ZongTopZard OU - My First RMT!

Hello and welcome to my first ever RMT! I've dabbled a fair bit in OU since early Generation 5 and I've always been a sucker for more...unorthodox sets. (If anyone remembers my Hail teams in Gen 5, they'll know this). Essentially this team includes a few different sets for pokemon which I think are still viable, given the right team is built around it. Although I'm not overly high on the ladders with it, this is moreso because I haven't had the time to ladder hardcore with it, but it is at around 15-2 on PS ladders, with a lot of battles on other servers as well. Without further ado, let's begin!

Note Benne:
  • Anything seen in Red like this signifies a change implemented by suggestions here.
  • Anything seen in Blue like this signifies omitted parts - which I will be keeping in for the sake of knowing the original RMT and how it's developed - due to said suggestions.

Pokemon #1
Bronzong

Barry Burton (Bronzong) @ Full Incense/Flame Orb/Toxic Orb/Iron Ball
Ability: Heatproof/Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 156 Def / 100 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Rock Slide/Zen Headbutt/Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake/Rock Slide
- Trick

Here is the first unorthodox set of the day and this is actually the Pokémon which started this whole team off. Instead of the usual Screens/SR sets you see Bronzong using, I decided to make use of its massive bulk and good defensive typing to become an anti-sweeper slot in my team.

Item Choices
Depending on what you're looking to cripple, you have a variety of items to use with Trick. I primarily use Full Incense; mainly for this reason:

It's an interesting item, essentially causing whatever holds it to move last in the turn. I love tricking this onto setup sweepers and then retaliating with a Brave-boosted move to the face. It's particularly useful against the likes of Volcarona, as well as crippling a lot of leads/walls as you pinch their items and leave them with an essentially useless Full Incense. Flame or Toxic Orb can also be used, the former to kill physical attackers/sweepers and the latter to put an inevitable timer on walls' heads causing them to either switch out, waste pp or sacrifice their Pokémon. Iron Ball is a little more gimmicky, although it does boost Gyro Ball damage and ground the likes of Rotom-W, Skarmory and Zapdos, making it a little easier to kill them all with EQ. I'm currently running Full Incense, it's what is dealing with issues/threats to my team the best.

Abilities
Heatproof: Now this here be a REALLY nice niche that Bronzong has. With the EV spread and Heatproof, Bronzong can take a Mega Zard-Y Fire Blast IN THE SUN and then proceed to OHKO with Rock Slide. This also makes it easier to wall the likes of Volcarona, Heatran and Talonflame.

Calcs
Regarding the mons names above:
  • 252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Heatproof Bronzong: 168-198 (61 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery - Bronzong OHKOs with Rock Slide.
  • +2 252+ SpA Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 0 HP / 100+ SpD Heatproof Bronzong: 218-258 (79.2 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery - Bronzong OHKOs with Rock Slide.

Nature + EV Spread
Sassy Nature allows Bronzong to survive MegaZardY, as mentioned previously, as well as taking hits from most of the special attackers in OU currently and retaliating with Trick Incense or an attack of its own. The EV spread shown maximises damage output - namely for gyro ball - for Zong and allows enough defences to be able to survive hits from what it needs to be tanking. Please note that most Knock Off users are walls and therefore will be of no problem to Bronzong, however the few offensive Knock Off users - Bisharp in particular - will still OHKO you.

Movesets
Rock Slide is pretty much a given, as it will OHKO Mega Zard-Y, a huge threat in OU currently as well as other potent sweepers [as already mentioned earlier]. Gyro Ball is also necessary, this will allow you to kill other speedy threats which won't get OHKO'd by Rock Slide or Earthquake; namely Alakazam, Deoxys-Speed and Garchomp. Trick is of course the crux of this set, for the reasons also mentioned earlier (crippling leads/sweepers/walls, making it easier for your late-game guys to clean up). Zen Headbutt removed due to the only it's really used for - Mega-Venusaur - eating just as much damage from Gyro Ball.

Other pointers
Please note that due to the nature of this set, you will need to be confident in your prediction ability (as is assumed with all Trick sets) and realise that this is not the OPTIMAL set for Bronzong. The aim with Bronzong is to heavily cripple a sweeper of theirs, to make it EASIER for you late-game; don't expect sweeps from this thing.

Now our main issues with Bronzong lie in: Offensive Knock Off, Sucker Punch, Earthquake users. This next member will be able to deal with the former two easily and the last to an extent. Here comes our Bisharp check!

