Resource SV OU Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
hosted by Milo

art coming soon

A strong core is one of the single most valuable things to form when creating a new team. Cores are typically made up of a group of Pokémon that, when used together, work excellently toward accomplishing a specific goal, and any good player uses them, intentionally or not. The majority of cores have varying characteristics that allow them to triumph in different areas, and depending on your team, cores can be built to succeed offensively or defensively. An offensive core is a group of Pokémon that are both focused towards and designed to enable the team to break through most other team styles while being balanced for general play. A defensive core is a group of Pokémon chosen to give a team a solid set of resistances and the ability to switch into many of the common and threatening attacks in the metagame, allowing it to stick around long enough to win the match. Overall, cores function as a fantastic base or starting point for a wide range of teams and they are commonly used while teambuilding to achieve a specific goal.

:cinderace: Posting Guidelines
  • Any person can post a core in this thread. The cores are broken down into four categories: offensive cores, balanced cores, defensive cores, and weather cores. When posting your core, please make sure to state which one of these categories your core falls under.
  • Although the way your core works may be obvious to you, this may not be the case for others. As such, when posting a core, please make sure to explain how the core operates and any other details you think are important to include. The explanations don't have to be essays; as long as your post has some substance and conveys the main idea behind the core, it's all good. Here are some things you may like to include when explaining your core:
    • Offensive Core: Should your core be an offensive one, such as Gholdengo + Iron Valiant, you could explain how those two Pokemon work together to break down their similar checks and any other synergistic traits. You could also mention any weaknesses the core has and any partners you believe work well with the core.
      • Here is a good example of what we look for taken from the ORAS iteration.
    • Defensive Core: Should your core be defensive, such as Ting-Lu + Rotom-Wash, you could explain how their abilities allows them to cover problematic Pokemon for one another, or any other synergistic attributes you feel are relevant. You could also mention any weaknesses the core has and any partners you believe work well with the core.
      • Here is a good example of what we look for taken from the ORAS iteration.
  • This goes without saying, but do make sure your post includes the sets your core is using. In addition, please try to include an explanation of any EV spreads deviating from the standard 252 / 252. Replays are also very helpful and highly encouraged when posting cores.
  • Please do not post a core that has more than 3 Pokemon because cores bigger than this can restrict building immensely.
  • Please be respectful of the cores people post in this thread. If someone posts a core that you think is ineffective or just plain bad, there is no need to jump at their throats. With that said, constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged - simply be nice!
:gholdengo: Core Selection Process
  • This thread is being run by Milo. I will carefully monitor the cores posted in this thread. When the time comes, I will discuss the posted cores together with the OU mod team and other OU Contributors and decide which ones will be featured in the archive.
  • While the selection of good cores can often be subjective, we will take into consideration a variety of aspects before deciding which cores are featured in the archive. This includes quality of explanation, effectiveness of the core in the current metagame, and so on. We will carefully discuss everything and seek feedback from others to ensure the selected cores are of high quality.
  • When we decide which cores will be featured in the archive, we will try to announce them and provide brief explanations behind why certain cores were selected and why certain cores weren't. This feedback can potentially help give people a clearer picture of what we are looking for.
  • If a core is originally rejected from the archive, we can definitely provide some tips on how a set or spread can be tweaked so the core meets the standards we look for.
  • Just like with anyone else who posts a core, please feel free to bring up any concerns you might have with our posts and/or the cores we select! However, please be sure to be polite, and if it is a simple question/concern, we'd prefer it being directed to us in a PM.
:gholdengo: + :dragapult:
Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Ghost / Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Dragapult @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Dragon / Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force / Tera Blast
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Ghost / Fairy
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
:cinderace: + :greninja:
Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
Tera Type: Fire
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch
- Court Change

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Dark
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
:cinderace: + :great-tusk:
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch / Gunk Shot
- Court Change / High Jump Kick

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fighting
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
:cinderace: + :garchomp:
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Tera Type: Fire / Dragon
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot / Sucker Punch
- Court Change / High Jump Kick
:kingambit: + :greninja:
Greninja @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Dark
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
:iron-valiant: + :rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy / Electric
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
:Hatterene: + :Great-Tusk:
Hatterene @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Nuzzle/Mystical Fire

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock/Body Press
:ting-lu: + :rotom-wash:
Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Spikes / Ruination
- Whirlwind

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Water / Electric
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- Protect
:skeledirge: + :garganacl:
Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Torch Song
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Slack Off

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Curse / Iron Defence
- Body Press
:great-tusk: + :ting-lu:
Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Earthquake
- Ruination

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
:Rotom-wash: + :amoonguss:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Thunder Wave / Will-O-Wisp

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog

Last edited:
Offensive Web Core
(NOTE: I know, this post was originally a Spidops + Gholdengo Core, but I found that Spidops isn't really good at anything else other than setting webs and spikes, and it dies easily and doesn't really switch in much else during the course of a game, except for maybe death fodder for a switch in. The new candidate that I have now is Masquerain. I'll explain more about how it's more useful than Spidops below.)

