Project ZU Player of the Week - Quagg

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
ZU potw.png

Approved by 5gen & S1nn0hC0nfirm3d | Amazing Art by Albatr0ss
(Interview Date: 28th of May 2021)
hattrem.png

Hello everybody and welcome to "ZU Player of the Week"!. I am Jettrem, or Jett for short, and I will be your host for this edition of the project. This project will feature interviews from some of the most prominent personalities in ZU so that we can discover more about their Pokémon and personal lives. I am grateful that I will have the chance to interview so many amazing ZU players and I hope that you enjoy these as much as I do. I've rambled on for a bit now so without further ado, let me introduce our first interviewee, ZU's newest Voice...

quagsire gif.gif

Quagg!!
Favorite Pokemon: :quagsire: & :latios:
(ZU Voice, SM ZU Enthusiast, Quagsire Lover)
ditto.png

*dit to*

hattrem.png

Jett is confused!
This isn't a Quagsire.

ditto.png

Ditto used Transform!
Ditto transformed into Quagsire!

quagsire.png

*quag*
hattrem.png

oh...
Jett snapped out of its confusion!
Hello mr quagsgone, how are you doing today?

quagsire.png

Doing very well, thanks for asking! What about urself?

hattrem.png

That's great to hear. I'm doing pretty good as well.
To kick things off, can you tell the community and I a little bit about yourself outside of Smogon?

quagsire.png

Hell yeah! Im 21 years old and live in Norway very close to the capital. I currently work as an electrician and love to go to work every day. The goal is to have my own business one day. I play a lot of sports like football, tennis and lately have been playing a lot of padel as well. Really love cooking, board games and video games too. My life isnt super interesting right now because of covid, but looks like stuff is about to open up so im very excited!

hattrem.png

Ah ye, the past year hasn't been great for activities because of the pandemic unfortunately, but it's great to hear you love what you do as a job :>!

quagsire.png

C:

hattrem.png

What's the inspiration behind your name?

quagsire.png

Well i used to go by the name reverse aim, because i watched a lot of pokeaim vids when i was younger and thought he was very good, so figured reverse aim was a good name for me. After rocking with that name for a while a suspect test for Quagsire in ORAS PU happened and it got banned. People in chat kept asking if quag is gone yet, so ended up randomly calling myself quagsgone :D

hattrem.png

Oh that's really interesting, both of these names have pretty interesting backgrounds and both have a funnier side to them.
How did you first get into PS! and ZU?

quagsire.png

I first got introduced to PS by a friend back in 2014 i think. We both wanted to get good at this game so we rolled up with Ninjask baton pass in AG and thought this was the best way to play the game. After getting tired of that I really liked the idea of using the worst mons possible so ORAS PU was the best tier i could find at the time. After playing that for a few years i needed a break from this site, and when i came back i really loved how SM ZU looked since it was very similar to ORAS PU. Since then ive pretty much only played ZU and NFE.

hattrem.png

You've been through quite the journey damn, going from the metagame that allows every Pokemon to ones that allow the fewest.

quagsire.png

Yep and i must say i like using the bad mons waaay more

hattrem.png

Haha that's really cool c:
Now moving onto UMPL, you're currently 3-0 in ZU and 4-1 overall, and patiently waiting for your opponent in the finals. How have you been enjoying tournament so far?

quagsire.png

This tour has been a blast so far. Really like my teammates and we are so hyped for the finals! Would be really cool to win the first edition of UMPL. And yeah im very happy with how it has went so far. The goal now is to go 10-0 in ZU with my man 5gen.

hattrem.png

That's awesome to hear!!
I'm looking forward to seeing you play again next week

quagsire.png

Gonna be a fun one for sure C:

hattrem.png

What are your thoughts on the current ZU metagame? Are there any Pokemon you believe should be suspected in the near future?

quagsire.png

I really enjoy the meta right now. Personally i would wait a bit with suspecting stuff since we are still early in the meta and it will change quickly once we start to adapt. Examples of that are Thwackey and Tangela. Very rare to see before UMPL, but now they are everywhere. I really dont like the idea of suspecting mons that previously has been banned. Cant we wait for that until we have a more stable meta? If we lose Garbodor in the next shift(July) for example i predict that the meta is gonna look way different. So yeah i think that we should wait a bit with suspects in general since i feel like the meta right now is very playable and fun.