Pokemon #2
Hitmontop

Steve Burnside (Hitmontop) (M) @ Assault Vest/Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin/Hi Jump Kick
- Sucker Punch/Foresight/Pursuit
- High Jump Kick/Foresight

This is your standard Hitmontop spinner set, with a few tweaks here and there. The main changes I have done are HJK and Assault Vest. This here Hitmontop is solely made for neutralising Bisharp. Running some calcs, here is why:
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hitmontop: 188-224 (61.8 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Technician Hitmontop Mach Punch vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 348-412 (124.7 - 147.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This means Hitmontop can switch in against a Bisharp, LIVE and OHKO it at +1 priority - regardless of what it does - ~98% of the time. (If the Bisharp is clever AND lucky, Iron Head + Sucker Punch has an extremely small chance of killing Hitmontop first.)

Right, movesets. Rapid Spin is used to get rid of hazards, namely Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes, so this is nearly always mandatory. Mach Punch is again mandatory, otherwise we can't switch into Bisharp. Sucker Punch is for any high-flying Psychic attackers coming your way, this will especially bring the hurt to the likes of Alakazam. A few optional ideas: High Jump Kick is a very nice, high-powered move with the capability of breaking some pretty nasty walls. I'll just leave this here (Keep in mind that running SP means that we cannot run this move, hence why it is optional):
    • 252+ Atk Hitmontop High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 498-588 (70.7 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 252+ Atk Hitmontop High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 680-804 (95.2 - 112.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
Foresight will allow this to go EVEN further, allowing us to Rapid Spin AND/OR High Jump Kick against the omnipresent Aegislash. Even at -2, High Jump Kick OHKOs Aegislash OOOOO:, however you either sacrifice hitting psychics, or sacrificing killing big walls, namely Blissey/Chansey/Aegislash/Heatran. Of course running Foresight means dropping Assault Vest, so instead chuck a Leftovers on Hitmontop.

Now in terms of Hitmontop's problems, Bronzong covers these quite nicely, due to resisting Fairy/Flying/Psychic with relative ease.

Time for member number three! Let's get our first offensive Pokémon in here!

Pokemon #3
Mega Charizard-Y

Chris Redfield (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power [Drought in Mega Form]
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: Whatever is needed for the HP you require / 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Rock]/Dragon Pulse

Boom! Here comes the firepower! Mega Zard-Y is fulfilling a fairly simple role in this team: kill as many Pokémon as possible. Fire Blast is a massively damaging STAB moves, 159 SAtk and the Drought boost makes Fire Blast something horrible to be reckoned with. Solarbeam is to hit Rock/Water/Ground types who are coming in looking for a Stone Edge/Rock Slide. Focus Blast is to help with those omnipresent Heatrans, HP Rock is to deal with other Zard-Ys as Fire Blast hits other Flying types harder. (HP Ice is to deal with Landorus-I and T, as well as Gliscor which is quite nasty for this team.) I tend to use Rock as the other options I'm looking out for can be covered by the rest of my team. Typical EV Spread; get as much Special Attack and Speed as possible, tear through teams. As suggested by Suaver - thanks! - I've replaced HP Ice for Dragon Pulse (an option for Zard-X; although it will mostly come down to speed ties.) after been shown these calcs:
  • 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor in Sun: 399-469 (112.7 - 132.4%) - Guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T in Sun: 378-445 (98.9 - 116.4%) - 93.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 200-236 (66.2 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 246-290 (82.5 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Well that was a bit more straightforward; onwards and upwards to team member number 4! This time we're going to look at another defensive Pokémon

Pokemon #4
Zapdos

Piers Nivans (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 0Atk
- Defog
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave/Toxic/Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost/Roar

Pretty standard, defensive Zapdos set. We have another, safer method of removing hazards [thanks to Defog changes in Gen 6] along with a hefty physical wall, to put some sweepers in their tracks. Roost is to heal any hits it takes on switch in; Heat Wave to hurt Ice mons going for it; destroys Bisharp and has a chance to burn physical attackers it has switched in on. Toxic is another great stalling device for Zapdos, whereas HP Ice lets it hurt Gliscor, which otherwise has an easy time against Zapdos. If you're feeling confident enough, Roar is an option to help sweep away setup sweepers.

Fifth member, assemble!

Pokemon #5
Rotom-Wash

Leon Kennedy (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump

Typical Rotom-Wash set: Burn physical attackers, wall special attackers with 252 EVs in both defences. Apart from RestTalk or ChestoResto, Pain Split is our only other means of recovery. Dodgy as it is, it can put HUGE dents into walls like Blissey and Chansey, allowing a little more leeway for our huge hitters. Volt Switch used mainly for keeping momentum, Hydro Pump for hitting hard against the likes of Gliscor, Landy-T and Excadrill.

