Zapdos

HP: 90
Atk: 90
Def: 85
SpA: 125
SpD: 90
Spe: 100

Ability:
Pressure: Increases the PP cost of moves targetting the Pokémon by one.

DreamWorld:
LightningRod: Redirects single-target Electric moves to this Pokémon where possible. Absorbs Electric moves, raising Special Attack one stage.

Code:
[B]Level-Up Moves[/B]

Lv1 Peck
Lv1 Thundershock
Lv8 Thunder Wave
Lv15 Detect
Lv22 Pluck
Lv29 Ancient Power
Lv36 Charge
Lv43 Agility
Lv50 Discharge
Lv57 Roost
Lv64 Light Screen
Lv71 Drill Peck
Lv78 Thunder
Lv85 Rain Dance

[B]TM/HMs Learned[/B]

TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team
TM37 Sandstorm
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM48 Round
TM57 Charge Beam
TM58 Sky Drop
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM72 Volt Switch
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Pluck
TM89 U-Turn
TM90 Substitute
TM93 Wild Charge
TM94 Rock Smash
HM01 Fly

[B]Gen IV Move Tutor[/B]

Shock Wave
Secret Power 
Steel Wing
Endure
Sleep Talk
Natural Gift
Defog
Air Cutter
Ominous Wind
Snore
Swift
Heat Wave
Mud-Slap
Signal Beam
Twister
Tailwind 
Sky Attack
GBU Doubles Sets
Zapdos @ Leftovers
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
Modest Nature
Ability: Pressure
- Tailwind / Substitute
- Heat Wave / HP Grass / HP Ice
- Thunderbolt / Discharge / Thunder
- Detect

With a base 125 Special Attack and great typing, Zapdos can fit into many teams. Zapdos runs a Modest nature, as Timid doesn't outspeed anything of importance. Heat Wave is only available in the 4th Generation games, but Hidden Power Grass and Ice can be used instead. Tailwind is always useful to have, and it's what makes Zapdos usable over Thundurus. Substitute allows Zapdos to avoid moves that can KO it, like an Ice Punch from an Expert Belt Weavile, as well as statuses it needs to avoid and could be used if Tailwind isn't needed. Thunderbolt or Discharge are both usable, but this choice usually depends on it's teammates. An Earthquake user or Telepathy partner work nicely if Discharge is used. Thunder is only really viable if Zapdos is part of a rain team. Detect is used for the slight chance of Imprison, but Protect can be used. Heat Wave hits Weavile, and gets boosted in the sun. HP Grass does 4x damage to Ground and Rock for 2x, while HP Ice helps against Grass-types on sun teams. Zapdos is rarely OHKOed, and can usually KO back because of it's large Special Attack. Leftovers adds to it's bulk, making Zapdos even more threatening. To ensure Zapdos can take an Ice Punch from Expert Belt Weavile, 232 EVs can be moved to HP.

Now to discuss! If you know any different sets feel free to tell me and I'll add them.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Thread needs to focus more on Zapdos' current role as Lightningrod is unreleased. Speculation can come after if you wish.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Discharge is cool because it's a spread attack and works well with Earthquake users such as Garchomp; it's a good idea to mention that. Zapdos also stops Metagross and Staraptor easily, and I think its defensive utility should be emphasized, as that's really the main reason to use it over Thundurus until Lightningrod is released.

Yes, its defensive powers, Heat Wave, and Tailwind are why it is used instead of Thundurus when it is being used. I don't think Substitute is really better than Tailwin or a Hidden Power for Zapdos as not much KOs it to begin with, only thing that really jumps to mind is Blizzard which is why I use Yache berry but even that isn't too necessary.

Cassie

giant claw
Do you guys have any specific Defensive sets? I've been using this set and it's worked really well. I'll put Tailwind over Substitute, but for this set if for some reason Heat Wave isn't available the Hidden Powers should be a choice I think.

Do you guys have any specific Defensive sets? I've been using this set and it's worked really well. I'll put Tailwind over Substitute, but for this set if for some reason Heat Wave isn't available the Hidden Powers should be a choice I think.
Designed for doubles obviously:

Timid Zapdos @ Leftovers
192 HP / 64 Def / 252 Spe
Discharge
Substitute
Protect (over Detect for PP issues)
Roost

Stalls like a beast. When people think you're Protecting, Substitute. He's fast enough to Substitute and absorb the hit even even if they target him.
Max speed for fast Roosting (he can take the hit) and Substitute.