hattrem.png

oo that is a pretty interesting take. Personally, I think the only Pokemon that may deserve a suspect is Silvally-Ground.

quagsire.png

Vallies in general are so strong and near impossible to prep for with that coverage. If I was forced to suspect something it would be Silvally-Ground but since there is no need to i would wait since meta is fine rn

hattrem.png

Onto pokemon in general could you pick your favourite moment from playing Pokemon and perhaps your greatest accomplishment in competitive Pokemon?

quagsire.png

Damn good question. My favourite moments from playing Pokemon in general must be the times when everything was new and I had no idea what was in front of me. I remember going though those caves in FireRed without Flash(the move) so i could barely see a thing. Thinking about those moments now is really funny to me and brings back great memories. I dont have that many accomplishments in competitive pokemon honestly. I am very good at getting to finals or semis, but then i usually find a way to lose! Lets just hope this UMPL turns out different!

hattrem.png

Ah ye, it's always funny to look back when you were clueless about things in-game. Would love to see you finally win a team tournament given how much effort you put in to them.
Is there anyone you look up to as a player?

quagsire.png

Ooo cool question. As i mentioned earlier i used to love watching pokeaim videos so it kinda has be him. I honestly learned a lot from that guy and he is such a nice person too. I have also always tried to get as good as possible in the tiers i have played so looked up to someone like Frisoeva too.

hattrem.png

Aim was one of the earliest Pokemon youtubers I watched as well. No wonder you're so nice.
Now onto your other interests. Do you have a favourite song, movie, or TV show?

quagsire.png

Ahh i love listening to music. Honestly i dont have a favourite song, but if i had to choose 1 it would have to be Mr.Brightside. That song is a banger. My favourite tv show is probably Breaking Bad. Started off very slow in season 1, but once u get into it oh man is it good. Favourite movie for me is so hard to choose, but the lord of the rings movies will always have a special place in my heart.

hattrem.png

All very good choices, expected no less from you :P

quagsire.png

:D

hattrem.png

You mentioned earlier that you like to play a lot of sport. Do you also watch any sport and are there any teams that you support or are fond of?

quagsire.png

I love to watch sports too! I support my local football club called Lillestrøm, and i also really like to watch the english league and i support Manchester United there. Would love to go on a game there someday C: I watch other sports too like tennis and hockey, but football will always be number 1 for me

hattrem.png

Ah that's really cool that you support your local club as well. More of a Chelsea Fan myself but Manchester United are alright I guess.

quagsire.png

Hope u guys beat City in the champions league final tomorrow!

hattrem.png

I'm hoping for that to happen as well!
A slightly more odd question now; which fellow ZU voice would you want with you if you were stranded on a deserted island? And why?

quagsire.png

Ooof thats a tough one to answer. Would probably end up with greg because i have a feeling he has some insane surviving instincts.

hattrem.png

Ah yes, Greg sounds like a name who would be prepared for such a circumstance

quagsire.png

LOL

hattrem.png

Could you perhaps share a team of your own design that you are especially proud of?

quagsire.png

Will do!
:poliwrath: :rotom-fan: :bronzor: :grimer-alola: :silvally-dragon: :torterra:
This is a gen 7 team I made when Torterra first dropped. 6-0ed almost every E4 member with SD + Synth Torterra.
I wanted to try Poliwrath, Rotom-Fan and Bronzor as a defensive core because it covers so much of the meta. Also i felt like it has no way of breaking Bronzor and i really wanted a Toxic Spike absorber too since its pretty much needed in the meta so Grimer-Alola was perfect fit. Silvally Dragon was the best Defog option here since it helps soft checking alot of pokemon this team might struggle with like Combusken and helps alot in Altaria matchups. Tort was also perfect fit in last slot since i wanted to have an electric immunity with some nice breaking power.