Last but not least, Member no.6!

Pokemon #6
Kyurem-Black

Albert Wesker (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 100 Spd / 252 Atk / 156 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam/Earth Power

Hit hard. Hit big. This guy does it all. Meteor to kill both Zard forms, other Kyurems, generally most Dragons in the tier, as well as being a HUGE STAB attack. Fusion Bolt to hit Fliers going for Hitmontop and Water types which haven't been dealt with by Zard-Y (IE If it has been OHKO'd), especially Keldeo; Iron Head to smash up Fairies/Rocks and either Ice Beam for Landorus/Gliscor and co. or Earth Power for Heatran/Steels in general.

Replays!
(In some of these I've been experimenting with LO Espeon and Thundurus-T as a change to Zard-Y, however other strategies/synergies are still present):

And there we have it! My first RMT, all finished! Suggestions greatly appreciated, noted and MAYBE even implemented!! Thanks for reading!

PS: Potential Changes to team thus far

I am looking at two major changes so far: Changes to Kyurem [Moveset/EV/Item overhaul] and a replacement for Hitmontop, namely Conkeldurr. So far these are what I'm looking into doing:

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Essentially swapping with Hitmontop to have a little more bulk, rather than a spinner. Mach/Drain Punch still kill Bisharp and Ice Punch helps deal with Gliscor, which Hitmontop cannot. Knock Off to slap around Aegislash who can otherwise switch in and setup for free and be a nuisance by slapping off Evios/Choice Items/Lefties etc.

With Kyurem I think I would only be changing the moveset currently as I feel that a lot of the standard revenge killers Kyurem can withstand. I'm currently looking at this:

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 156 SAtk / 100 Spd
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earth Power
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam

Outrage to get a bit more oomph out of Kyurem-B, as we're looking at a 439 Attack + STAB move. Earth Power for Heatrans and Rotom-Ws, Iron Head for Fairies and Rocks and Ice Beam for Fliers, Gliscor, Landy-T and the other usual Quad-Ice weak suspects.

Last edited:
i advise you to run Dragon Pulse or Roost > Hp Ice as Fire Blast does this.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor in Sun: 399-469 (112.7 - 132.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T in Sun: 378-445 (98.9 - 116.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
Also,

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 200-236 (66.2 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 246-290 (82.5 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Anyway, nice team and good luck:)

Ahhh ok, thanks! I can't believe I forgot to run calcs against Gliscor, thank you! Mind if I add these in to the RMT?

Some suggestions.Hitmontop is more of a check than a counter,sure it can survive bisharp's iron head but no bisharp will stay in on a hitmontop.I don't really think you should have hitmontop,zapdos with heat wave can handle bisharp well.

I've been juggling Hitmontop and AV Conkeldurr around, as mentioned in the RMT I know that Hitmontop is not necessarily fantastic in OU but I decided to put him in there and see if I can get it to work; so far this has been the case. He works well as a secondary way of removing hazards and does well against Aegislash as well, incase Zapdos gets KO'd and vice versa.

I actually really like the idea of this team. That Bronzong is actually pretty fierce now that I have thought about it. I also like the idea of Dragon Pulse, but if you don't run that why not replace HP Rock with Ancient Power? You have the same damage, and accuracy, but lose PP. But to make up for that you do have the chance of getting every stat raised? And plus people get thrown off by that and are like "What the hell?"

HP Rock was just a solid, reliable choice for me; my only issue is the 8 PP to be honest when it comes to Ancientpower.

you should fully invest in speed for the scarf set imo,you will get outspd and revenge killed by other scarfers.

The Zapdos Set:Roost,Heat Wave,Thunderbolt,Defog

Roost allows you to heal and defog several times while heat wave allows u to beat bisharp.

Can i edit some parts in your RMT?

"Fusion Bolt to hit waters targeting Zard-Y",most waters cannot target char Y as char Y has solarbeam and water attacks are halve in sun.

For hitmontop,conkeldurr outclasses it everywhere.It cannot learn rapid spin but looking you only have 2 pokemon weak to SR unlike my team,1 spinner/defogger is enough.Conk has more bulk and power with the ability to ignore burn while hitmontop has rapid spin.

I recomend u to just stick with one move for your mons,DECIDE.

Noted and noted! I know that there are better options out there; I was using Zong and Top together in a team a long time back and decided after seeing it work well if I could have a team with them in. I could do the same with Zong and replace with Heatran/Skarm/most things.

However the other edits etcetera I'll say I derped majorly there. This is what I get for posting RMTs at Ridiculous O'Clock, thanks!

Ok, I'll look through it now and tweak the moves; I think there's a few bits I messed up anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)