OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Because most of the RMTs use Pokemon that previously weren't banned. Genesect, Tornadus-T, Deoxys-D, and Landorus-I are all commonly found on these teams.

This may seem incredibly naive but only just occured to me- why does smogon choose to reject the item clause of the official metagame but retain team preview?
I think a lot of users would rather have the opposite, the mystery and skill of managing and adapting to an unseen team as pre gen v, whilst also adding an extra level of depth to team building instead of slapping lefties and life orb on everything

This may seem incredibly naive but only just occured to me- why does smogon choose to reject the item clause of the official metagame but retain team preview?
I think a lot of users would rather have the opposite, the mystery and skill of managing and adapting to an unseen team as pre gen v, whilst also adding an extra level of depth to team building instead of slapping lefties and life orb on everything
Because we have nothing to do with the official metagame and don't have to take over their clauses, however as far as I know, you can't wifi battle without team preview and we're still trying to simulate the actual game.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Team preview is a forced condition which isn't something we can control. Item clause is something used in Nintendo's official formats but it doesn't really accomplish much in teams of balancing and limits team building. It is possible in wifi battles with other users (not the nintendo singles format) to use any item on any Pokemon but team preview is something that is always given.

edit: spinja'd

Gonna ask this question again since it got lost in the Gravity talk last page: offensive SD Scizor (Swords Dance / Bullet Punch / Acrobatics / Bug Bite or Superpower) or wallbreaker Thundurus-T (Thunder / HP Ice / U-turn / Superpower or Focus Blast) for generic rain team of Specs Politoed / Scarf Keldeo / SubCM Jirachi (Psyshock/Thunder) / SR Garchomp / LO + 3 attacks Latios?

Scizor provides a second way of picking off weakened Pokes and helps against annoying threats like Celebi/Kyurem-B/Jellicent (w/+2 Flying Gem Acrobatics), while Thundurus-T provides a second Electric immunity and better takes advantage of the rain, at the cost of having 3 Pokemon that can be picked off by fast Ice attacks.

Also, to be pro-Team Preview: Honestly, Team Preview adds a little more skill to the game. In Gen IV, leads basically boiled down to "Stealth Rock lead or anti-Stealth Rock lead". Now, you and your opponent can see each others' teams beforehand and start formulating actual strategies from the start of the battle instead of just immediately getting rocks up and blindly firing off "warning shots". It certainly doesn't limit team building or balance in any way.

Out of those 2, I'd say the Scizor is the best fit.

I think being able to tell which pokemon your opponent is likely to have left based on the ones they revealed and preserving pokemon accordingly is most definitely skillful, so I don't neccesarily think team preview adds skill to the game at all.

Obviously when a flood of Pokemon are released Smogon has to place them into the tiers for PS. By what method is this done? Polls? A single tier with everything? Or some other method?

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Tiers are created based on usage. It works like this:

All Pokemon that have enough usage to account for a certain percentage of the standard OU metagame (in 5th-gen it was 3.4% or more) are ranked OU, and the rest are UU or lower. The Pokemon that get X percent usage or more in UU are ranked UU, with the rest in RU or lower. The Pokemon that get at least X percent usage in the RU metagame are ranked RU, and the rest are NU.
The only exceptions to these tiering rules are Ubers (this is just things that get banned from OU) and LC (which starts out as all babbymons, and then shrinks slightly if things get banned).

Because of the way these things work, we probably won't have official tiering for most things until a couple of months after XY support comes to PS.

Looking for a competitive Physical Attacker to cover my Mega evolution in a Gen 6 team. Is Absol a viable replacement to Blazekin(who'll likely remain banned out in OU) or would Aerodactyl be a stronger fit in this scenario? Delphox, Sylveon, Blissey are all I have set, right now. For 3s("Flat rules") I plan to run Delphox Sylveon(or forretress) and Absol(or Aerodactyl).

It's my first attempt at a competitive team since red/blue/green, so I'm a little overwhelmed with the options.

Hey guys, I am doing the battle tower in Soul Silver and just finished beating match 49. I'm trying to win 100 in a row. My current team is: leftovers calm mind Latias, choice band Scizor, and choice specs Latias. I'm wondering if there are any better teams I can use (I have the catch any pokemon ar code) I was thinking that there is 3 other good options (ofc if you can come up with something else tell me): a sandstorm team with garchomp, rain dance suicune + swift swimmer + ?, or maybe stall like skarmbliss plus something else?

Hey guys, I am doing the battle tower in Soul Silver and just finished beating match 49. I'm trying to win 100 in a row. My current team is: leftovers calm mind Latias, choice band Scizor, and choice specs Latias. I'm wondering if there are any better teams I can use (I have the catch any pokemon ar code) I was thinking that there is 3 other good options (ofc if you can come up with something else tell me): a sandstorm team with garchomp, rain dance suicune + swift swimmer + ?, or maybe stall like skarmbliss plus something else?
You probably want to have a look at the subway and tower thread in the Orange Island. There are a lot of elaborate teams in the HGSS section.

Black & White Battle Subway Records (now with gen. 4 records!)

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
I really need a Pokemon for my team, which must be able to do the following things: Must resist EQ, must should have VoltTurn, must be able to tank Rain-boosted Hydro Pumps/Surfs, must be able to shrug of status(mainly burn).

Its role is to switch in on mainly Lando-T and Specially Defensive Rotom-Wash, but being to switch into Starmie would help me alot too, as well as beating Jellicent.

I've tried Celebi, but the massive U-turn weakness gives it a hard time against Lando-T, plus I don't find it packing enough punch offensively either.

I'm at the moment running ChestoRest Rotom-W, which has worked decently, and I'd like to request a special spread for it.

So the questions are:

1. Can you guys recommend a Pokemon that does the mentioned things?
2. Can you guys build me a special Rotom-Wash set?

Thanks for your attention :]

Guys, I dunno if this is the right thread, but it's a simple question. Here in Brazil we don't have the 2ds, that was my first choice, and I have Pokémon y but don't have the videogame system yet. I wanted to get the xl, but the price difference is steep, about 85 dollars, what in Brazilian real is a lot, so I'm really leaning towards buying the regular 3ds. Will I miss anything with it? Is there anything that works only in the xl?

Thanks

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Guys, I dunno if this is the right thread, but it's a simple question. Here in Brazil we don't have the 2ds, that was my first choice, and I have Pokémon y but don't have the videogame system yet. I wanted to get the xl, but the price difference is steep, about 85 dollars, what in Brazilian real is a lot, so I'm really leaning towards buying the regular 3ds. Will I miss anything with it? Is there anything that works only in the xl?

Thanks
I had the same problem when buying my DS system. The way I looked at it is that regardless of what option you choose, you're going to be regretful in one way or another. If you choose to pick the 3DSXL, you're going to regret spending so much more for a slightly bigger screen and "wasting" money. If you go for the regular 3DS, you'll regret not having a bigger screen.

I decided that if I'm going to be regretful regardless, I might as well get the cheaper one, the normal 3DS. I mean, your Pokemon adventure is going to be amazing regardless of how big the screen is that you're playing on. If money is an issue like it was for me, go for the 3DS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)