Yamask

Desumasu

Abilities:
Mummy - Any Pokemon making contact with this Pokemon will gain the ability Mummy also.

Movepool:
Level-Up:
1. Astonish
1. Protect
5. Disable
8. Haze
13. Night Shade
17. Evil Eye
21. Will-O-Wisp
25. Ominous Wind
29. Curse
33. Power Share
33. Guard Share
37. Shadow Ball
41. Grudge
45. Mean Look
49. Destiny Bond

Black & White TM/HM:
TM04 Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM19 Telekinesis
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Sing a Round
TM53 Energy Ball
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM63 Embargo
TM66 Payback
TM70 Flash
TM77 Psych Up
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM90 Substitute
TM92 Trick Room

Egg Moves:
Memento
Fake Tears
Nasty Plot
Endure
Heal Block
Imprison
Nightmare
Disable

Notable new Moves:
Evil Eye: Special Ghost-type, 50 BP, 100 acc, 10 PP; inflicts double damage on opponents afflicted with a status condition.

Power Share:
Other Psychic-type, 10 PP; adds up the Attack and Special Attack stats of the user and the target, and divides them between the two equally (essentially Pain Split for offensive stats)

Overview
:
Not much is really new with this new guy, ironically. It's a new Pokemon with a new ability, but that aside, it's essentially the same old token Ghost we've all come to know and love. Stat-wise, Desumasu is sort of a Specially-oriented, slightly-more-balanced version of Duskull. Its Special Attack, HP, and Speed exceed Duskull's, but Duskull boasts higher overall defenses. Still, 38/85/65 isn't bad in Little Cup, and leaves Desumasu room to be a reasonably decent CM sweeper, Will-O-Wisping wall, or Trick Room provider. The most unique thing about it seems to be its ability, Mummy, which essentially lets it negate the ability of anything that makes physical contact with it.

Potential Sets:
Mummy Wall
Desumasu @ Berry Juice / Prevolution Stone
EVs: 212 HP / 236 Def / 36 Speed
Nature: Bold
Ability: Mummy
- Will-O-Wisp
- Evil Eye
- Hidden Power (Fighting / Ground)
- Energy Ball / Protect / Disable

The real merit of this (or any) Desumasu set is that it's harder to actually make physical contact with it due to Mummy. Anyone trying to take it out with Pursuit or Sucker Punch will promptly find itself infected with Mummification, a huge problem since most users of those moves (Houndour, Croagunk, Munchlax, etc.) rely heavily on their abilities to grant them extra resistances or immunities, making them potentially easier to revenge-kill as a result. This is one of the few advantages it has as a defensive Ghost over the new Water-Ghost, Pururiru. Desumasu also has a slight one-up on Duskull, due to the fact that it's Specially-oriented-- meaning that it can rely on Hidden Power for coverage, unlike Duskull, who basically only has Shadow Sneak and Return off its better physical Attack (it's also a better user of Evil Eye as a result). The last slot is filler, for the most part... Energy Ball provides coverage on Water-types and the multitude of threatening new Ground-types, Protect can scout for Special moves, (which the set is weak to, and will usually have to flee from) or Disable can be used on a supereffective move to stall or force switches. Since it has no means of recovery, Berry Juice is the preferred option, but it can use Prevolution Stone to absorb more physical damage and take Special attacks better.

Calm Mind
Desumasu @ Berry Juice
EVs: 212 HP / 76 Def / 156 SDef / 36 Speed
Nature: Bold
- Will-O-Wisp
- Evil Eye
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power (Fighting)

The last set was made primarily to screw over physical attackers with Burn and Mummy, but suffered by being vulnerable on the Special side. This set fixes that by adding Calm Mind to this mix. With Calm Mind bolstering its Special Defense and Will-O-Wisp defending it physically, not to mention the fact that both boost Evil Eye's power even further, it becomes an offensive threat at the same time. Though overall, this sort of thing is usually done better by Misdreavus, Desumasu is not completely outclassed at it due to the fact that it has better Defense than Missy, and also Mummy to abuse it with.

Nasty Room (recommended by Darkamber8828)
Desumasu @ Berry Juice / Prevolution Stone / Life Orb
EVs: 212 HP / 156 Def / 76 SAtk // 0 Speed IVs
Nature: Relaxed
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power (Fighting)

Though Trick Room + stat-up options are generally not preferable together, since using a Stat-up move takes up a precious turn of that Trick Room counter, Desumasu DOES get Nasty Plot, and is eager to find ways to prove itself to be not just an inferior Misdreavus. Shadow Ball with HP Fighting gets perfect neutral coverage, and after one Plot up, it can start punching some big holes with few things to stop it. Most priority-users that try to stop it will be either laughed at (Vacuum Wave) or Mummified (everything else except Ice Shard), leaving it mostly-open to sweep until its Trick Room expires. Berry Juice is the obligatory option, letting it set up more easily, although Evolution Stone can be used to let it try to set up Trick Room more than once after it Plots Nastily, and Life Orb is even an option for some extra damage output.

Other options include setting Trick Room, which is done rather better by other Ghost Pokes with better resources to do so (Gastly, Duskull, Shuppet), as well as a gimmick set utilizing Power Share to mess up sweepers. Mean Look is something it gets with interesting potential, but it's hard to fit the move into any of its sets that could use it well.

Thoughts? Set ideas? Anything I should fix? Discuss.

DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU

Anyway, this thing not getting Pain Split is sad.

How about Trick Room/Nasty Plot/Shadow Ball/HP Fighting @ Berry Juice?

Also, obligatory mention or slash of Pre-evolution stone? This not getting recovery makes it inferior, but it is there.

...Yeah, Pururiru has much more utility.

It looks a bit like Baltoy.

Holy crap, it does kind of look like Baltoy. :0

Ah, Nasty Plot I forgot to mention, yeah. Although really I figure that'd be done better by Missy, and Trick Room + Stat-up moves is generally not favorable, since you get fewer turns to sweep... but yeah, I guess it's worth a mention.

I actually had Prevolution stone on there, but I took it off because I decided that recovery was more important. I suppose it's viable on the wall set, though... Man, if only it had Pain Split. D: Duskull's gonna be a nasty wall with Pain Split + Prevo Stone bolstering those already ridiculous defenses.

Yeah... well... that's what CM or your 4x Grass resistors are for.

Anyway, made changes to the OP.
BUMP!

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Desumasu should NEVER try to set up CMs imho, because of its poor speed and lack of priority, which makes it highly susceptible to Monmen. Monmen enters on a CM, Encores, and stats annoying you to hell and back with SubSeed.

Monmen can even frikkin stop Zuruggu in its tracks if it enters on a DD. So basically, Monmen ruins almost all possible setup mons like Desumasu can do, from personal experience.

Just saying.

Yikes. I see your point. :O ...hm... I don't know if Desumasu even really has anything to deal with Monmen. >.>' gets raped by SubSeed, CM or otherwise; maybe it could carry HP Fire? -___-'

...hm. I wonder if Heal Block stops Leech Seed.

Hmm. Well it's not like it would do much good anyway, as you'd have to predict the switch, and there aren't many other Pokemon that it would be useful against anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)