(NOTE x2: Cinderace has recently been added into the pool of broken mons in the metagame, and along with it comes, you guessed it, freakin horrific Court Change. I'm in shambles. Masquerain doesn't learn Taunt. Only thing I can think of is Rapid Spin / Mortal Spin, which are only temporary until Cinderace comes back out, or use Heavy-Duty Boots on literally everything. Either way, Cinderace is very annoying. Good luck teambuilding, cheers.)
masquerain.gif
gholdengo.png
One of my absolute favorite cores from this gen is Masquerain + Gholdengo hazard control. This core, if it can be utilized properly, basically guarantees you have speed control for the entirety of the game.

masquerain.gif
Masquerain has been a pretty highly overlooked mon ever since its release in Generation 3. Its problem was that there were just so many other better options in whatever niche it had, whether that be an Intimidate abuser, a Sticky Web setter, or any other real niche it could have had in the meta it was overshadowed. This gen however, it's starting to show some merit, which I personally am really happy about, this is one of my favorites overall. Basically, Intimidate nerfs some pretty prominent physical attackers this gen, with the likes of Gallade NEO (Iron Valiant, as the uncultured call it), Great Tusk, Dragonite, Dragapult, and Annihilape. Of course there are others, but these are the main threats I see Masquerain go well up against. It's a lot faster than Spidops, my previous candidate for this list. It can run a fast U-Turn or even provide priority with Aqua Jet. It also learns Haze, which is GREAT this gen, considering Dondozo's prevalence, along with Dragon Dance Dragonite, Swords Dance Gallade NEO, Nasty Plot Gholdengo, you name it. Plus it can Sticky Web a lot more reliably into more mons, considering it Intimidates all physical attackers on switch in. This is almost strictly positive, except for Defiant Annihilape and Kingambit, which are the only real problems Masquerain has. The only real counter to Masquerain being a sticky web lead is hazard removal, which as most of us are aware, is where Gholdengo comes in.
gholdengo.png
Gholdengo is an offensive staple in this gen and there's almost no reason not to use it, no matter which team you decide to run. It has great offensive typing, an insane Ability, and a wide movepool of strong moves. In this case, Gholdengo makes sense as a Defog blocker. Good as Gold blocks Defog from working, and its typing blocks Rapid Spin and Mortal Spin. It also learns a variety of moves that can dispatch potential hazard removal. Dazzling Gleam works on Cyclizar and it holds an Air Balloon so that it can switch in on Great Tusk and Iron Treads safely. Thunderbolt covers for Corviknight and Quaquaval pretty well, too. You could also run Power Gem for Torkoal. Otherwise, Make It Rain works on Glimmora, and it and Shadow Ball tend to hit most of the meta for at least neutral damage.

Orthoworm is my favorite follow up with these two. Steel is an amazing defensiev type, and it's ability lets it heal from ground, and it can switch into Great Tusk, which Gholdengo has a pretty hard time doing. It learns both Stealth Rock and Spikes to add more onto the hazard stack, and can also Shed Tail a bit more effectively than Cyclizar can. I tend to use Rest + Chesto Berry to give it some survivability.

Good luck with the teambuilding, hope I could help! <3

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon / Life Orb
Tera Type: Steel / Ghost / Flying
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain / Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam

Gholdengo is insane, you can run any of the above moves as well as: Power Gem, Focus Blast, Psyshock / Psychic, Tera Blast (if your Tera type is Flying, which I use to become immune to Ground), as well as many cool status moves like Trick, Nasty Plot, Recover, Substitute, or Thunder Wave. Gholdengo is insanely flexible, so use its moveset to cover the weaknesses for the rest of the team.

Masquerain @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Haze / Stun Spore / Tailwind / Foul Play / Whirlwind
- U-turn
- Aqua Jet

All these status moves are very good, but Foul Play is the only one I'm only really giving as a theoretical option, since Masquerain's Intimidate will weaken the power of this move dramatically, since its damage is based on the opponent's Attack stat. Tera Ghost is used to call out spinners that try to switch in and outspeed Masquerain, rendering their Rapid Spin useless.

Masquerain @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Sticky Web
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Hydro Pump

This set is a much more offensive threat, if opponents dare underestimate Masquerain. This one fits better on hyper offensive teams that can't fit the more supportive moves that Masquerain can use.

Last edited:

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
:SV/Gholdengo: + :SV/Glimmora:

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon / Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Tera Type: Steel / Ghost / Fighting
Timid Nature
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Recover / Focus Blast / Trick

Glimmora @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Mortal Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes / Earth Power
- Memento

Gholdengo and Glimmora are practically made for each other. They form a very powerful offensive core through stacking entry hazards and simply rejecting any form of removal. I've used this core plenty of times on offense and hyper offense structures due to the sheer pressure it puts on the opponent. Gholdengo's moveset is quite malleable and can be changed according to your team's needs, such as a mild Ground-type immunity with Air Balloon, or temporary speed control with Choice Scarf. While Gholdengo is predictable due to it obviously having limited possible movesets, it is still difficult to scout. Make It Rain and Shadow Ball are must-haves (I'm not a fan of Thunder Wave + Hex) on Gholdengo due to their consistency and reliable base power. While Nasty Plot may not seem mandatory, especially when coverage like Focus Blast exists, I believe just having that option at all times allows for incredibly punishing Special Attack boosts when your opponent misreads. Recover and Focus Blast are interchangeable, I don't really have a preference but if you're using a Choice Scarf or Choice Specs, Trick is required. Glimmora is the typical suicide lead but much better. Toxic Debris in conjunction with Spikes and Stealth Rock is phenomenal and just illuminates the synergy Gholdengo and Glimmora are capable of. Mortal Spin allows Glimmora to keep the entry hazards one sided in most cases and pressures Pokémon quite well with the poison. Glimmora wouldn't be a suicide lead if it didn't have Memento, an incredible way to enable your offensive threats and start-up setup opportunities. Earth Power is optional for opposing Glimmora and Steel-types that are immune to Mortal Spin, however, having maximum entry hazard stack is incredibly satisfying.

