Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (B- and C+ Pokemon discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd nominate Blastoise (Mega) to "B Rank" if for no other reason that it is almost impossible to Spin Block it effectively. Plus it is strong enough to pick off weaken mons just fine. Also the combination of Aura Sphere Dark Pulse and Water Pulse/Scald/Hydro Pump isn't resisted except for Azumarill if I remember correctly Just my two cents.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Treecko is right, Mega Blastoise is only really used as a spinner since its complete lack of recovery means it can't even serve as the 'bulky Water' of the team. Granted its attacks can be hard to wall, but even with its good bulk and high power it lacks survivability, so whenever it gets a spin it usually sustains quite a bit of damage that it cannot shrug off, especially given its vulnerability to hazards. I mean, yeah it boasts successful spins, but the hazard setters can typically outlast Mega Blastoise so often the spins won't matter, and you've lost your Mega. The Mega part is what really bites it for Blastoise, as it would be incompatible with Mega Zard and Mega Pinsir who would love spins with that high of a success rate. C+ for it I guess.

As for Chansey, the Knock Off arguments so far do little to sway its ranking, but its overall helplessness against the meta's best special attackers do not do it justice, and it is total setup fodder for many Pokemon due to its mono-Fighting coverage and predictable damage range, meaning Chansey is one of the few Pokemon that literally cannot hax you, unless it runs Thunder Wave. Blissey at least has the option to use special moves like Flamethrower to roasts Steels to prevent setup, and Ice Beam to hit stuff like Gliscor and Zygarde. Blissey also has Leftovers, meaning its job as a cleric and 'team player' role is easier than that of Chansey's, the latter of which has to keep constant watch on her own health. I also feel like Blissey at least does a better job at walling pure special attackers than Chansey does; while Chansey's mixed defenses are superior, mixed attackers have various ways of screwing over Chansey anyway, especially if entry hazards are involved. Blissey should be of higher rank than Chansey, and Chansey should be booted down from A Rank too.

I was going through the Analysis list and apparently Weezing's slated to get an OU analysis, so I guess I'm going to nomnomnom Weezing.

Weezing, surprisingly, is a pretty good Pokemon in the metagame right now. Instead of writing thesis papers about it, I'm going to just bullet-point stuff.

Pros
  • Really good physical bulk
  • Poison typing is pretty anti-meta right now (resists Fighting (MLuke, Conk, etc.) and Bug (Gene, Sciz, MPinz).Levitate makes it immune to one of its two biggest weaknesses (also most relevant weakness), which is bomb-ass
  • Haze counters boosting sweepers.
  • Destiny Bond makes sure that no one wants to 2HKO Weezing
  • Will-O-Wisp nails switch-ins with status
  • Not dead weight on offensive teams. Access to Flamethrower/Fire Blast to nail MLuke/Bugs. Memento keeps offensive momentum
  • Black Sludge
  • Smogon's flagship bitch times 2
Cons
  • Semi-reliable recovery in the form of Pain Split
  • 4MSS. Usually it'll be just running Pain Split/STAB or Fire-Move/D-Bondage or Memento or Haze or Will-o-Wisp
  • Bad Special bulk
  • Excadrill shits in its cereal for breakfast
  • Poison's still a bad offensive typing
  • Mega-Medicham exists
  • Slower than every single relevant offensive threat bar Conkeldurr
Verdict: B/C+
Summary: Even though it's pretty bulky offensively, the lack of recovery limits the number of times it can sit in on a Pokemon. Super-crap Special bulk allows for the tier's prime Special sweepers to force it to switch out.

He's getting an OU analysis?! That's great!

Weezing is one of the poison types I remember from Gen 1 alongside Muk who were with great defense (with Weezing being the special attacking defensive tank in a way while also carrying one less weakness while Muk was more mixed I guess) but seemed to suffer due to their other weakness being primarily special.

Now Weezing can be a great asset to teams looking for the bulky defensive pokemon. Poison is still one of the best defensive typings due to resisting fighting, grass, bug, and fairy. Paring this guy with a dark type like say Tyranitar could make quite the core in my mind. With even the possibility of taking some special hits as he can abuse Will-o-Wisp if one wishes to use max out sp def for what its worth.

