RU Zweilous

QC: Pearl. / atomicllamas / EonX
GP: fleurdyleurse / frenzyplant

you don't need eyes to do the hustle

Overview
########

Zweilous is one of the few Dragon-types that are viable in RU. Its great typing gives it an immunity to Psychic-type attacks as well as key resistances to Ghost-, Fire-, Electric-, Grass-, and Water-type attacks. This, alongside its solid bulk provided by Eviolite, allows it to effectively take on many top-tier threats, including Delphox, Reuniclus, Sharpedo, Moltres, Meloetta, Magneton, and Doublade. Zweilous's Dark typing and greater bulk lets it stand out from other Dragon-types, such as Druddigon and Dragalge. Hustle also gives Zweilous some nice firepower. However, Hustle's accuracy drop means Zweilous's ability to check certain Pokemon is unreliable, which is a huge letdown. Furthermore, it lacks reliable recovery, forcing it to have to use RestTalk to stay healthy. Its typing leaves it unfortunately weak to the common Fighting-type attacks in the tier, and its reliance on Eviolite for bulk leaves it vulnerable to the common Knock Off. Zweilous also despises Aromatisse, a very common defensive Pokemon in RU, as Zweilous cannot heavily damage it, while Aromatisse can prey on its 4x weakness to Fairy.

RestTalk
########
name: RestTalk
move 1: Crunch
move 2: Dragon Tail
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
ability: Hustle
item: Eviolite
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
nature: Careful

Moves
========

Crunch is Zweilous's main STAB move, hitting Psychic-types, which Zweilous is meant to check. Dragon Tail provides a Dragon-type STAB move that phazes out the foe, though Hustle turns Dragon Tail into an unreliable 72% accurate attack. The combination of Rest and Sleep Talk gives Zweilous a semi-reliable way of recovering. Roar can be used if you desire a perfectly accurate phazing move.

Set Details
========

This set functions as a nice glue for stall teams, providing firepower, phazing, and something that beats most Psychic-types. Eviolite increases Zweilous's bulk, boosting its unimpressive 72 / 70 / 70 bulk to good levels. The EVs alongside a Careful nature amplify Zweilous's special bulk, allowing it to take on many threats, (comma) such as Delphox and Reuniclus. A more offensive spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD with an Adamant nature can be used with Outrage should more power be desired. However, Zweilous can't take on Electric-types or Choice Specs Meloetta as well as it usually would with that EV spread.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be played defensively. Zweilous is a great switch-in to every Psychic-type in the tier barring Cresselia and the rare Jynx. It also takes on the many Electric-types in the tier, though it should avoid switching into Analytic Choice Specs Magneton's Flash Cannon. Zweilous can also check many Water-types, such as Sharpedo and Slowking. Do not let Zweilous get hit by Knock Off, as the loss of Eviolite significantly lowers its bulk. Dragon Tail should be used to shuffle around the opposing team, racking up chip damage on the opposing Pokemon. Rest should be used when your health is getting low, as it allows Zweilous to continuously check the aforementioned Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Weezing, Doublade, and Amoonguss make for great partners to Zweilous, as they can take on Aromatisse and Fighting-types, which threaten Zweilous. In return, Weezing is able to set up Toxic Spikes, which pairs well with Zweilous's Dragon Tail by allowing Zweilous to spread poison through the opposing team, while Doublade can set up on Aromatisse and Cresselia. Aromatisse also checks Fighting-types and provides cleric support, lifting pressure to Rest from some pressure on Zweilous to Rest and waking up Zweilous up with Aromatherapy. Zweilous benefits from entry hazards, as it can wear down the opposing team with the combination of Dragon Tail and entry hazards. Registeel and Rhyperior are good Stealth Rock setters, and Roselia and Qwilfish make for good Spikes users. Qwilfish has near-perfect synergy with Zweilous as well, with Qwilfish resisting Fairy, Fighting, Ice, and Bug and Zweilous resisting Electric and being immune to Psychic. The aforementioned Weezing makes for a good Toxic Spikes setter, allowing Zweilous to spread poison on the opposing team when phazing with Dragon Tail. Ghost-types such as the aforementioned Doublade make good teammates for Zweilous, as they are immune to Fighting-type attacks and block Rapid Spin.