Last edited:

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
:Dondozo: + :Sylveon:

Dondozo @ Rocky Helmet
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Body Press
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Tera Type: Steel/Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball/Tera Blast

While not intuitive at first, this defensive combo is pretty good has work a lot for me lately and its one of my favorites

first, :Dondozo: is the new mon of the gen, he can take on most physical attackers, despite being quad weak to fairy, Sylveon cannot counter Roaring Moon because she just dies to anything, meanwhile Dondozo can take a +2 Crunch +Booster energy/life orb/band or both and eliminate him with rocky helmet + body press, the main isue with Don is that he lacks a better recovery move, so Rest and sleep talk can potentially luck you into losing matchups

This is where :Sylveon: comes in, with wish, can heal back donzo and make him use less rests, Sylveon can check most of the thing don cant touch, the best example being Iron Valiant, he dies even at +1, can scout sets with protect, chip subs with Hyper voice and has a extra move to help him

as for defensive tera, Both can tera in order to beat :Breloom: the best counter of the duo, Don can become electric and squash him with body press, sylveon can tera fire blast to kill breloom, and bait gholdengo, if you dont want to use tera, shadow ball does a good amount on gholdengo while beats skeleridge 1v1

This is a somewhat popular core in offense that you see in teams such as this or this. Banded Dragon Darts and Specs/Scarf Moonblast are some of the most easy to spam attacks in the tier atm. Iron Moth, Volcarona, Amoonguss, Clodsire and Gholdengo try to pivot around Iron Valient, yet they are Dragapult victims. Iron Valiant takes on Kingambit, Iron Treads and Great Tusk that try to switch into Physical Pult. Together they are both able to overwhelm Ting-Lu, Gholdengo, Dondozo, Garganacl, Scizor and Skeledirge. They don't offer much defensively since they are a pairing in mostly offensively oriented teams. However the one thing they provide together is a resistance to both of Chi-Yu's stabs.

Defensively they can struggle with Chien-Pao, Roaring Moon, and opposing Iron Valiant and Dragapult. If you don't get the plays right (and specially if you are Tera Dragon on Dragapult) Corviknight can be a bit of an issue; Magnezone support can help with this. In this replay Magnezone gets rid of Corviknight earlier, which allows Pult and Valiant to overwhelm the team (Dondozo, Gholdengo and Ting-Lu) with Dragon Darts and Moonblast.

The type spam archetype is one that has seen much success across generations due to how overwhelming their combined offences can be in overwhelming shared checks, and I am happy to say that this has returned in gen 9 thanks to threats new and old.

:ss/gholdengo: :ss/dragapult:

https://pokepast.es/44083103969e7a1f

Ghost spam was quite definitively one of the stronger displays of this archetype back in gen 8 due to its difficult to resist nature, and this core emulates that in their shared goal to beat one mon in particular: ting-lu.

These mons bring power and speed to the table and with their ghost stab and great secondary stabs this core aims to smash through mons that would otherwise resist it for an endgame dominated by either one of them, as the opponent should get outsped and destroyed by the member of choice. Ghost tera is used to beef up an already absurdly powerful option, though I won't discount the use of tera dragon draco meteor on dragapult or tera steel make it rain on gholdengo, but improving your ability to spam ghost stab is the primary goal. Along with this, you may notice that dragapult is not a speed boosting nature on either set, however dragapult is so fast that it outspeeds 252+ spe meowscarada anyway, and you will not be staying in on chien pao regardless of nature due to the threat of ice shard or sucker punch.

The synergy isn't limited to just spamming ghost-type offence to wear down darks however, as the fact that both mons are incredibly fast means that you can maintain speed control even if you lose it on one of the mons, be it by tricking scarf away to a wall or by sacrificing dragapult, the remaining member can still function as a revenge killer for whatever threat came in.

In terms of teammates, I would recommend something that can set hazards itself to help the effort against the eternal ting-lu, such as :clodsire: or your own :ting-lu: and they both have individual benefits. :clodsire: applies the dangerous toxic spikes and can bait ting-lu to stay in and toxic it, and :ting-lu: can whirlwind the opponent's out, and sets actual spikes so that the enemy is forced to take 25% just for switching in. Both have the benefit of checking opposing scarf gholdengo and chi-yu.
If you decide to use specs dragapult, I would reccomend something to break clodsire, such as :garchomp:, :meowscarada:, or :chien-pao: as clodsire's ability to actually recover could be annoying, and it's poison typing could be more annoying if you decide on a :clodsire: of your own.
If you don't want to go for the hstack route and decide for a more all out offensive route, then something to break ting-lu, such as a:rotom-wash: or :chien-pao: could be very helpful, worth noting that:rotom-wash: has the added benefit of hitting dondozo hard as well.

Last of all :glimmora:, though a pick that imo doesn't go with the pace this pairing wants to play the game at, you can't deny that it is great at setting up hazards and creating an environment in which they thrive.

Last edited:

Example sets:
Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Ghost/Poison/Steel/Water
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Spikes/Heavy Slam/Ruination
- Whirlwind

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
Tera Type: Fairy/Electric/Steel
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect/Thunder Wave/Thief

This is a pretty good defensive backbone for Bulky Offense teams that can put up hazards, phase (Ting-Lu), status and maintain momentum (Rotom-W). Together they cover a lot of the metagame, but they lack recovery so they cannot be on a team that is too passive. If you have Wish passing on the team, such as :scream-tail:, they can last quite long though.

I like pairing it with :iron-treads: for hazard removal, a steel type (for defensive synergy), and an additional volt switcher to get your threats in. Double status Rotom-W is quite nasty btw as few expect it and it makes it insanely hard to switch into this, while also enabling Hex-users like :skeledirge: and most notably, :dragapult:.

Just a solid core that can do a lot of work with only two slots.

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
+

Hatterene @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Nuzzle/Mystical Fire

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Flying/Ghost/Steel
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

This pair has felt borderline mandatory for me on fatter balance squads (usually 4-mon defensive core supported w/ 2 offense mons). It just gets so much work done on the hazard control front, a notoriously difficult feat in Gen 9. Often best paired with their own hazard setters or offensive threats that invite common hazard setters for Hatt to do the switch 'mindgame' with.
Defensively, the pair covers a large portion of the physically offensive threats in the meta, while offering chip/KOs in return. They also punch high above their weight in utility when running Nuzzle/Knock Off respectively. Crippling switchins like Gholdengo and Knocking Off boots goes a long way toward securing KOs and winning games. Essentially, they offer switch-ins to most of the common physically offensive mons and force them out without creating dead turns due to their excellent utility moves and Hatterene's ability to break/clean up teams.