Now if he had a recovery move outside of Pain Split (which isn't bad off of 65 base HP but could be better), id say he could go higher. But B- or C+ seems very fitting for the gas monster.

Last edited:
My bad, Aegislash can OHKO with Rocks.

Why Vivillon could viably be in OU: Access to Compoundeyes, Sleep Powder, Hurricane, and Quiver Dance, and above-average stats for a special Bug-type. She can come in and reliably sleep a Pokemon with 93% accuracy. Hurricane's accuracy get's boosted to 91% as well. Quiver Dance is a great boosting move. +2/2 Vivillon can reliably sweep entire teams. And nothing is more embarrassing than seeing your team taken apart by a cute little butterfly.
Vivillion does not have an OU analysis, so we will not rank it.

I'll second Politoed for B, along with Kingdra for B - the two practically always go together anyway, and swift swim Kingdra is pretty amazing with significant support from Politoed.

I agree with Politoed for B. Kingdra should be somewhere in C though. Despite good typing it has speed issues, and the focus meteor set currently giving it new life still demands setup turns. Politoed offers immediate power with specs but also has utility roles available to it, not to mention just starting rain by existing is pretty useful (particularly considering sun/sand are the main weathers seen at all now due to hippo/ttar/Yzard).

I feel you should quickly research what you type before actually typing it :P

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/vivillon.3489938/
That's just a thread about Vivillon.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
I agree with Politoed for B. Kingdra should be somewhere in C though. Despite good typing it has speed issues, and the focus meteor set currently giving it new life still demands setup turns. Politoed offers immediate power with specs but also has utility roles available to it, not to mention just starting rain by existing is pretty useful (particularly considering sun/sand are the main weathers seen at all now due to hippo/ttar/Yzard).

That's just a thread about Vivillon.
That is a discussion thread, not an analysis. TooMuchSugar is correct.
Haha, yup, screwed up there, I just could have sworn that Vivillion had its own analysis, so I quickly searched it up. Sorry bout that, made me look extremely stupid.

Anyway, going on what TooMuchSugar said, Politoed would fit well within the B category, and Kingdra would be around B-, because despite its SwiftSwim and Focus Energy Niche, it still has rather average stats for a dragon, plus the weather nerf still makes it slightly less viable.

Um I specifically mentioned Swift Swim kingdra, which mitigates its speed and requires no setup turns if you use it with politoed. The critdra set is all right, but swift swim partnered with Politoed is the main reason I see it in B. I guess B- works because it doesn't provide the additional antiweather support toed does (lol rain is antiweather now) but on the other hand, kingdra is a hell of a lot more threatening than politoed.

I believe weezing is getting an analysis because it got poison spikes this gen. Does it get anything else?

I believe weezing is getting an analysis because it got poison spikes this gen. Does it get anything else?
Nothing else new, no. It's also not the most viable Pokemon either; a lot of Pokemon can do everything it can better, so the only real niche it has is that it can do a wide variety of things simultaneously.

Has anybody looked at Victini? I've been having a lot of success with him using a pretty standard set for him. Choice Band is the item, but I've honestly been thinking about Air Balloon, his attack is high enough and his attacks are all strong enough that you don't NEED a band/orb/belt/plate, I've never heard of people using Balloon on him, which does make me wonder, but it erases Earthquake and non-SR hazards, at least gives time to U-Turn out.

V-Create (strongest attack in the game, Stab, and U-Turn makes the drawback matter a lot less)
Bolt Strike (strongest electric attack in the game, checks any water type that you would come across)
Zen Headbutt (strong Stab, gives good coverage) or Brick Break (coverage and gives something to punch T-Tar/Heatran)
U-Turn (It's U-Turn)

having 2 moves with hyphen's in them is enough for me.

It's great against Scizor, Talonflame, Genesect, Venusaur, Pinsir, to name a few. the non-flying Dragons can be tough, as well as Heatran/T-Tar if you aren't packing Balloon. Aegislash is also a problem being able to Sneak then Shield you.

Rain was really it's biggest enemy last gen, which is basically non-existent now. It is weak to every entry hazard, which can understandably turn off a lot of people, and Heatran/Tyranitar are both pretty common threats, I still think his raw power puts him for at least some consideration, any thoughts?