Seriously this guy is a bitch. Gets everything paralyzed and adds a horrible guessing game. Don't need Spcl Att since his job is to stall, paralyze stuff and just annoy. Add him with Swampert or Garchomp (beware of Blizzard lol) for extra lulz - they compliment each other pretty nicely. Earth Gem Swampert OHKOs so many stuff, I've got a lot of double KOs on people expecting a weaker Swampert.
Just make sure his partner can deal enough damage.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
Detect is preferred over Protect because Imprison + Protect is more common than using all of Detect's PP.

I think that Zapdos is only used over Rotom-W or Thundurus because of Heat Wave (the only way to touch Abomasnow). Everything else is pretty much outclassed D:

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
I'd have to agree with muffinhead. With Rotom-W's excellent typing and Thundurus's access to Prankster, there are simply better options than Zapdos. However, Zapdos also gets Tailwind, which is incredibly useful by itself, especially with Zapdos's bulk, and which neither Thundurus nor Rotom-W receive. Any Zapdos set pretty much has to make use of either of those two, or it'll be mostly outclassed.

It's worth noting that Zapdos only needs 156 Speed EVs to outspeed Smeargle and Sub before it can Dark Void (though watch out for scarf).

I never understood the popularity of ZapChomp. Any weather rapes it, Trick Room laughs, Dark Void Smeargle shuts down permamently, Fake Out user + any set up also lols. Seems like a pretty lazy combo akin to Electivire + Lanturn to be honest (ok, maybe not as bad because it has some actual synergy, but still).

Zappy is going to stay overshadowed by Thunderus until LightningRod is released. If PO usage stats are of any indication (16 place in usage stats for DW OU this month), it is actually going to be pretty awesome once it's released. Too bad about Heat Wave, because DW Zapdos will probably won't get it. :/

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Zapchomp is amazing lol. Their surprising bulk allows them to take almost any attack, and it lols at sand and sun thanks to Garchomp's Earthquake and Zapdos's bulk letting it abuse Heat Wave to KO the Grass-types on sun or hail teams or set up Tailwind. Rain and TR are the only things that are annoying, and a whole bunch of other stuff loses to that as well. Fake Out disables one of them, but leaves the other free to do huge damage with their powerful STAB attacks and bulk.

I've used ZapChomp and had it used against me, and as long as it isn't just "SPAM SPREAD MOVES OMG" it's very difficult to get past with most goodstuffs teams or even weather outside of a very few combos; they can be EVed to survive almost any hit, and they can hit back hard. It doesn't stop Trick Room from going up, but it can 2HKO most Trick Room attackers, and as previously mentioned, it's very difficult to OHKO either of them thanks to their huge bulk. No, it's not infallible, there are Pokemon and combos which can beat it, but for a reliably powerful duo which can take care of a variety of opposing lead pairs, ZapChomp is perfect. The duo is part of the reason why Pokemon such as Weavile and Abomasnow, and Blizzard in general, is so common.

Zapdos has bulk over Thundurus, which is incredibly useful, allowing it to take Weavile's Ice Punch and Abomasnow's Blizzard, as well as Heat Wave and Tailwind to KO Aboma and speed up its teammates. Those are plenty of niches over Thundurus. Dream World Zapdos also will not get Heat Wave, it's a gen 4 tutor move.

EDIT: Yes it could get it, sorry.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've recently been giving Zapdos a run out, and it's a different kettle of fish to Thundurus I find. Thundurus seems to work well abusing prankster, to TWave everything into the ground and get subs up. Zapdos partners with a lot well, has access to tailwind, and much more bulk than Thundurus, which can give it an edge sometimes. Just my two pence anyways.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
thundurus and zapdos may have the same typing but as dozz said have totally different roles

zapdos can use more bulk whereas thundurus really wants to benefit from its great offensive stats, so I honestly think full out offense sets on zapdos are not where it shines best in gbu.

also what six said about outspeeding smeargle!

otherwise looks good!

breh

強いだね
Zapdos can OHKO Abomasnow without having shitty coverage. That's enough to differentiate it.

EDIT: hahaha focus blast in vgc? sreiously? I thought you'd reccomend sludge bomb or something, but really?

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
However unreliable the move may be, Thundurus can OHKO Abomasnow with Life Orb Focus Blast. That's not saying Heat Wave isn't better, even for reliability alone, but Thundurus isn't hopeless against Abomasnow and isn't forced to give up coverage to do so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)