:Skeledirge: + :Garganacl:
Tera Type: Fairy/Poison/Normal/Water
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 52 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Torch Song
- Slack Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Water/Fairy/Steel
Careful Nature
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Curse
- Body Press

These two form a potent bulky offensive core with two of the ultimate progress-forcing moves: Torch Song and Salt Cure.

:skeledirge: - With a combination of great stats, reliable recovery, and Unaware, Skeledirge has already been recognized for its defensive profile. Ghost/Fire isn't the strongest defensively on paper, but, in practice, Dirge blanks tons of meta threats - completely shutting down Valiant, Dnite, Iron Moth, Scizor, Volc, Breloom, and more. The Unaware + Wisp + Slack Off combo shuts down waaaay more than it should - I've sat on and 1v1'd Kingambit, Roaring Moon, Great Tusk, Chomp - the list goes on. Combine that with the +1 boost of every Torch Song, and you completely shift momentum against opponents who set up prematurely. Dirge is hard to take down, and giving it more than one free Torch boost opens you up to a deadly snowball.

:garganacl: - This is a godless mon. Like Dirge, Garganacl has great stats, a phenomenal ability in Purifying Salt, and arguably the most braindead move in mons history - mfing Salt Cure. With no immunities, 24 PP, and perennial residual damage, Salt Cure forces damage on literally every mon in the game, chunking everything and annoying your opponent to high heck. The fact that Garg's ability prevents any status means you can't get residually chipped in return, prolonging your life and giving you more opportunities to click Salt Cure.

Dirge, while strong defensively, has trouble with mons like Chi-Yu, Ceruledge, Pult, and other Dirges and Gargs. While not having a perfect answer for Chi and Chien (because wtf does), Garg complements Dirge nicely, switching into Shadow Balls, Dark Pulses, Torch Songs, and more, without too much of a headache. In return, Dirge eats Grass, Fighting, and Steel moves for days. The two share a Ground and Water weakness, so mons with answers to those, Grass or otherwise, are appreciated.

Due to their strong defensive nature, Dirge + Garg's ability to force offensive progress is undersold, but incredibly effective. If you want to guarantee something takes damage, no matter who it is, these two are a great way to do it.

Ting-Lu + Amoonguss

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fairy / Water / Steel / Poison / Ghost / etc.
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Spikes / Stealth Rock
- Protect / Ruination
- Whirlwind

Amoonguss @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Rocky Helmet
Tera Type: Dragon / Steel / Water / etc.
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain / Grass Knot
- Sludge Bomb / Foul Play
- Clear Smog
- Spore

This is a very synergistic defensive core that a lot of balance teams have begun to utilize. Ting-Lu checks a lot of the metagame right now, including scary Pokemon like Gholdengo and Chi-Yu that Amoonguss often invites in. Amoonguss, conversely, helps out Ting-Lu by checking offensive Waters (think Azumarill, Quaquaval), Grasses (Meowscarada, Breloom), and Iron Valiant (watch out for Psychic/Psyshock!).

The synergy goes beyond simple typing and matchup spread, though. Amoonguss is the kind of Pokemon that likes to pivot in and out a lot, forcing a lot of switches — thanks to Regenerator + Heavy-Duty Boots, it does this nearly for free in a lot of situations, while forcing opponent switches a lot thanks to the threat of Spore (or as a niche option, you can even consider Stun Spore). This means that a lot of switches will be happening, but Amoonguss benefits from them and is immune to hazards, while Ting-Lu's hazards should wear down the opponents over time. Conversely, Ting-Lu's Whirlwind can create opportunities for a weakened Amoonguss to come in for free and get some Regenerators off by bringing in passive Pokemon. And just as a general rule, Ting-Lu tends to get worn down as games go by, so pairing it with a Pokemon that doesn't get worn down as easily thanks to Regen + Boots can be a great way to artifically extend your defensive core's durability while the rest of your team makes progress with strong wallbreakers and/or passive damage. Rocky Helmet is an alternate option on Amoonguss for teams that have solid hazard control already; as Ting-Lu is worn down over a match, Helmet chip can help a lot in making sure your opponent is worn down faster than you are.

For a somewhat passive defensive core, this duo is remarkably difficult to set up on, thanks to the combination of Whirlwind and Clear Smog (the latter patches up the "last-mon-Dragonite"-type scenarios that Whirlwind can get blindsided by) as well as Amoonguss' status. It's fantastic at making progress and pairs well with other things that do the same, like Wisp users, Garganacl's Salt Cure, or Toxic Spikes. Of course Gholdengo is also a great support for any hazard user right now and can help the core break opposing Garganacls, which are potentially problematic if you can't pivot around them with Amoonguss. This core does struggle with Pokemon like Volcarona and CB Dragapult; Tera Dragon on Amoonguss can patch up the former weakness somewhat (thanks Clear Smog!), while a Pokemon like Garganacl helps with the latter. Taunt Annihilape is a big threat as well, so make sure you pack an answer to that.

One very noteworthy interaction is that Amoonguss can absorb Toxic Spikes by virtue of its Poison typing. Ting-Lu despises TSpikes, as they negate or overpower its Leftovers (its only source of recovery), so this is very welcome.