I guess he fits around a C+/B- if I had to give him a rank.

it's not so great because of the amount of weaknesses he has, while he does remove one with balloon, the amount of other weaknesses he has are common enough where this problem is mitigated

basically, the main ways of KOing him isn't through EQ unlike pokemon like excadrill and heatran

Why use air balloon Victini when you could use Choice Band or Choice Scarf? It just seems like a gimmicky way to temporarily get around one weakness at the cost of attacking power or speed. That said, C+ or B- is perfectly good for it and I'm not disputing that it's really hard to switch into.

Why use air balloon Victini when you could use Choice Band or Choice Scarf? It just seems like a gimmicky way to temporarily get around one weakness at the cost of attacking power or speed. That said, C+ or B- is perfectly good for it and I'm not disputing that it's really hard to switch into.
It was just something I'd thought of, I haven't actually used it. I've only used the Choice Band and I tried the Expert Belt, but too often it just wasn't doing enough. I acknowledged there was likely a reason I'd never heard it discussed, it just sounded good covering it's hazard and ground weakness.

I've just been extremely impressed overall with Victini, it has so much raw power, and was OU last gen despite more weaknesses in Gen V (weather dominance and the abundance of bulky waters), and hadn't heard anything about it, if anything, i just wanted it to be discussed.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
It was just something I'd thought of, I haven't actually used it. I've only used the Choice Band and I tried the Expert Belt, but too often it just wasn't doing enough. I acknowledged there was likely a reason I'd never heard it discussed, it just sounded good covering it's hazard and ground weakness.

I've just been extremely impressed overall with Victini, it has so much raw power, and was OU last gen despite more weaknesses in Gen V (weather dominance and the abundance of bulky waters), and hadn't heard anything about it, if anything, i just wanted it to be discussed.
Actually, Victini was solid UU for the majority of Gen V, though it did receive a suspect test in its time. The Dark and Ghost buff did it no favors since it cannot ruthlessly smash targets like Mawile and Aegislash without being sideswiped, and Talonflame counters in Rotom-W, Tyranitar, and Heatran happen to tank Victini just as well. I won't deny its power and coverage, but fixed 100 base Speed does little favors for it, especially with its best move lowering said speed, although the easier hazard removal makes the prospect of U-turning not as big of an ordeal as it was. I could probably draw parallels to it and Mega Gardevoir with their wallbreaking capability via high power nuking attacks as well as their dubious defensive typing which can undermine their bulk.

haunter

Banned deucer.
I think you're underselling Victini's potential. While it's certainly not going to appreciate the abundance of ghost/dark moves in this generation, it still hits ridiculously hard and can wallbreak with a CB set. The fact that the metagame is shifting towards bulky offense is good news for Victini, since it has solid all round 100 base stats and an excellent movepool to back them up (v-create, bolt strike, u-turn, brick beak, zen headbutt).

Much like Staraptor, it can function as a sweeping partner for Talonflame, since they tend to share many counters (Rotom-W, TTar etc.). Just to provide some examples:

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 190-224 (62.5 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 169-201 (55.5 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 186-219 (46 - 54.2%) -- 51.6% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 416-492 (102.9 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 261-307 (73.7 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 259-306 (61.6 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 214-252 (55.4 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also, the fact that stealth rock is now much easier to remove from the field (thanks to defog and Excadrill) is a blessing for Victini since, with the appropriate suppport, it can actually use its natural bulk without losing 1/4 of its health each time it switches in.

Finally, Victini also has access to u-turn and does pretty well in volt-turn teams.

I recently played at Showdown and given what I see in practice (although some of the options are not very common, I think that this changes should be made:
Mega Venusaur S > A+ (Reason: Flying and Psyuchic being common types together, uses the Mega slot). I still admit that's very good.
Latios A+ > A (Reason: Reduced usage, Aegislash on the top, Dark and Ghost types buffed)
Latias A+ > A For the same reasons than Latios.
Mega Charizard Y A > A+ (Sun is nerfed but Charizard Y is very powerful). If they are evaluating as a pokemon, they should be S (yes, Charizard in S-tier)
Dragonite A > A+ (Multiscale with reliable recovery, a big variety of sets (offensive, tank, wall DD, mixed), various viable items, less Stealth Rocks)
Kyurem-B: A > A+: 170 Base Attak with the ability of using items freely, Outrage 2HKOing steels, Fusion Bolt hitting many of the fairies, can use special options with Life Orb + 120 base SpA, only pokemon that can use a 2-turn move in OU, very good defenses for a sweeper).
Salamence C+ > B-: It's the best mixed Dragon/Flying with having a useful mixed movepool, various sets viable, two great abilities, faster Dragon Dancer than Dragonite. There are better dragons, but Salamence is not on the level of Diggersby.
Chansey: A > B-: No Leftovers, the Eviolite can be removed with Knock Off, Ghost wall it all day, 404 HP Pokemon also wall it all day, Taunt bait, Setup bait.