hattrem.png

Having used this team, I can confirm it's awesome. Lastly, is there anyone you'd like to shoutout or anything else you want to say to our viewers?

quagsire.png

I have so many good friends on this site that deserves a shoutout. I cant really write tons of names because then this would be way too long so im gonna keep it as short as possible. Shoutout to the people in SUU. Makes this site way more fun to be in. CUNOS ty for being great team mates. This tour has been so fun with u guys. Also big shoutout to ZU and NFE community for being super nice and fun to play this game with. Pokemon would not be the same without u C:

hattrem.png

That wraps up the first player of the week of Gen 8. Thank you quags for taking some of your time to answer these questions!

quagsire.png

Was a pleasure!

Feel free to ask to Quagg any questions you want!

Last edited:
hi mr quags

1. Which is your favorite between gen6pu and gen7zu?
2. quagsislove or quagsback?
3. barba atuns or golden alpacas?
4. What do you think of the aforementioned complimenting your physique? (I won't tell which words he's been using nor what the context was)
5. Any mediocre to bad mon you enjoy in current SwSh ZU?
6. Why are you so good?
7. Who's the worst ZU staff member and why Tuthur?
8. Choose a gobo to rule them all other than barba

I was bullied into numbering the qs by jett rip

Last edited:

Apagogie

Zee you later
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
H-hi quagsgone ~

1) Which mon do you hate the most facing in the current ZU metagame? Not necessary rationally.

2) Which mon in ZU do you think is the most underrated? And the most overrated one?

3) You are one of best SM player. What do you think of the current state of the tier? Anything should be banned? What do you specially like about this tier compared to others?

4) If you could choose to live in an other country than Norway, what would it be & why?

5) Why do people make parties in the bus in norway?

6) If you decided to learn an other language, what would you pick?

7) Do you have a fun story or a fun fact to share about your life? n.n

1) Top 5/10 albums/artists? Whatever you feel like doing
2) Favorite water/ground that isnt Quagsire?
3) Favorite and least favorite old gen? Rank them if you want
4) What food do you like?
5) Do you have any pets?
6) Any places you want to travel to?

hi mr quags

1. Which is your favorite between gen6pu and gen7zu?
2. quagsislove or quagsback?
3. barba atuns or golden alpacas?
4. What do you think of the aforementioned complimenting your physique? (I won't tell which words he's been using nor what the context was)
5. Any mediocre to bad mon you enjoy in current SwSh ZU?
6. Why are you so good?
7. Who's the worst ZU staff member and why Tuthur?
8. Choose a gobo to rule them all other than barba

I was bullied into numbering the qs by jett rip
hi laevin C:
  1. Very good question mr. For me I don’t think anything will beat gen 6 pu tho. Its where it all started for me in competitive mons and the meta was super fun.
  2. quagislove 100%
  3. golden alpacas
  4. Was very funny. Did not expect that at all lmao. Classic barba tho.
  5. Ludicolo is a mediocre mon I’ve been having fun with lately. 3 attacks with rain dance goes in vs a lot of teams.
  6. Thanks, and tbh I’m not that great, but as I always say experience and learning from mistakes is what ive been doing to get better.
  7. Rip Choo Choo(dw tuthur I really like you).
  8. Who other than gobosox? The literal creator of gobo.

H-hi quagsgone ~

1) Which mon do you hate the most facing in the current ZU metagame? Not necessary rationally.

2) Which mon in ZU do you think is the most underrated? And the most overrated one?

3) You are one of best SM player. What do you think of the current state of the tier? Anything should be banned? What do you specially like about this tier compared to others?

4) If you could choose to live in an other country than Norway, what would it be & why?

5) Why do people make parties in the bus in norway?

6) If you decided to learn an other language, what would you pick?