This is a replay from Round 8 of No Johns demonstrating the core on a balance team. There's a lot to analyze about this game, but note how, despite sensei axew having multiple Pokemon that could exploit Ting-Lu (Dondozo, Breloom, and to a lesser extent their own Ting-Lu), a fruitshop owner was actually able to take advantage of these switchins and use them to keep Amoonguss healed up. The defensive core only collapsed around turn 45 (very impressive considering the opposing team had powerful breakers in Wisp Dragapult and Chi-Yu), at which point sensei axew's team was suitably softened up by Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes, and random chip from weak moves and Rocky Helmet for Iron Moth + Extremespeed Dragonite to clean.

DONDOZO+TING LU+CLODSIRE
Example set (you can alter them):

Dondozo @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Liquidation

Clodsire @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Haze

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Sand Tomb
- Ruination
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

While this core is ”heavy", it has near perfect defensive synergy. Dondozo and Clodsire both have unaware. Dondozo walls the physical threats and Clod walls many special threats. However, a certain fish breaks these two. This is where Ting-Lu comes in. Ting-Lu can check or counter Chi-Yu, while the rest of the 2 wall almost everything else.

One thing you may like about this core is that you can customise all 3 to not be passive. Ting-Lu could threaten switch-ins with Ruination, and Clod and Dozo both have curse, allowing them to threaten a sweep. Both Clod and Ting-Lu can spam hazards with the free turns they get.

However, this core is strictly stall. Due to its size, you cannot fit this into a balance them, only stall, as none of the 3 can remove hazards. However, in stall, you can add whatever you want. Want a cool triple unaware them, spread burns and ALSO threaten a sweep? Pick skeledrige. Want ultra hazard control? Great Tusk gotcha. Want to IDBP an unsuspecting physical mon? Pick Nacl.

Grimmsnarl + Cyclizar

1672000610617.png

Grimmsnarl @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt/Spirit Break
- Parting Shot

1672000695237.png

Cyclizar @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Shed Tail
- Taunt

This is one of the most simple, effective, and popular cores in the current metagame. The way it works is that Grimmsnarl is able to consistently set up screens thanks to prankster, and it can pivot with parting shot into cyclizar. Cyclizar will then use shed tail to switch to a set up sweeper, who now is backed up by both a substitute and screens. This is a ridiculously powerful core, because there are so many incredible new pokemon to abuse it, such as espathra and anihilape, and because a bunch of old pokemon, like dragonite, were buffed because of tera. This pair is commonly seen with hatterene as well; though it is not mandatory, it provides excellent hazard control, and it can also be a potent stored power sweeper, as well. The best part about this core, in my opinion, is the versatility, because basically slapping any 4 set up sweepers can give you a competent team. For example, look at this team https://pokepast.es/115ba22ec5fd3197 ; It uses set up sweepers like SD iron hands and quiver dance volcarona, neither of wihich are very popular, to great success. The ease of use, power, and potential of this core truly make it one of the best in the current metagame.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
2519DAB3-564A-41EB-B216-D55EF617B1C2.png

Meowscarada @ Choice Scarf
Tera Type: Grass
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- U-turn

2934513F-7C41-4C78-BF71-FAFAA2C8D002.png

Gholdengo @ Choice Specs
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fighting
Timid Nature
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Another hazard stacking core. Meow is good at forcing switch ins due to its speed tier and threatens KOs on Dozo, Garg, Pult, etc. With that in mind it also has chances of getting off a layer of spikes or momentum. Notable switch-ins include Amoonguss and Corv, both of which Ghold exploits to the fullest while blocking Defog from the latter. Specs Ghold is an unprecedented wallbreaker that takes advantage of those thinking its the weaker Scarf set, only to eat a hard MiR or Focus Miss. This core does an effective job at breaking down teams and slowly stack up hazard dmg.

gholdengo.png :ting-lu: + :rotom-wash:

The pairing of Gholdengo, Ting-Lu, and Rotom-Wash is incredibly strong, Gholdengo being a staple on most teams with it's insane ability to not only deny status, but defog, trick, and whirlwind. It's overall type combination with it's stat distribution is a potent mix, with a solid move pool. The scarf set is by far the preferred set.

As for Rotom-W, while the spdef variation + protect has shown quite a bit of success, I actually prefer running scarf in this metagame. It allows me to catch Dragapult's off guard with twave while most click uturn due to the pairing of Ting-Lu. Rotom-W also punishes both Tusk, and Glimmora prior to tera type change, forcing sash to break and securing another hydro chip on a switchin. Most teams from my experience tend to struggle often against Rotom-W, as often enough the spdef pivots on bulky offense/balance team comps are typically limited, such as opposing Ting-Lu, or a forced tera type switch for the hyper offensive teams (volcarona as an example). The stall matchups of course have Dondozo which doesn't appreciate trick/voltswitch, or even Clodsire who also doesn't appreciate trick.

Ting-Lu is definitely the go to defensive mon, as it's often needed for both Chi-Yu, and Dragapult. Having access to both rocks/spikes is an amazing benefit, and with the pairing of Gholdengo, you can deny Mortal Spin from opposing Glimmora. Earthquake is imo always a necessity and whirlwind forces opponents into uncomfortable positions as the hazards increase. Overall, the pairing of these three have greatly aided in my climb on a few accounts, and I'm sure there are others that have tested it out in plenty of games as well.

gholdengo.png :ting-lu: + :rotom-wash:

The pairing of Gholdengo, Ting-Lu, and Rotom-Wash is incredibly strong, Gholdengo being a staple on most teams with it's insane ability to not only deny status, but defog, trick, and whirlwind. It's overall type combination with it's stat distribution is a potent mix, with a solid move pool. The scarf set is by far the preferred set.

As for Rotom-W, while the spdef variation + protect has shown quite a bit of success, I actually prefer running scarf in this metagame. It allows me to catch Dragapult's off guard with twave while most click uturn due to the pairing of Ting-Lu. Rotom-W also punishes both Tusk, and Glimmora prior to tera type change, forcing sash to break and securing another hydro chip on a switchin. Most teams from my experience tend to struggle often against Rotom-W, as often enough the spdef pivots on bulky offense/balance team comps are typically limited, such as opposing Ting-Lu, or a forced tera type switch for the hyper offensive teams (volcarona as an example). The stall matchups of course have Dondozo which doesn't appreciate trick/voltswitch, or even Clodsire who also doesn't appreciate trick.