In Bold the one that I think needs a change as soon as possible.

I will start doing one nomination:
Roserade for B/B-.
For the following reasons:
-It's the perfect counter of Rotom-W. Natural Cure ures of status, can sleep it before use Volet Switch, 2HKO with Giga Drain, Hydro Pump does pitful damage.
-Has more than acceptable Special Defense. It an sponge various non-suppective attaks with ease.
-Has reovery through Leftovers and Giga Drain. If you want more power, Energy Ball is available.
-Sludge Bomb takes care of the Fairies and Grass types and gives relatively good coverage outside Poison and Steels. It an round overage with Hidden Power Fire, Shadow Ball or Dazzling Gleam, overage that is rare in Grass types.
-It can use various sets with various varations Being a (Toxic) Spiker (with the bonus of absorbing the Toxic ones), being a full sweeper, Being a special tank.

However it has its flaws:
-His coverage is decent but not spetaular and its walled by Steel types that resist Grass.
-Has low physical defense, even with the buff that it got in X/Y.
-90 Speed, while not being bad, it's less than many OU threats , many of them being physical sweepers or have a suppereffective move.

Edit: I think that we need more changes:
Deoxys-S S > A+ Hazards are common but they are not what they were before. Many times don't have hazards and if 10 teams with hazards, 9 run only Stealth Rock. With so much priority in the tier, with anti-lead with Knok Off, with Defog and a new (old) spinner, Excadrill, I thin that deserves A+. Still an excellent lead. Honestly, I'm borderline with it.
Bisharp A > B+ Way buffed but not enough. He has three common weakness , one of them being a x4 one, that even though is not 5th Gen is fairly common in the metagame right now. Is slow for a sweeper, Stiky Web is rare, Intimidate only gives in pratice +1 and Defog can be predicted easily by your opponent. And random drops of Defense/Special Defense are unreliable, nd Bisharp resist many of those moves, and Biusharp isn't absorbing Focus Blast. And Suker Punch an be stalled rather easily (swith, non-attacking moves)

Last edited:
Deoxys-S S > A+ Hazards are common but they are not what they were before. Many times don't have hazards and if 10 teams with hazards, 9 run only Stealth Rock. With so much priority in the tier, with anti-lead with Knock Off, with Defog and a new (old) spinner, Excadrill, I think that deserves A+. Still an excellent lead.
Welcome to the forums! I'm the guy that has defended Deoxys-S many times over and I'm pleased to hear many opinions about Deoxys-S. This post, though, only focuses on the hazard set; while great, it's not the only set it can run. Dual Screens is viable, though better done by its Defense Forme. Trick Scarf is there, I have plagued the forums with a Damp Rock Set (I'm sorry), and an All-Out Offense set are the other possibilities. A Fire Punch or an Ice Beam won't give the set away, while a Hazard or a Screen might. Even then, Deoxys-S has ways around the usual checks. Mandibuzz doesn't like being Taunted, Excadrill is weak to Fire Punch and Superpower, Tyranitar is typically OHKO'd by Superpower, Genesect is roasted, most Dragons can kiss their behinds good-bye thanks to Ice Beam, etc. Deoxys-S is, quite literally, the most versatile Pokemon in the current metagame and is a devilish tool when in the right hands.