Other Options
########

A Choice Band set can be used on Zweilous, as Zweilous's Outrage rivals the power of the mighty Kyurem-B. However, such a set is inconsistent due to either not having enough power to KO certain Pokemon or the lowered accuracy from Hustle. It also faces competition with Druddigon, which has a way to hit Fairy-types for super effective damage, which Zweilous lacks. A Substitute + 3 attacks set can be used with Crunch, Outrage, and Superpower. This turns Zweilous into a wallbreaker that can avoid priority and status with Substitute. Zweilous has some utility options available, such as Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Taunt. Superpower can be used to hit Steel-types, such as Cobalion and Registeel, super effectively. Ice Fang can hit Gligar harder than any other move that Zweilous can use, and Fire Fang nails Abomasnow, Durant, and Escavalier.

Checks & Counters
########
**Fairy-types**: Aromatisse, Granbull, and Whimsicott can easily switch into Zweilous, as they are immune to Dragon Tail and resist Crunch, and retaliate back with their Fairy-type STAB moves. Aromatisse can also use Zweilous as an opportunity to use Wish or Aromatherapy.

**Fighting-types**: Cobalion resists Crunch and Dragon Tail, and it can use Zweilous as an opportunity to set Stealth Rock, set up as it switches out, or hit Zweilous with a STAB Close Combat. Virizion and Hitmonlee can threaten Zweilous out with their STAB Fighting-type attacks. Cobalion and Virizion also get an Attack boost if they switch into Crunch thanks to their ability, Justified.

**Steel / Bug Pokemon**: Escavalier and Durant can all take two Crunches from Zweilous, resist Dragon Tail, and are able to retaliate with Megahorn and Superpower, respectively.

**Mega Abomasnow**: Mega Abomasnow can take several Crunches thanks to its natural bulk, and proceed to threaten Zweilous out and either fire off a powerful STAB Blizzard or set up a Swords Dance.

**Knock Off**: While Zweilous resists Knock Off, the move removes its Eviolite, significantly lowering Zweilous's bulk.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
On phone lying in bed cant sleep cuz i had too much caffeine today but here goes:

[Overview]
No mention of competition from druddigon? Why use it over drudd? (Added bulk, dark typing/stab)

[RestTalk]
Not really sure about this set tbh as I never used it but w/e, sounds.. not bad on paper i guess, but hustle dragon tail is rough.

[Team Options]
Hazard removal seems redundant so it should probably be removed. All pokemon like hazards gone. I feel like spikes/t.spikes need more emphasis. Mention defensive qwilfish perhaps?

[OO]
Mention Escav as Fire Fang target too.

[C&C]
Looks messy, u should probably fix the format. Remove the bit about Escavalier knocking off zwwilous's evio, it would just megahorn for the ko.

Sorry this is kinda sloppy, as I said im on my phone atm but I had a few quick comments. Keep in mind im not qc :]

On phone lying in bed cant sleep cuz i had too much caffeine today but here goes:

[Overview]
No mention of competition from druddigon? Why use it over drudd? (Added bulk, dark typing/stab)

[RestTalk]
Not really sure about this set tbh as I never used it but w/e, sounds.. not bad on paper i guess, but hustle dragon tail is rough.

[Team Options]
Hazard removal seems redundant so it should probably be removed. All pokemon like hazards gone. I feel like spikes/t.spikes need more emphasis. Mention defensive qwilfish perhaps?

[OO]
Mention Escav as Fire Fang target too.

[C&C]
Looks messy, u should probably fix the format. Remove the bit about Escavalier knocking off zwwilous's evio, it would just megahorn for the ko.