Ting-Lu is definitely the go to defensive mon, as it's often needed for both Chi-Yu, and Dragapult. Having access to both rocks/spikes is an amazing benefit, and with the pairing of Gholdengo, you can deny Mortal Spin from opposing Glimmora. Earthquake is imo always a necessity and whirlwind forces opponents into uncomfortable positions as the hazards increase. Overall, the pairing of these three have greatly aided in my climb on a few accounts, and I'm sure there are others that have tested it out in plenty of games as well.
What type of core is this

:Great-Tusk: + :Corviknight:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
Careful Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
This core is great. As mentioned by an earlier poster, removing hazards is very important to maximize the potential of threats like Chien Pao and Chi Yu and this core gives you a flexible, multi-pronged options of dealing w/ them depending on the game state. Gholdengo teams can still be annoying however, esp since it creates a lot of guessing games for Great Tusk, but against most other styles, this core will be quite reliable at getting hazards off. Its quite nice to have against opposing Great Tusks, as the assault from both Corv & Tusks will make it difficult for the opponent's Great Tusks to win the hazard war. This pairs very well with a few offensive mons like Chien-Pao, which will be free to rein when SR is removed

Hydreigon + Gholdengo
R.png
OIF.jpg

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Steel / Poison
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power / Flash Cannon

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Tera Type: Fighting / Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain / Recover / Substitute
- Focus Blast / Recover / Substitute

R.png
Hydreigon is quite the hidden gem. Despite its 4x weakness to the fairy typing it has a few noteworthy traits, first it is a ghost resist, a quirk only a handfull of viable pokemon possess and a very valuable one at that, considering some of the most dominant pokemon are ghost types. Hydreigon can switch into Chi-Yu and threaten it out with Draco, although Hydreigon is by no means a counter to Chi-Yu since it lost access to roost. Hydreigon also has to be scared of the uncommon tera fairy tera blast Chi-Yu. Additionally Hydreigon can also switch in to Skeledirge, another pokemon that troubles Gholdengo. Finally Hydreigon has a plethora of other useful resistances every serious team needs such as fire, water, grass and dark.
252 SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 123-145 (37.8 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Chi-Yu: 230-270 (91.6 - 107.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO 252+ SpA Skeledirge Torch Song vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 69-82 (21.2 - 25.2%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Skeledirge: 416-491 (101.2 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

OIF.jpg
Gholdengo is undeniably one of the most influencial pokemon in the metagame right now and its not hard to see why, having one of the best type combinations in the game followed by an amazing ability that makes it the perfect spinblocker while also being graced with an overpowered signature move. Gholdengo can support hydreigon by attempting to switch into Iron Valliant and threaten it with a ohko. Other threats to Hydreigon such as boosted fairy tera Espathra are checked by Gholdengo, and at last the air balloon on Gholdengo is here to check Great Tusk which would otherwise blow through this duo with its powerful stab. A bulkier ev spread can be ran, perhaps running a modest nature to gurantee 1v1 espathra or investing 132 evs with a timid nature to outspeed the next benchmark, adamant Dragonite in exchange sacrificing your ability to speedtie other Gholdengo.
4 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Valiant: 500-590 (173 - 204.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO +1 252+ SpA Tera Fairy Espathra Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gholdengo: 97-115 (25.6 - 30.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO Make It Rain 4 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Tera Fairy Espathra: 336-396 (85.2 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

Physdef Fairy Garganacl + Spdef Toxapex
is an obnoxiously strong defensive core that's being spammed on balance and bulky offence teams right now. For tested examples, this team by ayevon and this team by AndViet both rely on this core. Pex switches into Chi-Yu and Gholdengo which would otherwise threaten Garg, while fairy Garg sits on most physical attackers. Pex holds Black Sludge to punish trick Scarf Gholdengo, but other items such as Leftovers (to avoid holding Black Sludge while Tera'd), Covert Cloak (to beat opposing Garg / avoid nuzzles from Hatterene), or Mental Herb (to deal with taunt bulk up Ape and Ceruledge). The given speed EVs outrun Hatterene. The tera type on Pex is an emergency anti-Espathra button. This core is threatened bulky setup attackers (such as roost Roaring Moon), nasty plot + recover Gholdengo (especially Covert Cloak variants), and certain CM Hatterene sets.

Last edited:

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
We now have a few selected cores as part of the Good Cores thread!
:gholdengo: + :dragapult:
Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Dragapult @ Choice Band
Tera Type: Dragon / Ghost
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force / Tera Blast
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Ghost / Fairy
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flamethrower / Thunder
:Masquerain: + :gholdengo:
Masquerain @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Sticky Web
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Hydro Pump

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Focus Blast
:Hatterene: + :Great-Tusk:
Hatterene @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Nuzzle/Mystical Fire

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Spikes / Ruination
- Whirlwind

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Water / Electric
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- Protect
:skeledirge: + :garganacl:
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Torch Song
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Slack Off

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Curse / Iron Defence
- Body Press

Got some more cores I've seen/used

Cinderace+Meowscarada (Offensive)
+

Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- High Jump Kick / Sucker Punch
- Court Change
- U-turn

Meowscarada @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Play Rough
A strong duo of U-Turn Spammers that provide powerful physical offense and momentum, while also forming 2/3 of an FWG core. They both can rain down powerful STABs in Pyro Ball and Flower Trick, while also carrying potential STAB U-Turns. Court Change on Cinderace is great, and one of its best switch ins is Tusk, who doesn't particularly like taking banded Flower Tricks. Consider adding Slowking or Toxapex to give them a regen pivot switch in, or Rotom-W to add to the VoltTurn Spam, or Dondozo to wall hard. Slowking, in particular, brings back aspects of the old FuturePort combo with Slowbro+Cinderace in the gen 8 Libero Cinderace metagames.