I also think Defog is being overhyped slightly...not at Knock Off levels when talking about Chansey, but overhyped nevertheless. Defog is a serious double-edged sword, as most teams enjoy having hazards on the other side. Unless you can put up some hazards right after Defog, you're better off doing something else. Many Rapid Spinners have problems when coming in against Deoxys-S. Excadrill, Tentacruel, Hitmontop, Forretress, and Donphan are taken down by a Super-Effective hit. As for Starmie...actually, Starmie resists everything AND can beat Deoxys-S one on one (how about that?) Deoxys-S deserves the S Rank thanks to versatility and effectiveness, as well as the lack of direct counters because of these factors. Priority a problem? Yeah, but try switching the user in first.

the reason that I put Deoxys-S is A+ is because I consider S a "special tier". The pokemon that deserves S rank are exclusively the pokemon that are too good that had no counters whatsover and very few checks, that can destroy team easily, that could be suspected. This is the reason why I don't see Deoxys-S is S-rank for me. Remembered that he is UU (even though it's clearly broken here).

If Deoxys-S is S-rank Mega Venusaur is S-rank. But in that case, I think that Rotom-W is S-rank (Grass-types rare, key resistances, perfect pivot, metagame designed for him) and possibly Heatran (has a lot of viable sets, among them 5 viable attacking fire attacks, an be defensive or offensive, key resistances (and between them a 1/4 resistant to fairy, which is unique to him, the pokemon less affected by resist more Ghost and Dark speial attaks after the steel nerf, can use gimmicky sets (Sun Teams*, Mixed Tran) or adapt to gimmicky environment (Trick Room). Also two of his weakness are not that common right now).

I'm going to do an analysis check of standard Roserade vs common OU threads to see the results and if they deserved the rank that I posted.

*When I said Sun teams, I said teams made with sun on mind that have more than Mega Charizard Y to abuse sun that including back ups with Ninetales and Sunny Day setters (with Heatran does well) to fully abuse the weather.

I recently played at Showdown and given what I see in practice (although some of the options are not very common, I think that this changes should be made:
Mega Venusaur S > A+ (Reason: Flying and Psyuchic being common types together, uses the Mega slot). I still admit that's very good.
I don't agree with those statements. Psychic is NOT common outside of STAB (and even then some Psychics don't carry it), with the only common user of Psychic attacks for coverage being Landorus-I, purely because he has no better attacks with which to abuse Sheer Force. Flying is in the same boat- no pokemon use Flying for anything but STAB. That makes such attacks very predictable. S-Rank doesn't mean that a pokemon can laugh off every attack in the meta and not be weak to anything. And your idea that a pokemon is weak to common attacks makes it not S makes no sense. There is literally no pokemon in the game (bar Eelektross, I suppose) that don't have weaknesses and such things have little weight on a pokemon's ranking. Tyranitar was S rank in Gen V despite being weak to half the meta, including the dominating Water and Fighting types- 2 typings that ARE used as coverage. Also the Mega slot argument is flawed- Mega Venusaur is not only one of the best megas, but it's the only truly defensive mega. Meanings that if you want good defenses in your mega-evo, Venusaur's easily your best option. That severely cuts down on competition for that mega slot, with the only serious alternatives being maybe Mega-Scizor or Mega-Aggron.

Rant over. Sorry, but I'm so sick of people saying Mega-Venu isn't S. Especially when no new arguments are brought up to say why. We've already used up something like 20 pages on discussing M-Venu's S ranking, he isn't budging.

I believe I said that-"the only common user of Psychic attacks for coverage being Landorus-I, purely because he has no better attacks with which to abuse Sheer Force".
Kind of a poor case. Kinda sick and tired (it's what I get for posting when I just wake up), so...my apologies. It pains me that many don't understand why Pokemon are ranked as they should.

Kind of a poor case. Kinda sick and tired (it's what I get for posting when I just wake up), so...my apologies. It pains me that many don't understand why Pokemon are ranked as they should.
Amen. We really need some write-ups for why pokemon are certain ranks, at least for S-Rank. Perhaps when ginganinja finally shows up some initial write ups can be provided and added.

Flying is also a type that every good team prepares for anyways, due to Talonflame. It makes sense that in a metagame where bulky offense is the way to go, the Mega that epitomizes that would be S rank. Mega-Venausaur is an amazing wall with only a few pokemon that can reliably take it down. I don't think any other pokemon forces me to play so conservatively as to where I HAVE to keep my answer to it around and gameplan around it, which is not easy to due how hard it is to find a good check/counter that can keep up with its longevity. Definitely Venasaur for S rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)