Sorry this is kinda sloppy, as I said im on my phone atm but I had a few quick comments. Keep in mind im not qc :]
implemented most of this, yeah c&c is messy but i intend to fix it up when writing up, if QC wants a "prettier" skeleton i can fix it up as well

Last edited:

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
overview:

fine, i'd probably tone it down slightly too. its bulk is not bad at all, but it's all that impressive, especially in a tier with stuff like cresselia, alomomola etc around.
empathize hustle's accuracy reduction even more. seriously, i'd spam the hell out of this thing so hard if it weren't for its unreliability
it's a surefire counter for reuniclus tbh. crunch hits like a truck and the standard calm mind set doesn't run focus blast. specs still has to predict and otr is uncommon but still doesn't ohko. this one is actually one of zwei's biggest niches tbh
it also checks sharpedo!!!!!!! that's amazing

set:

roar needs to go in moves. it's reliable, that matters a lot.
set details should include a more offensive ev spread with outrage maybe.
mention hustle's drawbacks too or don't mention it at all (it's its only ability after all)
mention how this thing's best when used on stall teams as a glue, checking most psychic-types, shuffling and providing some firepower as well (set details)
hazard support mentions from more defensive mons is fine. mention qwilfish though, since it has perfect defensive synergy with zweilous (almost)
hazard removal could probably be removed for the reasons arikado said, but it'd probably wait on the opinions of other qc members, cause resttalk isn't that hard to pressure if it has to switch into hazards

other options:
sub + 3 atks
more utility based sets w/o resttalk. it gets thunder wave, taunt or toxic, not bad at all
superpower is neat coverage too

c&c
not even bad, mention cobalion as a steel-type, gets sr for free and can nuke with close combat tho

in regards to competition from druddigon: they're different, but you could indeed say that besides druddigon and dragalge, zweilous is the only other dragon-type considered viable. that uniqueness is worth mentioning probably

once this is implemented, QC 1/3

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Add Amoonguss to Weezing / Doublade area of team section (fighting check that beats aromatisse), doesn't mind knock off either thanks to regen

As for hazard control I don't think it requires it, although rapid spin support is obviously nice, as it does allow the opponent to get hazards up (defog kind of is unnecessary, not rocks weak and wants hazards up on the opponents side).

looks pretty good imo

QC 2/3

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
  • Qwilfish is neutral to Grass. Replace this mention with Zweilous's Psychic immunity
  • Make mention of spinblockers since Zweilous should be accompanied by multiple entry hazards. Gourgeist-XL is probably the most notable
Solid otherwise. QC Approved 3/3

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########

Zweilous is one of the few dDragon-types that are viable in RU. Its great typing gives it an immunity to Psychic-type attacks, alongsides well as key resistances to Ghost-, Fire-, Electric-, Grass-, and Water-type attacks. This, alongside its solid bulk withprovided by Eviolite, allows it to effectively take on many top-tier threats such as Delphox, Reuniclus, Sharpedo, Moltres, Meloetta, Magneton, and Doublade. Its Dark- typing and greater bulk lets it stand out from itsother Dragon-type brethren,s, such as Druddigon and Dragalge. Hustle also gives Zweilous some nice firepower for a defensive Pokemon. However, Hustle's accuracy drop means Zweilous's ability to check certain Pokemon is unreliable, which is a huge letdown. Furthermore, it lacks reliable recovery, forcing it to have to use RestTalk to stay healthy. Its typing leaves it unfortunately weak to the common Fighting-type attacks in the tier, and its reliance on Eviolite for bulk leaves it vulnerable to the very common Knock Off . Zweilous also despises Aromatisse, a very common defensive Pokemon in RU, as Zweilous cannot toucheavily damage it while Aromatisse can prey on its 4x weakness to Fairy.