Cinderace+Great Tusk (Offensive/Balanced)
+

Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch
- Court Change

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
This focuses more on hazard control and punishment. Cinderace's Court Change is amazing in such a hazard heavy metagame, sending high amounts of hazards over to your opponent. However, it only can go so far, as all the opponent needs to do is setup hazards again, and you end up with hazards on both sides, rendering Court Change nearly useless. That's where Landorus 2.0 Great Tusk comes in. It's effective at keeping hazards off the field, though the use of Rapid Spin, and threatening Gholdengo. While the example set above is mainly used for an offensive checks, most Rapid Spin variants can help greatly. Knock Off, in particular, is great at removing scarves, which makes a Cinderace clean up far easier.

Pawmot+Kingambit (Not sure... Offensive?)
+

Kingambit @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Kowtow Cleave

Pawmot @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Revival Blessing
- Mach Punch
- Double Shock
- Close Combat / Ice Punch
This set exploits the fact that Supreme Overlord is not based on the current number of fainted mons, but on the number that have been knocked out, making it so that a Pokemon revived by Pawmot can be done without weakening the effect, allowing Supreme Overlord 5 to occur with 2 Pokemon left. Supreme Overlord Kingambit is an incredibly potent lategame Pokemon, using its solid bulk+Attack stat to mop up the late game. However, Pawmot isn't just left as a cleric: It can hold itself in battle. Double Shock is a potent electric move that packs a punch, while it is one of the few Mach Punch users in the game, allowing priority on Chien-Pao. Close Combat Vs Ice Punch depends more on what it wants to get an extra hit in on. Catching Dragonite on a switch in with Ice Punch is useful, but Close Combat hits harder overall.

Got some more cores I've seen/used

Cinderace+Meowscarada (Offensive)
+

Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- High Jump Kick / Sucker Punch
- Court Change
- U-turn

Meowscarada @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Play Rough
A strong duo of U-Turn Spammers that provide powerful physical offense and momentum, while also forming 2/3 of an FWG core. They both can rain down powerful STABs in Pyro Ball and Flower Trick, while also carrying potential STAB U-Turns. Court Change on Cinderace is great, and one of its best switch ins is Tusk, who doesn't particularly like taking banded Flower Tricks. Consider adding Slowking or Toxapex to give them a regen pivot switch in, or Rotom-W to add to the VoltTurn Spam, or Dondozo to wall hard. Slowking, in particular, brings back aspects of the old FuturePort combo with Slowbro+Cinderace in the gen 8 Libero Cinderace metagames.

Cinderace+Great Tusk (Offensive/Balanced)
+

Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch
- Court Change

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
This focuses more on hazard control and punishment. Cinderace's Court Change is amazing in such a hazard heavy metagame, sending high amounts of hazards over to your opponent. However, it only can go so far, as all the opponent needs to do is setup hazards again, and you end up with hazards on both sides, rendering Court Change nearly useless. That's where Landorus 2.0 Great Tusk comes in. It's effective at keeping hazards off the field, though the use of Rapid Spin, and threatening Gholdengo. While the example set above is mainly used for an offensive checks, most Rapid Spin variants can help greatly. Knock Off, in particular, is great at removing scarves, which makes a Cinderace clean up far easier.

Pawmot+Kingambit (Not sure... Offensive?)
+

Kingambit @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Kowtow Cleave

Pawmot @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Revival Blessing
- Mach Punch
- Double Shock
- Close Combat / Ice Punch
This set exploits the fact that Supreme Overlord is not based on the current number of fainted mons, but on the number that have been knocked out, making it so that a Pokemon revived by Pawmot can be done without weakening the effect, allowing Supreme Overlord 5 to occur with 2 Pokemon left. Supreme Overlord Kingambit is an incredibly potent lategame Pokemon, using its solid bulk+Attack stat to mop up the late game. However, Pawmot isn't just left as a cleric: It can hold itself in battle. Double Shock is a potent electric move that packs a punch, while it is one of the few Mach Punch users in the game, allowing priority on Chien-Pao. Close Combat Vs Ice Punch depends more on what it wants to get an extra hit in on. Catching Dragonite on a switch in with Ice Punch is useful, but Close Combat hits harder overall.
the pawmot set seems good but wouldn't leppa berry be better since it allows the use of blessing twice? granted it probably dies unless its on a mon it forces out, maybe a steel type whos name isnt iron treads.

:Corviknight: + :Garchomp: + :Rotom-Wash:

This is a solid Defensive/Bulky Offense core that I've been working with. Tank(ish)chomp and Washtom both partner well individually with Corviknight, but opting for both gives you more space to protect Corv, which can be crucial in maintaining longevity to get/keep hazards off the field. Crucially, the three have zero overlapping weaknesses while offering at least one resist/immunity to nearly everything and covering a variety of roles (clearing hazards, getting hazards up, and scouting choice sets/spreading status). This offers a fantastic starting point for building out the rest of your team, especially with Corv and Washtom both functioning well as pivots.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Dragon (As if you'll ever click this)
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 188 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Brave Bird

Specially defensive Corv takes advantage of telegraphed Gholdengo switch-ins to roost up and pivot out, helping you scout the set early.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet/Covert Cloak
Ability: Rough Skin
Tera Type: Fire / Steel
EVs: 116 HP / 140 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Spikes / Stealth Rock
- Spikes / Stealth Rock / Dragon Tail / Stone Edge / Tera Blast (Pick 2)

140 Atk EVs on Garchomp lets it OHKO uninvested Gholdengo. Tera Fire and Steel both resist Ice, Fairy, Bug, and Steel, helping you flip the tables on Chien Pao, Hatterene, and Iron Valiant switch-ins or counter-leads, giving you a key resist to Make it Rain, and wracking up contact chip against Scizor. Steel is a more robust defensive profile overall, providing an immunity to poison and keeping your resistance to Rocks. Fire, on the other hand, retains the Fire resist, keeping some of your synergy with Corv and not suddenly sacrificing the MU against Cinderace -- or Volc if you opt for Stone Edge. It also offers a bit more offensive utility if you opt for Tera Blast.

