in Gen III if it was a thing, but unless you can rewatch the news report of the Eon Pokemon being spotted you can't respawn them in any of the Gen III games.

According to Bulbapedia, wild Celebi in GSC have a 2% chance to hold a MiracleBerry. Since the Crystal event involves fighting a wild Celebi, presumably this 2% chance applies to the Crystal event. However, I've been unable to find a source that confirms if this is the case (since it would be possible for the event to be treated in such a way that the held item data is unused). Is anyone able to confirm for me that Celebi in the Crystal event do have any chance of holding MiracleBerry?

According to Bulbapedia, wild Celebi in GSC have a 2% chance to hold a MiracleBerry. Since the Crystal event involves fighting a wild Celebi, presumably this 2% chance applies to the Crystal event. However, I've been unable to find a source that confirms if this is the case (since it would be possible for the event to be treated in such a way that the held item data is unused). Is anyone able to confirm for me that Celebi in the Crystal event do have any chance of holding MiracleBerry?
Short answer: Yes.
1679861627403.png

Long answer: Wild battle hold items are generated in LoadEnemyMon which is where all stats are loaded for all enemy encounters in general and the Celebi spawn is no different from any other wild encounter in this regard. The only special cases handled there are the Snorlax and Ho-Oh (and Lugia despite having no held item) encounters which set the BATTLETYPE_FORCEITEM flag that guarantees they hold their common drops, so Celebi is probably the only static wild encounter that has this random chance of holding an item.

Short answer: Yes.
View attachment 502998
Long answer: Wild battle hold items are generated in LoadEnemyMon which is where all stats are loaded for all enemy encounters in general and the Celebi spawn is no different from any other wild encounter in this regard. The only special cases handled there are the Snorlax and Ho-Oh (and Lugia despite having no held item) encounters which set the BATTLETYPE_FORCEITEM flag that guarantees they hold their common drops, so Celebi is probably the only static wild encounter that has this random chance of holding an item.
Excellent. Thank you!

QuentinQuonce

Y'know, since I posted about the gift Shuckle in GSCHGSS on another thread, I'm curious: when exactly does the guy who gives you Shuckle ask for it back? All the sources I've checked just say an ambiguous "later": is that later as in "48 hours of real-world time later" (doubtful, but GSC does use real-world time for swarms, so it's technically possible) or later as in "after a certain number of steps are taken"? I'd assume it's following a certain milestone in the story, like defeating Silver at a particular location or getting the RisingBadge or stopping Team Rocket at the Radio Tower.

I feel like I should know this, I've played the Johto games enough! Anyone know for sure?

Y'know, since I posted about the gift Shuckle in GSCHGSS on another thread, I'm curious: when exactly does the guy who gives you Shuckle ask for it back? All the sources I've checked just say an ambiguous "later": is that later as in "48 hours of real-world time later" (doubtful, but GSC does use real-world time for swarms, so it's technically possible) or later as in "after a certain number of steps are taken"? I'd assume it's following a certain milestone in the story, like defeating Silver at a particular location or getting the RisingBadge or stopping Team Rocket at the Radio Tower.

I feel like I should know this, I've played the Johto games enough! Anyone know for sure?
I will see about testing it myself this run.

In GSC at least it is the former case where obtaining Shuckie on that day sets a flag that is reset the next day, among other events like the Time Capsule going online, and is checked after you already have Shuckie.
1680018950121.png
1680021102344.png

QuentinQuonce

In GSC at least it is the former case where obtaining Shuckie on that day sets a flag that is reset the next day, among other events like the Time Capsule going online, and is checked after you already have Shuckie.
View attachment 503491View attachment 503497
Holy crap, that was a total guess, I didn't think it actually was based on real-world time. So could you obtain it at 11.59 one day and return it two minutes later? How weird.

Definitely something to test in a later run.

Obscure question: Does anyone have an E region copy of Pokemon Puzzle Challenge from the Virtual Console?

If so, could you check if it's language-locked to English or if it gives you five language options on start-up?

The E region 3DS eShop and Nintendo of Europe's 3DS eShop site both say that the E region Virtual Console version of Pokemon Puzzle Challenge is language-locked to English, despite the original GBC version having five language options. But the official 3DS eShop sites have been wrong about obscure things before (e.g. it claims you can't buy the French versions of Pokemon RBYGSC in Mexico, but you can).

[Pirate site] claims that the E region Virtual Console version of Puzzle Challenge has five language options, but its file could be an injected fake from the original GBC for all I know. It's also been wrong about obscure things before (e.g. it claims Virtual Console Pokemon Green is region-locked to Japan, but you can also legitimately buy it in Taiwan).

Mex

The last ace in a lost hand
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Obscure question: Does anyone have an E region copy of Pokemon Puzzle Challenge from the Virtual Console?