RestTalk
########

Moves
========

Crunch is Zweilous's main STAB move, hitting the Psychic-types that, which Zweilous is meant to check. Dragon Tail provides a Dragon-type STAB move that phazes out the foe. However, Hustle turns Dragon Tail into an unreliable 72% accurate attack. The combination of Rest and Sleep Talk give Zweilous a semi-reliable way of recovering. Roar can be used if you desire a reliablperfectly accurate phazing move.

Set Details
========

This set functions as a nice glue for stall teams, providing firepower, phazing, and something that beats most Psychic-types. Eviolite increases Zweilous's bulk, boosting its unimpressive 72/70/70 defensesbulk to good levels. The EVs alongside a Careful nature amplify Zweilous's special bulk, which allowsing it to take on many threats such as Delphox and Reuniclus. A more offensive spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD with an Adamant nature can be used with Outrage, should more power be desired. However, Zweilous doesn't take on Electric-types or Specs Meloetta as well as it usually would with thisat EV spread.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be played defensively. Zweilous is a great switch-in to every Psychic-type in the tier barring Cresselia and the very rare Jynx. It also is able to takes on the many Electric-types in the tier, though it should avoid switching in on Analytic Choice Specs Magneton's Flash Cannon. Zweilous can also check many Water-types, such as Sharpedo and Slowking. Do not let Zweilous get hit withby Knock Off, as the loss of Eviolite significantly lowers Zweilous'its bulk. Dragon Tail should be used to shuffle around the opposing team, racking up chip damage on the opposing Pokemon. Rest should be used when your health is getting low, as it allows Zweilous to continuously check the aforementioned Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Weezing, Doublade, and Amoonguss make for great partners to Zweilous, as they can take on Aromatisse and the Fighting-types that, which threaten Zweilous. In return, Weezing is able to set up Toxic Spikes, which pairs well with Zweilous's Dragon Tail, while Doublade can set up on Aromatisse and Cresselia. Aromatisse also checks Fighting-types and provides cleric support, lifting some pressure on Zweilous to Rest and waking up Zweilous with Aromatherapy. Zweilous lovappreciates entry hazards, as it can wear down the opposing team with the combination of Dragon Tail and theentry hazards. Registeel and Rhyperior are good Stealth Rock setters and Roselia and Qwilfish make for good Spikes users. Qwilfish has near -perfect synergy with Zweilous as well, with Qwilfish resisting Fairy, Fighting, Ice, and Bug while Zweilous resists Electric and is immune to Psychic. The aforementioned Weezing makes for a good Toxic Spikes setter, allowing Zweilous to spread poison on the opposing team when phazing with Dragon Tail. Because Zweilous should be accompanied by many entry hazards, Ghost-types are good partners to block Rapid Spin and maintain the hazards. Gourgeist-XL and the aforementioned Doublade are perfect for the job.

Other Options
########

A Choice Band set can be used on Zweilous, as its Outrage rivals the power of the mighty Kyurem-B. However, such a set is inconsistent due to either not having enough power to KO certain Pokemon or the lowered accuracy from Hustle. It also faces competition with Druddigon, whoich has a way to hit fFairiy-types for super effective damage, which Zweilous lacks. A Substitute + 3 Attacks set can be used with Crunch, Outrage, and Superpower. This turns Zweilous into a wallbreaker that can avoid priority and status with Substitute. Zweilous has some utility options available, such as Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Taunt. Superpower can be used to hit Steel-types, such as Cobalion and Registeel, super effectively. Ice Fang can hit Gligar harder than any other move that Zweilous can use, and Fire Fang nails Abomasnow, Durant, and Escavalier.

Checks & Counters
########
**Fairy-types**: Aromatisse, Granbull, and Whimsicott can easily switch in on Zweilous, as they are immune to Dragon Tail and resist Crunch, and retaliate back with their Fairy-type STAB moves. Aromatisse can also use Zweilous as an opportunity to use Wish or Aromatherapy.