Chomp is also a sneaky good Covert Cloak user. Not only do you resist Salt Cure and force Garg to reveal its tera or die, but you also blank lead Glimorra's that may want to give up on rocks in order to poison you with Mortal Spin, and you prevent yourself from getting Icicle Crash flinched if you find yourself needing to Tera to check Chien-Pao.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Protect
- Thunder Wave / Will-o-Wisp

Washtom is Washtom. I've actually preferred maximum SpDef to Def to better absorb fire, water, and weak electric attacks that corv doesn't want to take. It also gives you a little more wiggle room against grass coverage from the Moths. Para and burn are both hugely helpful in this crazy fast, crazy offensive meta.

Hydreigon + Gholdengo
View attachment 479160 View attachment 479161
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Steel / Poison
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power / Flash Cannon

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain / Recover / Substitute
- Focus Blast / Recover / Substitute

View attachment 479189 Hydreigon is quite the hidden gem. Despite its 4x weakness to the fairy typing it has a few noteworthy traits, first it is a ghost resist, a quirk only a handfull of viable pokemon possess and a very valuable one at that, considering some of the most dominant pokemon are ghost types. Hydreigon can switch into Chi-Yu and threaten it out with Draco, although Hydreigon is by no means a counter to Chi-Yu since it lost access to roost. Hydreigon also has to be scared of the uncommon tera fairy tera blast Chi-Yu. Additionally Hydreigon can also switch in to Skeledirge, another pokemon that troubles Gholdengo. Finally Hydreigon has a plethora of other useful resistances every serious team needs such as fire, water, grass and dark.
252 SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 123-145 (37.8 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Chi-Yu: 230-270 (91.6 - 107.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO 252+ SpA Skeledirge Torch Song vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 69-82 (21.2 - 25.2%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Skeledirge: 416-491 (101.2 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

View attachment 479207Gholdengo is undeniably one of the most influencial pokemon in the metagame right now and its not hard to see why, having one of the best type combinations in the game followed by an amazing ability that makes it the perfect spinblocker while also being graced with an overpowered signature move. Gholdengo can support hydreigon by attempting to switch into Iron Valliant and threaten it with a ohko. Other threats to Hydreigon such as boosted fairy tera Espathra are checked by Gholdengo, and at last the air balloon on Gholdengo is here to check Great Tusk which would otherwise blow through this duo with its powerful stab. A bulkier ev spread can be ran, perhaps running a modest nature to gurantee 1v1 espathra or investing 132 evs with a timid nature to outspeed the next benchmark, adamant Dragonite in exchange sacrificing your ability to speedtie other Gholdengo.
4 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Valiant: 500-590 (173 - 204.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO +1 252+ SpA Tera Fairy Espathra Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gholdengo: 97-115 (25.6 - 30.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO Make It Rain 4 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Tera Fairy Espathra: 336-396 (85.2 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
Can you space out the calcs so that they are easier to read? They’re kinda smushed right now

Last edited:
:Skeledirge: + :Garganacl:
Tera Type: Fairy/Poison/Normal/Water
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 52 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Torch Song
- Slack Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Water/Fairy/Steel
Careful Nature
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Curse
- Body Press

These two form a potent bulky offensive core with two of the ultimate progress-forcing moves: Torch Song and Salt Cure.

:skeledirge: - With a combination of great stats, reliable recovery, and Unaware, Skeledirge has already been recognized for its defensive profile. Ghost/Fire isn't the strongest defensively on paper, but, in practice, Dirge blanks tons of meta threats - completely shutting down Valiant, Dnite, Iron Moth, Scizor, Volc, Breloom, and more. The Unaware + Wisp + Slack Off combo shuts down waaaay more than it should - I've sat on and 1v1'd Kingambit, Roaring Moon, Great Tusk, Chomp - the list goes on. Combine that with the +1 boost of every Torch Song, and you completely shift momentum against opponents who set up prematurely. Dirge is hard to take down, and giving it more than one free Torch boost opens you up to a deadly snowball.

:garganacl: - This is a godless mon. Like Dirge, Garganacl has great stats, a phenomenal ability in Purifying Salt, and arguably the most braindead move in mons history - mfing Salt Cure. With no immunities, 24 PP, and perennial residual damage, Salt Cure forces damage on literally every mon in the game, chunking everything and annoying your opponent to high heck. The fact that Garg's ability prevents any status means you can't get residually chipped in return, prolonging your life and giving you more opportunities to click Salt Cure.

Dirge, while strong defensively, has trouble with mons like Chi-Yu, Ceruledge, Pult, and other Dirges and Gargs. While not having a perfect answer for Chi and Chien (because wtf does), Garg complements Dirge nicely, switching into Shadow Balls, Dark Pulses, Torch Songs, and more, without too much of a headache. In return, Dirge eats Grass, Fighting, and Steel moves for days. The two share a Ground and Water weakness, so mons with answers to those, Grass or otherwise, are appreciated.

Due to their strong defensive nature, Dirge + Garg's ability to force offensive progress is undersold, but incredibly effective. If you want to guarantee something takes damage, no matter who it is, these two are a great way to do it.
What is the purpose of the EVs on dirge? I haven’t seen those anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)