If so, could you check if it's language-locked to English or if it gives you five language options on start-up?

The E region 3DS eShop and Nintendo of Europe's 3DS eShop site both say that the E region Virtual Console version of Pokemon Puzzle Challenge is language-locked to English, despite the original GBC version having five language options. But the official 3DS eShop sites have been wrong about obscure things before (e.g. it claims you can't buy the French versions of Pokemon RBYGSC in Mexico, but you can).
I have the European eShop version, can confirm it allows for language selection on startup, between English, French, Italian, Spanish and German.

Does anyone know what triggers team changes on rematches in RSE? Is it literally just "second time you fight them they have higher level" regardless of your levels?

Does anyone know what triggers team changes on rematches in RSE? Is it literally just "second time you fight them they have higher level" regardless of your levels?
My understanding is the rematch teams go in a specific order and you can't "skip ahead". So you have to fight Roxanne like 4 times or whatever going through her slowly evolving and leveling up team before you get to the final version.

QuentinQuonce

IIRC what specifically triggers the changes is badge progression - that's definitely the case in ORAS but I'm not sure if the system is exactly the same in RSE. I think I remember reading that you need the Balance Badge to make trainers start requesting rematches at all, but not sure where; Bulbapedia is surprisingly vague about it.

EDIT: Yep. From Reddit:

The game makes normal trainers available to rematch with the following process:

1. Check if the player has at least five gym badges.
  2. Check if the player has walked at least 255 steps since the last rematch attempt.
  3. Check if the player is on a route with trainers that are registered in their PokeNav.
  4. Roll a random number for each rematchable trainer on the route with a 31% chance of making them available.
(relevant methods in the code are UpdateRandomTrainerRematches and IncrementRematchStepCounter)

In practice this means that you can farm trainer rematches by taking 255 steps on an adjacent route then entering a route with trainers. An example could be taking 255 steps in Maulville then going to any of the routes that connect to it
From what I've seen it also appears that, unlike in ORAS where the final rematch teams require entering the Hall of Fame to unlock, in RSE you can get the final rematch teams without defeating the Elite Four.

Last edited:
Pretty much.

From pokeemerald:
The game loads the rematch battle data based on the current rematch ID...
C:
    case TRAINER_BATTLE_REMATCH:
        TrainerBattleLoadArgs(sOrdinaryBattleParams, data);
        SetMapVarsToTrainer();
        gTrainerBattleOpponent_A = GetRematchTrainerId(gTrainerBattleOpponent_A);
        return EventScript_TryDoRematchBattle;
which basically involves checking if each previous rematch has already been defeated using gRematchTable to look up the IDs of the corresponding battles and their defeat flags.
C:
static u16 GetRematchTrainerIdFromTable(const struct RematchTrainer *table, u16 firstBattleTrainerId)
{
    const struct RematchTrainer *trainerEntry;
    s32 i;
    s32 tableId = FirstBattleTrainerIdToRematchTableId(table, firstBattleTrainerId);

if (tableId == -1)
        return FALSE;

trainerEntry = &table[tableId];
    for (i = 1; i < REMATCHES_COUNT; i++)
    {
        if (trainerEntry->trainerIds[i] == 0) // previous entry was this trainer's last one
            return trainerEntry->trainerIds[i - 1];
        if (!HasTrainerBeenFought(trainerEntry->trainerIds[i])) // check if defeat flag is not set
            return trainerEntry->trainerIds[i];
    }

return trainerEntry->trainerIds[REMATCHES_COUNT - 1]; // already beaten at max stage
}
The Trainer's Eye/pokeruby equivalent is basically the same but with less documentation.

Attempt 3: Kingambit, Gyarados (flying tera! used hurricane a bunch, confusion was a good thing to have happen too) and ... a CPU Corviknight.

This didn't work tooo badly but no one was making any real progress. Gyarados is a good one ot keep in mind though.

Frustratingly I think i might have to swap in Life Dew and just stick to support and the occasional rock blast for chip If I want to do this early. People are still feeling it out, but I think Shell Smash Cloyster might only really be viable if EVERYONE is a cloyster.

Incidentally all Samurott ever does against Cloyster is Megahorn. I never saw it use Swords Dance against me, though it was definitely using it against the others (& the occasional Bulldoze, but it stops after it misses)
Attempt 4: Koraidon, Azumarill, Iron Hands

I cannot

BELIEVE

THIS WAS THE ONE THAT WON

Rollout Azu is no joke, for real.

Full support Cloyster was th answer. Just spam Chilling Water, occasionally alternating with life Dew. Maybe sneak in an Iron Defense Even with 2 bozos doing Belly Drum Strategies on a boss that wipes buffs, it just worked. Liberal usage of cheers from the others also probably helped.

I caught Samurott in a Beast Ball.
Wrong thread?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)