**Fighting-types**: Cobalion resists Crunch and Dragon Tail, and can use Zweilous as an opportunity to set Stealth Rock, set up as it switches out, or hit Zweilous with a STAB Close Combat. Virizion and Hitmonlee can threaten Zweilous out with their STAB Fighting-type attacks. Cobalion and Virizion also get an Attack boost if they switch in on Crunch duethanks to their ability, Justified.

**Steel / Bug types**: Escavalier and Durant can all take two Crunches from Zweilous, resist Dragon Tail, and are able to retaliate with Megahorn and Superpower, respectively.

**Mega Abomasnow**: Mega Abomasnow can take several Crunches thanks to its natural bulk, and proceed to threaten Zweilous out and either fire off a powerful STAB Blizzard or set up a Swords Dance.

**Knock Off**: While Zweilous resists Knock Off, it losKnock Off removes its Eviolite, which significantly lowersing Zweilous's bulk.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
one little fix ppl, hope you don't mind :] hele it is:

tone down the mention of entry hazard support. i dunno what happened; i don't really remember telling you to give it such an emphasis, nor do i remember seeing it in the skeleton that way, but the point is that sentences like this:

"Zweilous loves entry hazards, as it can wear down the opposing team with the combination of Dragon Tail and the hazards. Registeel and Rhyperior are good Stealth Rock setters and Roselia and Qwilfish make good Spikes users."

come off as a bit exaggerated, since zweilous just has good synergy with common spikes setters seen on stall teams, but it doesn't desperately need those to function. just change "loves" to "benefits from" i guess.

lastly, with that change in mind, i'd probably change the sentence regarding spinblockers too. keep them as partners, but give talk more about their fighting-type immunity rather than ability to block rapid spin. gourgeist isn't really a relevant pokemon either (it's decent, but not the first thing that comes to one's mind. spiritomb overlaps with zweilous too, so i'd just change it to doublade only)

that's all, and sorry if it was unexpected :[

Last edited:

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Zweilous is one of the few Dragon-types that are viable in RU. Its great typing gives it an immunity to Psychic-type attacks, (remove comma) as well as key resistances to Ghost-, Fire-, Electric-, Grass-, and Water-type attacks. This, alongside its solid bulk provided by Eviolite, allows it to effectively take on many top-tier threats, including such as Delphox, Reuniclus, Sharpedo, Moltres, Meloetta, Magneton, and Doublade. Zweilous's Its Dark typing (remove dash) and greater bulk lets it stand out from other Dragon-types, such as Druddigon and Dragalge. Hustle also gives Zweilous some nice firepower. However, Hustle's accuracy drop means Zweilous's ability to check certain Pokemon is unreliable, which is a huge letdown. Furthermore, it lacks reliable recovery, forcing it to have to use RestTalk to stay healthy. Its typing leaves it unfortunately weak to the common Fighting-type attacks in the tier, and its reliance on Eviolite for bulk leaves it vulnerable to the common Knock Off. Zweilous also despises Aromatisse, a very common defensive Pokemon in RU, as Zweilous cannot heavily damage Aromatisse it, (comma) which while Aromatisse can prey on its 4x weakness to Fairy.

RestTalk
########

Moves
========

Crunch is Zweilous's main STAB move, hitting Psychic-types, which Zweilous is meant to check. Dragon Tail provides a Dragon-type STAB move that phazes out the foe, though. However, Hustle turns Dragon Tail into an unreliable 72% accurate attack. The combination of Rest and Sleep Talk gives Zweilous a semi-reliable way of recovering. Roar can be used if you desire a perfectly accurate phazing move.