7) Do you have a fun story or a fun fact to share about your life? n.n
H-hi apa
  1. Cool question. Im not a fan of playing vs Spikers in general. Especially Garbodor and Ferroseed.
  2. Most overrated to me is probably Kangaskhan. Don’t get me wrong its an amazing mon, but I feel like it naturally gets prepped for and is usually not a problem at all. Most underrated is very hard to answer since we have like 10+ underrated mons, but im gonna go with Liepard.
  3. Thanks! I enjoy sm so much and think the current state of the tier is good. We didn’t get that much time to play around with Tort and Eggy I feel, so if something should get banned might be one of those Imo. What I like with that tier over others is hard to say since I basically only played zu in sm :D. But as I told Jett in the interview im a fan of using the worst mons possible. Not sure why.
  4. This is a very interesting one. After a lot of thinking I have decided Australia. Great people, pretty similar to Norway, but way better temperature. Only downside would be scary animals, but I’ve heard this is not a problem.
  5. Its our way of graduation. You don’t have to buy a bus of course but busses is apparently a good way for people to graduate with the people you enjoy being with the most. Its called “rulling” which means rolling and thats basically loud music and way too much alcohol from early may to 17th may. And yes this happens in the bus while driving(personal driver of course).
  6. Another cool question. Would probably be Spanish because then I could communicate easily with most people.
  7. (Will update this just need some time to think LOL).

1) Top 5/10 albums/artists? Whatever you feel like doing
2) Favorite water/ground that isnt Quagsire?
3) Favorite and least favorite old gen? Rank them if you want
4) What food do you like?
5) Do you have any pets?
6) Any places you want to travel to?
  1. I don’t think I can choose between my favourite artists but I will name my top ones:
    Coldplay, Queen, The Killers, Taylor Swift and last is of course Rick Astley.
  2. Its something special about Whiscash. Its smile makes me smile so I have to go with that one.
  3. From best to worst(ZU edition):
    SM, ORAS, DPP, GSC, ADV, BW(never touched BW so thats why).
  4. Italian food hits different. Im a big pasta and pizza fan so I have to go with that.
  5. We had a rabbit called Leo, but sadly passed away early May. Turned 11 years old and had a great life.
  6. I have so many places I wanna go to man. Pandemic made me realise that I used to take travelling for granted so I’m gonna do something about that. So many foods, places, people and cultures I wanna experience. First stop would probably be Italy.

what is your favorite nfepl team and why is it deez nuzleafs?
    It is indeed deez nuzleafs. I really liked the team chemistry and atmosphere and I liked that we didn’t take it too serious and focused more on having fun. 8+ weeks was a lot but you guys made it a very fun. Def one of my favourite team experiences.

What's your favorite playstyle?
    Do have any uncorroborated opinions about the current meta?
    1.I really like bulky offense because for me its easier to play around bad matchups with that and it feels more smooth for me to use in general. Always love to use offense or hyper offense too, but my go to would definitely be bulky offense.
    2. Honestly I don’t think so. Only thing I can think of is that I don’t really think any of the S rank mons atm deserves S.

hayedenn

forgotten me already?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
hi quags
1. favorite quag gif?
2. favorite in-game trainer that used a quagsire?
3. favorite quagsire set?
4. how would you go about riding a quagsire?
5. if you had a pet quagsire, what would you name it? what would it eat?
6. how would you go about designing a mega quagsire? what stat boosts and ability would you give it?
7. if quagsires were real, what country/ocean would you find them in? would they have a migration pattern, and if they did, what would that migration pattern look like?
8. should gamefreak give quagsire stealth rock or spikes? i feel like they should

Last edited:

ishtar

lucky stars in your eyes ☆
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
PU Leader
Hi, Mr quags, always a pleasure hearing about you!

1) Thoughts on this post?
2) What are 3 underrated mons in the ZU meta rn in your opinion?
3) What would you like to see drop from PU?
4) OML a fellow ORAS PU enthusiast!! Ig I'll ask the same q i just asked for ZU. Which are some of your fav underrated mons in your opinion?
5) What attracts you to lower tiers in general?
6) Whos the best SUU leader and why is it not sketchy ecchi?
7) Where would you rank yourself in the sewers ffa viability rankings?
8) If barba could go study close to you and you'd be able to meet, where would you take him?
9) Ay show me a squad from ur UMMMMMMMPL run that i can steal :owohehe:

Glad to have u around again ^-^ s/o Jett for a gr8 interview!