Set Details
========

This set functions as a nice glue for stall teams, providing firepower, phazing, and something that beats most Psychic-types. Eviolite increases Zweilous's bulk, boosting its unimpressive 72 / 70 / 70 (spaces) bulk to good levels. The EVs alongside a Careful nature amplify Zweilous's special bulk, allowing it to take on many threats, (comma) such as Delphox and Reuniclus. A more offensive spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD with an Adamant nature can be used with Outrage, (remove comma) should more power be desired. However, Zweilous doesn't can't take on Electric-types or Choice Specs Meloetta as well as it usually would with that EV spread.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be played defensively. Zweilous is a great switch-in to every Psychic-type in the tier barring Cresselia and the rare Jynx. It also takes on the many Electric-types in the tier, though it should avoid switching into on Analytic Choice Specs Magneton's Flash Cannon. Zweilous can also check many Water-types, such as Sharpedo and Slowking. Do not let Zweilous get hit by Knock Off, as the loss of Eviolite significantly lowers its bulk. Dragon Tail should be used to shuffle around the opposing team, racking up chip damage on the opposing Pokemon. Rest should be used when your health is getting low, as it allows Zweilous to continuously check the aforementioned Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Weezing, Doublade, and Amoonguss make for great partners to Zweilous, as they can take on Aromatisse and Fighting-types, which threaten Zweilous. In return, Weezing is able to set up Toxic Spikes, which pairs well with Zweilous's Dragon Tail by allowing Zweilous to spread poison through the opposing team, while Doublade can set up on Aromatisse and Cresselia. Aromatisse also checks Fighting-types and provides cleric support, lifting pressure to Rest from some pressure on Zweilous to Rest and waking up Zweilous up with Aromatherapy. Zweilous benefits from entry hazards, as it can wear down the opposing team with the combination of Dragon Tail and entry hazards. Registeel and Rhyperior are good Stealth Rock setters, (comma) and Roselia and Qwilfish make for good Spikes users. Qwilfish has near-perfect synergy with Zweilous as well, with Qwilfish resisting Fairy, Fighting, Ice, and Bug and while Zweilous resisting resists Electric and is immune to Psychic. The aforementioned Weezing makes for a good Toxic Spikes setter, allowing Zweilous to spread poison on the opposing team when phazing with Dragon Tail. Ghost-types such as the aforementioned Doublade make good teammates for Zweilous, as they are immune to Fighting-type attacks and block Rapid Spin.

Other Options
########

A Choice Band set can be used on Zweilous, as its Zweilous's Outrage rivals the power of the mighty Kyurem-B. However, such a set is inconsistent due to either not having enough power to KO certain Pokemon or the lowered accuracy from Hustle. It also faces competition with Druddigon, which has a way to hit Fairy-types for super effective damage, which Zweilous lacks. A Substitute + 3 attacks set can be used with Crunch, Outrage, and Superpower. This turns Zweilous into a wallbreaker that can avoid priority and status with Substitute. Zweilous has some utility options available, such as Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Taunt. Superpower can be used to hit Steel-types, such as Cobalion and Registeel, super effectively. Ice Fang can hit Gligar harder than any other move that Zweilous can use, and Fire Fang nails Abomasnow, Durant, and Escavalier.

Checks & Counters
########
**Fairy-types**: Aromatisse, Granbull, and Whimsicott can easily switch into on Zweilous, as they are immune to Dragon Tail and resist Crunch, and retaliate back with their Fairy-type STAB moves. Aromatisse can also use Zweilous as an opportunity to use Wish or Aromatherapy.

**Fighting-types**: Cobalion resists Crunch and Dragon Tail, and it can use Zweilous as an opportunity to set Stealth Rock, set up as it switches out, or hit Zweilous with a STAB Close Combat. Virizion and Hitmonlee can threaten Zweilous out with their STAB Fighting-type attacks. Cobalion and Virizion also get an Attack boost if they switch into on Crunch thanks to their ability, Justified.

**Steel / Bug Pokemon types**: Escavalier and Durant can all take two Crunches from Zweilous, resist Dragon Tail, and are able to retaliate with Megahorn and Superpower, respectively.

**Knock Off**: While Zweilous resists Knock Off, Knock Off the move removes its Eviolite, significantly lowering Zweilous's bulk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)