Last edited:
hi quags
1. favorite quag gif?
2. favorite in-game trainer that used a quagsire?
3. favorite quagsire set?
4. how would you go about riding a quagsire?
5. if you had a pet quagsire, what would you name it? what would it eat?
6. how would you go about designing a mega quagsire? what stat boosts and ability would you give it?
7. if quagsires were real, what country/ocean would you find them in? would they have a migration pattern, and if they did, what would that migration pattern look like?
8. should gamefreak give quagsire stealth rock or spikes? i feel like they should
Hi tox C:
  1. 100% the Quagsire victory scream.
  2. One if the fisher guys. Some of the chillest in game characters.
  3. Fav set is easily the gen 2 set. Belly drum with Eq, Hp Rock and Rest.
  4. Apparently Quag is always slimy and bumps into everything since it doesn’t care, so id prefer not to ride it :D.
  5. Glen. Quag eats what it wants.
  6. Would make it look pretty similar honestly since it looks so pure. Ability would be some super OP Quag victory scream that boosts every attack.
  7. You would find them on the most random places you can imagine. So random u might only be able to see them once in a lifetime.
  8. Rocks would be more likely honestly.

Hi, Mr quags, always a pleasure hearing about you!

1) Thoughts on this post?
    2) What are 3 underrated mons in the ZU meta rn in your opinion?
    3) What would you like to see drop from PU?
    4) OML a fellow ORAS PU enthusiast!! Ig I'll ask the same q i just asked for ZU. Which are some of your fav underrated mons in your opinion?
    5) What attracts you to lower tiers in general?
    6) Whos the best SUU leader and why is it not sketchy ecchi?
    7) Where would you rank yourself in the sewers ffa viability rankings?
    8) If barba could go study close to you and you'd be able to meet, where would you take him?
    9) Ay show me a squad from ur UMMMMMMMPL run that i can steal :owohehe:

Glad to have u around again ^-^ s/o Jett for a gr8 interview!
    Hi keppy!

9. Amazing post. Unexpected but great.
  10. I already mentioned Liepard in previous question so gonna name 3 other now. Klinklang, Silvally poison and Jynx are mons I find very underrated right now. Klinklang and Silv poison are very reliable setup mons that easily can setup 1 time and clean house late game. Jynx just has really great dual STAB and is sooo hard to switch into. Idk if I can even call Jynx underrated at this point tho.
  11. Damn I have actually 0 clue what the potential drops are so I’m just gonna name a cool PU mon that might be bad. Hitmonlee kek.
  12. Always love talking about this tier. Some underrated mons are probably Krokrok which got a lot of attention late ORAS, Regigigas is pretty cool, but prob outclassed by Bouff. Ik false had some success with Regi tho. Marowak kinda hard to fit, but solid and underrated mon.
  13. Good question. I think the fact that lower tiers is where I started and really liked the vibe so I just sticked with it. And ig I like the idea that there is a potential even for all the “worst” mons in the game.
  14. Very hard question. Sketchy was probably the best before he started his smash career, but now I can’t choose between u guys. If I had to pick one would be u tho ;)
  15. Solid D rank. I feel bad so easily so I usually just attack everyone the same amount.
  16. Another interesting one. Would prob take him up north. Prob one of the better ways of experience the “real” nature of Norway. Either that or if we aren’t that into nature we could just go to a random pub and have the time of our lives. Think that would be fun with Barba loool.
  17. Oki doki! https://pokepast.es/e8b7a6668545f23f
    Solid team even tho it has the useless Poliwrath. Gourg used to be way more fun then Tang was less popular tho.

Hey quag,

- If you could bring back one unreleased Pokémon to ZU which would it be? why?

- Same question about a PU Pokémon.

- Who's your favorite french user and why it isn't laevin?
Yo choochoo!

1. Cool question. Would probably be the Simis honstly. No clue if they would be good or not but I really like the speed tier and their good coverage. Would except them to be pretty nice in the meta actually.

2. Eelektross would be fire to have back. Isn't this the only mon in the game without a single weakness?

3. This is impossible to answer to me. So many nice French people on this site. Laevin is def one of them C:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)